AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-07, 19:00   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

AniRec
site: http://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/

AniRec @ Anime-Planet function via user input. All of the series you want are there all complete with a short review and a attached image (similar to AniDB) The system works by gathering information from you thorugh one of two ways. Both are easy and fast, and there's no direct human input required on the other side for you to recieve your answer.

I. Request (no registration required)

The simplest way to use AniRec is simply to browse it.
When you enter the site, on the front page, on the left navigation, just bellow recent anime you will find a category labeled AniRec.
(it should look something like the screen on the right)

There are 3 diffrent ways to browse:
  1. By Letter - a little counter intuitive, basicly what it says is "by name" but it's named funny. I don't recomend using this one. Just go to http://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/ via the big link in the sites main navigation link and you accomplish the same thing.

To get recomandations simply type the name (or part just part of it) of your favorite series. You will be taken to a page with the series, proceed by scrolling down, you will see recomandations for that particular show.

The System/Interface:

Say I was searching for recomandations of series similar to Shoukou no Strain.

Spoiler for Example.:

Notice that just above the big Recomandation button on the top right corner of the boxes for the Recomended series, there some text which reads: click here to read why!
    Basically the Recomandation was submited by someone and that someone saved a reason for you.

A example, this time the target was Nanatsuiro Drops.
    Spoiler for Example.:

This time I also logged in and I had rated it.

2. By Genre/Tag - This one is still in it's infancy so searching with it may not be very productive but it's available.

Self explanatory example...
    Spoiler for Example.:

3. By Studio - Probably the neatest and most intresting.

You do not need to know the names of studios, just search for a series, like say Kanon (2006).

Spoiler for Example.:

II. By Submissions (registration; it's free )

First register.

Once you've done that start by searching for your favorite series.
You'll notice AniRec is providing a lot of other shows you've watched under recomandations.

Go through them and rate them. (you'll need to mark them as watched/droped/stalled etc before rating)
This takes less time then you think, something like 5 minutes for every 30 serie, if not less.

Once you've done that, recomandations will come in your profile, just refresh them until you find something which sounds intresting.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-02-07 at 21:35.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:09   Link #2
sothis

wow!! o_o

I am humbled that this has been posted - thanks NSW and mods for allowing it. Cats, you've written up a great tutorial. If you are interested, I can edit it a bit to show off some of the other useful features when looking for recs (for one, the filter, which I've been procrastinating putting up and now will do so tonight)

When AP V3 is put up in about 3-6 months some of these new features (like tags, etc) will be WAY more useful... haha, now I am motivated to work faster XD
Old 2008-02-16, 04:46   Link #3
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I've made some recommendations recently... I'm waiting to see if they are approved. I'm kind of new at it, so they aren't very good yet, but I'll improve them as I go along. (I can always edit later.)
Old 2008-06-23, 03:57   Link #4
KasuiHane
The Otaku Icarii

O_O Cats...you are now my favorite person ever X3

i have been looking for a good way to find more anime i will like ^_^ thank you

this also helped me find the series i couldn't find anywhere through the genre tags XD
Old 2008-08-21, 07:44   Link #5
Crontica

Anime planet is a excellent site, i had been hesitating on whether to sign up, but when i did BAM instant knowledge, i have found alot of good anime titles that have slipped under the radar, i hope they bring the site back up soon.
Old 2008-08-26, 17:40   Link #6
Makkusu
Redeye Ninja

It's a good website, I like the way you can monitor how much anime you've watched...
Old 2008-09-21, 02:19   Link #7
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Probably one of the best ways to keep track of your anime period, while helping you expend your anime viewing. One of my favorite sites on the web period. More than anything else though I like the recommendations, Sothis does keep track of them, least last time I check :P, and you know that they have a real reason why the anime has been recommended instead of just for just the hell of it.
Old 2009-02-06, 08:07   Link #8
Snider
Banned

anime-planet new system is very confusing...i cant even navigate it anymore...too weird..
Old 2009-02-06, 17:01   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I cant say I understand it either. xD
Old 2009-02-09, 12:48   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Although the idea of having an ever-expanding anime archive on my tabs, just the idea of researching makes me feel tired...maybe I'll use it when I'm in dire need of anime
Old 2009-06-29, 19:35   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Maybe someone can answer me something, as a newbie to A-P... Is there any way to get a recommendation based on the shows you list as watched, and how you rated them? I know the OP mentioned recommendations in your profile, but I've rated about 150 series and I've never gotten a recommendation in my profile. Also - is there any facility to see the average rating for a given series? If I pull up a show and 4000 people list it as "watched", I'd be curious to see how they ranked it - but i can't seem to find that functionality anywhere.

I love the concept - and it's a fun way to track the shows I've watched. I'd just like to derive a bit more practical benefit from the site.
Old 2009-08-05, 12:36   Link #12
sothis

Hey all - the confusing older version of the site is gone, and the new version should be much easier to understand. Cats, I'll pm you with a new tutorial you can replace your first post with, since now there's a lot of new/easy ways to get recs

enzo: right now we don't have a system for automatic recommendations - all recs are user-submitted, reasons are required, and we have rules for those reason (for example, you shouldn't ever see 'both have girls with blue hair' or something stupid like that). But, you can filter recommendations based on what's in your list - so if you are looking on the Naruto page at the recs, you can click 'only unmarked' or 'only unwatched' to help filter them down.

Avg rating was added as well with our V3 launch on July 4 - a few days after you posted this. ^_^ It's on the left side of each entry, though we're updating it in the next week or so to also show rank/etc.

Anyways yeah, I'll try to get a new tutorial figured out so the first post works with V3 ^_^
Old 2009-08-05, 19:50   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks for the update!
Old 2009-08-08, 19:36   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis View Post
Hey all - the confusing older version of the site is gone, and the new version should be much easier to understand. Cats, I'll pm you with a new tutorial you can replace your first post with, since now there's a lot of new/easy ways to get recs
Will be waiting then.
Old 2010-09-13, 20:26   Link #15
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Thanks for this...I actually just found something to watch because of that site.
Closed Thread