AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-01, 12:22   Link #1681
styr

The author has used lots of references here and there. Even used Star Wars lightsabers, so maybe he watched TRON as well? One of the first films I believe where someone got stuck in a 'virtual' place and had to fight their way out.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 14:16   Link #1682
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

One thing that amuses me is that Klein uses Rider-1's henshin when trying to log out. Which actually makes sense - he probably watched Decade growing up, and saw the net video where decade advises random people: "Got random problem? Solve it by henshin into random rider!"

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 14:51   Link #1683
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Am I alone in being mildly confused as to what is actually happening to Kirito in Volume 9?
Old 2012-08-01, 14:58   Link #1684
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWence View Post
Am I alone in being mildly confused as to what is actually happening to Kirito in Volume 9?
nope, and i would recommend that you re-read it again.
Old 2012-08-01, 15:17   Link #1685
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
nope, and i would recommend that you re-read it again.
well I grasp everything up until
Spoiler:
and there after is a tich confusing too but its that point that sort of had me going .. "eh?" and pondering how Reki plans to plot out of this one haha
Old 2012-08-01, 15:39   Link #1686
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Spoiler:
and there after is a tich confusing too but its that point that sort of had me going .. "eh?" and pondering how Reki plans to plot out of this one haha
if you were following the stuff before the needle, Kirito got send to the Fluctlight system.
Old 2012-08-01, 15:43   Link #1687
lightbringer
M9000

If the start of volume 9 confuses you, skip ahead to the partial explanation in the second interlude. That should clear it up a bit, you just have to get past the copious amounts of pseudo-science babble.

Spoiler for Kirito's dubious fate after volume 9:

The all-new cast in volume 9 (apart from the interlude) and the apparent lack of the old guard in volume 10 makes me a bit depressed though. These volumes need more Asuna/Sugu/Shion.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 15:49   Link #1688
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
If the start of volume 9 confuses you, skip ahead to the partial explanation in the second interlude. That should clear it up a bit, you just have to get past the copious amounts of pseudo-science babble.

Spoiler for Kirito's dubious fate after volume 9:

The all-new cast in volume 9 (apart from the interlude) and the apparent lack of the old guard in volume 10 makes me a bit depressed though. These volumes need more Asuna/Sugu/Shion.
haha thank you

And I agree the lack of Asuna Sugu etc heck even Klein ( lol ) is a bit depressing
Old 2012-08-01, 16:04   Link #1689
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobu-chan View Post
Oh well, I was just wondering about chapter 5 (I think..?) When Kirito meets Asuna for the second time, considering the fact that they met inside a dungeon when the game started according to the side story on volume 2.

I thought it was lame how they met, Asuna just calling up his Kirito's name and Kirito just grabbing her hand and saying "cook acquired," like come on it's been 2 years since they last met, so I thought it was kind of strange.
The novel was written before the side stories and is not consistent. As you noticed, some of the side stories which come later partially retcon events in the first novel, especially with respect to Asuna/Kirito interactions. It's a bit jarring.

In the first novel, they did not meet at the level one boss fight. Instead, they meet for the first time about six months before the events of the novel - when Asuna chastises Kirito for sleeping but ends up taking a nap herself. From that moment, Asuna starts getting closer to Kirito, but most of their interaction is still simply from the boss battle strategy meetings. They do not go to any restaurants.

Murder in the Area elaborates on their "first" meeting but also changes the last part - they end up at a restaurant a number of times.

Aria in the Starless Night moves their first meeting from "six months ago seeing Kirito sleeping under a tree" to "two years ago having Kirito save Asuna in the middle of a dungeon and then teaming up with her for the first boss fight".
Old 2012-08-01, 20:52   Link #1690
larethian

Quote:
Spoiler:
Because it continues into volume 10. You will know by chapters 1 and 2 of volume 10.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 22:07   Link #1691
styr

Quote:
The novel was written before the side stories and is not consistent. As you noticed, some of the side stories which come later partially retcon events in the first novel, especially with respect to Asuna/Kirito interactions. It's a bit jarring.

In the first novel, they did not meet at the level one boss fight. Instead, they meet for the first time about six months before the events of the novel - when Asuna chastises Kirito for sleeping but ends up taking a nap herself. From that moment, Asuna starts getting closer to Kirito, but most of their interaction is still simply from the boss battle strategy meetings. They do not go to any restaurants.

Murder in the Area elaborates on their "first" meeting but also changes the last part - they end up at a restaurant a number of times.

Aria in the Starless Night moves their first meeting from "six months ago seeing Kirito sleeping under a tree" to "two years ago having Kirito save Asuna in the middle of a dungeon and then teaming up with her for the first boss fight".
There are quite a few minor inconsistencies floating around, lol. I wish the author would have extended the SAO arc though, for example having Vol 1 being Floors 1-10 instead of the entire SAO arc. If the SAO arc had taken 7+ LN volumes it would have been great world building and would have let him really expand upon much of the lore.

I guess having 'arcs' is just a staple things for Japanese LNs though, to keep things refresh and to introduce new characters/etc.
Old 2012-08-01, 22:32   Link #1692
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:

Spoiler for My reasoning as to why K & A did not meet for the first time 6 months prior to the end of SAO Volume 1:

Ah, and just so you know, this isn't particularly a rant against you, lightbringer. I've seen your point brought up a few times here and there and I don't think anyone has said anything contrary to it. Ultimately, we are all using a second-hand account (going off someone else's translations) to accept these "facts."
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 23:07   Link #1693
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
There are quite a few minor inconsistencies floating around, lol. I wish the author would have extended the SAO arc though, for example having Vol 1 being Floors 1-10 instead of the entire SAO arc. If the SAO arc had taken 7+ LN volumes it would have been great world building and would have let him really expand upon much of the lore.

I guess having 'arcs' is just a staple things for Japanese LNs though, to keep things refresh and to introduce new characters/etc.
It's more like the business doesn't let them rely on a sequel. Generally they write the first volume as a stand-alone thing and make sequels only when it becomes popular. Almost every LN's first volume ends in a place that would be a decent ending.

The fact that it was originally a web novel biases it even more towards being stand alone.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 06:16   Link #1694
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
Ah, and just so you know, this isn't particularly a rant against you, lightbringer. I've seen your point brought up a few times here and there and I don't think anyone has said anything contrary to it. Ultimately, we are all using a second-hand account (going off someone else's translations) to accept these "facts."
No problem. I'm not really into the whole "what is and what is not the holy canon" thing, to be honest. And I don't have the ability to check the Japanese version, anyway. But the author himself admits to some of the inconsistencies in the afterwords. Kirito and Asuna interactions in volume 1 make me believe that Aria was basically not on the table as a meeting scenario at that point (first impressions are important after all, so he wouldn't be going gaga over her being a KoB sub-leader if he remembered her as the girl he saved on the first floor), but if the author wants to retcon it so be it. And if it's just something that was lost in translation, even better. Someone also mentioned that the author wants to release a new version of volume 1 that accounts for Aria and Murder Case etc, but I haven't seen a clear source for that.

Personally I like Aria so in my internal canon Aria happened
Old 2012-08-02, 12:03   Link #1695
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Well, you guys can say goodbye to Volumes 9 and 10...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 12:11   Link #1696
Deathrip

^What do you mean o_o?
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 12:26   Link #1697
Javiersansano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Well, you guys can say goodbye to Volumes 9 and 10...
Why was volume 9 deleted from Bakat-Tsuki?

Don't tell me that vol. 9 and 10 have been licensed?
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 12:30   Link #1698
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post

Check the main page of Baka Tsuki, folks.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 12:31   Link #1699
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post

*quickly saves my cache of vol 9's full text*

If it was licensed, why would they start near the back? Makes no sense.

Was someone selling copies of vol 9 IRL or something teh_ping? You mention rupiah, isn't that in Indonesia? Hosting the files on Indowebster? From what I read that seems like what is going on, they are printing some version of vol 9 to sell copies IRL to make a profit from others work. Sucks
Old 2012-08-02, 12:36   Link #1700
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

why are people buying stuff available for free?

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality