AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-04-20, 11:55   Link #161
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Support them to the best of your financial capabilities.

As for myself...I'll probably get volume 1, maybe 2... I already have the Chinese version up to vol 11 lol, I'm not sure if I want to double dip. And we all know everything after 11 is git gud.

Plus I have to consider my limited space...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 12:02   Link #162
R.LocK
My turn

...I reaaaaaally hope that I will be able to buy first three novels in bulk. It'd be like a dream come true. Please, I already had to break my orders into smaller packages because of restocking >.> No more.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 13:43   Link #163
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Well we all know it's worth supporting. I will be buying every book, and you never know. Maybe volumes 12 and on will be translated better. If this becomes Yen Press's cash cow series, then they'll likely put lots of extra effort into it, and that could mean better phrased translations.

I'm sure the word-choice will be different in the official translation just saying...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 14:33   Link #164
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well if you haven't already imported it from Japan, then I don't see why you'd start now just because it was licensed in the US. As such, there's likely a reason you didn't import it, and I'm guessing it's likely because you don't read Japanese (at least not at a novelization level), as that's the most common reason.

So, if you'd be willing to import from Japan, but won't due to language barrier, and said item is not licensed in your country, I see no reason to completely disregard the option of importing from the US? Kind of just seems like an excuse not to pay.
I sometimes import games from Japan, but my Japanese is basic at best, so I cannot really do anything with RAW manga or LNs. Sometimes I get the Chinese version, which often are Japese voiced with English subs.

The "not importing licensed products"-rule has 2 reasons:
1. I rather support the licensors in my own country, because for me it's better in the long term if I don't need to import anything.
2. I don't like the idea of boosting the U.S. Economy with my money... take that as you will. I have my reasons for that. Though the whole thing about "licensed in US = end of fantranslation" has a part in that as well. So it is partially an ideological thing.

Of course the 1st reason is likely not applying here, as I doubt the LNs will ever be released in Germany, but who knows... well that means that I would have no problem if I imported it from the UK instead if it's available there (which I do sometimes with games anyway...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Well we all know it's worth supporting. I will be buying every book, and you never know. Maybe volumes 12 and on will be translated better. If this becomes Yen Press's cash cow series, then they'll likely put lots of extra effort into it, and that could mean better phrased translations.

I'm sure the word-choice will be different in the official translation just saying...
ESPer? Phych skill user? vs Magicans? Wizards? Magi?

Nah, they'll probably get the "great idea" of calling it "Science Magic" and "Occult Magic"...
Old 2014-04-20, 14:43   Link #165
Miraluka
Banned

Did they do something that stupid before to say that?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 14:55   Link #166
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Did they do something that stupid before to say that?
I admit that I am mostly refering to crunchyroll anime/manga translations here... so I may be wrong about Yen Press translations. But I heard people talking about railgun anime having been translated badly or something like that... so in short I heard many negative and as good as no positive things. Since I cannot remember even 1 good translation, how am I supposed to have an optimistic stance?
Old 2014-04-20, 15:21   Link #167
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

You mean Railgun manga? Even anime, what does that have to do with Yen Press? That is seven seas.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 15:26   Link #168
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
You mean Railgun manga? Even anime, what does that have to do with Yen Press? That is seven seas.
Basically I just wanted to say that I only saw few official english translations, but those I saw were usually bad, which makes me quite pessimistic about this.
Old 2014-04-20, 16:05   Link #169
R.LocK
My turn

I've read YP's translations of Book Girl. They're good. Stop being so negative about every other company out there.

>Against supporting US' economy.
>Not against supporting UK's economy.
Logic?
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 16:48   Link #170
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
I've read YP's translations of Book Girl. They're good. Stop being so negative about every other company out there.
Ok, then I take back what I said and take your word for the quality. Though I guess it depends on who actually becomes the translator in the end. Since Yen Press seems to be expanding from what I read so far, it is likely that they hire new translators as well, who can be either good or bad. But maybe they at least don't force rushed translations out, so maybe the reason why crunchy's TLs were bad was simply due to the TLs being forced to rush the translation instead of taking their time for it, as they have all those simul-casts etc. Well that may explain my negative image of the official english TLs... I DID see mostly rush-released official translations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
>Against supporting US' economy.
>Not against supporting UK's economy.
Logic?
I fear a license monopoly, which can have consequences that I have witnessed at least once already. But I won't dwell into that as it is offtopic. Come to think of it, this whole discussion is actually in the wrong thread to begin with
Old 2014-04-20, 17:43   Link #171
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Well I'll just say that by word choice I didn't mean the terms...

I meant getting rid of some of the expletives and having better scenery descriptions, more sophisticated word-choice. It isn't necessary, but I mean, I've read a scrapped princess LN in English for example, and the word choice is worlds away from anything in BT.

It's not like I don't like it the way it is, all I'm saying is that it'll likely be changed to be more professional.

No matter how smart you are, or how good you are at translating things, there is no way you can translate a whole light novel in a short period like a few days and keep all of the complex multi-meanings, foreshadowings, and interesting expressions, without flubbing, and having all of the intended content/meaning there. I'm just stating a fact. I do speak 5 languages and am fluent in all of them, and am pretty darn good at a few of them, so I am aware of this fact, very aware of this fact.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 19:19   Link #172
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Yeah. There are a lot of things you can get through a professional translation that you can't through the alternative. It can be a lot more expressive in terms of writing.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 16:10   Link #173
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

lol I don't know if it's been discussed anywhere but lol

Spoiler for OT12 Misaka and Uiharu:

I just noticed it after re-reading the series, and actually know what the hells going on(long time ago) Supposedly they don't know each other well. I lol that this because Railgun happened. I suppose it's retconned?

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 16:13   Link #174
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

There was a 4koma which explained that scene. It was an obvious retcon.
Old 2014-05-07, 16:29   Link #175
AmazingDarkKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
There was a 4koma which explained that scene. It was an obvious retcon.
Well know knows, don't forget

Spoiler for People who don't remember:
Old 2014-05-07, 16:53   Link #176
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
lol I don't know if it's been discussed anywhere but lol

Spoiler for OT12 Misaka and Uiharu:

I just noticed it after re-reading the series, and actually know what the hells going on(long time ago) Supposedly they don't know each other well. I lol that this because Railgun happened. I suppose it's retconned?
Obvious retcon with not so successful results.
Old 2014-05-07, 22:48   Link #177
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Why was Vento wanting to kill Index anyways?
I know her target was IB but she did say she'll destroy Index. You'd think Fiamma would have said no at least, maybe it was a threat who knows? lol

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2014-05-07, 22:52   Link #178
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Finished re-reading Volume 9-10 recently. Thought I'd point out a few more interesting bits of character establishment for Touma that were easily overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 10 Epilogue
(Actually…I really shouldn't let him…save me.)
Such a chilly thought appeared in her mind.
Like right now, Himegami herself didn’t have any special ability or talent that was worthy for others to risk their lives to save her. The power in her body would only cause people to be injured or quarrel. This repulsive ability formed her character. In studies or sports, or anything other than ability, there was nothing that she could beat others in.
This sounded really stupid.
(Why?)
Why must she be saved?
(Why save me?)
Was there a problem? There should be a mistake.
(He already…already promised me.)
And yet he hadn’t fulfilled the promise. He had said that he would visit her before the night parade.
(If so, my values…)
If such a gentle sentence could pressure that person named Kamijou Touma.
(What’s my reason for existing here?)
“…I seem to be…everyone’s baggage.”
She said such cold words, which echoed in her chest.
In contrast, the girl biting onto the quilt suddenly stopped.
Besides having power and knowledge that others would risk their lives to save, she had a warm heart that others would find happiness in while being with her.
The nun said,
“Not so, Touma and Aisa seem to be happy together.”
Eh?
At this moment, Himegami Aisa was unable to understand the meaning of this sentence.
But, that pure white nun, who had already been protected by others, slammed her cheeks and continued to bite on the quilt.
“Because Touma has been swinging his right fist too much, some part of the skin on his fist was cut.”
She angrily explained to Himegami.
“Basically, for Touma to go to this extent when he hates inconvenience, this should be the reason. Regarding rules and regulations, or for the sake of the world, Touma won’t be serious about it. If it’s anything that he finds irritating…like running away when he’s fighting against many people, he won’t even make a tofu hamburger for me to eat, and completely ignore my lecturing.”
But, Index continued on,
“Touma will always follow what he decides on. Whether it’s becoming enemies with several hundred nuns, or whether it’s heading to the cage of an alchemist who’s controlling several thousand people, he would not back down. Touma has already decided on protecting Himegami. Thus, speaking of the Roman Catholic magicians, or the chaos in Academy City, the most important thing was that Himegami got involved with such unimportant things, he couldn’t forgive them.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 10 Epilogue
“You…do you know what that guy, why does he continue to fight even with all those injuries?”
“About that, I don’t know either.”
Index replied without any hesitation.
“I asked him before, and he said that he’s doing it for himself. Maybe to Touma, that’s happiness?”
What I really love here is that it's Index who is the one character who knows Touma so well.
Old 2014-05-07, 23:08   Link #179
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Finished re-reading Volume 9-10 recently. Thought I'd point out a few more interesting bits of character establishment for Touma that were easily overlooked.

What I really love here is that it's Index who is the one character who knows Touma so well.
Heh I actually noticed it (the index talking to Himegami for the most part) too, just didn't post it on here. it's nice going back and re-reading stuff we may have missed or forgotten because of the length of the story. (we get a nice refresher) I'm re-reading as well... I'm at OT13 just at the start.

Old 2014-05-07, 23:10   Link #180
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Why was Vento wanting to kill Index anyways?
I know her target was IB but she did say she'll destroy Index. You'd think Fiamma would have said no at least, maybe it was a threat who knows? lol
Just Vento being cocky.