AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-08, 16:42   Link #1521
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Not advocating unsafe deeds... but come on, this is Alto we're talking about. Honestly do you think he'd carry around something like that? They were already at his house!
I bet he has a gunbelt of them.
Old 2008-09-09, 03:07   Link #1522
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Not advocating unsafe deeds... but come on, this is Alto we're talking about. Honestly do you think he'd carry around something like that? They were already at his house!
Where condoms were graciously made availabe by a thoughtful host and older brother.
Old 2008-09-09, 07:21   Link #1523
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

This discussion is funny. Might as well hypothesize that Alto and his brother tag teamed her.
Old 2008-09-09, 07:50   Link #1524
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I don't really see a problem with these two characters having a more intimate relationship, as could be surmised from that scene in episode 22. But, clearly, most fans do. I suppose that letting it be very vague and "in the eye of the beholder" is the most sophisticated way out, really.

And, honestly, laying out a real-life parallel here: people with AIDS do have sex most of the time. They just use protection - or their loved ones do not really care about it. What should be different here? I mean, we don't even know if it's all that transmissible of a disease. Maybe they'd be alright, even if they did do it?

Just wanna see how it turns out.

Old 2008-09-09, 07:52   Link #1525
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I don't really see a problem with these two characters having a more intimate relationship, as could be surmised from that scene in episode 22. But, clearly, most fans do. I suppose that letting it be very vague and "in the eye of the beholder" is the most sophisticated way out, really.

And, honestly, laying out a real-life parallel here: people with AIDS do have sex most of the time. They just use protection - or their loved ones do not really care about it. What should be different here? I mean, we don't even know if it's all that transmissible of a disease. Maybe they'd be alright, even if they did do it?

Just wanna see how it turns out.
The vast majority doesnīt have a problem at all if they made love. At least here, I donīt know how the rest of the net looks at it. ^^
Old 2008-09-09, 08:03   Link #1526
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
The vast majority doesnīt have a problem at all if they made love. At least here, I donīt know how the rest of the net looks at it. ^^
Guess it's just one of those vocal minorities things, then. But I have read some comments on this board of people actively thrashing the notion of their having sex with statements like "he wouldn't have done that to a girl in her condition" or "she wouldn't risk exposing him" and stuff.
Dunno, suppose it goes with the level of tolerance, eh?

Old 2008-09-09, 08:24   Link #1527
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Guess it's just one of those vocal minorities things, then. But I have read some comments on this board of people actively thrashing the notion of their having sex with statements like "he wouldn't have done that to a girl in her condition" or "she wouldn't risk exposing him" and stuff.
Dunno, suppose it goes with the level of tolerance, eh?
This topic is so hotly debated that without an official statement it will never be resolved. Either Kawamori gives in to fans mail pestering or he'll leave it up to us to decide. Personally I'm in favor of kiss.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-09-09, 08:31   Link #1528
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I don't mind everyone having their own ideas, myself.

But I'd love a Sheryl Jr.

Old 2008-09-09, 08:37   Link #1529
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I don't mind everyone having their own ideas, myself.

But I'd love a Sheryl Jr.
Yes, Sheryl and Alto need to provide us with the cast for the next series

Old 2008-09-09, 08:47   Link #1530
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
Like a Mattel Factory eh?
Old 2008-09-09, 08:51   Link #1531
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Like a Mattel Factory eh?
I hope you find some wit before the next series.
Old 2008-09-09, 08:53   Link #1532
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I hope you find some wit before the next series.
God, no... then I'd have to actually read his posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
YES!!!
You know, that was probably the only reason I did try to watch Macross 7, the Jenius' offspring. If only more of the original cast were there, as well...

Old 2008-09-09, 09:36   Link #1533
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
While I do find the idea of Alto and Sheryl hooking up in a moment of strong emotions and boiling hormones to be very hot, I don't think they kissed this time. Only an asshole director would build up a romance for this long and then gloss over a pivotal moment like their first kiss (okay, their first consensual kiss on both sides) with a pan-out. And I would like to think that Kawamori is not an asshole.
Old 2008-09-09, 09:41   Link #1534
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
While I do find the idea of Alto and Sheryl hooking up in a moment of strong emotions and boiling hormones to be very hot, I don't think they kissed this time. Only an asshole director would build up a romance for this long and then gloss over a pivotal moment like their first kiss (okay, their first consensual kiss on both sides) with a pan-out. And I would like to think that Kawamori is not an asshole.
Eh, most of the Japanese fandom think they had sex. You will also have to be careful with the text being said according to cultural context.

Since there is really not a direct word in Japanese that can sums up the phrase "lets make love", you camouflage it by other means. When Sheryl said, in that situation, "give me courage", it pretty much meant "lets make love".

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-09, 09:42   Link #1535
Westlo
Lets be reality

For the no kiss crowd, please don't tell me you missed that their heads moved together? At the very least they rested their foreheads together... and considering the situation and dialogue...
Old 2008-09-09, 09:52   Link #1536
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
For the no kiss crowd, please don't tell me you missed that their heads moved together? At the very least they rested their foreheads together... and considering the situation and dialogue...
I'll need to watch that scene again. It looked to me like they just held each other. I guess I'm the type who needs word-of-god confirmation or I'll just have to wait for Sheryl to start getting morning sickness XD
Old 2008-09-09, 10:20   Link #1537
Wesley84

Judging from Alto's appearance, it wasn't very rough or passionate sex. Matter of fact, it doesn't even look like he took off his clothes, and I doubt he's got enough imagination to...try other stuff. If they did have sex, it was probably brief, awkward, and just not very good. An experience Alto won't want to repeat any time soon, and probably not with a woman.
Old 2008-09-09, 10:28   Link #1538
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Eh, most of the Japanese fandom think they had sex. You will also have to be careful with the text being said according to cultural context.

Since there is really not a direct word in Japanese that can sums up the phrase "lets make love", you camouflage it by other means. When Sheryl said, in that situation, "give me courage", it pretty much meant "lets make love".

- Tak
Even with all of this, Tak, I can't make myself believe that this was the result of that scene. I simply can't, even though I would like to. It's not that I won't acknowledge cultural context. Even I understand why most of Japan think they had sex. It's just that this somehow doesn't fit into that scene.

Old 2008-09-09, 10:32   Link #1539
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
It's really strongly implied with the pan away to the starry sky. Discreet pan aways are not done for pivotal kiss scenes. A close up or pan around is more suitable for that.

The whole mood of the scene, the downbeat music, etc. suggests something like

"they made love desperately in the quiet dark, seeking a momentary solace in each other's arms."

Which is understandable why Sheryl may have doubts about if it was really love.

And please, don't spoil the scene with a explicit shot for the cheap thrill in the extended cut, Mr Director.

Last edited by glyph; 2008-09-09 at 11:19.
Old 2008-09-09, 10:34   Link #1540
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
And please, don't insert a explicit scene for the cheap thrill in the BR cut, Mr Director, not like that other guy.
What other guy?

Closed Thread

Tags
characters