AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 23.33%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 32.67%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 37 24.67%
7 out of 10: Good... 14 9.33%
6 out of 10: Average... 5 3.33%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 1.33%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.33%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 1.33%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 0.67%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-19, 00:39   Link #101
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think this episode continues on a few themes that have been developing over the course of these last few episodes.

First, we see the continuation of the theme of "living within the game". I think that understanding Lisbeth's feelings sort of depends on you figuring out the sort of life she is living in the game, manning a lonely shop. She sees people all the time, and has some friends like Asuna, but at the end of the day she's all alone. That's fine when you think you're just biding time and have to wait for people to clear the game... but as time wore on, you can imagine that this idea of "living within the game" becomes more important. So then in comes Kirito and takes her on an adventure where he risks his own life to save her (despite the fact that she went against his instructions). So I think it was natural for her to come to the "ah, this is what I've been missing" realization. Did she really love him? Well, in the circumstance, I can see why she might have thought so. But the key thing is that having real bonds with people is what gives the strength to move on (that's the thing that's "real" in this fake world), and that ties in perfectly with Kirito and his solo-playing ways.

I think it was also interesting the way they developed Kirito here. When he saved Lisbeth, it wasn't because he's really so altruistic that he's willing to save any damsel in distress. Rather, he's scared of seeing someone else die, particularly at his hands. This ties back very well to the earlier development of his character. The way this transitioned into what's presumably coming next was quite well done, and it brings some closure to this "chapter" of the story (these first seven episodes). He now has a reason to fight because he has people he wants to save. He was always a good player, and generally a good guy, but now he has what it takes it be a Hero. Now it's time to save the world...

Edit: That aside, I just want to say that one little touch that was really perfect was right after Lisbeth's confession was interrupted, and she finds out that there's something between Asuna and Kirito. What tipped her off was really simple: one glance. The whole "squabble" that followed reaffirmed it, but that one glance said it all. Nice touch.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-19 at 01:13.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 00:49   Link #102
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this series keeps doing a great job at keeping the characters engaging, at this point im more interested in character development than in the setting ot plot, specially when that mystery arc was quite half assed in my opinion, and kinda worries me it start staggering with prolonged and irrelevant arcs and sidestories.
Old 2012-08-19, 00:57   Link #103
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Considering that Kirito's current sword in this episode is the same one featured in the opening, I would've liked to see how he got it. Lizbeth's description of the sword seems to hint at its status (a demon sword) as a special drop from a special monster of sorts, and I think it's unfortunate that this sword suddenly appears out of the blue in Kirito's hand, at the begining of this episode. Hopefully, a flashback one day...?

Overall, it was an entertaining episode, even though the main story seems to jump a bit too much more than I would've liked. After the second episode or so, it seems a lot has been skipped in favour of fastforwarding Kirito into a high-levelled solo player and Asuna into a major player in some big name guild. I like my fluff too from time to time, but I can't help but feel that there's this huge chunk of content that's missing.
Well considering Kirito's equipment has changed pretty regularly throughout episodes 1-7 I don't think they need to talk too much about how he picked up that black sword. Could end up sticking with it since it's in the OP, but it may have just been the one the animators wanted to show off one. Plus probably wouldn't be a big story unless they tied it into something else. After all Kirito being a solo player is bound to have a ton of rare items since the drops aren't being shared with anyone.

It does feel like that was the goal for these episodes. Set up Kirito as a person and quickly level him up to a point where the end (clearing the game) is relatively in sight. The setting of course had the potential turn into some super long epic, but that's not what we're going for I suppose.
Old 2012-08-19, 01:10   Link #104
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It does feel like that was the goal for these episodes. Set up Kirito as a person and quickly level him up to a point where the end (clearing the game) is relatively in sight. The setting of course had the potential turn into some super long epic, but that's not what we're going for I suppose.
Time constraints make the fastforward understandable—but the opening is meant to partly 'sell' the show so to speak, and if this sword is featured as a definitive part of a character, I would've at least expected some special mention of it somewhere. Kirito literally walks in the shop and casually shows the sword to Lizbeth out of nowhere asking her if she could forge something better.

Perhaps it's just me having some sort of expectation about the 'proper' order of things, and maybe the Elucidator isn't that significant after all, but it's still a lost opportunity for an interesting event in the story in my opinion. Or maybe there's going to be a flashback later on, but with the way the story is going currently, I'm not so sure about that.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 01:14   Link #105
zero7090

[mod edit: Please use words...]

Well everything went better than expected

They should split this side story in 2 ep and make the dragon and sleeping screen more emotional/fabulous

Quote:
Considering that Kirito's current sword in this episode is the same one featured in the opening, I would've liked to see how he got it. Lizbeth's description of the sword seems to hint at its status (a demon sword) as a special drop from a special monster of sorts, and I think it's unfortunate that this sword suddenly appears out of the blue in Kirito's hand, at the begining of this episode. Hopefully, a flashback one day...?
This is mmorpg so RNG strike. i have seen so many good-for-nothing-scrub who cant even dps get gold/ancient/legendary loot.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-19 at 01:19. Reason: removed pointless meme images...
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 01:17   Link #106
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Perhaps it's just me having some sort of expectation about the 'proper' order of things, and maybe the Elucidator isn't that significant after all, but it's still a lost opportunity for an interesting event in the story in my opinion. Or maybe there's going to be a flashback later on, but with the way the story is going currently, I'm not so sure about that.
I'm not sure why we're to assume there's anything particularly interesting about that sword. They did say that it was a rare boss drop, but other than that I think it's just a random sword of many he's no doubt used so far.

I mean, there are probably billions of "interesting stories" that happened in SAO if you think about it, but we're only going to see a few. Presumably, they're the most important ones.
Old 2012-08-19, 01:41   Link #107
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
In this week's Side Arcs Online (SAO), we get another "Girl gets wooed by Kirito's Charm" and Kirito rejects her because she's pretty low on the list in regards to his harem!

In all seriousness, it was a pretty average ep. I did however eyeroll that another girl had to fall for Kirito... in such a short period of time. Otherwise another typical side arc episode. Wish it would get to the main arc already so I can judge the series properly and not based on side arcs that I frankly don't really care about. Sure we get Kirito character development, but this could have easily been done if a more "traditional" approach of incorporating side arcs whilst following a main plot line (via flashbacks if need be).
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 01:57   Link #108
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm not sure why we're to assume there's anything particularly interesting about that sword. They did say that it was a rare boss drop, but other than that I think it's just a random sword of many he's no doubt used so far.
I already mentioned why I assumed it would've or might have been significant. I guess in other words, it's part of the 'default' depiction of the character... at least based on the opening of the anime. Perhaps others wouldn't have really bothered thinking that the sword might be something significant at one point in the story, but personally I expected that it would've at least been somewhat important nonetheless. To me, it was like the 'loaded gun' at the beginning waiting for someone to pull its trigger only to find out that time has already passed on by.

I also have to say that I agree with Pocari Sweat on this. We all know that it takes time to introduce the characters, but at a certain point it's time to address the seriousness of the situation that has been introduced since the beginning in a more forward manner. More focus on the main arc would be a more interesting change of pace right about now.

Last edited by kujoe; 2012-08-19 at 02:08.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 02:14   Link #109
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Rather ok episode. Everything fits together nicely in this episode, but I can't help but feel that everything is rushed, from Lisbeth developing feelings for Kirito and how they kinda fast forward the entire hunt for the rare material and fighting the boss dragon. I think one of the biggest problem I have with the series is the lackluster fight scenes. Too much pauses during battles and even skip/fast forward entire big fight.
Old 2012-08-19, 02:30   Link #110
Pen3

I may have mistaken, but isn't Dark Repulsor supposed to have Lizbeths logo on the quillon block or pommel?
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 02:32   Link #111
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
In this week's Side Arcs Online (SAO), we get another "Girl gets wooed by Kirito's Charm" and Kirito rejects her because she's pretty low on the list in regards to his harem!

In all seriousness, it was a pretty average ep. I did however eyeroll that another girl had to fall for Kirito... in such a short period of time. Otherwise another typical side arc episode. Wish it would get to the main arc already so I can judge the series properly and not based on side arcs that I frankly don't really care about. Sure we get Kirito character development, but this could have easily been done if a more "traditional" approach of incorporating side arcs whilst following a main plot line (via flashbacks if need be).
I don't particularly have an issue with how they are doing things right now. I believe I said this before, the 'side arcs' element reminds me a lot of Casshern SINS. As long as he does something that entertains me, there can be side plots all the way til the end. If it's something like ep3 though, with Sachi, then that would suck, but devoting an entire episode to a new girl character is fine by me. And I thought Liz was cute too. They really did well at showing a connection between the two. The closer was pretty good too(unlike with Silica =02). At least I'm feeling her more than Asuna right now, who hasn't shown much of a cute side to me or anything =0\.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 03:09   Link #112
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Lovely episode.

Poor Liz. She got friendzoned (Am i saying it right?) But at least you cared about the feelings of your friend Asuna.
Old 2012-08-19, 03:14   Link #113
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyable episode, even if it was another "side arc online" (lol). But as a seiyuu fan, it was Lisbeth's voice that really impressed me. Just awkward enough, with some real flash and energy, within the limits of the character. I should have realized who it was, but didn't until the end credits: one of my favorites, Takagaki Ayahi (Noe in True Tears, Feldt Grace in Chrome-Shelled Regios, Wakana in Tari Tari, and a member of Sphere).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 03:29   Link #114
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't remember any Feldt in Chrome Shelled Regios. Only in Gundam 00.

edit: (right. She was Nina Antalk in CSR.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 03:57   Link #115
Kafriel
Senior Guest

A few technical questions...Dark Repulser is not registered in the craftbook but still has a +0 next to it, unlike Kirito's previous sword, the Elucidator. Why didn't it have an upgrade rank? I also don't see the point in using his new sword, since his old one had better stats savefor 4 STR. Then there's the material used...Liz said only a craftsman can extract it, but Kirito had already dug it up by the time she was awake.

Anyways, pretty nice episode, another day of grinding for materials with some nice company~
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 04:45   Link #116
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
That, and if Lisbeth Salander was trapped in Sword Art Online, she'd probably hack into the game, log everyone out, deduce Kayaba Akihiko's location from his IP address or something, inform the authorities, and end this whole Sword Art Online crisis in all of 15 minutes! (And the bizarre crossover plot bunnies are bouncing around in my head again).
That's a funny theory, but how would someone hack a game from within, where their actions are limited by the system and have no access to a command console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
I may have mistaken, but isn't Dark Repulsor supposed to have Lizbeths logo on the quillon block or pommel?
Her name was shown in the appraisal window when she checked the sword's stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
A few technical questions...Dark Repulser is not registered in the craftbook but still has a +0 next to it, unlike Kirito's previous sword, the Elucidator. Why didn't it have an upgrade rank? I also don't see the point in using his new sword, since his old one had better stats savefor 4 STR. Then there's the material used...Liz said only a craftsman can extract it, but Kirito had already dug it up by the time she was awake.
Well, Lizbeth did say that the rumours mention that a master smith is required...but in the end, it's just rumors, unconfirmed information.

And the truth is...
Spoiler for Novel vs Anime - Omitted Info:

Anyway, a great episode, some information and lines got cut out, but it's still good.

Not sure what the next ep is about though
Old 2012-08-19, 05:17   Link #117
iceyfw

Quote:
Then there's the material used...Liz said only a craftsman can extract it, but Kirito had already dug it up by the time she was awake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Well, Lizbeth did say that the rumours mention that a master smith is required...but in the end, it's just rumors, unconfirmed information.

And the truth is...
Spoiler for Novel vs Anime - Omitted Info:
just to add more to flamesparkz what the anime did not cover to clear up some confusion in this episode adaptation
Spoiler for one of the rumours to get item off dragon:

and the chapter this episode adaptation was based on didn't even bother to mention how a player raises their HP regeneration skill level in the anime. i mention this because this shows how Kirito's mental state was when he joined the front lines and even before that.

it was an OK anime adaptation episode other than that. not terrible but not even good. somewhere in between.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 05:18   Link #118
Blaat

Side Arcs Online lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
SAO lurches towards becoming a full-on otaku wish-fulfillment anime.
Pretty much.
Old 2012-08-19, 05:42   Link #119
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Even if she was asleep, they were still in the same party.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 06:00   Link #120
Znail

The pet revival flower bloomed when Silica was around and Kirito could have plucked it if he wanted to. Not strange if he woudn't have found anything while digging if he had not had Lisbeth with him.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion