AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-09, 21:07   Link #1
Jirachier

Manga/Novels Recommendation

Hello,
I was hoping that you guys could help me find a few series to follow, I don't mind if they are novels or mangas, both work just one thing, if it's a manga I don't want it to be too old(like made in 1999) because then it has very poor art and I cannot read that.

The only thing I'm interested in are action/battle series, the main character must be a guy(I want it to be so because I'm a guy and most importantly because when it's a girl, the series usually takes too much of a romantic turn and her personality doesn't fit with the fighting-type, but if it's somethng like Claymore I'm cool with it). The main character doesn't have to start off powerful but there should at least be some potential that he will, I don't want a main character who's over 25 years old or so unless this is a series with immortal beings and all and he's one of them(I want him to be young cos then being strong and a genius in most cases). And if it's a novel I want there to be a LOT of battles otherwise I can't follow it. Also the main character's powers must be his OWN, I mean by that no stupid ability that needs him to charge energy from the female main character or whatever, basically he shouldn't need any external source to use them.
Now while I would pretty much read any series that fits into this category the ones that I like the most are:
- Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei(One of my favourite series of all, a main character with a refreshing personnality different from all those idiot-type, a genius magic engineer with no one coming close to his level, a broken combat magician with awesome spells AND that are exclusive to him(i really dislike it when an author copy/paste the main char's ability and give them to others))
- Id - The greatest fusion fantasy(Another awesome main character who can fight tens of thousand of people, he's one of the most powerful characters in the series with an amazing arsenal of spells and techniques, very cool personnality and a genius in fighting, has cool abilities on the side like meditating to check his vitals, heal others, etc, he's also a teaching others while being so young which is totally awesome)
- Mahou Sensei Negima(A 10 year old main character who takes us on a journey where he goes from a regular magician-level guy to one of the top broken characters in the series, awesome abilities in EVERY field, be it martial arts, magic, physical traits such as strength or immortality, and all of his later fights were awesome)

I already read many series such as Akame Ga kill, Ao No Exorcist, Bleach, Code:Breaker(quit it because it just became annoying), D Gray Man, Dark Air, Fairy Tail, Gamaran, Hunter x Hunter, Kingdom of Zombie, Tower of God, Magician, Magi, Naruto, One Piece, Noblesse, Nurarihyon no Magi, Rosario Vampire II, History strongest disciple Kenichi, The Breaer, Witch Hunter, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Kekkaishi, Madan No Ou To Vanadis, Legend of Tyr, Psyren, Ares, Ubel Blatt(dropped it the moment the author decided to give the main char's best technique to someone who looks exactly like him, has the same age, etc, i hate copy/pasting that happens to the main guy), Taboo-Tattoo, Ulra Red, Aiki, Blood Lad, The Legend of Maian, Vampire Juu Kai.

Thank you in advance.
Jirachier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 23:16   Link #2
jedinat

I just read Feng Shen Ji today. It's pretty good.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 23:23   Link #3
Kirarakim

Maybe I missed it but I don't see Fullmetal Alchemist on your list.

Rurouni Kenshin is another good one.
Old 2013-02-10, 05:32   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Freaks' Squeele. It's not manga, but a French comic, but don't let that deter you. It has a interesting storyline, interesting characters, unique art(much better than the MU link shows), and lots of action. Sometimes this action is depicted a bit on the comedic side, but you should give it a shot; might be up your alley.

It's a bit of an older title(older as in 3 years, art is still pretty =03), but if you like The Breaker, you might like to try Veritas. Although there are a lot of political stuffs going on, aside from the radically different MC(Shioon is a nice kid, Gang is kinda an asshole), it has a similar tone.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 06:02   Link #5
Jirachier

Hum for Feng Shen Ji, I'll try it.
Fullmetal Alchemist, already read it, I just didn't put it in the list because it doesn't fit into what I wanted as muc as what I mentionne, Rurouni Kenshin is too old so I don't really like the art in it, Veritas is something I would've definitely wanted to read but I heard that it's discontinuied or something like that.
Freaks' Squeele, from the synopsis I read it doesn't seem to have the kind of main character I want.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:20   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
.....Veritas is something I would've definitely wanted to read but I heard that it's discontinuied or something like that.
Freaks' Squeele, from the synopsis I read it doesn't seem to have the kind of main character I want.
Veritas isn't 'discontinued'; it's in a similar situation to The Breaker; just as The Breaker ended part 1 with a certain death and you-know-who joining the BDF, Veritas does a similar thing; it is conclusive, but there is more to the story. It's just that part 2 of Veritas has not been started yet(if it ever will).

The main char is a set of 3 in a group, as they are all focused on in some way or another. I kinda think you are underestimating it simply because 2 of the 3 main chars are women, but despite this, the story's style probably wouldn't be to your tastes after all.

Old 2013-02-10, 09:27   Link #7
Jirachier

Ok, I'll add Veritas to my list too.
Btw is Crepuscule also good ? I just found that they have magic and stuff, is there any good fights or whatever ?(Also is there a romance between the two main guys or are they just friends)
Old 2013-02-10, 11:33   Link #8
Kirarakim

I think it is shame that you would not give a series a chance because its "old". It's not even animation which of course went from cel to digital, so while I disagree with that too I can at least understand.

Honestly just comparing the art from older series to today in manga there is really not much difference, especially not from the 90's.
Old 2013-02-10, 12:49   Link #9
Jirachier

I really don't know why but it's really very different, just compare the art from the first chapters of One Piece to the recent ones.
Old 2013-02-11, 06:34   Link #10
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
I really don't know why but it's really very different, just compare the art from the first chapters of One Piece to the recent ones.
That has nothing to do with older art but the fact that Oda has improved and changed his own style over time.
Old 2013-02-11, 22:14   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

Might want to try The God of High School as well