AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-05-16, 09:23   Link #21
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
There must be a ton of sites like ANN in Japanese. But they don't need an Animesuki. They already have all the anime passing on TV anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
They do use sites like it, at least people outside of Kanto and Kansai regions. Connect to any torrent and mark the high percentage of Japanese users active in the swarm.
Actually, just because Otaku Bobby from New York can hop onto any torrent site and get his fix of The Qwaser of Stigmata, it doesn't necessarily hold true for the anime's accessibility in Japan. There's things like schedule time to the availability of the channel it airs on; random ecchi #9,000 might be airing at 2 in the morning on a really obscure channel for all we know. So being on TV doesn't mean you're going to find it. Hell, I dun even know the listings for House anymore.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 10:40   Link #22
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I wonder, are fansubs easier to come by then raws, for Japanese viewers? Would they choose to DL fansubs due their ease of being found?

Does anyone know the general attitude of Japenese fans to western fans, beyond curiosity?

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-05-16 at 11:11.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 10:46   Link #23
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Mixed feelings, I should think, characterized by normal group statistics as well as the few comments that I have seen.

Nothing too horribly negative so far. But, I don't doubt that there are people like that.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 12:09   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The very simple advantage of fansubs over "raws" is file size. A fansub runs between 100-500MB whereas a raw is rarely less than a 1000MB and often 2000 or more.

Most anime is on subscription cable.... if a japanese fan can't afford that and tv recording equipment, then they are unlikely to be able to afford a pile of terabyte hard drives. So they spend their money as frugally as they can and torrent. They might have enough money left over then for swag (figures, books, etc).

As for attitudes ... its all over the map (just like it is for Western fans.... I see some really horrible, hateful, ignorant bullshit on western forums as well). The haters on the Japanese side are usually the same. Otherwise, the attitude is either simply amazement that anyone outside of Japan would like this stuff (the same sort of amazement they have over outsiders liking any of the rest of their culture)... all the way to "yes, any fan adds to our numbers!".
Old 2011-05-16, 13:49   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The very simple advantage of fansubs over "raws" is file size. A fansub runs between 100-500MB whereas a raw is rarely less than a 1000MB and often 2000 or more.
So they do watch fansubs? Interesting. I can see why they'd download over cable obviously. I'd be suprised if they never illegally downloaded anything. Then again, in more fan oriented anime, say Genshiken or OreImo, the most illegal thing they ever mention is doujinshi. Never seen em say anything about the "elephant in the room". Then again, true fans buy everything.
Old 2011-05-16, 14:16   Link #26
cyth
Banned

Raws for playback can be simple encodes of transport stream captures, just like fansubs are today. So there's not much difference in filesize between fansubs and raw encodes as there was in the past (fansubs were smaller out of distribution and storage concern, while the Japanese pirate scene was always a very small, technology-oriented community and just didn't care; they had storage and good connections, they just didn't know how to encode well because they lacked the language skills required to learn and use foreign video tools), meaning that's not why fansubs are popular among the Japanese. I'd say it comes down to the English scene making its encodes more readily available than raw encodes. Also, the Japanese may be afraid of using Japanese P2P programs or visiting pirate websites out of fears of being prosecuted.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 14:24   Link #27
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
You know what would totally blow my mind?

If they translated this thread.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 16:17   Link #28
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

They're watching us... waiting ... TO STRIKE!
Old 2011-05-16, 16:31   Link #29
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I remember some time ago I found a japanese site that translated various posts taken from the animesuki thread about Higashi no Eden (so we are talking about more than one year ago!), and mine was among those.

I was really puzzled but I never expected that there were so many of those.

Anyway it seems that animesuki and 4chan are well known by the japanese anime fans.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 22:58   Link #30
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You know what would totally blow my mind?

If they translated this thread.
And then some of us here will tap on what they are saying, and bring back here....

Brilliant, i should sign up a patent for this sort of entertainment
Old 2011-05-16, 23:34   Link #31
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Wow this truly is interesting, never thought they were interested in us, at least not this much
Old 2011-05-17, 01:06   Link #32
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
And then some of us here will tap on what they are saying, and bring back here....

Brilliant, i should sign up a patent for this sort of entertainment
Haha, you should. I think the logical conclusion of this translation circle is that whoever is going through all the effort to translate these things back and forth would basically just be acting as an intermediary so that Japanese and English speaking fans could talk directly with each other.
Old 2011-05-17, 01:18   Link #33
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Oh my god it really is like googling yourself.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/anime_trans/search?q=animesuki
http://shirouto.seesaa.net/pages/use...e_id=170694346

There are a whole bunch of us on here.
I see myself there and some partially translated posts of mine.....

and I find myself looking over my shoulder in paranoia....

And if this post winds up there then it would really take the cake...
Old 2011-05-17, 04:04   Link #34
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I see myself there and some partially translated posts of mine.....

and I find myself looking over my shoulder in paranoia....

And if this post winds up there then it would really take the cake...
You know people on this site can already read your posts. And any Japanese person who can read English can also read your post regardless if it gets reposted or not.

Also there was a thread similar to this on the MyAnimeList forums some time ago. That thread actually got translated and translated back in that thread. But eventually they had to stop due to trolling of some sort.
Old 2011-05-17, 04:09   Link #35
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

It still feels funny nonetheless
Old 2011-05-17, 04:44   Link #36
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
It still feels funny nonetheless
Then imagine how Japanese anime fans feel when we non-Japanese fans talk about them as though we know them inside out, just by watching anime.

Incidentally, I've long noticed such translated threads when I (what else) googled my username in the past (yeah, yeah, I know, it's narcissistic, but I couldn't help myself). Even now, I can find myself in a translated version of wontaek's thread on the depiction of evil in Japanese anime.

Quote:
TinyRedLeaf ( シンガポール / 男 )
> 悪は「打ち倒す」ものではない。

ああ、でもwontaekが指摘しているように、中国のドラマ、特に武侠モノで「悪は善に勝つことあたわず 」みたいなお決まりの台詞を吐くキャラクターは沢山いるよ。そんなことは疑うことすら不可能だといった、確 信に満ちた調子で言われることが多いね。

一方、日本では、『るろうに剣心』のようなアニメが存在する。信頼と裏切り。この作品においては、人間の悪 行は絶えることなく存在する。悪を駆逐することはできない。出来ることといえば、ただその影響を緩和するこ とのみ。人々に残された選択は、悪人となんとか折り合いをつけてしのいでいくか、もしくは俗世から隔絶した 環境で隠居生活を送るしかない。
Hot damn. If only I were really that fluent in the language. (How did the translator know I am male, by the way? )

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2011-05-17 at 08:00. Reason: Unfortunate choice of tense suggesting a status that I most certainly do not have. ^^;
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 04:49   Link #37
Blaat

Wow they actually bother to translate some of the posts here (and even keeping track what people vote on the individual episodes thread) that's amusing.
Old 2011-05-17, 05:04   Link #38
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Hot damn. If only I were really that fluent in the language. (How did the translator know I was male, by the way? )

It's written within your public profile.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 06:24   Link #39
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
It's written within your public profile.
Which is accessible only to accepted "friends". All right, who here has been leaking my private information?

On a more constructive note, this thread reminds me of a series of "dialogues" between English-language and Japanese-language players of Square-Enix's MMORPG, Final Fantasy XI. The whole thing was community driven, and the questions and answers are archived here.

Since we're all feeling a bit shocked at being "spied upon" by otherworldly entities speaking in moon runes, why not set up an inter-species inter-cultural exchange in this thread?

Like, "We come in peace. How are you doing?", or "Why are you watching us?", or even "Do Japanese men really dig teenage girls in sailor-moon uniforms?"
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 07:21   Link #40
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I don't think the problem is "being spied upon" since as Ash pointed out this is a public forum.

I think we already knew that there are japanese fans too in this forum, it's not shocking.

What is shocking, at least to me, is that someone actually spend his time translating the posts so that other japanese fans not so fluent in english can read them.

To make a comparison. A lot of us also lurk futaba channel and niconico and often report what the japanese fanbase think about a particular anime or what are they their reaction about a particular subject.... but translating whole posts and going as far as specifying the name of the author and their gender (!)? I don't think that ever happened, or at least I've never seen such a thing.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote