AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-18, 19:04   Link #1
NeoSam

Nishi No Yoki Majo (Good Witch of the West - Astraea Testament)

西の善き魔女

Based on a novel.

A manga based on the novel is serialized in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Comic Blade.
For now there are 4 volumes released of this manga, here are the covers:

From AnimeNfo:

Quote:
When Filiel received her mother’s necklace as a memento from an obstinate astronomer Dee, her common and tedious life was turned into a life of conspiracies. Soon she realized it was herself that could save important things.
This is a seinen manga/anime.

Genre: Seinen, Drama, Fantasy.

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-02-27 at 04:26.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 04:28   Link #2
NeoSam

The first post was updated with the covers of the manga.

The title of the anime got changed to: 西の善き魔女 Astrea Testament
Old 2006-02-27, 04:32   Link #3
wao
OK.

Isn't the manga based on a novel by a relatively(?) well known author Noriko Ogiwara?

Looking at the covers that seems to be the case. I think the novel came first.
Old 2006-02-27, 04:36   Link #4
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Looking at the covers that seems to be the case. I think the novel came first.
Ok I'm quoting myself LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Based on a novel.

A manga based on the novel
Old 2006-02-27, 04:40   Link #5
Rainy

"A life of consepiracies" hm... I really like the sound of it. Mixed in with some seriously unforgettable drama like that of Mai Hime, and we could have a good show. And the manga covers are very pretty! ^__^

What's the characteristic of a typical Seinen's manga though? For instance, for shounen manga there would be a lot of hot-blooded battles going on, and for Shoujo romance is the key element. Seinen = plenty of patty shots, possibly?! No... Groan. Pray it not to turn out that way.
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 07:07   Link #6
NeoSam

Some sites put the novel of Nishi no Yoki Majo under public/general novels (for everyone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy
What's the characteristic of a typical Seinen's manga though? For instance, for shounen manga there would be a lot of hot-blooded battles going on, and for Shoujo romance is the key element. Seinen = plenty of patty shots, possibly?! No... Groan. Pray it not to turn out that way.
Ecchi manga doesn't mean its shounen or seinen manga, there are shounen manga that are ecchi and there are also seinen manga that are ecchi, but that doesn't mean that all shounen and seinen manga are ecchi.

No need to think too much.
Shounen manga is manga thats published in a shounen manga magazine or/and published under a shounen comic imprint.

Seinen manga is manga thats published in a seinen manga magazine or/and published under a seinen comic imprint.

Shounen/Seinen manga just define the target audience of the manga/novel and not their content.

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-03-20 at 09:00.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 07:17   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Just in case anyone was wondering, the title translates to "The Good Witch of the West." I wonder if the subject matter covers any sort of parody of the Wizard of Oz <_<
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 07:18   Link #8
NeoSam

The site of the anime has been opened:

http://www.project-westwitch.net/
Old 2006-03-04, 07:46   Link #9
wao
OK.

Well, the background art looks nice enough, and I am not in an anti-bleargh-NO-shoujo mode so I think I'll watch this just to see what it's about. Looks like they used the manga designs. The music is by Hikaru Nanase, the lady behind the music of Zettai Shounen, Noein, Scrapped Princess and others. Her real name is Masumi Itou by the way . I hope she does an OP/ED for this show.
Old 2006-03-20, 09:17   Link #10
NeoSam

Its starting soon 8/4/2006

I would really like to see the seinen manga Nishi no Yoki Majo scanlated.

Comic Blade is the best shounen/seinen manga magazine ever ARIA manga, Binchou-tan manga and also Nishi no Yoki Majo manga are serialized in it
Old 2006-03-20, 09:44   Link #11
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy
There is no common characteristic of a typical seinen manga. Seinen manga is simply manga aimed at young men.

More example seinen manga:

YKK
Ah! My Goddess
Blade of the Immortal
Mushishi
Rec
Kino no Tabi

Panty shots also occur in shounen manga, and I believe more in those. Also on properties that were once ero-games that later became manga and anime, hence the confusion.

In my opinion seinen manga is the best genre because it has the most variety and has stories both by men and women and that appeals to both men and women.

On topic: Yes, its the backgrounds that got me seriously considering this show. And BTW, the manga covers look very shoujo-ish, dare I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I am not in an anti-bleargh-NO-shoujo mode so I think I'll watch this just to see what it's about.
what is anti-bleargh-NO-shoujo mode? You don't like shoujo? Oh, so the novel the manga was based was a shoujo novel that later became seinen manga hence it carried a lot of the designs?
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 10:16   Link #12
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
On topic: Yes, its the backgrounds that got me seriously considering this show. And BTW, the manga covers look very shoujo-ish, dare I say.
Comic Blade and Comic Blade Masamune are magazines for male anime fans (male otakus).

Some sites classify these magazines as shounen magazines and other sites classify them as seinen magazines (even those that mention that these are magazines aimed at male highschoolers and above).

It doesn't matter how it looks or its content, call it shounen manga or seinen manga but its not sh**j*.
Old 2006-03-20, 10:57   Link #13
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
i was very surprised to hear it's seinen, it looks so shoujo!!
love the art (i love shoujo.. ), i'll check the show.
gknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 11:52   Link #14
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Don't know the history of this show or what genre it is suppose to be. Taking it because of who is playing the lead [Orkasa Fumiko]

But reading through the synop. it sounds like a pretty conflicted character having a lot of power dumped on her. So what is her challenge, being a witch or a good one ?
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 23:51   Link #15
Siegel Clyne

Nishi no Yoki Majo Cast

Anime On DVD Community Forums: Nishi no Yoki Majo Characters: Cast & Images

Quote:
Nishi no Yoki Majo Astrea Testament Image and Cast

Quote:
ArseneLupinIII said:
Here is an official program image.

And below is the official main cast.*

Firieru Dii (Firiel Dee) : Orikasa Fumiko
Ruun (Rune) : Hirata Hiromi
Adeiru Rourando (Adel Rowland) : Saitou Chiwa
Yuushisu Rourando (Yuushis Rowland) : Taniyama Kishou
Reandora Chebaiatto (Leandra Chebaiat) : Tanaka Rie
Rotto Kurisubaatto (Lot Chrisbart) : Ishida Akira
Marie Osetto (Marie Ossett) : Fujimura Ayumi
Raiamondo Riizu (Raiamond Reece) : Nakada Jouji
Igurein Baanetto (Igrain Barnett) : Saiga Mitsuki

It looks like Orikasa Fumiko plays another sweet heroine and Tanaka Rie plays another mean villain.

For My-Otome fans, Tomoe, Chie and Nagi appear on the show.

*Unsure about romanizations of names
Nishi no Yoki Majo Characters: Cast & Images

Character : Voice Actor

Firiel Dee (Firieru Dii) : Orikasa Fumiko

Eusis Roland (Yuushisu Rourando) : Taniyama Kishou

Marie Oset (Marie Osetto) : Fujimura Ayumi

Tabisa Holy (Tabisa Hoorii) :
Bo Holy (Bou Hoorii) :

Roux ["Rune"] L[u]tskin (Ruu Rutsukin) : Hirata Hiromi

Leandra Cheviat (Reandora Chebaiatto) : Tanaka Rie

Liamon Riez (Raiamon Riizu) : Nakata Jouji

?

Adale Roland (Adeiru Rourando) : Saitou Chiwa

Lot Chrisbard (Rotto Kurisubaado) : Ishida Akira

Gidion Dee (Gidion Dii) :

?

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2006-03-29 at 07:53. Reason: A Spelling Error or Two
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 00:07   Link #16
Sakuya
*Artist

I think I'm going to add this to my watch list but dang, August?! I'll have graduated by then. Scary thought. Anyway, I love the character designs, it looks high- budget. And it seems romance is not listed in the genre. From the splash movie of the official site, it'd be pretty surprising if this is not romance.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 05:11   Link #17
wao
OK.

Looking at the character descriptions and so on, it seems like a rather fun story (apprentices? said apprentice being your childhood friend? getting unwillingly drawn into a battle for the throne because of a pendant of your mothers? , I'm really looking forward to this! Even if it's not overwhelmingly original.

But I really, really can't hlep but think Utena when I look at those character designs. It seems so much like that guy's style! I mean, look at Roland... the first thing I thoguht was "TOUGA?!!". Heck, even the main character Firiel vaguely reminds me of Utena... there even seems to be a "Wakana-clone", her schoolfriend Marie Oset... though unlike Utena, Firiel still has her father.

Well, let's just see how this plays out. Roux is illegally hot. And I can't help but like stories where the normal girl gets to somehow play in the game of elites and learns a lot of things...

I hope the music's good, it's Hikaru Nanase - if it's like Noein I'll be happy .
Old 2006-04-03, 02:18   Link #18
BluWacky
尻の竜

Having watched the promo, while the background art isn't as stunning as it is on the official website it still looks pretty good; anilmation looks okay though nothing special, although it's nice that it's in widescreen. Music sounds nice and very Hikaru Nanase-ish; reminds me a lot of a couple of tracks from Noein.

Looks like the first episode could cover virtually all of the first manga volume if all the stuff in the promo is from the first episode.

I'm a little worried about Fumiko Orikasa's voice for Feriel, if that's who does the opening prophecy (note to ureshii - it's "mahiru no hoshi", "the midday star", not "madeiro no hoshi" or whatever you've put! Although you made sense of the first and last lines much better than I've ever managed to out of the disjointed Engrish on the manga covers); it sounds a bit forced for some reason. I think I'm just being paranoid, though.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 01:49   Link #19
Siegel Clyne

Leandra Cheviat and Her Big Boobs

Anime On DVD Community Forums: Leandra's Chest

Quote:
Nishi no Yoki Majo Characters: Cast & Images

Well, Rie did say that Leandra is a sexy role...

Anime On DVD Community Forums: Re: First time you recognized a Seiyuu.

Quote:
Among the earliest: Hayashibara Megumi, Hisakawa Aya, Inoue Kikuko, Matsui Naoko, Yamaguchi Kappei, Furukawa Toshio...

Among the most recognizable today: Koyasu Takehito, Ishida Akira, Miki Shin'ichirou, Noto Mamiko, Kaneda Tomoko, Horie Yui, Mochizuki Hisayo...

Today, in regard to Japanese seiyuu, or Japanese voice actors, I pay much more attention to what comes out from the Japanese side - fans, staff, etc. - than to what comes out from the non-Japanese side.

Japanese Fans on Tanaka Rie and Her Leandra, Lacus, Yomi and Chii Sounding Like They Have Been Done by Different People

† Nishi no Yoki Majo Joou Kouho 3 Hitome †

836 : [Kaze no Tani no Nanashisan @ Jikkyou wa Jikkyou Ita de] : 2006/05/26(Kin) 04:36:46 ID:hIWZfWyx
Reandora koe kiitete,
Tanaka Rie tte enji wake sugoinda ne
Tane de Rakusu yatteta hito toha betsujin no koe mitai da

838 : [Kaze no Tani no Nanashisan @ Jikkyou wa Jikkyou Ita de] : 2006/05/26(Kin) 05:50:49 ID:QfWv9p/o
Azumanga Daiou no Yomi mo kiku to ii, marude betsujin da

839 : [Kaze no Tani no Nanashisan @ Jikkyou wa Jikkyou Ita de] : 2006/05/26(Kin) 11:14:24 ID:et/igcyf
Chii mo kiku to ii yo
---
† Nishi no Yoki Majo Queen Candidacy Public Notice 3 †

836 : [Mr./Ms. Nameless of the Valley of the Wind] : 2006/05/26 (Friday) 04:36:46 ID:hIWZfWyx
Listening to the voice of Leandra Cheviat,
One concludes that Tanaka Rie, who plays Leandra, is amazing.
The voice of the person, Tanaka Rie, who did Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED sounds like the voice of a different person.

838 : [Mr./Ms. Nameless of the Valley of the Wind] : 2006/05/26 (Friday) 05:50:49 ID:QfWv9p/o
Tanaka Rie's Yomi [Mizuhara Koyomi] in Azumanga Daioh is good too, sounding like a completely different person.

839 : [Mr./Ms. Nameless of the Valley of the Wind] : 2006/05/26 (Friday) 11:14:24 ID:et/igcyf
Tanaka Rie's Chii [in Chobits] is also excellent.

Leandra Cheviat - Nishi no Yoki Majo's Great Evil Villain

† Nishi no Yoki Majo Joou Kouho 4 Hitome †

123 : [Kaze no Tani no Nanashisan @ Jikkyou wa Jikkyou Ita de] : 2006/06/04(Nichi) 14:33:24 ID:BVdDGOxs
Rottosan wa itsu uragitte Reandora to takawarai suru ka tanoshimi de shikataganai
Yuushisu to kuttsukeru ni to de Ruun to koiji wo habamou to suru
Kono anime saidai no akuyaku ... da yo ne?
---
† Nishi no Yoki Majo Queen Candidacy Public Notice 4 †

123 : [Mr./Ms. Nameless of the Valley of the Wnd @ The Real Condition with the Live Board] : 2006/06/04 (Sunday) 14:33:24 ID:BVdDGOxs
When betraying Lot, Leandra cannot help but laugh loudly with pleasure.
She tries to prevent the course of love with Rune [Roux] by joining with Eusis.
Leandra is this anime's greatest villain ... isn't she?

† Nishi no Yoki Majo Joou Kouho 4 Hitome

494 : [Kaze no Tani no Nanashisan @ Jikkyou wa Jikkyou Ita de] : 2006/06/17(Do) 16:29:59 ID:tGEgLrGW
Tsumaranaku wa nai yo
Sukunakutomo Firieru ga hikakuteki matomoni mierushi,
Reandorasama ga monosugoi sonzaikan ga aru
---
† Nishi no Yoki Majo Queen Candidacy Public Notice 4

494 : [Mr./Ms. Nameless of the Valley of the Wind @ The Real Condition with the Live Board] : 2006/06/17 (Saturday) 16:29:59 ID:tGEgLrGW
She is not trivial.
At least Firiel looks relatively honest.
Miss Leandra has a tremendous sense of presence.

Morganna in .hack//SIGN. Suigintou in Rozen Maiden. Tomoe Marguerite in My-Otome (Mai-Otome). Leandra Cheviat / Sister Lain in Nishi no Yoki Majo - Astraea Testament (The Good Witch of the West - Astraea Testament)....

Tanaka Rie excels at playing great evil villains.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2006-06-18 at 23:24. Reason: Added Comments by Japanese Fans on Tanaka Rie and Her Range and Versatility as a Voice Actor and Her Talent for Playing Evil Villains
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 10:08   Link #20
multani2842

The first episode is out now, and it was really nice. The graphic was great ( well for my taste ) and the story seems good with lots of plots. I hope some groups are going to sub it but it's a shame to only have 13 episodes .

Some screenshots from the raw

multani2842 is offline   Reply With Quote