AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 26 12.15%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.87%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-08, 16:17   Link #61
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
As a non LN reader, I was very surprised when Kirito grew his hand back out. The scene felt very dramatic when he sacrificed himself for Asuna and I though "Oh damn, no more dual wield for you" but then they didn't mention it again and back at the house everything was fine (!?).
I've seen cuts and the sort heal but never something as big as a hand.
I would like to point to the debuff symbol that appeared next to his bar right when he lost his hand (debuffs have durations!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Heathcliff, Heathcliff, no one should
terrorize his neighborhood
well Heathcliff just won't be undone
playing tricks on everyone...
http://youtu.be/JxCInOkn6OU ? xD awesome show brings back memories
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:18   Link #62
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkard View Post
Funny thing is, if Asuna was a bit less stalkerish, things would've ended up terribly.
Not stalkerish at all imo, she said all she did was watch him on the map. Hell, I do that for random ass people I'm playing Phantasy Star with. And if one person disappears like she said that guy did, then you know something is wrong.
Old 2012-09-08, 16:19   Link #63
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
Spoiler for Episode 10, Comparison to the novels:
I didn't mind how they paced the duel. The duel victory display says it lasted 1 min 31 secs and the actual animation time was almost exactly that. This isn't bleach, dragon ball z or saint seiya where 5 min means 50 episodes later.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:22   Link #64
Algent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I was more surprised by the fact that the hand came off... limb dismemberment is typically a feature reserved for truly hardcore games, not the kind of general demographic that SAO seems to be targeting.

But since it's a game, there's got to be some healing mechanic to restore lost limbs - no one wants to play a cripple permanently. Except maybe hardcore roleplayers.
We can see some sort of dot/bleed status icon appear when he loose the hand. It's probably just that but with some graphical bonus
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:25   Link #65
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
http://youtu.be/JxCInOkn6OU ? xD awesome show brings back memories
Yep =03. Don't hear the name Heathcliff too often. Man, those were the days. And to stay on topic, that lyric referred to his...unusual victory. The first two lines refer to Kirito trying to "take away" Asuna. The last two lines refer to Kirito nearly getting him, and Heathcliff using "a prank" to prevent himself from being "undone". Get it?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:25   Link #66
Mephos

Spoiler for Comparison to the Novel:
Mephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:27   Link #67
Methuselah
Payback is a b*t#8, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92_bowNKcM

Did all of that happen in this episode? Kirito's sword didn't break.
Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:27   Link #68
Awrya
U mad?

If losses are permanent, I imagine there would be far less front liners than there are now. Imagine losing one leg, it'd basically be game over for you in SAO.

Towns in games are generally places where you can rest, I imagine entering one cures you of all de-buffs you current have and slowly regenerates health until max HP (limbs included).
Old 2012-09-08, 16:35   Link #69
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

this figth scene was probably the best directed in my opinion, i was surprised by the events that took place this episode.

i have a question, iv'e only readed the famouus(or infamous) chapter 16 of the novel, so i wanted to ask if what have been adapted have been material from the first novel only, not details just yes or no, im aware this migth be better go in the Q&A but those can be very spoiler-ish.
Old 2012-09-08, 16:36   Link #70
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Heathcliff, Heathcliff, no one should
terrorize his neighborhood
well Heathcliff just won't be undone
playing tricks on everyone...

Kudos if you get the picture of what the above means =03.
Yeah, I can't help but think of that when I see his name. Sadly, that's apparently not the source of the name, as according to the second doujin the author put out with early character design notes:

Spoiler for SAO: ME2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
this figth scene was probably the best directed in my opinion, i was surprised by the events that took place this episode.

i have a question, iv'e only readed the famouus(or infamous) chapter 16 of the novel, so i wanted to ask if what have been adapted have been material from the first novel only, not details just yes or no, im aware this migth be better go in the Q&A but those can be very spoiler-ish.
Everything they adapted this episode, was only from the first light novel.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 16:55   Link #71
Bombo
TSF Fans

This episode yummy yummy 10/10 .
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:01   Link #72
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
the episode ending was pretty nice. Kirito asking Asuna to get married. I thought when Kirito lost his hand it was perminant and that he would never be able to use duel wield again. Was that incarnate system or something when Kirito used his hand to kill that dude?
Old 2012-09-08, 17:06   Link #73
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
Was that incarnate system or something when Kirito used his hand to kill that dude?
Incarnate would be a totally different show.

It's an unarmed skill... Kirito punched the guy with a hand to hand weapon skill.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:06   Link #74
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
Was that incarnate system or something when Kirito used his hand to kill that dude?
Pretty sure it was just an unarmed Sword Skill. Kuradeel was already in critical from Asuna, so even a small amount of damage was enough to finish him off. Asuna's fist also glowed when she punched Kirito later in the episode...
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:16   Link #75
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Already four pages? Man, am i late.

Damn you internet, i knew the outcome of the battle already. But, it was cool. Except for the part where Heatcliff uses his "mojo" to kick Kirito's ass. So i guess that other thing i read ...

In the end, Kirito didn't have such a hard time. He joined a guild, but he admitted that it was a good move. And he gets Asuna. Not win-win, but surely positive.

Detailed those avatars, aren't they? I mean, they use underwear and stuff. I'm sure Kirito didn't strip because he goes commando under all that black. I mean, you don't need underwear in the virtual world, do you? Does it have a armor bonus? Victorias Secret +1 armor? Calvin Klein, + 1 against Paralisys?

But, if Heathcliff is such a good judge of character, how come he didn't knew about Kuradeel? Or it was a deeper ploy? Sadly, i sensed the whole "i am from the laughling coffin" as soon as the paralisys went in to play. It gives the whole thing in episode 8-9 a new meaning. In the end, Kirito protecting Asuna was the best.

[Mod edit: removed spoiler/hint/speculation]
EnOfEridu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:21   Link #76
SABER60069

Paralyze needs to get nerfed badly
SABER60069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:23   Link #77
Esebian

Nicely done episode and adaptation bed-scene between Kirito and Asuna was just like imagined after reading it.

Actually I was like wth as his hand came of, totally wasn't expecting that.

The duel was quite good and also not too long (imagine, a normal duel in a MMORPG doesn't take more than 2 mins normally and they go till death).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methuselah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92_bowNKcM

Did all of that happen in this episode? Kirito's sword didn't break.
His sword didn't break there either, if you mean the scene from 0:27 onwards the sword there isn't broken that looks like that just because of the weird camera angle, so to be more realistic like in real-life the sword seems to be shorter, although they did this a bit too much, so I can see from where you're coming.

[Mod edit: no spoilers/hints]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-08 at 17:39.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:33   Link #78
j4c06

When Kirito's arm got cut off I thought he lost it forever for a moment there. Luckily he did not.

Shouldn't it be impossible to attack your own guildmate though?

Also, Asuna could see them on the map, but they could not summon help? Is that normal?

And, they are enjoying their time off in the end, but aren't they in a fishy situation, two guys are dead, no witnesses, and both Kirito and Asuna are known to be hostile to one of them. Time for some interrogation instead of this lovey dovey stuff
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:43   Link #79
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Shouldn't it be impossible to attack your own guildmate though?

Also, Asuna could see them on the map, but they could not summon help? Is that normal?

And, they are enjoying their time off in the end, but aren't they in a fishy situation, two guys are dead, no witnesses, and both Kirito and Asuna are known to be hostile to one of them. Time for some interrogation instead of this lovey dovey stuff
Why would it be impossible to attack your guildmate? Never heard of a rule like that.

How would they summon help? And who else would be able to get there in time? They were saved by the fact that Asuna was stalking Kirito.

They aren't in a fishy situation at all, because they both still have green cursors (self defense). So everyone would naturally believe their stories. Game mechanics are more infallible than any court of law. Not to mention the fact that Kuradeel was a known creep. People didn't know quite how crazy he was, but it's understandable.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:44   Link #80
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Who would they call? I don't think there's any way to randomly teleport to a spot in a dungeon. Besides in a crisis I think she just wanted to get there before it was too late. No time to explain.