AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-17, 13:02   Link #1
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Novel Japan - a new novel magazine from Hobby Japan

Just read the news of the magazine in ANN. I am pretty interested in Japanese light novels and plan to subscribe to a novel magazine for my monthly/bimonthy fix. Initially I decided to stick to the Dengeki franchise and start with Dengeki HP (got the April issue last week at a discount, and it's pretty enjoyable). But a new magazine with fresh starts for all the stories seems to be even better . I wonder if any one has got the magazine and can briefly comment on the stories serialized, as well as the columns and any interesting content?

Thanks.

http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/hjbunko/nj/vol001.html
Old 2006-09-17, 19:02   Link #2
NeoSam

I can only provide you with "technical" info and no more, stuff about target audience and stuff like that :P

Do you remember the list of male oriented light novel magazines that I provided you with before ?

Well, there were 5 male oriented light novel magazines and now there are 6

Its now like a pair the light novel magazine Novel JAPAN and the light novel label HJ Bunko.

HJ Bunko is a light novel label for boys thats published by Hobby Japan, this new label for boys started on July 1st this year (2006), and on the first of every month there will be light novels published under this label.

All the light novels for boys published under this label can be seen here:
http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/hjbunko/hjbunko/lineup.html

And on 9/9/2006 this new light novel magazine from Hobby Japan has begun but starting from the second issue the magazine will published on the 10th of every month.

This new light novel magazine will not only serialize light novels but also manga.

Light novels from this new magazine will be published under the boy's label HJ Bunko when they are released in volumes.

I was really excited to know that a new light novel magazine for male audience has begun (since there aren't that many compared to light novel magazines for females).
Old 2006-09-18, 12:38   Link #3
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Umm... so with both manga and novels both covering considerable portions (5 manga vs 9 novels), it is probably more like a hybrid leisure-reading magazine, than a dedicated novel magazine like Dengeki HP or Sneaker. A pity that I don't really have any experience with this works under the HJ Bunko lable, so I'm not sure if its stories will suit my taste or not. The price tag of 790 yen (monthly issue) is also a bit steep when compared to the 720 yen price of its major competitors (bi-monthly issue).

Here is a list of its titles:

Novels:

アレクシオン・サーガ
蹂躙者たちの街
グロリアスドーン
フェイク・フェイク
せんすいかん
ネバーランド・クロニクル
装甲騎兵ボトムズ
コマンドフォークト
ほうこぐさ
ゴッデス!

Manga:

おしえて名言(プリーズなごん)さん!
ファニーデビルにお願い♥
シュシュシュの朱
魔法の海兵隊員 <= I've read its tankoubons and it's really fun: a manga tutorial on English vulgar expressions
猫耳のナクザ

OT: An interesting note that Dengeki HP is not an officially registered magazine in Japan . When I tried to subscribe it from a Japanese book shop, they said it's not published with the magazine code, but the ISBN code, thus it cannot be subscribed, and can only be ordered after it has been released (or when the ISBN code can be retrieved via the web). So strictly speaking, it is a regularly-released tankoubon with tonnes of serialized novels, columns and misc stuff . No wonder it is the only novel magazine with a volume number for every issue (vol 44 for the coming issue in October). I wonder if it's possible to have it licensed like other novel tankoubon... . (just joking)

Last edited by Doraneko; 2006-09-18 at 12:53.
Old 2006-09-18, 18:17   Link #4
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Umm... so with both manga and novels both covering considerable portions (5 manga vs 9 novels), it is probably more like a hybrid leisure-reading magazine, than a dedicated novel magazine like Dengeki HP or Sneaker.
Ahh but even Dengeki HP has serializations of manga in it.
Light novel magazines don't have to be strictly containing light novels to be considered light novel magazines, they just have to be mostly serializing light novels.

But its mostly according to what the publisher says, if the publishers says its a light novel magazine, then thats what it is >.<

Ahh, also btw Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! light novel is getting an anime this October the light novel is published under the Dengeki Bunko label, and a manga based on the light novel is serialized in Dengeki HP

Read this thread here.

Quote:
魔法の海兵隊員 <= I've read its tankoubons and it's really fun: a manga tutorial on English vulgar expressions
Hmm, a question; how did you read the tankoubons when the manga just started in this magazine LOL
Old 2006-09-19, 10:46   Link #5
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Ahh but even Dengeki HP has serializations of manga in it.
Light novel magazines don't have to be strictly containing light novels to be considered light novel magazines, they just have to be mostly serializing light novels.

But its mostly according to what the publisher says, if the publishers says its a light novel magazine, then thats what it is >.<
From my April issue of Dengeki HP, there's only 1 manga, while there are 13 novels in serialization. In contrast, Novel Japan has 5 manga and 9 novels. I'd say the manga portion is apparently quite a significant part of Novel Japan, while in Dengeki HP it is more like a small treat to the readers.

But you're right, if the publisher claims that it is a novel magazine, then it is. It is their magazine after all.

Quote:
Ahh, also btw Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! light novel is getting an anime this October the light novel is published under the Dengeki Bunko label, and a manga based on the light novel is serialized in Dengeki HP

Read this thread here.
The serialization of the manga began in the April issue. It looks quite interesting and the anime is on my October to-watch list.

Quote:
Hmm, a question; how did you read the tankoubons when the manga just started in this magazine LOL
The manga has been being serialized in Arms Magazine (another magazine of Hobby Japan) for quite some time and so far two tankoubons have been released. When I checked the titles listed in the official website more closely, quite a few of them are not fresh new works, like Sensuikan and MahouKai.

Talking about the "basics"... Definitely take a look at the second photo
Old 2006-09-20, 01:19   Link #6
NeoSam

Quote:
The manga has been being serialized in Arms Magazine (another magazine of Hobby Japan) for quite some time and so far two tankoubons have been released. When I checked the titles listed in the official website more closely, quite a few of them are not fresh new works, like Sensuikan and MahouKai.

Talking about the "basics"... Definitely take a look at the second photo
I see ^^ and about that image is that a song

Arms Magazine looks pretty interesting now
Old 2006-09-23, 12:24   Link #7
deaddeath

Quote:
Just read the news of the magazine in ANN. I am pretty interested in Japanese light novels and plan to subscribe to a novel magazine for my monthly/bimonthy fix. Initially I decided to stick to the Dengeki franchise and start with Dengeki HP (got the April issue last week at a discount, and it's pretty enjoyable). But a new magazine with fresh starts for all the stories seems to be even better . I wonder if any one has got the magazine and can briefly comment on the stories serialized, as well as the columns and any interesting content?

Thanks.

http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/hjbunko/nj/vol001.html
Yeah I love reading and since you describe the Japan Novel I think I might read it after all. Thankshttp://
Closed Thread

Tags
light novels, shounen