AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-13, 11:28   Link #481
Lancel

This is indeed one of my favorites as far as character goes, and it is probably Sheryl's most important episode. Was nice seeing Frontier and the explanation of it all makes it very eco-friendly. I'm not sure what Sheryl was meaning when she got serious about doing things "on their own". It's possible this ties in to Sheryl's other important episode, 18, where Grace tells her that Sheryl didn't do it on her own, and perhaps this scene is meant to suggest tying into that episode, a hint that maybe Sheryl has her own doubts that she really did it all on her own, despite what she tells herself.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 11:36   Link #482
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I'm not sure what Sheryl was meaning when she got serious about doing things "on their own". It's possible this ties in to Sheryl's other important episode, 18, where Grace tells her that Sheryl didn't do it on her own, and perhaps this scene is meant to suggest tying into that episode, a hint that maybe Sheryl has her own doubts that she really did it all on her own, despite what she tells herself.
That's interesting food for thought, although Sheryl seemed to be genuinely surprised when Grace told her just how much of her fame was manufactured.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:20   Link #483
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Impressive how our thoughts mirror each other, especially since I wrote my post without knowledge of yours.
Yeah it is pretty awesome . Just goes to show how much fun can be had with this episode, if our thoughts end up being the same.

@darkplataform - I haven't seen that image in a while. Do you happen to have anymore at all?
Old 2010-11-13, 12:25   Link #484
Lancel

Quote:
That's interesting food for thought, although Sheryl seemed to be genuinely surprised when Grace told her just how much of her fame was manufactured.
It's entirely possible she was telling herself otherwise when those nagging doubts came to mind. This area though doesn't get much exposure. I can only really theorize on it right now, and maybe more of the rewatch will cause things to get noticed more, but I really think Grace was a bigger part in Sheryl's life, particularly early on in her career, than we're ever shown. The face heel turn Grace does on Sheryl likely contributed most of the shock in my opinion, but Sheryl does have a stubborn bone to her and episode 18 is just repeated blows landed on her until her stubbornness wears out. That there in this episode may have been some indication that Sheryl had some niggling doubts, enough doubt to believe that maybe Grace was a big part of her rise to stardom, but stubbornly confident as she is she doesn't buy it when Grace tells her that at first. It was largely the fact that she was going to die that broke her down at first, then later when she sees she's been largely forgotten while Ranka rose to stardom, both events coinciding with Grace dumping Sheryl for managing Ranka, I can see how Sheryl's nagging doubts would finally find voice without a confident voice in Sheryl's mind to counter.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:32   Link #485
magnuskn

Quote:
It's entirely possible she was telling herself otherwise when those nagging doubts came to mind. This area though doesn't get much exposure. I can only really theorize on it right now, and maybe more of the rewatch will cause things to get noticed more, but I really think Grace was a bigger part in Sheryl's life, particularly early on in her career, than we're ever shown. The face heel turn Grace does on Sheryl likely contributed most of the shock in my opinion, but Sheryl does have a stubborn bone to her and episode 18 is just repeated blows landed on her until her stubbornness wears out. That there in this episode may have been some indication that Sheryl had some niggling doubts, enough doubt to believe that maybe Grace was a big part of her rise to stardom, but stubbornly confident as she is she doesn't buy it when Grace tells her that at first. It was largely the fact that she was going to die that broke her down at first, then later when she sees she's been largely forgotten while Ranka rose to stardom, both events coinciding with Grace dumping Sheryl for managing Ranka, I can see how Sheryl's nagging doubts would finally find voice without a confident voice in Sheryl's mind to counter.
Well, as I said, it's interesting food for thought and would be very effective foreshadowing, if the writers would have made it more clear, instead of just having the sentence be uttered without any follow-up for 12 episodes.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:33   Link #486
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I'm not sure what Sheryl was meaning when she got serious about doing things "on their own". It's possible this ties in to Sheryl's other important episode, 18, where Grace tells her that Sheryl didn't do it on her own, and perhaps this scene is meant to suggest tying into that episode, a hint that maybe Sheryl has her own doubts that she really did it all on her own, despite what she tells herself.
I'm not so sure about that, because the Japanese term (勝手に) has the nuance of "it's not like anyone asked (you/them) to" or "how selfish of (them/you) to do that".

*sighs* Felt so sorry for Michel, who had to deal with that petulant kid.

Back again later, when I've actually sat down to watch the ep in its entirety...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 12:41   Link #487
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I'm not so sure about that, because the Japanese term (勝手に) has the nuance of "it's not like anyone asked (you/them) to" or "how selfish of (them/you) to do that".

*sighs* Felt so sorry for Michel, who had to deal with that petulant kid.

Back again later, when I've actually sat down to watch the ep in its entirety...
Really? Where did that come in? I confess it's also possible we're just missing the meaning due to translation issues.
Old 2010-11-13, 16:22   Link #488
Dop
Mmmm....

Definitely the most FUN episode of the series, before things start to get serious. I love the wordplay in the title "Star Date" As other people have commented, I also like the way they explain a little about how Frontier works as a system.

I wonder if modelling Island 1 on San Francisco was some kind of expenses fiddle. "Look boss, we need to go over to America and do some picture research to get material. Honest."

The closet scene is still funny.

Michael nails it on the head when he describes Ranka as being like a spoilt child, but it's his challenge to her - can she sing when nobody is there to see her - which starts her on the path to stardom.

The mall sequence is the highlight of the episode. Sheryl's complete delight at playing with the Zentradi goods, the sudden appearance of Klan, when Sheryl seeks something to write on!
And of course Ranka's song.

I preferred the way this episode did it to the way the movie did it. The movie didn't have Sheryl's meeting with the cow/hippo thing.

And then they leave us with a cliffhanger.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 22:09   Link #489
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

SHERYL!! chooooooooooooooooou kawaiiiiiiiiiiii!
And this is the only real date between any of the three main characters, right?

*sighs and kicks Michel* Unless he avoided her because he didn't want Klan to think he was hitting on a loli?

Quote:
07:23 – And here it is, Alto making clear that he is not going out with Ranka and is indeed single and Sheryl therefore deciding that he is not off-limits. One wonders what thoughts Alto had at this moment. Someone with the light novels could maybe elucidate us?
The novel doesn't really enumerate many of Alto's thoughts, but for this bit, they added that he didn't want to tell Sheryl that they'd (Alto and Ranka) exchanged contact details...

They've also rearranged these scenes slightly (I wonder if I should try and read the novels at the same time as the rewatch now...)

Quote:
10:29 – Alto giving the contrast here to this magnificent view shows how much familiarity breeds contempt. I’d be just as astounded as Sheryl if I’d have the chance to experience such a vista, for him it is all “Meh”. Ennui, indeed.
It's noted in the novel that he's seeing it in a new way because he's with Sheryl, who's so incredibly excited about it.

Quote:
11:00 – Some people have stated that Sheryls motivation for her initial interest in Alto seems silly… but I’ve always thought that it made perfect sense for a huge pop star to feel this way. Everybody else but Grace will always fawn over her every word and someone who is not all that impressed must feel like a huge change of pace for her.
Doesn't even have to be pop stars, right? Sometimes, people who are popular also seem to prefer those that don't try to fawn over them/suck up to them.

Quote:
11:30 – This is acted out a bit strange. Alto getting so insistent on showing Sheryl Island-3 could be interpreted as him really wanting to find Ranka, but this is not shown later on to be his main motivation. Otherwise he wouldn’t have taken her to see the hippos. Their later jaunt into the Folmo mall is shown to be on Sheryls insistence.
Furthermore, he seemed to have forgotten all about Luca's phone call after Ranka finished singing...

======

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
surely this was showed already, but still make good company to this ep

Spoiler for image:

all bubbles translated would be awesome
Starting from bottom right, going anticlockwise:

Perhaps the earring is in here? // It's NOT!
(This was the one that cracked me up and made me translate this...)

You sure it's alright for you to come out like this? // It's fine!
(*arrow to cross bandage on Alto's head* <= slipped on a banana peel)

How do you (eat) something this spicy!
!! Then you have implants too?! // No, I'm a natural

Sir, Ma'am! (lit. "Our dear Customers!"), it's dangerous! So please don't hang yourself outside the vehicle!

Waaah! There's so much here! Frontier's a wonderful place, isn't it!
Was there a scene like this? // Yup ♥

=====

Quote:
Really? Where did that come in? I confess it's also possible we're just missing the meaning due to translation issues.
It's just something that I feel is in the original that isn't quite fully conveyed by the translation. Especially when combined with Sheryl's somewhat "put-out" expression.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-11-14 at 00:02.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 22:12   Link #490
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Not only did we get time with Alto and Sheryl but we learned a lot about Ranka and the differences between her and Sheryl. In short, Sheryl >> Ranka. Which disappoints me since in the original Macross, both girls were great and not one stood out over the other too much. Here, Sheryl overshadows Ranka so much.
Old 2010-11-14, 01:37   Link #491
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Now that I’ve caught up with the re-watch… <3

4:15~4:19 – Ranka’s poor cell phone. xD

5:13 – Leon’s chandelier in his office reminds me of a certain space bug. :P

I love that both versions of “What ‘Bout My Star” are in this episode. I didn’t pay much attention to it when I first watched this series, but hearing Sheryl’s version is always lovely~

All in all, a fun episode. Sheryl's cuteness definitely increased 100% here, in contrast to Ranka's spoiled behavior. Props to Ranka for singing in public like that, though. It's nerve-wracking enough singing in front of a crowd who's come to see you perform, IMO.

I’m definitely looking forward to the next episode~~ <3

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 01:49   Link #492
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Ahhh~ Episode 5 is where my opinion on Sheryl took a 180 degree turn. X3
And while Alto and Sheryl had cute interactions, I was still a bit doubtful. After all, Sheryl could just be fooling around and such.
Oh and Michel hiding from Klan is quite funny.
Old 2010-11-14, 05:07   Link #493
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
In short, Sheryl >> Ranka. Which disappoints me since in the original Macross, both girls were great and not one stood out over the other too much. Here, Sheryl overshadows Ranka so much.
Yeah pretty much. I like Ranka quite a bit, though from this episode onwards i could just never take her serious as a member of the love triangle. That's why i'm so pleased that the first film fixed Ranka's place in the love triangle. She deserved to be there.

Also i'd just like to say that i could easy watch 25 episodes of Alto and Sheryl interacting with one another. So so cute.
Old 2010-11-14, 05:24   Link #494
magnuskn

Quote:
SHERYL!! chooooooooooooooooou kawaiiiiiiiiiiii!
And this is the only real date between any of the three main characters, right?
Going by the definitions of date, yep. Unless you count Sheryl presenting Alto with her gift for his birthday.

Quote:
*sighs and kicks Michel* Unless he avoided her because he didn't want Klan to think he was hitting on a loli?
Yeah, he was showing his denial and romantic cowardice here.

Quote:
[SIZE="3"] The novel doesn't really enumerate many of Alto's thoughts, but for this bit, they added that he didn't want to tell Sheryl that they'd (Alto and Ranka) exchanged contact details...
Which doesn't exactly make Ranka his girlfriend, just his friend.

Quote:
They've also rearranged these scenes slightly (I wonder if I should try and read the novels at the same time as the rewatch now...)
That would be nice for us others here.

Quote:
It's noted in the novel that he's seeing it in a new way because he's with Sheryl, who's so incredibly excited about it.
Yeah, I think I noticed some of that in the episode.

Quote:
Starting from bottom right, going anticlockwise:

Perhaps the earring is in here? // It's NOT!
(This was the one that cracked me up and made me translate this...)

You sure it's alright for you to come out like this? // It's fine!
(*arrow to cross bandage on Alto's head* <= slipped on a banana peel)

How do you (eat) something this spicy!
!! Then you have implants too?! // No, I'm a natural

Sir, Ma'am! (lit. "Our dear Customers!"), it's dangerous! So please don't hang yourself outside the vehicle!

Waaah! There's so much here! Frontier's a wonderful place, isn't it!
Was there a scene like this? // Yup ♥
Many thanks for the translation!
Old 2010-11-14, 12:50   Link #495
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oooooookay. Just seen episode 5.
I gotta say that, originally, this wasn't my turning point towards the Sheryl camp - although rewatching it now, I can't, for the life of me, understand why it wasn't.

Everything seems to point towards her being the "best" catch. I mean, even going by the OP, Ranka seems way younger than her and Alto (but I still dig her Valkyrie backpack). I don't really remember when, in the series, it was stated that she's the same age as them - I guess it's made obvious later, when she enrolls in Mihoshi Academy and all - but visually, I cannot actually accept it. It feels off, somehow.
Sheryl's moods and expressions and faces (see her stating that Alto doesn't treat her like "Sheryl", her moaning in the closet, and all of her cute moments during the date for the variety I mean) are also a big selling point.

Also, the closet scene is just too damn funny.

Anyway, seeing as I can't really do an unbiased rewatch, I'm gonna say that today, I became a Sheryl fan as soon as the fifth episode of the show - even if originally it did take a little longer (I distinctly remember being peeved at her taking Alto to Gallia IV and leaving Ranka behind) and we'll let bygones be bygones.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 12:54   Link #496
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I don't really remember when, in the series, it was stated that she's the same age as them - I guess it's made obvious later, when she enrolls in Mihoshi Academy and all - but visually, I cannot actually accept it.
Next episode, actually. Ozma flat out tells her that she'll be 16 and an adult soon.

Quote:
(I distinctly remember being peeved at her taking Alto to Gallia IV and leaving Ranka behind)
How could she take Ranka to Gallia IV, if Ranka had her concert the very next day?
Old 2010-11-14, 13:00   Link #497
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, well, when we get to that episode we'll be able to expand on that.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 13:05   Link #498
Lancel

From what I remember Alto and Ranka both have birthdays during the series. Ranka's is glossed over. Sheryl is 17 throughout and roughly 1.5 years older than Ranka. That's about the difference between me and my brother and I can pretty well say there was a good sized difference there. They're at an age where every year counts. Side note Alto is about six months younger than Sheryl and nearly a full year older than Ranka.
Old 2010-11-14, 13:11   Link #499
magnuskn

Quote:
Yeah, well, when we get to that episode we'll be able to expand on that.
Right you are.
Old 2010-11-14, 14:14   Link #500
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
From what I remember Alto and Ranka both have birthdays during the series. Ranka's is glossed over. Sheryl is 17 throughout and roughly 1.5 years older than Ranka. That's about the difference between me and my brother and I can pretty well say there was a good sized difference there. They're at an age where every year counts. Side note Alto is about six months younger than Sheryl and nearly a full year older than Ranka.
I thought they were all the same age, but Ranka looks a lot younger than one year.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch