AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-26, 23:53   Link #1761
Cyz
"Show it to me"

It's what someone can call "another side" of yuri. After all, it can always come in different angle and different perpsectives with different point of view.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 09:54   Link #1762
Enerccio
VN maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Enerccio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I don't really want to understand, "what yuri really means' just sounds like a crap corney line, and showing sex/naked scenes aren't needed to show that - really love is whats needed, and just about every Yuri title does that.
well, that is yuri hentai (i like that )
Yuri is when both girls are in love and that love is main part of story.
Shoujo-ai is when there is not love but only some feelings and it is not main part of story.
Enerccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 04:06   Link #1763
NaruAc

Hiya, sorry to revive this post! However! I would just like to say I loved the anime and it had a great ending. Loved it.

I have just one question... I searched through this thread about the last song played in Episode 26 and I found a post, but that was the song from the first half of the series. In the episode, it's a vocal track that is slower with a more relaxing melody to it. I have two screenshots (hope isn't against the rules) of the words (english and japanese). I hope someone can recognize it and tell me the song name.

It doesn't seem to be in the OST I have .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nap-320976.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nap-321018.png

Thanks guys!
NaruAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 07:58   Link #1764
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaruAc View Post
Hiya, sorry to revive this post! However! I would just like to say I loved the anime and it had a great ending. Loved it.

I have just one question... I searched through this thread about the last song played in Episode 26 and I found a post, but that was the song from the first half of the series. In the episode, it's a vocal track that is slower with a more relaxing melody to it. I have two screenshots (hope isn't against the rules) of the words (english and japanese). I hope someone can recognize it and tell me the song name.

It doesn't seem to be in the OST I have .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nap-320976.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nap-321018.png

Thanks guys!
I believe that the slow version of the 1st OP song: "Shoujo Meiro de Tsukamaete" by Aki Misato.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2007-02-19, 20:40   Link #1765
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I liked the ending.

For the people saying it will not work because of time/age, two years is not that long of a wait. Shizuma will wait for Nagisa. I mean if we went by the,” as soon as they graduate they leave the person”, Amane and Hikari would not stay together. Shiz will wait.

As for Tomao, there are more fish in the sea. At least their friendship did not end. It is the same with Shiz and Miyuki. They will still be friends and there for them. And they will get over their crushes and move on. At least it did not end with them being bitter. Tomao will accept it like Yaya and still be friends.

As for Yaya, it seems that her and Tsubomi might have a thing.

In the end, it was a good ending for everyone. Even those who did not get their love, will get it oneday.

I don’t see the ending as a prelude to another season or OVA. It was just shwoing that Tomao and Nagisa are still friends and that Tomao still loves her and wants to be friends.

I doubt there will be a second season or OVA, but I may bite my tongue.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 06:47   Link #1766
Joojoobees

Lightbulb Proposal for a restructered remake of SP!

Not that anyone cares, but I think this anime could have been improved by restructuring it. I propose:
Spoiler:

Well, it was just my thought after watching the show. I definitely think there were some nice aspects to this show. I think the recurring theme (mentioned in spoiler above) was a good choice to explore, but I didn't think it was handled in the most powerful way, because only in the case of Yaya, did I really feel the pathos.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 09:30   Link #1767
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Not that anyone cares, but I think this anime could have been improved by restructuring it. I propose:
Spoiler:

Well, it was just my thought after watching the show. I definitely think there were some nice aspects to this show. I think the recurring theme (mentioned in spoiler above) was a good choice to explore, but I didn't think it was handled in the most powerful way, because only in the case of Yaya, did I really feel the pathos.
That's more like an OVA than a 2nd series. Still, I would be happy if it did come with an OVA.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2007-02-21, 20:50   Link #1768
Joojoobees

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
That's more like an OVA than a 2nd series. Still, I would be happy if it did come with an OVA.
Yeah it is a retelling with a slight twist.

If I were to commission a 2nd series, I would say focus on the girls of Lilim.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-21, 23:38   Link #1769
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Well, looks like Lilim don't suffer personal problems like Miator or Spica . IMO, Lilim were just there to lighten up the mood. Think of it as an added flavor

-> I rewatched the entire series again. I still admire Tamao-chan's feelings for Nagisa. Even though she knew that it won't work out (or maybe Nagisa is just oblivious to it), she still loves her even if she's not going to return the same feelings. Oh well, love can be cruel sometimes
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2007-02-22, 03:08   Link #1770
Joojoobees

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
IMO, Lilim were just there to lighten up the mood.
That's why I think a next season should focus on them.* The alternative would be to show all of the settled couple's breaking up. Plus, Chikaru is a great character. Also it could be the story of Pashibaru's rival.

Quote:
-> I rewatched the entire series again. I still admire Tamao-chan's feelings for Nagisa. Even though she knew that it won't work out (or maybe Nagisa is just oblivious to it), she still loves her even if she's not going to return the same feelings. Oh well, love can be cruel sometimes
Yeah, love is cruel. We can't expect that those we love will return our affection. I guess Tamao was at least lucky that Nagisa wasn't a bitch who would exploit Tamao's feelings even though she didn't reciprocate them.

* Note: I'm not saying there will be a second season. This is idle speculation about what kind of second season I would like to see.
Old 2007-02-22, 07:07   Link #1771
Mion
Gin <3
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Mion
i like Strawberry Panic it's very funny sometimes i can't stop with laughing

and the final ep is so cute i like it
Old 2007-03-03, 04:56   Link #1772
Veronica
Étoile-sama

I was happy to find this thread ^3^
I LOVE Strawberry Panic, sure it has some faults but all in all is one of my favourites so far.
And Shizuma is mine <333
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 05:22   Link #1773
Joojoobees

Yes, Shizuma is indeed fine. I really enjoyed some of the other characters like Yaya and Tamao as well. I heard that the DVD sales were poor, so, unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see a second season.
Old 2007-03-03, 11:15   Link #1774
zordon

Send a message via MSN to zordon
I like strawberry panic so much >_> so much that once i almost didn`t go to school to watch an episode :3 also i liked the ending with the soft music (i think is called mellow berry ballad) and my favorite caharacters are Tamao and Pashibaru.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 21:52   Link #1775
Joojoobees

It would be fun if they did some spin-off OVAs. They wouldn't need to include the whole cast, or even make the setting be the school. They could take just one or a few characters and explore their lives (it could be home on vacation, or after they graduate, at their first job, for example).
Old 2007-03-10, 10:04   Link #1776
Question
Crossdresser

Started watching this. So far seems like maria-sama ga miteru with lesbian fanservice and explicit yuri and a less engaging story/character interaction. Yet its much more popular than the former. Go figure.
Old 2007-03-20, 15:23   Link #1777
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Yesterday I finished marathoning Strawberry Panic (well, not really marathoning, since I watched it in two weeks at 1-2 episodes per day pace, except the last 5 which went in a row). What to say, very good show, not without flaws, but still very solid and enjoyable nonetheless.

The beginning is rather slow but it's just a matter of giving to the characters the time to stick on you, which is going to happen soon. By the way, Nagisa is utterly cute, at first glance she seemed to me a grown up version of Kinomoto Sakura. No wonder half school falls for her.
The plot development has a great merit, imho, it does never go out of track. Usually it's a easy for a 2-kurs (24-26 episodes) series to get lost in the second half. If you think about it, many 2-kurs series are "foggish" around episodes ~ 14 to 20. That's one of the most important thing I do check out, and SP doesn't lose its way at all

Many points touched by the anime are extremely interesting. The first of them is Kaori's story, a plenty successfull try at drama content. One whole episode (19) dedicated to reveal the bonds of the past, but heh, it was really worthy and wonderfully executed.

Spoiler:

The romance between Amane and Hikari is also very nicely done. So as the relationship between Shizuma and Nagisa is. Of course, the most interesting aspect of the aforementioned are all the "side effects" they have. Meaning: the unrequited love. Tamao and Yaya are two spetacularly dramatic characters, every times I saw them on the latter I kept felting a bit of pain, especially for Yaya, because she clearly had more problems to accept what the truth was. Tamao instead, seemed more conscious, without being resigned.

-------

I could go ahead mentioning good things about this series, but since they're the majority, it will be quicker if I mention what I didn't like:

- The ending. It was a major fall down. Totally badly executed, I understand that Nagisa x Shizuma was the most satisfying ending (since it's difficult to assume that Nagisa would have gotten feelings for Tamao), but why in that way? They spent a whole series talking of how important the role of the Etoile(s) was, and how solemn and to some extents even holy the ceremony of election is, and then not only they're not able to bring a candidate for Lilim, but also they got it all screwed up by Shizuma like it was an everyday tea party?
It felt like they wasted the whole preparation for the election, and as Amane said "It's not good winning this way". Yes, it was certainly the most convenient choice for Etoiles to be Amane and Hikari, two really in love, but if Nagisa had to go out of the contest in this way, then I don't see the need to throw her in either.
Really, the way the ending was made, deducted alone to my liking of the series so many points.

- Amane's incident: if you look how she felt from her horse, she could have easily died. Not only she wakes up a few hours later just with a slight headache, but they also come out with that ridicolous selective amnesia? So, she remembered she felt from her horse (so it's not a short term memory loss, since she should have forgotten that too), and all about her status (so not a long term memory loss either), but she forgot all about Hikari.
That has no sense at all. Really, it would make feel my psychology studies as totally useless

- Sometimes I felt they went a bit over with the details. I think of when they showed Hikari and Amane's naked bodies. I just think it's not necessary nor mandatory to push so much, because subtlety sometimes is able to work better. In the very specific case of Amane and Hikari, two shy persons, a moderate resolution would have been fine either.
It's different when it comes, say, to Shizuma, which is a bold character so it doesn't feel out place seeing certain scenes.
In three words: lack of balancement.

This really sums up all that I didn't like in SP.
---------

Back to what I liked. The "character" factor in Strawberry Panic would be the only one to get a 10, if I were to rate.
The characters are rich and deeply explored. I can easily see people sympathize and attach to everyone of the beautiful ladies presented here (well, perhaps except Kaname and Momomi).
Nagisa's cheerfulness, Tamao's loyalty (she remembered me *a lot* of Tomoyo Daidouji in CCS), Hikari's innocence, Shizuma's strenght, Yaya's determination .. and so on.
But let me spread my admiration for my favourite character of the series. In Strawberry Panic, my number one is Chikaru. She was just fantastic every under possible point of views, she never showed a weakness and she was the hidden support for most of the main characters. And when she played Carmen she was so incredibly beautiful (let's even say hot! ^^) . It's a real shame that she had so few spotlight on her. If there has to be an OVA or a 2nd series one day, I definitely would like more Chikaru-oneesama ^^ .

Also I think that the best quote of the whole series belongs to her, when speaking to Hikari about Amane (episode 24) :

Amane-san's heart right now is just filled with a little snow. I'm sure that you will melt that snow, because you are the sun.

Excellent works of all the seiyuus, particularly Nakahara Mai as Nagisa and Ai Shimizu as Tamao. Props also for Matsuki Miyo as Hikari.
As for the musics, nothing outstanding among OPs-EDs, good BGMs and nice chorus' song, though they could have recorded a bit more of it (or alternate) because it was always the same ^^

In conclusion, a definitely worth of look series for those who likes the genre. Some major flaws deters it to be better of what it could have been, but there's no much to complain about.
You will most likely find a character you'll love in all this variety, and that's a good thing, so if you think you may like this show, don't have second thoughts: give a try and some episodes for entering your mind. From that point on, it will be a beautiful journey.

Overall Rating: 88%
Old 2007-03-20, 16:08   Link #1778
Question
Crossdresser

I have finished the show and after the 50% mark, the show really picked up. The plots of the first half were very un-interesting, excepting the first few episodes. Shizumu seemed to play nearly no role in the first half after the first few intro episodes . I disliked both ED sequences and their songs, and the 2nd OP sequence was WIN...this is what it should have been about...the sequence clearly showed what the series was about and had the perfect song to go with it.
Old 2007-03-20, 17:16   Link #1779
Joojoobees

I was hooked on this series from the very first episode. I was grabbed by the wonderful artwork, but Pellissier's comments regarding CCS were right on. I saw Nagisa and Tamao as tributes to the relationship of Sakura and Tomoyo from Card Captor Sakura. In a sense Strawberry Panic is, therefore, a bit of fan fiction, but, to me, the series represents some of the best of what you might expect from fan fiction -- a loving attention to characters that you know, but presented in a new light.

Sure SP had its flaws. I also agree with much of what Pellissier had to say in that respect -- especially the horse accident, which was the lamest part of the series (IMO). I still think it was a fun show, and that it showed real heart. The story of Yaya, in particular, tore me apart.
Old 2007-03-20, 22:33   Link #1780
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I remember someone said that Strawberry Panic manage to execute the yuri content without becoming too out of hand.

--> I wonder if there would be more shoujo-ai coming that's as good as this one.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~

Tags
drama, romance, seinen, yuri