AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-08, 23:37   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

KillBill Volume 1 The Best action movie ever...

I just want to know what do you think of this action movie? You can consider this post as a sort of tribute to this film, which I particularly consider one of those few motion pictures that borrow elements from the world of anime.

I just finish watching Killbill (Uncut version), a version that is only being distributed in Japan at the moment. I was speechless throughout the whole film. It has by far the best action sequences in a movie... not even Terminator 2 can match up with this one and it is not just the action, it is also the music, the screen play, and its originality. Due to all these factors this movie has become one of my best movies ever going hand in hand with Brave heart, Forest Gum, and Bitter Moon

Let me list the main reasons for choosing this movie as one of the best:

1. It is like watching a live action anime, it has a lot of Japanese in it, and it even has a 20-minute animation clip to describe the story of one of the main characters.

2. It is one of those few movies that contain deep character development, which is very impressive for a two-hour movie, just like William Wales from Brave heart, Mimi from Bitter moon, and Forest Gum.

3. The character development is so good that, just like in a good anime, you actually get to like the bad guys. Bill is a twisted and dark character, but he is strangely intriguing.

4. The music blends in perfectly with the different situations, such as the action sequences and the drama.

5. The footage is well accomplished; it really captures the message that the author indented to portray.

6. It is a movie with A LOT of violence and gore, it is like watching Berserk or Ninja Scroll And you can also say that the action sequences are similar to those two amines as well. I love that

7. But the best of all is the main character. Try to combine these two characters; Sasuke from Naruto and Kuraprica from Hunter X Hunter and the result is this revenge-driven and twisted woman

The only negative points that this movie has are its story and its stereotypical all mighty American guy whom is much stronger than the best Japanese samuray -_-. It is not original at all, especially if you watch a lot of anime. At the same time it is very unrealistic, but hey who cares? It is an action movie right?

Now that I saw this film, I am dying to watch Killbill Volume 2, due to the fact it ends with a HUGE cliffhanger... I know that it is on theaters now... Have you guys seen it yet? How was it?

I hope that you enjoyed reading my emotional and unprofessional review, and that, hopefully, you are now feeling like watching this film (GET THE UNCUT VERSION) you'll love that gore baby

Please moods don’t merge this thread with the movies thread, I beg you, otherwise the thread would not make an strong impact
Old 2004-06-08, 23:39   Link #2
Serendipity

Send a message via ICQ to Serendipity Send a message via AIM to Serendipity Send a message via MSN to Serendipity
The series of Kill Bill would have to be among the best films I have ever seen.
Quentin Tarantino is awesome.

A lot of people don't like the movie, and I am not sure why that is, because I loved it. It was serious, yet almost comical at the same time, giving you mixed emotions!

Kill Bill 2 was the better of the two, in my opinion though.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 23:46   Link #3
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Kill Bill 1 > Kill Bill 2

Both pretty good.

Not something I'd watch twice though. I do love the strange soundtrack though ... typical of his movies to have a strange soundtrack.

However if you compare KB 1+ 2 to Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction (specially pulp fiction) it's not even the same league.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 23:53   Link #4
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Kill Bill 1 > Kill Bill 2

Both pretty good.

Not something I'd watch twice though. I do love the strange soundtrack though ... typical of his movies to have a strange soundtrack.

However if you compare KB 1+ 2 to Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction (specially pulp fiction) it's not even the same league.
Did you watch the uncut version? I saw pulp fiction, and also fight club... But Killbill is much more intense, because it combines a lot of different styles to create something original.
Old 2004-06-08, 23:59   Link #5
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Ohh I have no doubt it combined so many different stylez, in fact he said it himself he put together everything he loves into 1 movie ... I just wasn't as happy with the end result as I thought I would be.

Hmmm ... the uncut version I have not seen. Sounds interesting.
Old 2004-06-09, 00:55   Link #6
method

From what I've read there isn't much difference between the cut and uncut versions. The main difference is that the fight with the Crazy 88's is in color
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 01:06   Link #7
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Watch Ong-bak. You can't get anymore realistic in fighting then that.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 08:25   Link #8
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
I just finish watching Killbill (Uncut version), a version that is only being distributed in Japan at the moment. I was speechless throughout the whole film. It has by far the best action sequences in a movie... not even Terminator 2 can match up with this one and it is not just the action, it is also the music, the screen play, and its originality.
you are comparing kill bill to terminator 2? compared to terminator 2, kill bill wasn't even an action film! where are the explosions, the car chases, the gun violence? swords are cool and it is nice to see a good sword fight every now and then, but where are the fucking grenade launchers and mini-uzis?

Quote:
1. It is like watching a live action anime, it has a lot of Japanese in it, and it even has a 20-minute animation clip to describe the story of one of the main characters.
american culture, not japanese culture. i'd give kill bill credit for being like japanese anime if it was MADE by japan. it is insulting when a japanese person makes a cowboy western film and claims it as greatest ever, so i'm betting it is equally insulting when an american makes a samurai film and calls it greatest ever.

Quote:
2. It is one of those few movies that contain deep character development, which is very impressive for a two-hour movie, just like William Wales from Brave heart, Mimi from Bitter moon, and Forest Gum.

3. The character development is so good that, just like in a good anime, you actually get to like the bad guys. Bill is a twisted and dark character, but he is strangely intriguing.
not related to action films. dramas blow ass. for every second they had character development, they could have shot the head off a randomly placed zombie.

Quote:
4. The music blends in perfectly with the different situations, such as the action sequences and the drama.
i've seen better. the matrix did an amazing job with music incoperation. as did terminator 2.

Quote:
5. The footage is well accomplished; it really captures the message that the author indented to portray.
that can be said about almost anything.

Quote:
6. It is a movie with A LOT of violence and gore, it is like watching Berserk or Ninja Scroll And you can also say that the action sequences are similar to those two amines as well. I love that
that violence and gore did kick ass, but Itchi the Killer makes Kill Bill look like a family film.

Quote:
7. But the best of all is the main character. Try to combine these two characters; Sasuke from Naruto and Kuraprica from Hunter X Hunter and the result is this revenge-driven and twisted woman
anyone can be revenge-driven, but you call her twisted? she didn't even canablise them! oh well, maybe my standards for twistedness are a bit excecive.

Quote:
The only negative points that this movie has are its story and its stereotypical all mighty American guy whom is much stronger than the best Japanese samuray -_-.
the movie was made in america.... i'm not sure what kind of nazi you are, but if it is made by an american, they are going to make the american main character look stronger.

if the movie was made by a japanese person, i'm sure the opposite would be true. (and it is if you look at alot of anime)

Quote:
It is not original at all, especially if you watch a lot of anime. At the same time it is very unrealistic, but hey who cares? It is an action movie right?
exactly!

Quote:
I hope that you enjoyed reading my emotional and unprofessional review, and that, hopefully, you are now feeling like watching this film (GET THE UNCUT VERSION) you'll love that gore baby
yea, the uncut version kicked was great, i had to d/l it off bit torrent to watch it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
gotta agree here. Tarintino made some damn good films. the movie hype is really making people think this film was better than his other work.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 08:35   Link #9
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy no jutso
A lot of people don't like the movie
I know why... it's bec. of its extreme violence and excessive use of blood..., but wat the hell... I just love the action theme...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 09:01   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I love the katanas in that movie. Those are really beautiful katana. Also I like the animation part. It was really well done. ^^

But yeah the blood was a bit overdone. It looks kinda ridicilous after a while.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 11:53   Link #11
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The blood in the movie reminded me of Berserk The sound and everything.
Old 2004-06-09, 11:56   Link #12
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy-no-Jutsu
A lot of people don't like the movie, and I am not sure why that is, because I loved it. It was serious, yet almost comical at the same time, giving you mixed emotions!
i loved the movie myself. It has so much style and the action was intense. I really need to buy the DVd.

I still havent seen Vol 2 though
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 12:30   Link #13
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
i loved the movie myself. It has so much style and the action was intense. I really need to buy the DVd.

I still havent seen Vol 2 though
i need to see both of them. dad wont let me/havent bothered to

uncut DVD?

where?
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 13:04   Link #14
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The uncut version I saw was an R2 dvd. I has english, japanese sub.

I actually I never saw the other version so I have no idea what's the different.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 13:15   Link #15
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 were good movies, not because the action was great (overdone and cheesy) .. nor because the character development was anything special (melodramatic flair found on any soap opera) but because the film pays homage to kung fu/ disco-fu movies from the 80's... it even has Shaw Brother's star Gordon Liu in both 1 and 2 (playing different roles as well, i might add).

some of my friends thought the film was horrible due to tarentino's tribute.. their opinion was that tarentino had already ripped off enough asian films (resevoir dogs, HELLO!) and that he should come out with his own films.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 13:18   Link #16
Joe Dalton

Kill Bill sucks, not because of violence or blood but because of a weak story that is poorly told... and those horrible japanese conversations killed me not to mention the extreme cheezynis... it uses bad cliches of different styles to create a poor movie of all genres. Maybe if they had a good director but now its just purely suckynis... I was bored to death watching it.
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 13:35   Link #17
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Kill Bill sucks, not because of violence or blood but because of a weak story that is poorly told... and those horrible japanese conversations killed me not to mention the extreme cheezynis... it uses bad cliches of different styles to create a poor movie of all genres. Maybe if they had a good director but now its just purely suckynis... I was bored to death watching it.
I wouldn't go THAT far, but yeah some of the butchered Japanese dialogue bothered me. I think they should have trained Uma Therman so should could pronounce Japanese, not just speak it. The other Japanese spoken in the movie was superb though, even that French girl spoke it well ( ).

I do agree that there were some bad cliches and a good level of cheeziness in the plot, but...ehh I could tolerate it. I mean come on, hot girls with katanas! That makes up for it on all levels
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 13:48   Link #18
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Joe that's a Blasphemy! Kill Bill doesn't have bad cliches of different styles... One of the best parts of the movie is that it knows how to combine different styles to create something unique... Take the short animeted film for example; nobody was expecting to see a short anime movie to discribe a character yet, it was beatifuly done; you could really understand why she became a twisted assasing. How comes that you were bored to death watching it????? @_@
Old 2004-06-09, 13:50   Link #19
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
So, what is on the uncut version that's missing from the regular version?!? (Just a bunch more gore?)
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-09, 14:10   Link #20
method

See my post earlier in the thread Actually the uncut version is available from a few different places. The only problem is that it is region 3, but alot of cheaper dvd players can be hack to play different regions.
method is offline   Reply With Quote