AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-04, 21:59   Link #2301
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

While it's somewhat a plot whole, between Precia's original desire to make Fate an Alicia clone, and how Fate was not named after Alicia...Fate got her name from the name of the project used to make super soldier clones - Project F.

Or that's how it was, if I remember.
Old 2011-09-05, 02:49   Link #2302
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Actually there's no plot whole regarding that, you just have to watch the movie close, Precia made "Fate" as a clone out of Alicia, gave her Alicia's memories, if you look closely many times when Fate remembers tender moments with her mother Precia never calls her "Fate" but Alicia, thing which was a mystery for her to and show that her memory wasn't rewritten, so anyway like i said Precia made "Fate" as a clone out of Alicia implanted her memories into Fate but short after she made "Fate" she noticed that even if she went through all that trouble, Fate was different, first right after she made her and brought her to her room she noticed Fate was right handed (Alicia was left handed), then she noticed several other traits which where different from those of Alicia, like personality, high magic power etc., so Precia deemed Fate as a failure and she called her Fate afterwards, making Linith as a familiar to train her in the art of magic, so she can't use her to gather lost logia.

Last edited by delorean2200; 2011-09-05 at 03:02.
Old 2011-09-05, 03:29   Link #2303
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

But the thing is, if Precia ever called Fate, "Alicia" then Fate would be mighty confused by it. Fate remembers being called Alicia in her memories (which were technically Alicia's memories)... But she is still known as Fate in the series. And Precia was never shown calling Fate, "Alicia", in the flashbacks.
Old 2011-09-05, 07:13   Link #2304
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Actually Fate is confused by it, and Precia did call Fate "Alicia" at first, right after she made her, till she noticed that Fate was quite different from Alicia, if you want i can even tell you the scene and approximate time frame in the movie.
Old 2011-09-05, 08:39   Link #2305
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
It's a bit of a hole, because Precia did treat Fate like Alicia, and did call Fate "Alicia" several times. And from Fate's perspective, she just went to sleep and then woke up, so her memory should be that she was always called Alicia. Why she didn't question it earlier, as to why her mother started calling her something different, we'll never know.

I'll give the movie some minor props, because it addresses things slightly better. In the series, Fate has the sudden memory when she's fighting Nanoha, suddenly wondering why she has a memory of Precia calling her Alicia. As if that's the first time it's come up. In the movie, it's more like she has the memory(several of them), but it's indicated it's come up before, but Fate has just ignore them as unimportant.

It would make more logical sense if she had a memory of Precia saying Alicia's new name is Fate, and that's the beginning of the time Precia was cold to her. So part of Fate's struggle would be to have her mother call her Alicia again, because her memories tell her that her mother was kind to her when she had that name. It might not work so well as a thematic plot, but it would make more sense. The story could still keep that fact secret until her big fight with Nanoha.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:20   Link #2306
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aers View Post
So apparently the "Commentary" track that comes with the DVD/BD is actually an in-character commentary with Nanoha/Fate/Vivio & the forwards doing rotating commentary on what's going on in the movie.

There's a couple interesting things in there. Precia is confirmed to know no combat magic, and to have been using some sort of body enhancement magic. A mage's magic color is a reflection of their personality; Nanoha & Vivio's pink shows their straightforwardness and some other stuff.
I don't recall seeing this with the Sound Stage translations. Is it not yet translated?

Quote:
When Nanoha told the others Yuuno was her childhood friend & magic teacher, they were like "wait what, you weren't taught magic by some super strong mage?"
Assuming that they ever actually thought about the fact that Nanoha was once a rookie like themselves, I can see how they might have assumed Nanoha's training experience was like their's.

Namely, that a younger Nanoha was being ground into the dirt by someone as strong as she is today.

The reality surely would be disappointing, but I think Yuuno would still surprise them in a practice match. I'd love to see that.

But then, I'm seeing if I can't WRITE about that.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:27   Link #2307
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yea, like I said earlier this scene wasn't nearly as funny as the anime which Nanoha's like wutttttttttttt. Then she lives with it easily, even though she thinks Yuuno might have been a pervert earlier.
Huh?

Are you saying Movie Nanoha thinks Yuuno was a pervert? Because that never comes up in the original series, sound stages or manga.

Hell, she INVITES him to join a girls-only hot springs vacation... when they're teenagers. He has to be the one to tell her that wouldn't be appropriate.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:42   Link #2308
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

^Nope there's no hint in the movie of Nanoha thinking that Yunno was a pervert or something, the only difference is that she isn't as surprised as in the anime.

Edit: Also after rewatching A's and StrikerS i have a even more doubts about the movie 2nd and third, with A's they might just get it right at the limit (though just like the scene where Fate decides to start a new even if her mother rejected her combined with the song "take a shot" was better in the series i doubt that the scene where the Tome of the Sky Crew and Nanoha/TSA crew join forces and defeat the defense program with the song "brave phoenix"in the bg will be made just as well in the movie as in the anime), StrikerS will be even more difficult cause of the large cast and cause of the many events that one had....

Last edited by delorean2200; 2011-09-05 at 12:53.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:52   Link #2309
Sunder the Gold

^ Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaku96 View Post
random fact gained
nanoha is left handed
fate is right handed
Wonder why they went through the trouble of making that obvious.
So when they stand face-to-face, and they reach out towards each other...

They'll each be using the wrong hand. And then one of them will quickly have to switch to her off-hand.

I wonder if Yuuno is ambidextrous. It wouldn't surprise me.
Old 2011-09-05, 13:00   Link #2310
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

In Fate's case like i mentioned above is more important, it was another sign that even though she had Alicia's memories and made based on clone tech she still wasn't the same cause Alicia was left handed and like you say Fate is right handed.

PS: offtopic random thought, i should've looked around here aeons ago nanoha is my favorite series (with Nanoha being my favorite character) nice to have a place to talk about it .
Old 2011-09-05, 13:06   Link #2311
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Makes more sense this way, since Raising Heart is a machine and thus would have pre set modes already. Imagining her own modes would work for a more traditional magic girl show but Nanoha leans more to the tech side of things. Raising Heart as a device is meant to be a long range weapon, so of course it has default settings to that effect.
Plus, no other Device in the series has demonstrated the ability to instantaneously create new forms.

If those designs were loaded in, then RH theoretically has a variety of designs to choose from. AND it's a radical shapeshifter rather than a simple mode-changer.

No, it probably always had the Staff and Shooting forms, and it was probably Mari who added Excellion Mode, just as she presumably added Zanber Form to Bardiche.

Quote:
And we know Yuuno couldn't use it probably because he isn't suited for such settings, and he had difficulty adapting to Earth's mana. Nanoha, as an Earth native, wouldn't have that issue.
Interesting thought: Maybe EVERYONE has trouble adjusting to the mana of strange planets, at first?

During Chrono's first appearances, he spent most of his time on the Arthra, and by A's he'd already had some exposure to Earth.

Yuuno's early exposure coincided with him up getting him seriously injured and depleted. That wouldn't help ANYONE adapt.

Alternatively, maybe rather than some random incompatibility, Yuuno might be someone who naturally has trouble adapting to the mana of new planets. Sort of like an unfortunate weakness to pollens, or an allergy to corn.
Old 2011-09-05, 15:45   Link #2312
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

There is no planet compatibility issues and Chrono of course that he stayed Arthra more, that was his base of operation, he let Nanoha handle the jewel seed search. Also the main reason why the theory is no good is because both the knights and Nanoha plus Fate traveled in A's to different planets fighting and it showed no problem or affection towards there abilities.

As for Yuuno its simple, he explains it himself, is only good at support magic, he can't do attack, that's the reason why he got beaten in S1, same as Shamal in a way, when it comes to support she's number one when it comes to offense though...

Edit: Regarding the devices, they can request upgrades but they cannot operate above specs and auto upgrade, the Cartridge System upgrade and as side effect the Excelion Mode and Zanber Mode where requested by the devices (since this mods take full advantage of the cartridge system), but they need to be implemented by a proper staff or scientist (Mary being at least one of the staff of the ones that implemented it into them at that time i think), Mach Caliber did the same, it requested a change of specs, but it couldn't adjust and do this by itself someone (in that case it was Shario) needed to implement it. So the basic idea is this: Intelligent devices are able to some extent to calculate and come up with mods that would benefit there master, but they themselves cannot implement the changes, a staff/device scientist is needed for that. As a side note, Mach Caliber is the only device i ever seen taking actions on its own.

Last edited by delorean2200; 2011-09-05 at 16:19.
Old 2011-09-05, 18:13   Link #2313
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean2200 View Post
There is no planet compatibility issues and Chrono of course that he stayed Arthra more, that was his base of operation, he let Nanoha handle the jewel seed search. Also the main reason why the theory is no good is because both the knights and Nanoha plus Fate traveled in A's to different planets fighting and it showed no problem or affection towards there abilities.
Agreed. There was NEVER any mention of "the mana on this planet is screwing with my ability to use magic" by ANYONE in ANY media ever!

If Yuuno mentioned it in the Movie sound stages or something, I'm just calling that a cop-out on the part of the writers. (Much like the whole movie was anyway.)

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2011-09-05, 19:44   Link #2314
Sunder the Gold

I agree that nothing anywhere ever mentioned this "mana incompatibility" idea, and it seems like some kind of cop-out (and one they didn't even NEED, which is worse).

But I'm saying that it's not actually a terrible idea, in and of itself, assuming that it's just a problem that people have to adjust to, like adjusting to the thinner air of a higher elevation than one is used to.

As for Yuuno and Raising Heart, I figure that reciting the contract is not enough. The Device has to ACCEPT the contract.

And I imagine that Raising Heart is able to get a strong "feel" for the prospective master's potential when they attempt to contract with it. I also imagine that everyone in Yuuno's clan tried their hand at the Device and failed. None of them had the right talents, mindset, power level, what-have-you.

Yuuno was amazed that such a stubborn Device only required Nanoha to speak the contract ONCE. He didn't realize that it had fully recognized her as its master, after rejecting so many others.
Old 2011-09-06, 00:43   Link #2315
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Actually just cause Yuuno isn't good at attack magic it doesn't mean all of the Scrya clan all are, plus Yuuno was adopted his not from the tribe, that's even more reason why you can't use him as a way to figure out the magic capabilities of the clan. Also Yuuno was the previous owner of Raising Heart (though was registered just as guest), if you look closely he used it against the jewel seed monster that left him wounded (but it doesn't seem that he could bring fort more then just stand by mode), its just that he wasn't able to bring fort its potential since he couldn't do attack magic properly. And regarding my previous comment about Mach Caliber being the only device that ever did independent action, i just remember that Raising Heart and Bardiche also did independent actions, though not as extensive as Mach Caliber, Raising Heart when it pulled out a jewel seed on its own to save Nanoha and Bardiche who got in sealing form without fate ordering it.
Old 2011-09-06, 00:49   Link #2316
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Pretty simple.

Precia creates Fate, and deems her inferior. At whatever point, she just sees her as a stopgap between her and resurrecting Alicia. So Precia no longer gives a fuck about her or her memories, and doesn't bother with editing. Or maybe they can't edit, or memories aren't perfect, as seen later on when Fate starts getting confusing.

Tl;DR Precia wants Alicia and doesn't care about anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Huh?

Are you saying Movie Nanoha thinks Yuuno was a pervert? Because that never comes up in the original series, sound stages or manga.

Hell, she INVITES him to join a girls-only hot springs vacation... when they're teenagers. He has to be the one to tell her that wouldn't be appropriate.
No, I just thought it was funny how Nanoha freaked out temporarily in the series. It's only natural for her to think about it for a second, though she ceases giving a shit afterwards.

My point is that she didn't really have that much of a reaction in the movie, aside from anything else.

But uhh... I think it was a joke, maybe not a very good one. Hard to remember when you're replying to 9 month old posts. :/

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-09-06 at 01:22.
Old 2011-09-06, 07:33   Link #2317
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aers
There's a couple interesting things in there. Precia is confirmed to know no combat magic, and to have been using some sort of body enhancement magic
I must have missed this. How can they say that on the track when Precia kicks the ass of all those Enforcers? I was under the impression that Fate (and Alicia) got their lightning magic from her.
Old 2011-09-06, 09:05   Link #2318
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Something is wrong cause she used like you said a wide range attack spell on the Enforces, Photon Bullet on Arf, Photon Burst to decimate Arf (luckly it missed) and not to mention her cross dimensional Thunder Rage attack... btw Precia is a SS ranked mage.
Old 2011-09-06, 15:37   Link #2319
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The lightning was obviously made for deep frying things, not combat.

No really, I have no idea.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-06, 16:01   Link #2320
Sunder the Gold

It would make more sense to say that while Precia knew body-enhance and attack spells, she had no combat SKILLS.
Closed Thread