AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-02-24, 11:29   Link #1
Buckie06

Sharing a Hard Drive over a router

So i have a Linksys router that I have both PC's and a mac connected to. I just got a new external harddrive and i'm wondering if there is a way to access that hard drive from all of the computers on the router. I have sharing on so that I can access other computer hard drives, but i can;t seem to find a way to access the external.

Any help would be great. thanks!
Buckie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 11:46   Link #2
martino
makes no files now

Open up My Computer -> Right-click on the external HDD that you want to share -> Select Sharing and Security -> If there is some text in blue, like a link then click on it; if not then -> Check Share this folder on the network and give it a name -> Apply and now it should work...

In order to share this external HDD, the computer on which it is connected has to be turned on and plugged into the network. Note sure about the Mac system though. :/

If you are using the Windows Firewall then make sure that you have File and Printer Sharing checked in the Exceptions tab for the connection that you are using.

Hopefully this will help in some way...
Old 2007-02-24, 14:58   Link #3
Buckie06

I see, thank you very much. I got the PC's running, but I can't figure the mac if anyone else knows OSX.

Also, is there a way to password protect the hard drive? there's certain people on the router i don't want accessing it, but others that i want to be able to access/copy files etc.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 2007-02-24, 16:49   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If you want to see your Mac in a Windows Network or the Windows Network on a Mac (or it's resources) you'll need something that supports SMB/CIFS protocols (e.g. Samba).
Old 2007-02-26, 17:29   Link #5
Jeromie

Quote:
Also, is there a way to password protect the hard drive? there's certain people on the router i don't want accessing it, but others that i want to be able to access/copy files etc.
Here's a way to setup permissions in Windows XP. Linky
Jeromie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 22:24   Link #6
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckie06 View Post
I got the PC's running, but I can't figure the mac if anyone else knows OSX.
If the external hdd is connected to one of the Macs, use http://hornware.com/sharepoints/ to share the drive. Alternatively, you could edit the /etc/smb.conf file to create a share.

If the external hdd is connected to a Windows box, on the Mac, in the Finder, hit command-K, or go to the Go menu and then select "Connect to Server." Once that dialog box comes up, type "cifs://computername(or ip address)/sharename" It may ask you to authenticate.

If you're lucky you may be able to connect to the windows box by using the network link in a finder window. That doesn't seem to work for me all the time though.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 13:22   Link #7
Buckie06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromie View Post
Here's a way to setup permissions in Windows XP. Linky
When i right click on the hard drive and go to properties, i do not have the security tab like the link says, can anyone help me with this?
Old 2007-02-28, 18:08   Link #8
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

This says you need to reboot in safe mode to configure permissions in Windows XP Home Edition.
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 03:07   Link #9
Nergol

The best solution, if you have a little money, is to buy a "Slug", i.e. a Linksys NSLU-2. It's designed to connect drives onto a network with no fuss, and, if you like to tinker, there are bunches of hacks and upgrades to it out there made possible by the fact that the Slug runs a stripped-down version of Linux as its OS.

Trust me - the Slug is the way to go.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote