AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 07:39   Link #41
wao
OK.

I was reading the bbs of one of the animators who worked on this show and apparently this first episode was done around the time of Aquarion ep 3. That's about a year ago!! Wow. No wonder the relatively stable animation quality - you'd expect shittier stuff, considering how many projects Madhouse is doing! Not just Kiba, Strawberry Panic and Nana, there's also movies and other things...
Old 2006-04-11, 09:54   Link #42
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I was reading the bbs of one of the animators who worked on this show and apparently this first episode was done around the time of Aquarion ep 3. That's about a year ago!! Wow. No wonder the relatively stable animation quality - you'd expect shittier stuff, considering how many projects Madhouse is doing! Not just Kiba, Strawberry Panic and Nana, there's also movies and other things...
I hope this will not lead to what I am thinking it will lead to... (a sudden drop in quality once they start rushing).

NOOOO, please, I liked this show so much from the first ep!
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 10:28   Link #43
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
well I hope they keep up the quality of ep.1. It was very entertaining and I'm looking forward to more
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:21   Link #44
Masj
saiko denwa o narimashita

The the thread move to DVD & Licensed ... is it even officially licensed yet!

anyway back to topic.
It would be awesome if they could keep this animation quality. But there will be problems if the Manga continues for to long (Have just read the first Manga, have no clue how long it might go). Drawing quality is quite important for this type of series... If they ever come close to the manga i hope they will do a season break like FMP.
Masj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:04   Link #45
multani2842

Revi's diabolic smile, custom guns, a blond women as boss, it bring me back to Hellsing .

I can't help myself to transform Revi in gifs

multani2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 02:39   Link #46
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I hope this will not lead to what I am thinking it will lead to... (a sudden drop in quality once they start rushing).

NOOOO, please, I liked this show so much from the first ep!
Well I do remember this show was kind of postponed for an entire year since last year... perhaps this means that they used the time for extra preparation! I hope the director insisted that they don't produce shit-quality work with rushed schedules and outsourcing of everything. Please please please keep the quality!
Old 2006-04-14, 07:56   Link #47
Gryff
England ~_~

Its got pirates!
Nice first episode.
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 16:17   Link #48
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07

This is a pretty hardcore series! I can imagine this on Adult Swim in a couple years from now.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 02:26   Link #49
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

If this show stays the way it is, I will get this series. If not, then it was a waste of talent. Did Geneon help produce anime like Samurai Champloo, Ergro Proxy, and Air Gear?
MarcusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 07:25   Link #50
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
Great start to the series and I really hope we don't have to wait years for it to be released in the UK!

While it is clearly a fictional action anime I was impressed by the story and dialog and the general attention to detail.

In many ways the story is actual quite plausible. Piracy in certain regions of Asia, particularly Indonesia and Malaysia, is a huge problem and large cargo ships being stormed and people taken for ransom is a regular event. Trading of nuclear secrets is certainly a possibility but Russia and North Korea/Pakistan are a more likely sources than a Japanese company.

The PT boat appears to be of WW2 vintage but similar boats were used by the US during the Vietnam war. This would tie in nicely with the suggestion that the pirate town was started by Vietnam deserters.

Had to laugh at the name of the mercenary group hired to hunt them down.... "EO" (Extra Order?) which is a clear reference to the infamous real life mercenary company "Executive Outcomes". Think Executive Outcomes was "closed down" by South Africa and had to change it's name.

The use of the Russian Hind Helicopter gunship was a nice touch. Once again it seems to link back to real life events. In the late 90's I saw similar Helicopter gunship in Darwin belonging to the mercenary company Sandline International (which has close tires to Executive Outcome). They were going to use Helicopter gunships against Bougainville rebels under contract to Papua New Guinea government until the unpaid PNG army forcefully objected.

However I have to take marks off for flying the helicopter gunship from a "James-Bond-esque" cargo ship. A clearing in the jungle as the helicopter base would been more realistic and gritty and would have suited the story better. The "psychopathic mercenary leader" has been done to death and I can't imagine a seasoned professional solider playing with the target, better to get the job done and go home to be paid.

These criticism have me worried that the story will just become a FMP clone and lack any real plot.

Last edited by dan88; 2006-04-15 at 07:36.
dan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 17:26   Link #51
Astaroth

Red face

I just loved the manga and I hope the anime is just as good. It's actually quite a hardcore story(Like the two psyco kids in vol2) and I hope it doesn't get bloodless.
Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 18:23   Link #52
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Funny that you mention the helicopter, because it is interesting.

The helicopter model is, of course, Mi-24A, which was an earlier variation of the regular Hind (Mi-24) that was so popular in movies. You can notice this by looking at the cockpit because it looks angular as opposed to Hind's more rounded design.

The thing is, 24A was an very limited-production model and it was never exported.

However, 24A seems to be very popular with the Japanese. If you've played Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, you'll notice that the helicopters there are also 24A's, not regular 24's. 8)
Old 2006-04-16, 03:50   Link #53
kujoe
from head to heel

I like what I'm seeing in this show, so right now I can say that it's definitely a keeper. A show with guns blazing, piracy on the high seas and a Japanese salaryman stuck between it all—man, I'm so in! Hopefully this momentum stays the same throughout its entire run.

The part where Dutch mentions the Filipino navy caught me by surprise though. I was thinking, "Dude... We have a navy?"
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 06:48   Link #54
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
I was quite surprised actually. I thought this only was boobs boobs boobs all the way, but in my eyes there were almost no fanservice. And somehow I really enjoyed both main characters. (Which is usually rare because I can't stand gunnergirls like her) but I just loved her personality. I feel sooo sorry for him as well.

This is more mature stuff? I seems so. And I'm very happy for it!
I'm looking forward to the next episode
Friera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 08:26   Link #55
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, that was some quality fun. 8)

The second episode not only didn't go in quality, hell, it actually managed to go up! And the 3rd episode preview looks even more exiting. Can you believe that?

Spoiler:

I don't really think that they've already finished animating the whole series in advance (that's usually not feasible), but it does seem like the quality will continue to stay top-notch. Add that to great characters and intriguing plot, and you've got yourself a winner.

PS: I was also disappointed that the ending sorry-excuse-for-a-song was not just a placeholder, but will continue the same. Yup, mournful funereal music and Revy losing articles of clothing on the beach... will go on being the ED. Tch!
Old 2006-04-16, 08:33   Link #56
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
The part where Dutch mentions the Filipino navy caught me by surprise though. I was thinking, "Dude... We have a navy?"
Nah, the sub I have says that its the Filipino Coast Guard. I pretty sure your country has that.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 11:48   Link #57
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, I was just kidding myself. With the way things are going, it's not surprising some people over here developed a sad and pessimistic sense of humor.

The fansub I watched also mentions a place called "Balawan." Now, the scanlated manga I happened to read out of curiosity says "Palawan," which is the largest island of the Palawan province here in the Philippines. I've been there once, but lucky for me there were no pirates. Still, this isn't Front Mission 3 but I still got a kick out of it.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 15:59   Link #58
KJlost

Philippine does have a navy, just not the kind you might expect. At the moment it is more like a coastguard, maintained by several patrol crafts and fast-attack crafts donated or purchased from South Korea and Britain. Either one could blow the torpedo boat the pirate group had out of the water fairly well.

Spoiler:
KJlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 16:28   Link #59
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I don't really think that they've already finished animating the whole series in advance (that's usually not feasible), but it does seem like the quality will continue to stay top-notch. Add that to great characters and intriguing plot, and you've got yourself a winner.
Guess it will end at Vol. 5...... which imo is an excellent way to end the series.

I watched the raw and well, seems that it has added a lot of stuff to the original manga.
Spoiler:

unfortunately my japanese is too crappy to understand what they are talking about, *sigh*
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 17:29   Link #60
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
Well, I was just kidding myself. With the way things are going, it's not surprising some people over here developed a sad and pessimistic sense of humor.

The fansub I watched also mentions a place called "Balawan." Now, the scanlated manga I happened to read out of curiosity says "Palawan," which is the largest island of the Palawan province here in the Philippines. I've been there once, but lucky for me there were no pirates. Still, this isn't Front Mission 3 but I still got a kick out of it.
Belawan is in Indonesia. One of their major port cities
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, crime, seinen