AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2009-07-19, 01:36   Link #2121
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, since religion is merely the ritualised form of practising a faith, I don't see why it's necessarily wrong to adapt it to the needs of the time. Let's not forget that religion is not static and few, if any, are likely to resemble their original forms.

Take Buddhism, for example, which was originally an Indian religion that was sinicised after it arrived to China, taking on features of Taoism in the process. The religion underwent further transformation after arriving to Japan and, in my opinion, became closer to its original form (at least, that's how I think about Zen Buddhism).

Even monotheistic faiths like Christianity and Islam splintered into various denominations over time because of disagreements over the interpretations of sacred texts.

So, if anime or manga helps to draw more people, particularly children or young adults, to a religion, that's probably a good thing. It's part and parcel of a natural process of making religious faith more relevant to changing social norms. The only concern, I guess, is that we may end up trivialising the faith, but then it's worth asking why we'd think that way. After all, anime is not just for kids, right?
It's as you said it.
Japan's a country that with its religions practice them outta custom more than believing them, at least with the latter generation.
Turning it into a manga isn't the issue, it's the purpose of this.

It isn't to convert any to Christianity (I doubt it)
It isn't to storytell to kids who are already brought up in a Christian based society and need a concise fun way to learn the tales of the Bible like the Sunday morning kids show we have in the UK called Storykeepers.
Wiki Link

It draws more people, great.
The Christian population in Japan is 1% (or less iirc) and they have their shops and resources already, so again, why make a manga bout it in a country that doesn't have a religion that follows 1 particular being or command that complete faith?
Their approach of Buddhism (as you mentioned) and Shintoism is already different as a society compared to like Buddhism of India where they ideally don't eat beef and don't even get me started on "Christian Weddings".

It's like making a comic book for Islam (hell, just the Denmark issue which I didn't think was too big a deal sparked riots I believe).
Or maybe that’s because I’ve been forced to grow up with Western media parodying various aspects of Christianity, that I need to develop ‘thick skin’ per se to not take total offence.
On the Islam side, it wouldn't go down to well to 'popular culture' it, but Japan (imo based on current generation) has this superficiality with their own religions that make me think that the manga/anime of a foreign religion is no more than 'just another story to tell and make money with'.
If they sincerely were trying to portray the reasons of why people can dedicate themselves to 1 Higher Being and why people sometimes wear and I paraphrase:
"A dead man on a cross"
(They have a point, I never thought of it that way before)
Then I'd have fewer issues with it.
If it was serialised on NHK for example as something informative and educational and was turned into animation, then I wouldn't be facepalming so much. It’d be a:
“Ah awesome, there’s this anime series on Jesus that’s actually really well done and educational too”.
In that sense, there is less concern of trivialising it in a country where it is rarely practiced, they're attempting to understand and respect it, but I really don't gain that sense with the manga above. :\
Rather, I'd be more interested to talk to natives who have read it and see what impression was left on them.
(If any, now that I think about it)

Religions do branch off and evolve, yes, but a good majority (points to America as an example) all kinda stem from the same basis and usually are branched from people who are practicing... but just happen to "not agree to a certain way of worshipping" and go off and branch their own.
At the end of the day, it's still the same God we believe in, hence I'm not particulary bugged bout it.
"You have your flavour and I have mine. We believe in the same Being? Ah good, then leave me be and don't try to convert me."
It isn't just a ritualised form of practicing a faith, there is the acutal spiritual belief in what you are practicing to, I think religion just gives it a sense of 'order' and 'structure' to it as a base.
I guess the Christian example of how I see how Japanese practice their own would be going to church on Christmas and Easter just because they're 'meant' to and they're very special days on the Christian calander, in a similar way of going to Hatsumode on New Years.
Whether they actually have faith in what they're praticing, is another whole matter entirely.

For most part in Japan, anime is just for kids and teenagers, the mindset is somewhat like Disney. While there are anime for all ages and genres, your average native just simply isn't aware of them. There are fans naturally into their 20's and 30's, but it's something you'd not admit out loud and keep your hobbies to your inner social circle.
(I’m learning this day by day over here)
Family shows like 'chibi mariko-san' grab attention of the entire family for Sunday evenings, otherwise most of the stuff we view and debate on Asuki gets aired from 10pm-5am slots.
It was amazing how many natives I was interacting with hadn't really heard of FMA back in 2005 when I was ranting and raving and getting so excited about the coming movie, then I began to realise for a show that was on at Saturday evening at 5pm, (generally considered prime time from a UK p.o.v, I guess) there really isn't much awareness for anime save actual anime fans themselves or kids.

Anyways, before I go off into another 5 page post, lol - will leave it there since it's the funny news thread. The post was amusing though, but I still face palmed and just thought 'yeeesh'.

“Japan and religion” is a topic I’ve been fascinated with for years and years, so analysing from an anthropological viewpoint on their own religions, let alone on them portraying Christianity, is kinda a sensitive/deeply interesting area for me to investigate into as the years pass by.
As controversial as it can be, it’s an amazing topic and source to see ‘why different humans, think, act, live’ certain ways around the globe.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-07-19 at 01:57.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 04:23   Link #2122
Saleh
Inactive

Police: Man reluctantly robs Utah snow cone stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
RIVERTON, Utah (AP) -- Investigators said an armed man seemed reluctant, but robbed a 16-year-old girl working at a snow cone stand anyway. Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Don Hutson said the man walked through the back door of the Snow Shack on Wednesday and showed that he had a gun.

Hutson said he then told the teen he didn't want to do it, but owed his brother $80 and ordered her to give him the money.

The girl handed over the money and the man ran away. Law enforcement officers are still looking for him.
An act of desperation?
Old 2009-07-19, 04:57   Link #2123
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

It's not passengers, but 'pawsengers' now...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8151011.stm

I'm just curious Americans, were PETA behind this in any shape or form, per chance?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-07-19, 05:19   Link #2124
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

I'm just curious Americans, were PETA behind this in any shape or form, per chance?
A good way to milk pet-crazed people of their money, I have to say, but it's just for domestic flights within the U.S.? You have pet quarantine regulations for animals entering a country for many places. Do those allow animals to be in the main cabin with humans?

Also, who deals with a situation where a pet... umm, mark his territory (or worse!) while in the cabin?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 05:37   Link #2125
Saleh
Inactive

Mystique@ It seems that a distressed millionaire was the only one involved in this case. Its a surprise that it didn't happen sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
A good way to milk pet-crazed people of their money, I have to say, but it's just for domestic flights within the U.S.? You have pet quarantine regulations for animals entering a country for many places. Do those allow animals to be in the main cabin with humans?

Also, who deals with a situation where a pet... umm, mark his territory (or worse!) while in the cabin?

This news report provides more clearer picture.
Old 2009-07-19, 07:23   Link #2126
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Usually if you want to fly somewhere with your pet, they treat it as baggage and put them wiht the rest of the luggage, in a compartment that's often extremely cold. It's not uncommon for airlines to lose pets, and there are numerous incidents of pets dying on planes because of it.

And no, PETA wouldn't be behind it, because once again it does make sense.
Old 2009-07-20, 04:34   Link #2127
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Usually if you want to fly somewhere with your pet, they treat it as baggage and put them wiht the rest of the luggage, in a compartment that's often extremely cold. It's not uncommon for airlines to lose pets, and there are numerous incidents of pets dying on planes because of it.

And no, PETA wouldn't be behind it, because once again it does make sense.
I mean they would be behind it to treat animals better and not like 'luggage' for reasons you just stated, which is the reason why I asked.
Animal rights and the rest, etc.

Old 2009-07-20, 09:09   Link #2128
Saleh
Inactive

The teenage ‘tycoon’ and his airline hoax

Spoiler for space:

Edit-

Man Stole More Than 1,000 Used Men's Underpants

Quote:
A German man caught trying to steal three pairs of men's underpants from a sports hall was found to have amassed more than 1,000 pairs in his home, police said.

The 56-year-old man was spotted stealing the underpants and managed to flee, but police managed to identify him and paid him a visit.

"During the search of his home more than 1,000 underpants and around 100 tracksuit trousers were found, washed and neatly piled up," police in the western town of Gelnhausen near Frankfurt said in a statement. "Now the 'pants lover' faces charges of theft and misappropriation."

The police could not immediately be reached for comment on what the man wanted the pants for.
Old 2009-07-20, 12:57   Link #2129
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...id=43897&tsp=1

"We are looking at tens of millions more mouths to feed, children to school and people to house in the countries that are least able to accommodate that," a UN spokesman said.
What solution did India's government come up with for this gargantuan problem? Birth control pills? Condoms? A one-child policy similar to China's? No, they hope to curb their population with televisions, according to a story in the London Times.

you can't make this stuff up
Old 2009-07-20, 13:38   Link #2130
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Buddhism goes moe

i have no words to describe this.
I'm in. (really, I wish more religions were this well-humored)
Old 2009-07-20, 14:13   Link #2131
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
That will be funny to read if I ever get bored. They need a Revelations version, would totally become something like JoJo's Bizzare adventure.
Oh, wow. So do we get to see some Stand vs. Stand action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am waiting for a gender-bender Islam series
Well that could pose a bit of problem since we know it's a big no-no to visually portray Muhammad and his relatives. But then again, this is Japan we're talking of.

I'm really looking forward to see any mangaka doing series about Saladin or Abu Nawas (yeah, the second one was random, I know). And for once, please, I want to see a BADASS Saladin, not the one shown in the animated movie trailer yeah, wishful thinking, I know

Quote:
Spoiler for lengthy content:
Interesting point.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 00:24   Link #2132
npcomplete

http://englishrussia.org/a-russian-w...timate-muscles (pics and video)

Quote:
A 42-year-old Russian woman has snatched the world’s strongest vagina crown after using her “intimate muscles” to lift a 14kg glass ball.
Quote:
Kozhevnikova added for the benefit of fellow females hoping to improve their grip: “It’s enough to exercise your vagina five minutes a day, ladies, and in just one week you’ll be able to give yourself and your man unforgettable pleasure in bed.”
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:25   Link #2133
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
W...T... F...?
All I gotta add is that she'd be one wild ride for a guy.
.... If any men were brave enough to try her I guess for not being afraid of being crushed? *snickers*

Old 2009-07-21, 08:12   Link #2134
escimo
Paparazzi

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...07995&type=Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy drank gasoline to copy his TV heroes
A 14-YEAR-OLD boy drank gasoline for five years to obtain "energy" - just as his idols "Bumble Bee" or "Optimus Prime" do in "Transformers," the Sichuan-based West China Metropolis Daily reported yesterday.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 09:48   Link #2135
Shadow Kira01

Nagoya Univ. produces world's 1st 'wingless' ladybird beetles

Quote:
The new ladybird could be used to efficiently get rid of harmful insects, such as ant cows, as the scope of their activities will be restricted because they are flightless, the researchers said.
I still think the most effective solution to pest-control would be having a cute lizard crawling around and eatting all the pests as opposed to some strange genetic engineering. I hope this wingless beetle project will turn into one of the new case files in the second season of Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo, if there is going to be one..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 11:25   Link #2136
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
which series did he watch? All the old stuff had them eating energon cubes.
Old 2009-07-22, 01:39   Link #2137
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Man bursts into flames after Taser shock
Quote:
Warbuton, Australia (July 21): A man in Western Australia was engulfed in flames when police officers fired a Taser stun gun at him.

Police say they used the Taser on Ronald Mitchell, 36, when he ran at them carrying a container of petrol and a cigarette lighter. They said that Mitchell, who lives in a remote Aboriginal community, had been sniffing petrol. They suggested the cigarette lighter started the fire.

Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan said Mitchell was a known violent offender, and defended the police officers' deployment of the Taser.

He told reporters: "The only other choice they would have had is to use a police-issue firearm, and the consequences would almost certainly have been far more grave."

He said the police internal affairs department would investigate the incident, saying there was "a very strong possibility that the fire was caused by the lighter in the hand of the offender".

Mitchell was charged with assault to prevent arrest and possession of a sniffing substance. He is in a critical condition in hospital with third-degree burns.

- BBC NEWS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 05:55   Link #2138
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
For those who are stupid compulsive smokers, now you know why you are not allowed to light up in a petrol station.

Also, it is time for policemen to reassess the usage of taser within range of volatile and flammable substances. An M1014 loaded with rubber rounds is a better idea.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 08:38   Link #2139
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I don't think they had much choice in that case though, considering he is supposed to have just come out of a building and ran at them holding those items.

But, the police say that "a very strong possibility that the fire was caused by the lighter in the hand of the offender". I guess they would claim that.

Admittedly, I have no idea if a taser can ignite petrol if it's electrodes are firmly dug into a person (they're quite nasty to try and get out).
Old 2009-07-23, 16:49   Link #2140
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Crybaby robber gets 'knuckle sandwich' from Subway worker
Quote:
HOUSTON – Police say a man walked into the Subway sandwich shop on West Little York and tried to rob it. But instead of getting the cash, the woman behind the counter served him a "knuckle sandwich." “When the register opened, he lunged over and grabbed it. My initial response was to hit him. So I hit him,” Subway employee Yava Matthews said.

Police say Tracy Armstead, 29, attempted to rob the sandwich shop on Monday night. When Matthews hit him, he fell back into the wall, but he still had the cash drawer in his hands.

“When he proceeded to run towards the front door, I jumped over the counter and then jumped on him,” Matthews said.

She says they ended up outside, but the fight was not over.

“We were out here tussling, tussling and tussling. A lot of people were standing around and I told them to give me something. Somebody brought me some handcuffs, so I got him and I handcuffed him,” Matthews said. Then someone handed her a Taser.

“I got the Taser in my hand and I am Tasing him and he says, ‘I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe.’ I said, ‘If you can talk to me, you can breathe. So be quiet before I Taser you again,’” Matthews said.

She says that Armstead, who is 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs 235 pounds, began to cry.

Seconds later, the police arrived.

“There were about 15 police cars and I was so excited to see them. When they came, they told me that I could get up now, and I said, ‘Are you sure? Are you positive about that?’” said Matthews.

Police are calling her a hero, but her customers are calling her Rambo.
Bwahahahaha~! Best part: ‘If you can talk to me, you can breathe. So be quiet before I Taser you again,’” lol, what a woman.

Tags
humor