AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-11, 13:31   Link #1
Jolaloye

What is DVD-r and DVD+r

What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? Which one should I be using? Does it make a difference anyway. Which format will play on more dvd players?
Jolaloye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 13:50   Link #2
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

I believe that DVD+R is better than DVD-R. Both will work in pretty much any player, and it doesn't really matter what you use. If you're really interested, try this: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 13:54   Link #3
Hiko Seijuro
Rurouni

Send a message via MSN to Hiko Seijuro
just use a burner that writes all the formats, however when using dvd media do some research into the hardware that you intend to use it with.
Hiko Seijuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 18:00   Link #4
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

DVD-R is slightly better in compatibility. Neither are technically better. DVD+RW is better than DVD-RW, though, due to lossless linking.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 19:52   Link #5
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

From http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/answer.php?129 (linked in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R):

Quote:
DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and DVD+R (pronounced "DVD plus R") are nearly identical formats. The discs look the same and are both supported by most DVD-ROM drives and DVD burners. The only difference between the formats is the way they determine the location of the laser beam on the disc. DVD-R discs use tiny marks along the grooves in the discs, called land prepits, to determine the laser position. DVD+R discs do not have land prepits, but instead measure the "wobble frequency" as the laser moves toward the outside of the disc.

The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer and was released in the second half of 1997. DVD+R was developed by Sony and Philips and was introduced in 2002. Companies that support DVD-R include Pioneer, Toshiba, Hitachi, and Panasonic, while companies that support DVD+R include Sony, Philips, Hewlett-Packard, Ricoh, and Yamaha.

However, most of these companies now develop hybrid DVD drives that support both DVD-R and DVD+R formats. They are known as DVD±R or DVD±RW drives. When looking for media for your DVD drive, make sure it ends in "-R" if you have a DVD-R drive or "+R" if you have a DVD+R drive. If you have a DVD±R drive, you can use either format. DVD-R is still more popular than DVD+R, but since they are both widely supported, it should not matter which format you choose.
Also, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR:

Quote:
The DVD+R format is divergent from the DVD-R format. Hybrid drives that can handle both, often labeled "DVD±RW", are very popular since there is not yet a single standard for recordable DVDs. There are a number of significant technical differences between the dash and plus formats, and although most consumers would not notice the difference, the plus format is considered by some to be better engineered.
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 07:59   Link #6
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I remember reading that the term DVD (minus) R was actually put out by the + group to give it a lesser feel to their media. Also people might tell you that +R has better data integrity mechanism, but thats needs to implemented in the HW and normally never is...
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 19:05   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon
I remember reading that the term DVD (minus) R was actually put out by the + group to give it a lesser feel to their media. Also people might tell you that +R has better data integrity mechanism, but thats needs to implemented in the HW and normally never is...
Please read the post immediately above yours. ArchMageZeratuL explained that the DVD-R format came out before the DVD+R format, and that they were released by different groups.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 02:14   Link #8
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Please read the post immediately above yours. ArchMageZeratuL explained that the DVD-R format came out before the DVD+R format, and that they were released by different groups.
My post was meant to be in addition to ArchMageZeratuL's, since I have a read the links provided (also the one by Circular Logic) and am pretty sure none of them highlight two of the main things you hear people say about why +R is better then -R (and at one point why it was worth it to pay more for the media) which are :
  • "Plus" is better then "minus" re: the name gives it away
  • "Plus" protects your data better because it has a "defect management system" built into it

And I was trying to highlight that the term "Plus" was used allegedly as a marketing strategy by the DVD Alliance to give the impression that their media is better then the Forums and that the term "Minus" was actually put out by them (allegedly).

With the second point, people who tend to big up the + format and talk about how it is better at protecting your data, but don't mention that the extra functionalty is implemented in the hardware and most devices don't actually have that function built in to it.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 16:42   Link #9
Jolaloye

So I guess DVD-r is more compatible with more DVD players or it really doesn't matter?
Old 2006-01-14, 18:59   Link #10
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaloye
So I guess DVD-r is more compatible with more DVD players or it really doesn't matter?
With modern players, they are equally compatible. With older (say 4 years), -R is slightly more compatible. Odds are you will not run into a player where they will not work equally.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 00:05   Link #11
Jolaloye

Thanks a lot guys for all the answers.
Old 2006-01-17, 10:07   Link #12
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

The way I understood it was that the "official" format is DVD-R, and DVD+R was developed by a bunch of dudes as a low cost alternative to DVD-R (I believe DVD-R has high licensing or royalty fees compared with +R).

Anyway, a while ago I wrote a bitrate calculator, so I researched the sizes of various media. DVD-R has another 5 or 6MB extra storage space over +R (but I wouldn't use it for the simple reason if you need to copy that disc back to a +R)

Code:
+------------------------+--------+---------+------------+
| Media Type/Description | MB     | KB      | Bytes      |
| CD 21min/185MB (80mm)	 | 185    | 189000  | 193536000  |
| CD 74min/650MB (120mm) | 650    | 666000  | 681984000  |
| CD 80min/700MB (120mm) | 703    | 720000  | 737280000  |
| CD 90min/790MB (120mm) | 791    | 810000  | 829440000  |
| CD 99min/870MB (120mm) | 870    | 891000  | 912384000  |
| DVD-R/DVD-RW 4.7GB	 | 4488   | 4595776 | 4706074624 | 
| DVD+R/DVD RW 4.7GB	 | 4483   | 4590208 | 4700372992 | 
| DL DVD+R 8.5GB	 | 8152   | 8347650 | 8547993600 |
Anyone have some specs for 80mm mini DVD? I believe it's about 1.5GB, but I would like something a little more specific.
Zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 06:16   Link #13
Gekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaloye
What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? Which one should I be using? Does it make a difference anyway. Which format will play on more dvd players?
Find out all answers here:
http://dvdsoftwareguide.com/all-about-dvd-2-guide.html
Gekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 01:42   Link #14
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
The way I understood it was that the "official" format is DVD-R, and DVD+R was developed by a bunch of dudes as a low cost alternative to DVD-R (I believe DVD-R has high licensing or royalty fees compared with +R).
If that's the case, why is there no price difference between the two types of blank media nowadays?

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 20:14   Link #15
Farix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
With modern players, they are equally compatible. With older (say 4 years), -R is slightly more compatible. Odds are you will not run into a player where they will not work equally.
I bought a Panasonic multi-disk player last year and it doesn't support +R (nor ±RW for that matter)
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 21:38   Link #16
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farix
I bought a Panasonic multi-disk player last year and it doesn't support +R (nor ±RW for that matter)
Well if you dont read the box you probably wont know if its combatible or not. You still have to make Informed purchases. Just because we say you can find that quite a few players can play both formats doesnt mean you wont find a player that cant play both.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 17:25   Link #17
denss

Its hard to say which one is better, it's all depends on the DVD media manufacturer.
Generally I prefer a DVD+R from a good manufacturer like Taiyo Yuden.
Also, DVD+R discs can be bit-setted if the DVD writer supports it, so compatibility rises to DVD-R levels.
denss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 09:35   Link #18
theanimedude

Send a message via AIM to theanimedude Send a message via Yahoo to theanimedude
When i burned a vob file aka TS_video onto a DVD+R, it works fine on a DVD player. when i use a DVD-R with the same files. it doesnt work on a DVD player. Thats kind of why dvd+rs are more expensive than the DVd-rs.

all summed up in just 3 sentences. just stick with DVD+r's. u'll be fine. i havent had any problems with DVD+rs but with DVd-rs, it's a bizatch.....
theanimedude is offline   Reply With Quote