AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-12-13, 16:27   Link #181
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I visited Tokyo in January, and I can say pretty much that Japan lived up to my expectations and more. kj1980 and other Japanese members will obviously have a different perspective than non Japanese people because to them, being in Japan is a reality so they've obviously seen the ugly side of it.

But since I was a visitor on the surface, I never got to see that, and if others have the same experience I have, then it's easy to leave Tokyo with your "Japan in an anime dreamland" fantasy still in tact. Living there is an entirely different matter.

It's the same with London, I suppose. When I see tourists, I ALWAYS think "why the hell are they ooohing and aaahing at this disgusting place"
Old 2006-12-13, 18:09   Link #182
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

well, I lived in japan for six years during childhood, and I have to say it has its positives and negetives like all the countries. But I would love to live there than anywhere, bec they have the best convinient stores, there are places where otakus gather in thousands everyday, and bec I like japanese food (well, that is what I ate for 6 years in school). One of the negetive sides of japan has to be lack of space, and higher % of bullies being there than canada. But then again, there is not a single thing in the world thats perfect
ps3mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 20:17   Link #183
ThoHell

I went to Japan along time ago, like when I was 9, actually yeah I was 9 because I remeber going there for my 9th birthday. An now I've made Japanese my major. Should be going to Japan again within the next few years to finish up the require credits needed to graduate then come back to San Francisco to graduate! LOL..I'm sure you all wanted to know that.... JAPAN IS REALLY PRETTY ^_^!!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 08:20   Link #184
darkcloud

Ok I didn't read all the thread yet, but, I wanted to reply to a few things......

Quote:
-If you know someone in Japan, you should live with him, or to make an exchange with a japanese student in your family for example, because the price of the hotels is incredibly expensive .

-don't eat in the restaurant for the foreigner it's extremely expensive too : forget the meat, bread and all the western food in general, on the other hand the fish, and all the regional food (noodles and sushis in the sushis's bars ^^), are really not expensive.

-Transport is also extremely expensive (more or less 150-155 $ for Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo for example).

-if you don't talk japanese very well take a map! (and if you speak japanese take a map too ), the name of the streets aren't indicated, if you didn't know the places, you will remain 3 days in the street ^^

-Don't spend all your money in the first manga store by seeing that they can cost less than one dollars

-Don't look the beautiful japanese girl too closely in the street people will think that you're a stalker
-Hotels are not really expensive.... Yes you have to look in the right place but you can find cheap nice places to stay.. If you really get stuck you can stay in a damn love hotel for really cheap. lol

-Ehhhh? Avoid meat? lol I wouldn't have eaten very much if I had taken your advice.. Food infact can be very cheap, atleast a lot cheaper then here in London. Oh and no bread? wtf? lol I do suggest you avoid eating anything you would normally get at home though. Go for new experiences....
If you can find it go to the all you can eat/drink (including alcohol) Okonomiyaki place on the sunshine side of Ikebukuro... Really really awesome place... Nice owners there as well. Might be a bit hard to find though cause it's upstairs.

-If you are going as a visitor and will be travelling about get a JR Rail pass.... Me and my girlfriend both got a 21 day pass when we went for 3 weeks and saved a lot of money.... We went from Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Tokyo -> Hokkaido -> Tokyo as well as travelling about in the various cities every day... If you are staying in 1 city it's alright though.... Tickets around Tokyo were about 300 yen I think. That's less then the current price in London. v.v;;

-A map isn't all that helpful really, you find them getting in the way a lot. It's really easy to find your way around most places anyway.. Take one just for safety, but, otherwise you will find people very helpful and it will be a lot easier then studying a map. You'll also find interesting places whilst lost.

-Yeah don't spend all your money in the first manga store you go to.... There are so many of them around it would be a pity not to have money for all of them. =P If you're a girl whatever you do go to the sunshine side of Ikebukuro! Loads of anime shops targetted at girls there. lol Guys should go there as well as they have a different selection of things you find in other places.

-If you're there long enough you might end up getting stalked yourself like I did.... Don't take things to seriously there.

Quote:
Ok dreamers. First things first, visit japan before you make up these grand plans.

Who knows, you might think it seriously sucks when you get there, yes it is possible. Your view of japan is a romanticised one (yah i spellt that wrong ).

Yes i admit i would like to do the same thing but first things first, check the place out. After i get my armymoney im thinking of going there, it probably wont happen though since i dont want to go there by myself and it costs hellishly much.

Otherwise you might end up being in japan for a year while thinking it suxxors big time :P

Remember kiddies, anime is not real.
Yes do visit there first gives you a nice basis on what to build your plans on.

If you like what you've seen about the place so far it isn't likely you'll think it sucks. Just as long as you're will to go about life differently to how you have before. For me my view of the place was as I expected. lol

Seriously, go by yourself if you must it would be a shame to miss out on a great time because you were scared of going alone. It really doesn't cost all that much.... Me and my girlfriend spent about £3000 on our trip, but, we spent large amounts on things you wouldn't expect.... £500 on concert tickets for a start (amazingly close to the stage of a Tokyo Dome sellout).

That's not really likely unless you just sit inside the whole time. lol

Anime isn't real, but, a lot of it is based on life inside Japan so when you rip out the fantasy aspect of it you're left with what you can expect of the country really. =P

Quote:
especially the last one, listen to the last one the most.
i dont know if its true in japan as well, but in asia men will beat u up if u make one wrong move on a grl. They hate molesters u see. they sometimes make bad judgements. haha
Not gunna happen. :-/ Getting into a fight at all in Japan isn't that likely. Don't molest people. >.>

Quote:
And make sure you got like 50-80 bucks worth of yen for each person in your group, cuz when you leave japan, the airport charges your a fee for useing thier airport hub on your way out of the country (you dont have to pay a fee when you get off the plane into japan). I remember that we had too pay like a 15% exchange fee just too change our dollars into yen, so we could leave the dam airport. Ah, i forgot which hub this was, i think it was osaka.
Hmmm that never happened to me. :-/ You sure you didn't take luggage back that was over the limits? Cause that's the only time I can think of them doing that.

Quote:
I do have a lot of illusions about Japan like they sell Anime goods everywhere, but it is crushed by reality. They don't do that. Just stupid me. Well, Japan will be a fun place if you have a good friend companion. If not, it will be just quite and boring.
That's not an illusion really. :-/ Tokyo has tons of 5-8 floor anime shops.. You will find 100-300yen machines everywhere with anime figures.... Random shops will have anime stuff. If you are a figure collector go to Den Den Town to see the TONS of figure shops everywhere.... Litterally about half way down it gets to a point where there is one every 3-5 shops. lol
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 09:43   Link #185
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
That's not an illusion really. :-/ Tokyo has tons of 5-8 floor anime shops.. You will find 100-300yen machines everywhere with anime figures.... Random shops will have anime stuff. If you are a figure collector go to Den Den Town to see the TONS of figure shops everywhere.... Litterally about half way down it gets to a point where there is one every 3-5 shops. lol
This is exactly what I mean....I had people telling me that I shouldn't expect much anime wise before I went to Tokyo. When I went to Tokyo I was like, "huh? Have these people actually been to Japan or are they just trying to stomp other people's anticipation and just trying to join in on the 'weaboo hate' bandwagon". Not everyone there has a good opinion of anime, as some of the japanese members here are saying, but saying that Tokyo won't quench an anime fan's thirst is just SO UNTRUE. Argh, I miss Akiba SO MUCH.
Old 2006-12-14, 10:49   Link #186
darkcloud

Yeah the reason I posted is because a lot of posts just seemed to be trying to put people off going with stuff which isn't really true....

Strangely Akiba wasn't the place I would call my heaven..... I had a lot more fun in Den Den Town and Ikebukuro....... Ikebukuro's animate was awesome and Den Den was just shop after shop of models..... It's also where I got my Minna models (densha otoko)! XD

Akiba was very cool though.... Oh and they had this special kind of crushed ice using some random machine for the ice or something... Delicious..

It certainly did quench my thirst and did the same for the games fan inside me..... The number of arcades everywhere was incredible!

A little hint for anyone going to Japan... Whatever you do don't stick to the main roads 100%.. Little less obvious side streats hold great secrets!

Quote:
If you wanna stay in Kyoto I recomend Gimmond Hotel, which is pretty cheap, has an English speaking staff (don't count on it everywhere) and is basically good value for the money. If you wanna trim the price down a bit, you can skip breakfast (there's a 7-eleven just across the street). The best part though is that you can make reservations over the internet, without using a credit card or anything. Just fill in the form with your name and which nights you'll be staying, and all you have to do is show up on the day of your check in.

I just saw this........... That's crazy! £50ish a night is the cheapest room they have? That is not cheap by any means..... I stayed in hotels which were about 4000 yen a night and they were awesome... The rooms were every bit as nice as the ones in them pics..... The only difference is the ones I was in were in "shady" areas....... As in down back allies, with hostess clubs in Ikebukuro..... Whilst you sometimes got bothered by the scouts trying to get you into the clubs (as did everyone) it was perfectly safe and the hotels themself were awesome. If you're thinking that prices in Japan are high just don't go for these more mainstream hotels....

Last edited by darkcloud; 2006-12-14 at 11:13.
Old 2006-12-14, 14:43   Link #187
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Strangely Akiba wasn't the place I would call my heaven..... I had a lot more fun in Den Den Town and Ikebukuro....... Ikebukuro's animate was awesome and Den Den was just shop after shop of models..... It's also where I got my Minna models (densha otoko)! XD
I did go to Ikebukuro's animate, but by then I had spent all my spending money in Akihabara. Animate wasn't really my favourite shop because I didn't have PLENTY of money, and Animate seemed like the HMV/Virgin of anime and you could find cheaper prices in smaller shops in Akiba. Tora no Ana was good even though it was big, though and I had fun browsing through doujin (made me hungry for Comiket) Picked up a few Rozen Maiden ones.

The thing with these anime stores is I was just TOO overwhelmed by the number of goods available, especially since I live in London where anime merchandise is hard to come by cheaply.

We should have spent more time in Ikebukuro, we just visited that street which begins/ends at the Hello Kitty store, and ends/begins at that car showhouse.
Old 2006-12-14, 23:44   Link #188
sykopath

I lived in Japan for about 5 years and I'll tell ya, it's about one of the greatest places on Earth. All the people there are like so nice and it's such a beautiful place. I sure wish I didn't have to leave Japan. It was such a great place and I had great friends. I lived in Hiro, Tokyo.
sykopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 04:37   Link #189
darkcloud

Quote:
I did go to Ikebukuro's animate, but by then I had spent all my spending money in Akihabara. Animate wasn't really my favourite shop because I didn't have PLENTY of money, and Animate seemed like the HMV/Virgin of anime and you could find cheaper prices in smaller shops in Akiba. Tora no Ana was good even though it was big, though and I had fun browsing through doujin (made me hungry for Comiket) Picked up a few Rozen Maiden ones.

The thing with these anime stores is I was just TOO overwhelmed by the number of goods available, especially since I live in London where anime merchandise is hard to come by cheaply.

We should have spent more time in Ikebukuro, we just visited that street which begins/ends at the Hello Kitty store, and ends/begins at that car showhouse.
The animate there was really cool if you looked around. There was a lot of stuff there which I didn't see anywhere else.... I got my complete set of Genshiken figures there for that reason. Also on that main road with the hello kitty shop there were a couple of arcades which had some really awesome grabber machines... Inside this 1 arcade in particular (the middle one I think) there was this cluster of grabber machines in a corner upstairs which all contained random anime/game figures.... I was getting tons of 600 yen figures for 100 yen each. I got loads of Higurashi and streat fighter figures mainly as I could litterally get one every time. ^^;;; They ended up adjusting them so I couldn't do it anymore. Me and a laugher there were laughing about it. =P (I can't speak Japanese so it was really strange how we ended up joking about it lol)

As for comiket, my girlfriend started harassing me about how we didn't go during that time....... The thing is I wanted to go during that time just because it was hotter, but, she suggested going during Tokyo Game Show. lol That was really awesome, me her and a familly of 3 cosplayed as bleach characters and we ended up getting way more attention then I thought...... 1 of the 3 we went with was a 6 year old cosplaying as Yachiru so that kinda explained it. =P This kinda ruined any future cosplaying experience though because it was on such a massive scale.... It's just not the same here in London. lol

Yeah some of the stores are overwhelming sometimes, but, I just decided to take my time, stroll through them and visit some shops more then once. lol I ended up very comfortable with that size shop by the end of the 3 weeks though... Now when I walk through London I look up at the skyline and it just seems too low... I've still not adjusted back to life here properly. =P

Me and my girlfriend only spent so much time in Ikebukuro as that's where we were staying in Tokyo.. We would end up back there every night no matter what so we got to see something new.... Speaking of which, there was an awesome restaurant there called Milkyway..... It had the nicest milkshakes and really cool parfaits...... It was decorated like space as you could guess from the name... This was also something I really liked about Japan, the amount of effort they put into stuff like that.... ^^d Anyway, Milkyway is an awesome date locations. lol
Old 2006-12-25, 23:41   Link #190
zvy

Question Mixi and Globee

Hello everyone,
First day on this forum.

Could someone here could send me an invite for Mixi (www.mixi.jp) or Globee (www.globee.jp)?

I want to meet Japanese people and find friends in Japan before I go there. I want to join a Japanese network! Help!

Thank you in advance,
Z
zvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 15:40   Link #191
Jessev

Hey,

I'm new to this thread (in fact, new to this forum ), and I don't really want to read the whole topic, buuuuut....

I've been to Japan last summer, for 1 month, and that was way too short. But it was a lot of fun, met a lot of people, etc.

Pictures can be found at: http://jesse.ssnt.org (categorized as well!).

With just a little bit of Japanese and a lot of english you can get around easily. Sometimes you have to adjust your english to how they say it, which is pretty funny. (One time I asked for the "subway" in Tokyo. This guy didn't understand me so I said "metro". Still didn't work so I tried "me-te-ro" and bingo!).

The Japanese are very friendly and the country itself has a lot to offer. I plan to go their again next summer!

Cheers,
Jesse.
Jessev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 21:41   Link #192
NamiSukiNe

Well... uhmm... for me since I live in Japan
I think it's a great place to stay ne?
^_^
If you're friendly you'll probably Meet lots of friends...
^_^
NamiSukiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 19:43   Link #193
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN

I have some question

1.I'm considering to moving to japan but i dont speak any japanese just "bits and pieces" so what will be the best ways and also should i lived in a part of japan that is mostly gaijin that speak english and/or if they speak another language with english

2.Working in japan - i know there are "bilingual >japanese/english " place to work but my like of work fall under "Construction/Maintenances/Laborer/Driver" is there any company or jobs site that is bilingual friendly "since i'm a gaijin"

3.About driving in japan can can you tell me more about it

4.I heard that some japanese mock gaijin / make fun at them who try to speak there language is that true

5.Housing can you tell me more also " i want to pay the rent only no hidden fee "

6.Utilities work "Electricial,Water,Other " Tell me plz

7.is there any tv and radio is that englsih/japanese station

and to let you know i look at other site about

work and living in japan but is gave me a " smoking picture " so any info let me know
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 19:50   Link #194
LSD-25
Psychedelic

Quote:
1.I'm considering to moving to japan but i dont speak any japanese just "bits and pieces" so what will be the best ways and also should i lived in a part of japan that is mostly gaijin that speak english and/or if they speak another language with english
If you only know 'bits and pieces' then I suggest you study hard and learn before you even consider moving to the country full time.

Quote:
2.Working in japan - i know there are "bilingual >japanese/english " place to work but my like of work fall under "Construction/Maintenances/Laborer/Driver" is there any company or jobs site that is bilingual friendly "since i'm a gaijin"
I imagine there are places that will hire you but again knowing Japanese is going to be required if you're going to work with people that don't have a great understanding of English (IE, most any job you'll find).

Quote:
What do you mean? Are you planning on getting a driver's license? In that case I'm un sure. If I were you I'd move somewhere with public transportation.

Quote:
4.I heard that some japanese mock gaijin / make fun at them who try to speak there language is that true
Yes and No. If you're asking if you'll be seen as an 'outsider' then yes it's true. For example many property owners will be iffy or outright refuse to rent to a gaijin. I suggest you have a local friend help you with things like this if you do plan on going.

Will you get odd looks in public? Sure. Will kids point and say rude things about you? Sure. Often times they don't mean to be mean and/or rude though, you just look odd to them and in the case of the kid he's probably never seen someone from outside of Asia before. This will vary from person to person though, most of the time people are very friendly. I got a lot of "Your Japanese is very good" when I visited the country durring high school (I took entry level japanese in high school). My Japanese was and still is very poor, but they tell you how good it is anyway. I was also told the similar things when I used chopsticks (something any japanese child can do).

Quote:
5.Housing can you tell me more also " i want to pay the rent only no hidden fee "
See above

Quote:
Depends on where you live. Although I suggest you read up on the differnce between a 'western' bath and a japanese bath.

Quote:
Should be the least of your concerns atm. Moving to Japan is not something one should do on a whim, it's a long process with much paper work to be done and many things you'll have to learn. Study the culture, the language, the people, visit the country a few times then decide if you'd like to live there.

Last edited by LSD-25; 2007-01-26 at 20:09.
LSD-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 21:07   Link #195
Scifience
高校生

[QUOTE]1.I'm considering to moving to japan but i dont speak any japanese just "bits and pieces" so what will be the best ways and also should i lived in a part of japan that is mostly gaijin that speak english and/or if they speak another language with english[QUOTE]

If you're planning on coming to Japan to work and live, you will need to speak at least some Japanese (unless you are going with JET/NOVA or the like, and even then it is highly recommended). You won't find a job without language ability, you won't be able to buy stuff, find an apartment, etc. I would say you would want to have at least JLPT level 3, and probably 2, certification under your belt if you were planning a permanent move for anything other than teaching English.

There is no "part of Japan that is mostly gaijin that speak English." There are very few foreigners living in Japan on a long-term basis at all when compared with many other countries, and they most certainly do not all live in one place. Obviously, there are more foreigners in large cities than in smaller towns and rural areas.

Quote:
If you have a skill that is in demand, you'll be able to find a job. You'll need to find one before you go, though, or you won't have a work visa and therefore won't be able to legally work at all. Please keep in mind that you need at *least* a four year degree to get a work visa and a company willing to sponsor you (except in very rare circumstances, such as being a freelance journalist and therefore having no sponsor company). If you are fluent in Japanese, you will find many more jobs open to you.

Quote:
Unless you are going to be living in inaka, the country, you will have no need for a car. Public transit is ubiquitous, prompt, clean, and safe. There is no need to have a car for 99% of foreigners, and a majority of the Japanese do not have cars.

In addition, cars are extremely costly. There are expensive required inspections, petrol is around USD $5.00 a gallon, and in a large city, parking expenses alone are enough to ruin your budget.

Quote:
Act like an idiot foreigner with no respect for the local culture and they will treat you accordingly. Learn the customs, the language, and don't act like a jerk and people will treat you very well. Obviously, there are racists and rude and mean people everywhere in the world, and Japan is no exception, but many of the "problems" reported by foreigners in Japan come because they feel they can act as they do in their native country without taking Japanese culture into account or simply do not understand the language or culture sufficiently to not appear rude to the natives.

Quote:
Nice housing in large cities is expensive. You will almost always need to pay "key money," which is essentially a gift to the landlord, and a security deposit before moving in plus the rent. Expect to pay around to USD$1000 a month for what I would consider a "decent" apartment in one of the main wards of Tokyo.

As with anywhere in the world, though, you can find relatively cheap places and super-expensive ones. It depends on what you want. Again, though, you'll almost certainly need to be able to read and speak at least a good bit of Japanese to navigate the somewhat daunting process of finding an apartment in Japan.

Quote:
Same as anywhere else in the world. You have to pay for them...

Quote:
Unless you subscribe to a satellite service, all broadcast television is exclusively in Japanese, except for some language learning programs.

Radio is the same, with the exception of the radio station aimed at US military people stationed in Japan.

Quote:
and to let you know i look at other site about work and living in japan but is gave me a " smoking picture " so any info let me know
Bottom line: I'm afraid you haven't thought this through terribly well. Moving to the other side of the world is not something to take lightly, and you seem to have little idea what you want to do there or how to go about doing it. You seem to have no real language skills, and no job skills that would be marketable in Japan. Unskilled labor (which seems to be the sort of thing you mention) is not the type of thing you can usually get a work visa for.

I don't mean to discourage you or shatter your dreams or anything like that, but rather to provide a bit of a reality check. I hope you (and others) have found this information helpful.
Scifience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 21:17   Link #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-25 View Post
If you only know 'bits and pieces' then I suggest you study hard and learn before you even consider moving to the country full time.

I imagine there are places that will hire you but again knowing Japanese is going to be required if you're going to work with people that don't have a great understanding of English (IE, most any job you'll find).

What do you mean? Are you planning on getting a driver's license? In that case I'm un sure. If I were you I'd move somewhere with public transportation.

Yes and No. If you're asking if you'll be seen as an 'outsider' then yes it's true. For example many property owners will be iffy or outright refuse to rent to a gaijin. I suggest you have a local friend help you with things like this if you do plan on going.

Will you get odd looks in public? Sure. Will kids point and say rude things about you? Sure. Often times they don't mean to be mean and/or rude though, you just look odd to them and in the case of the kid he's probably never seen someone from outside of Asia before. This will vary from person to person though, most of the time people are very friendly. I got a lot of "Your Japanese is very good" when I visited the country durring high school (I took entry level japanese in high school). My Japanese was and still is very poor, but they tell you how good it is anyway. I was also told the similar things when I used chopsticks (something any japanese child can do).

See above

Depends on where you live. Although I suggest you read up on the differnce between a 'western' bath and a japanese bath.

Should be the least of your concerns atm. Moving to Japan is not something one should do on a whim, it's a long process with much paper work to be done and many things you'll have to learn. Study the culture, the language, the people, visit the country a few times then decide if you'd like to live there.

so should i forget it "because i know not to give up but in my situwation" i shouldn't ?

I want to add one other detail my paret are from ireland and i travel about maybe 15 to 20 time from when i'm young to now with my father and i work over there help out my farther with his properity and operated heavy machinery

and i might consider working over there and there is a problem that i experience "even those my parent were born in this country and me going back with my father so many time - i fell there is some bias against me because irish-american but is doesn't brother me because i ignore them

i make good money here in the state but i fell that there is not enough work in NY " i'm not saying work is dead but for me is complicated "

is just that " what is best 4 me " and i my answer is i don't know

but also considering moving to pittsburgh near my brother in laws and one of my sister

so there is a alot a concerplating and decision making
Old 2007-01-26, 22:38   Link #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
So why do you want to move to Japan CTU:AGENT HOGAN? I mean it's a big world and there's plenty of places to move to.

Well anyway, getting a job in NY depends on who you know, it's all about connection.

I think it's a good idea to move closer to you family, you'll have the support if anything ever goes wrong.
Well i got extended family in ireland

and i got my brother in laws and my sister in pittsburgh,PA

and why japan well here

>well i'm bend into anime since i saw "akira" for the first time and i was intrigue by this and well i get to know anime little by little thank " Sci-Fi AnimNation - that where they show all the cool anime " and well i got hook and my friend intoduct me to "jpop" and i didn't what jpop was unilt he explain like my favorite anime like

From Orginal Gundam & Akira to Dot.Hack he explain about how japanese muscian loan there music for op and en credit for anime and i get to know more about jpop and including jrock "from online"

my first real crush on jpop artist was " ayumi hamasaki " for inuyasha

and i can say that i use to collect action figure but not anymore i gave it up and sold them on ebay " some anime and some non anime "

and also from the movies like

Mr.Baseball
Black Rain " My Favorite "
Lost In Translation
Kill Bill 1 & 2
That Christopher Lambert Film "where he was being chase by ninjas on that train and get help by another ninjas"
Ju-on 1 & 2 " aka The Grudge 1 & 2 "
The Brother "is a good yakuza / americana gangsta film - ending suck "
Battle royale 1 & 2

Last edited by CTU:AGENT_HOGAN; 2007-01-26 at 22:53.
Old 2007-01-26, 23:07   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

o.. my...

Well... moving from Ireland to the US is a bit of a culture shock... but moving from the US to Japan.... superficially some similarities but it is about as close to moving to an alien civilization as you are probably unable to imagine.

I'd suggest *visiting* there before moving there --- get a 3 month visa and find a ryoko or a host family to stay with ... *live* there, eat where the locals do, shop, etc. Work *very* hard on language ... no matter how good you get, be resigned to being the "dancing bear" -- they're just amazed you can do it at all.

It used to be nearly impossible to find blue-collar work there but with the local population collapsing ( no one having babies ) that attitude may change in a few years.

You'll probably never achieve citizenship but if your company finds you valuable you can probably get a long-term visa extended repeatedly. And that may change in 5 or 10 years as well as the need for tax-paying workers becomes more desperate.

Whatever you do, learn to speak, read, and write Japanese at least at the high school level for your own sanity. Preferably take a few courses in "business japanese" so you won't offend your boss. Study the local customs, religion (Shinto and Buddhism), learn how to behave in a civil manner the japanese are accustomed to (i.e. not the Loud Obnoxious American or European). Anime and manga is a *VERY* small part of the country's culture, many gaijin make that mistake.

Everyone should have goals ... I'd like to spend a few years there myself (teaching or at least regular extended visits).
Old 2007-01-27, 00:27   Link #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
o.. my...

Well... moving from Ireland to the US is a bit of a culture shock... but moving from the US to Japan.... superficially some similarities but it is about as close to moving to an alien civilization as you are probably unable to imagine.

I'd suggest *visiting* there before moving there --- get a 3 month visa and find a ryoko or a host family to stay with ... *live* there, eat where the locals do, shop, etc. Work *very* hard on language ... no matter how good you get, be resigned to being the "dancing bear" -- they're just amazed you can do it at all.

It used to be nearly impossible to find blue-collar work there but with the local population collapsing ( no one having babies ) that attitude may change in a few years.

You'll probably never achieve citizenship but if your company finds you valuable you can probably get a long-term visa extended repeatedly. And that may change in 5 or 10 years as well as the need for tax-paying workers becomes more desperate.

Whatever you do, learn to speak, read, and write Japanese at least at the high school level for your own sanity. Preferably take a few courses in "business japanese" so you won't offend your boss. Study the local customs, religion (Shinto and Buddhism), learn how to behave in a civil manner the japanese are accustomed to (i.e. not the Loud Obnoxious American or European). Anime and manga is a *VERY* small part of the country's culture, many gaijin make that mistake.

Everyone should have goals ... I'd like to spend a few years there myself (teaching or at least regular extended visits).
you mean anime is NOT huge in JPN

WOW

this is weird for a country that where anime for came from "inside japan"

can i ask you another thing is there a catholic church in japan "not religeous but curious "

but can i add one thing - everyradio station i'm not say the whole day but some station will have "talk forum" and while i'm with my father in his car i turn to some station and the complain and complain about the ireland goverment being so crappy

WHAT !

for one stop complainting have a guiness LOL !

and two ireland is the biggest country for all major manufature

if you order a dell,apple,ibm,dell if you lived in in europe the computer is made in ireland

also we got cannon and car maker chevrolet

but ireland is like other country that they dont like when goverment destroyed ireland history and land so they are very catiousbut now they are paying big $$$$ to buy land for larger project like the "by-ways" that link limerick to dublin

instead of take many road this will lead upto dublin

Last edited by CTU:AGENT_HOGAN; 2007-01-27 at 00:38.
Old 2007-01-27, 08:17   Link #200
darkcloud

Quote:

and to let you know i look at other site about

work and living in japan but is gave me a " smoking picture " so any info let me know
1. Well there is Rappongi inside Tokyo, but, it's not really what you're talking about....

2. *shrug*

3. Bikes, lots and lots of bikes.....

4. Are there American's who mock Asians and the way they talk?

5. Well the fee isn't exactly hidden.... You'll have to pay it, but, as it's so well documented no problem.

6. Yes you get water, electricity and stuff........ :-/ They do work.... If you pay..

7. .... :-/ Not on standard TV....

You got a smoking picture because people get a hard time from people when they have thought it through..... You haven't thought about anything. :-/ You sound really clueless....

Quote:
Anime and manga is a *VERY* small part of the country's culture, many gaijin make that mistake.
Quote:
you mean anime is NOT huge in JPN

WOW

this is weird for a country that where anime for came from "inside japan"
How did you get that? He was saying there is so much more to learn about the country then anime and manga. :-/ Anime and manga is huge but it's not all you need to know..... Go back to the drawing board..... :-/

Reading your other thread I feel like maybe you are a joke character..... hmmm...

Tags
japan, travel