Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-09, 13:09   Link #981
Hakuryu
Klutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Has anyone else had problems with the AFK episode 10? Wouldn't play in Quicktime or even VLC. Or did I just have a problem file?
I'm using Total Video Player and it's working fine.
Old 2007-12-09, 17:06   Link #982
Falkor

I just watched afk version of episode 10 and I’m surprised they translated almost everything, including the background in the opening sequence. I now understand why they took so long since episode 10 was a hell of text all over the place.
Thank you for the amazing work.

Spoiler for Random Thoughts for episode 10:

The best part of the episode was definitely Chiri’s joke. I couldn’t stop laughing for more than a minute.
“This is where the contest parts!!”

I cannot find words to describe this episode. There was social satire here and there, but the sexual innuendo behind the “preview gags” was really overwhelming, dark comedy at its best.

“High schoolers these days skip the preview and go straight to the real thing.” –Nozomu, Itoshiki

The Path towards the female body.
Anime --> Figure --> Big Figures --> Love Dolls --> Female Body.

This last one and the “preview of p*** websites” hit me really hard in the face.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 19:45   Link #983
CrazyPerson

Wow, I can almost forgive AFK for taking so long to release this episodes. As said before, translating all that text must have taken forever. Hell, they translated text that flashed on the screen for less than a quarter of a second. I had to resort to playing the video at a quarter of the normal playing speed AND pausing the video in order to catch it. Normally I only need to do one of those things to catch the stuff.

(I say almost because they released Clannad eps in between. Which makes me sad, because Clannad isn't as demanded as SZS.)

I loved how the minimum cultural standards thing was simply there to take a jab at everything the author thinks is bad. And the path to the female body: genius!
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 20:14   Link #984
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Yup, a.f.k does a great job as usual. It actually requires sleep for me to watch SZS. When I'm sleep deprived, slow reflexes actually prevent me from getting most of those 10-20 frame flashes with pausing.

Definitely some well-deserved props to the fansubbers.
Old 2007-12-09, 22:44   Link #985
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Yup, a.f.k does a great job as usual. It actually requires sleep for me to watch SZS. When I'm sleep deprived, slow reflexes actually prevent me from getting most of those 10-20 frame flashes with pausing.

Definitely some well-deserved props to the fansubbers.
oh man i tried catching the split messages in the new opening but i gave up after awhile
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 00:54   Link #986
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

a.f.k. seems to have done a really excellent job on this series given the complexity --- since I tend to give them a hard time about localization choices just that I should say that. To channel Konata: "Good Job!"
Old 2007-12-10, 12:13   Link #987
Mentorian
Matsuri

Yeah, AFK always does an excellent job translating SZS.

This just came to my mind. Does anyone know whether Meru-chan's e-mail works or anyone had tried to send message to this address in 2ch? It was hazukashigariyasan@dacam... (probably @dacamo.co.jp). Knowing the effect of God's phone number in "Bruce Almighty," I will be surprised if nobody has ever tried to contact Meru, unless everyone fears the abuses (from Meru). The e-mail address was the same in both anime and manga.
Mentorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 22:39   Link #988
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

So this is why they've taken so long with the episode ...

Much appreciated, a.f.k
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 02:03   Link #989
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Just want to comment on ep 10...

The minimum level of fashion at 9:42 was about the starting-equipment in DragonQuest. Pot-lid is the weakest shield, and cyprus stick is the weakest weapon in the game.
Old 2007-12-11, 13:57   Link #990
NaweG
Just some guy

So as not to make the excellent work of AFK go to waste, can anyone post all the jokes/comments from the OP? I've tried slowing down to catch them, and still seemed to miss some or all of most of them...

TIA!
Old 2007-12-11, 17:28   Link #991
bitmapchaos

I have too much time on my hands. (Also, it's not really all of the jokes/comments, but most of this is the stuff that passes by after like 5 frames so it's much easier to catch the other stuff) Warning: I have no knowledge of Japanese at all (I just enjoy the pretty pictures), so the romanized text may be inaccurately typed up, and there are also letters/words omitted where characters blocked it (noted by hyphens), although I tried to fill in some letters.

Spoiler for Second OP text, thanks to a.f.k.:
Finally, an application for subtitling software: reading text for SZS. Corrections/fill-ins for romaji are very much appreciated.
bitmapchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 11:28   Link #992
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoron View Post
I have too much time on my hands.
And those of us who don't, salute you! Of course, I do need to remember that subtitles can be easily extracted from MKV files... silly me

Thanks again!
Old 2007-12-12, 15:00   Link #993
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

lol, those lines are awesome

glad to finally read the translations of the second (or third) opening
Red Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 16:18   Link #994
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizekel View Post
Random avatar I made from EP 8. <.<

Spoiler for Valizougon kick!:
i know this was ages ago, but i just wanted to call this if i could =P
a hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 23:25   Link #995
Midonin
Last Engage

The final episode has been softsubbed. Which means, in some form or another, I've been able to see the whole first season. Because really, season 2 is right around the corner.

Both of the final episode's segments were completely warped in that style that only this show can pull off. The last one in particular. So many shows tell you to "not judge people by how they look." Even if that person has conked you over the head with a brick.

Despite the slot machine at the end not landing on "Second Season", that is not the case, as we know. I'm ready for more of this - it's a good kind of twisted.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 06:26   Link #996
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I couldn't stop laughing at the appearance of Abe-san.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 14:34   Link #997
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
The best part of the episode was definitely Chiri’s joke. I couldn’t stop laughing for more than a minute.
“This is where the contest parts!!”
I must be humor impaired, I don't get it.

Can anyone explain.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 22:53   Link #998
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Man, that was an amazingly vague finale. Loved it.

Bring on season 2!
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 19:05   Link #999
mAcOdIn

Just a heads up for people still waiting for subs, a.f.k. has episode 11 up now so enjoy.

As for Chiri's joke, I didn't find it hilarious, so I don't think it works for everyone.
mAcOdIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 19:37   Link #1000
Falkor

One more episode to go before the second season airing this week(?). I'm amazed at the wonderful work a.f.k. is doing with this anime, but it's a a bit frustrating they are not going to sub the oncoming season.

Spoiler for Random Thoughts for episode 11:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt
I must be humor impaired, I don't get it.

Can anyone explain.
I think Chiri was trying to make a lame joke and it didn't really matter what she actually said, but the way she was trying to express it--which was hilarious. It was really funny because the joke involved the most peculiar trait Chiri is characterized for--her straight hair--and she didn't realize the joke was making fun of herself in a really suggestive manner.

Anyway, humor in this anime is very subjective. Some people like it while some others find Shinbo's approach to be unappealing. It's a matter of acquired taste since I have always enjoyed Shinbo/Shaft's wackiness even if they go overboard sometimes.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shaft