AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-12-27, 05:44   Link #3521
HasuMasu
*Artist

Regarding two-handed and magic, I dread having to enter the College eventually just to get Close Wounds.

Restoration perks are pretty awesome, so I've always preferred magic over alchemy...regardless of class.
Old 2012-12-27, 13:03   Link #3522
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Pretty much any warrior-build should try to get 40 points into Restoration so they can heal stamina.
Old 2012-12-27, 13:11   Link #3523
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Unless you use a bow, there is no need for stamina actually.

Just consume some vegetable soup and you can spam unlimited power attacks as long as the 1 stamina regen per second is active.

My first character was a standard warrior and I pumped both hp and stamina, which I found was a waste. So I made a new character with all points into hp instead and works much better.

There's no need to put points into magicka or stamina at all since you can have 0 magicka spells through enchantments and unlimited power attacks through vegetable soup. You can ignore weight limit just by having your followers pick up unlimited items on the floor.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 14:38   Link #3524
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Pretty much any warrior-build should try to get 40 points into Restoration so they can heal stamina.
I use the Vinis food and rest system as standard:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/7511
Old 2012-12-27, 15:56   Link #3525
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Instead of using the regular SkyHair pack, I settled on the smaller subset of that mod which has my character's favorite hairstyle (hime long hair), and also makes less of an impact on system memory (it's now 4gb, but could've been harder if I chose to play under 2gb).

The Mages' College? Actually it used some magic but for tougher jobs I can bring out my bow.
Hmmm, I should sit down and do that (create a subset). There's really only 4 or 5 hairstyles I like out of the packs.
Old 2012-12-27, 15:58   Link #3526
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Eheheh...I tried to get my first mod running with the Mod Manager, and now my GNR is constantly stuttering. Shows how much my PC gaming knowledge extends.
Old 2012-12-27, 16:00   Link #3527
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I have absolutely no idea how to add mods... Nor know of any good mods to start with.
Old 2012-12-27, 16:09   Link #3528
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The easiest way is to start an account at Nexus skyrim and install their Nexus Mod Manager. Then just select the interesting mod and hit their "install with nmm" button.

The two I tend to rave about are the "Convenient Horses" mod and the "Ultimate Follower" mod. There's an "unofficial skyrim patch" mod that fixes a lot of small stupidities (like being unable to kill bandit/imperial camp leaders after the civil war is over) and about a dozen little mods that fix minor annoyances.

Outside of that, most of the others are 'prettifiers' (make the sky pretty, expand the weather systems, expand cities, add homes, armor, weapons, de-uglify, etc) or they substantially change gameplay (like sophisticating the sneak and lighting, altering smithing, etc.)
Old 2012-12-27, 16:13   Link #3529
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If you want a good mod, my suggestion is this one./shamelessplug
Old 2012-12-27, 16:42   Link #3530
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I did use Nexus, but probably screwed up somewhere. I also realized I ended up talking about a Fallout 3 mod. If Skyrim started playing oldies at me, I might feel just a tad detached from the atmosphere. :3
Old 2012-12-27, 17:21   Link #3531
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

For Fallout mods you're better off using FOMM. NMM can support Fallout mods but the vast majority of them are designed for FOMM and thus NMM won't install them properly, whereas Skyrim mod packaging is designed for NMM.
Old 2012-12-27, 21:08   Link #3532
sa547
*Author

Of late, some players are asking for more features (I refer to this as "featuritis") such as auto-stripping/dressing, manor guards, and a full perimeter fence around Lakeview.

Frankly, I'm still new to modding, and as such, trying to program a system to strip/dress characters can be difficult, especially with a different scripting language, and my beef with savegame bloat.

My mod will suffice for now, as such featuritis will take much of my time.

-------------
@Hooves: the really useful mods in Nexus are those that actually help enhance your gameplay. Favorite examples include SkyUI and Player Home Map Markers.

But once you're getting used to the system, a guide called GEMS (constantly updated) provides a comprehensive list of very useful mods and tips to help make Skyrim a worthwhile game to play:
http://www.skyrimgems.com/
Old 2012-12-27, 21:20   Link #3533
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'd only go with the auto-stripping and leave it at that. You could look into a few other mods that have such a script, like Bathing Beauties/Beefcake Luxury Suite, and see how they go about it. Guards, full perimeter fence and such? No, I'd leave that to other mods. It's supposed to be a house, not a bloody fortress. It'll feel odd enough that there's going be a pool and such lying around an otherwise unoccupied piece of land for your mod as it is, don't need to add even more.
Old 2012-12-27, 21:39   Link #3534
sa547
*Author

I'm also looking at the Suite as a model (but the author -- I think he wants an exclusive monopoly -- will NOT accept anyone's requests to reuse the scripting system for other mods).

(Just like in software development, this leaves me wondering if "licensing" for a mod -- even a fragment of it -- would be forthcoming.)

Also, I'm thinking about hosting my files elsweyr.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-12-27 at 23:13.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 15:29   Link #3535
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I use the Steam Workshop for my Skyrim mods. Searching the Nexus for a mod without knowing its exact name (and even if you do) is a nightmare and a half. Their search algorithm is fucking terrible.
Old 2012-12-28, 16:01   Link #3536
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That's for sure. Too often I'd plug in the exact name of a mod and nothing would come up, but I put in only part of the name and I get 20 damn results... *sigh*
Old 2012-12-28, 18:26   Link #3537
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
You'd get 20 completely unrelated results, even!
Old 2012-12-28, 18:43   Link #3538
sa547
*Author

Oh, shit... I just pried open a can of worms right there:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/articles/698/

(Slightly offtopic) The problem is the language and the approach used when teaching people to buy legit copies. Rather than scaring them with penalties and all, why not show the average player as to why they have to buy legal originals. Also, I understand that most games now requires Steam to activate (I've recently installed, um, NBA2K13 on a nephew's PC and it's Steam-enabled, even if it's from the disc, not a full installation but a download -- a very long download -- bad luck for those who bought such discs now but have crappy Internet).

I've now required players to make sure they're using a clean copy and a good update, and if they have a problem not having fun, it's because they're using an outdated version or they got it all wrong.
Old 2012-12-28, 19:03   Link #3539
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, the only reason to buy a Steam-enabled DVD package is to save poor souls with marginal Internet from a 20+GB download (like I was until last year). I'd still rather have that bootstrap option for internet-enabled games, especially MMOs with sizes approaching 30-40GB in data packs.

Your description of NBA2K13 would have pissed me off (nearly empty disk and most of it still having to be downloaded).

These days, a game I'm likely to dump is one that thinks two updates a week of many hundreds of MB in patches is a good way to operate.
Old 2012-12-28, 19:15   Link #3540
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah, the only reason to buy a Steam-enabled DVD package is to save poor souls with marginal Internet from a 20+GB download
<--- Is that unfortunate soul.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim