AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-09, 17:45   Link #161
marvelB

^I haven't disregarded your posts at all. Yes, Usopp is a fraidy-cat, but like I already said, he's had a lot of growth throughout the series. In earlier storylines he was more liable to run away from a fight, but that hasn't really been the case in the more recent adventures. He stood his ground and fought alongside his crew, despite overwhelming odds. Was he still scared? Yes, he was. But hey, that's just a part of his character, whether anyone accepts it or not. The fact that he is a bit of a wuss actually makes Usopp a more realistic (and therefore, more engaging) character than most of the Straw-Hats IMO, but again, some people just don't want to see things that way, I guess......

As for him being comedy relief..... well sure, he's goofy. But half of the crew is made up of goofballs anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me (I love some of the facial expressions he makes, though! ). But... eh, whatever. That's all I really have to say, since I don't like getting into any big debates about why "X character is better/worse than Y character", so I'll drop the subject now. BTW, I wasn't forcing my opinions on anyone or anything, but just giving a little food for thought, you know?

Anyway, going back on topic, I'm definitely interested in seeing what Garp is going to do now that Luffy's arrived at Marineford. I still think it's quite possible that he'll rebel against Sengoku, but I guess I can't rule out the possiblilty of him attempting to stop Luffy, either. Well, the next chapter's spoiler is apparently coming out early next week, so we probably won't be waiting too much longer......
Old 2009-09-09, 18:57   Link #162
Rainbowman

Has anyone heard about the cover for One Piece vol. 55? Just saw it on Anime News Network.
Old 2009-09-09, 19:29   Link #163
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I think there is a good chance that he might not be the strongest man in the world...Were basing this on his title in the anime. I think someone like Dragon could easily be stronger, but not be recognized because he hasn't shown his ability yet.

For example, i think Blackbeard could easily be as strong/stronger than whitebeard but since he has a less famous name, and hasn't done as many feats or been around as long as whitebeard no one thinks of him in the same category. Not to mention Whitebeard being the strongest man was probably a statement made when Roger died and he took the throne. I doubt he's seen any real action besides Marineford in a long time.
Until proven otherwise, Whitebeard is the strongest man in the world (this was explicitly stated in both the manga and anime). It's as simple as that. He is the absolute best and greatest there is, for he is the only person to have ever tied Pirate King Gold Roger to a fight. Not only that, but he has the power to destroy the world, which is something that has not been said about anyone else so far. Don't get me wrong, it's only a matter of time until he is dethroned and surpassed, but until then, we have to go by what's been stated by Oda. Whitebeard is the ruler of the seas. This cannot be disputed at the moment.
Old 2009-09-09, 19:30   Link #164
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Until proven otherwise, Whitebeard is the strongest man in the world (this was explicitly stated in both the manga and anime). It's as simple as that. He is the absolute best and greatest there is, for he is the only person to have ever tied Pirate King Gold Roger to a fight. Not only that, but he has the power to destroy the world, which is something that has not been said about anyone else so far. Don't get me wrong, it's only a matter of time until he is dethroned and surpassed, but until then, we have to go by what's been stated by Oda. Whitebeard is the ruler of the seas. This cannot be disputed at the moment.
Didn't garp tie roger a lot as well? I just rewatched some episodes, and it actually states that in text so i guess it's not arguable. I still have a problem believing that Dragon/Shanks/Sengoku aren't close/equal/above him in strength, but that is just wishful thinking most likely.
Old 2009-09-09, 19:35   Link #165
ThoHell

Quote:
I'm not sure if you should take everything is stated in a literal sense or not, but I don't really care so I won't bother with that. However, there are other character and players in the One Piece world who care nothing about strength, title, or becoming the pirate king who are extremely power and are completely mysterious -- Dragon. So far, there has been next to nothing involving Dragon, but soon he'll come and we will learn a whole lot more. his and along with WTF Blackbeard is up to. The plot to One Piece has more depth than a lot expect...
Old 2009-09-09, 19:56   Link #166
Tsukishirou

(o_o)!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Chapter 557!!!!!! NOW!!

This chapter was way too awesome, I was even sweating it cause I thought it would all boring/about Coby and then Luffy falls from the sky, way too awesome!
Old 2009-09-09, 20:11   Link #167
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Didn't garp tie roger a lot as well?
All we know is that Garp cornered and fought Roger to the death many times. That doesn't mean they were equals; and if he was on Roger's level, we would have been told so by now. Whitebeard is the only person mentioned to have stalemated Roger.

Quote:
I still have a problem believing that Dragon/Shanks/Sengoku aren't close/equal/above him in strength, but that is just wishful thinking most likely.
Well, even if they are weaker, the difference can't be by much.

Dragon is definitely going to be in the top tier. That just goes without saying, really. He is the world's most wanted man, which means he most likely has the highest bounty in the One Piece universe. He is the leader of the revolutionaries who are in direct contention with the World Government. He is the father of our protagonist Monkey D. Luffy. All of these things make him one extremely formidable adversary.

Shanks is one of the four emperors. We know that the four emperors are the four strongest/greatest and most influential pirates residing in the New World, so that fact serves as some kind of indication that they're all relatively around the same level. Whitebeard just edges them out by a little for the reasons I already mentioned.

Then we have Sengoku who is the fleet admiral of the marines. Whitebeard commented that he is one of the few people that truly knew the seas back during Roger's era. Getting respect and reverence from Whitebeard certainly merits Sengoku as being truly extraordinary.
Old 2009-09-09, 20:17   Link #168
ThoHell

Just wondering, what who are all of the 4 emperors of the sea? I only know of 3 and I can only find images with references to 3 not 4. Or is one of those emperor actually an empress?
Old 2009-09-09, 20:18   Link #169
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
Just wondering, what who are all of the 4 emperors of the sea? I only know of 3 and I can only find images with references to 3 not 4. Or is one of those emperor actually an empress?
1. Whitebeard
2. Shanks
3. Kaidou
4. Unknown
Old 2009-09-09, 20:23   Link #170
ThoHell

Quote:
1. Whitebeard
2. Shanks
3. Kaidou
4. Unknown
Yeah I knew the 3 listed, it's that 4th one I don't know. But it's my fault for not mentioning the ones I knew. Is the 4th one some big secret or something?
Old 2009-09-09, 20:36   Link #171
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Yeah I knew the 3 listed, it's that 4th one I don't know. But it's my fault for not mentioning the ones I knew. Is the 4th one some big secret or something?
It's not a secret, he just hasn't been revealed yet. Heck we haven't even seen Kaidou yet.

The closest thing we have are 2 silouettes of them shown in one of the chapters, though I forget which one specificlly.
Old 2009-09-09, 20:36   Link #172
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
We have absolutely no idea who the 4th emperor is right now. I'm sure that mystery will be unveiled to us in due time. Perhaps in the aftermath of this war, we'll see what the 4th emperor's thoughts are after Whitebeard's death has shaken the entire world.
Old 2009-09-09, 21:44   Link #173
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
I wonder though Blackbeard D. Kuma you hit on the head, White Beared has acknowledged Sengoku, so i believe we can expect something more out of him than what we've seen.
Old 2009-09-10, 06:10   Link #174
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
All we know is that Garp cornered and fought Roger to the death many times. That doesn't mean they were equals; and if he was on Roger's level, we would have been told so by now. Whitebeard is the only person mentioned to have stalemated Roger.
I think Garp is somewhat Roger's equal, Roger said that they nearly killed each other numerous times. Not I nearly killed "you", he said, "we" nearly killed each other. So, in my opinions, they are equals (somewhat).

Quote:
Didn't garp tie roger a lot as well? I just rewatched some episodes, and it actually states that in text so i guess it's not arguable. I still have a problem believing that Dragon/Shanks/Sengoku aren't close/equal/above him in strength, but that is just wishful thinking most likely.
It doesn't matter if people want to except it or not. Fact is, its stated in the manga. Oda has shown that he isn't like certain "other" mangaka's and have someone say they are the strongest, then pop another stronger character out of nowhere.

It was stated clearly that Whitebeard is the Strongest Man in the World, and even Garp referred to him as the "King of the Seas" when he was talking to Ace in Impel Down. Even Sengoku, strong or not strong, is shook from his strength. The other Yonkou are strong, there's no doubt it about that, but its a reason why Whitebeard was named the strongest. And he proved it by causing 2 tsunami's that would have wiped out nearly all of the marine's fighting force (DF users), but luckily the World Government has Aokiji. Otherwise, with just one move, Whitebeard would have defeated the World Government. You telling me other Yonkou's have the capacity to do that? I don't think so.

Besides Whitebeard is also a special character to Oda, being as though he modeled him after an old man he admired (or liked or something), that had passed away.
Old 2009-09-10, 17:23   Link #175
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
Besides Whitebeard is also a special character to Oda, being as though he modeled him after an old man he admired (or liked or something), that had passed away.

Yeah, Whitebeard's based on an old bartender that Oda knew who had roughly the same personality (and even the life support equipment!). I forget the specific source that info came from, though. I just know it was one of those special books that was released a few years back for the series' 10th anniversary......

Anyways, back to the Yonkou, I still have a feeling that Kaidou will make a special appearance at some point during the war. The fact that he tried to get the jump on Whitebeard before he made it to Marineford is already enough indication for me that he'll show up there in order to finish the job.......
Old 2009-09-10, 17:39   Link #176
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, Whitebeard's based on an old bartender that Oda knew who had roughly the same personality (and even the life support equipment!). I forget the specific source that info came from, though. I just know it was one of those special books that was released a few years back for the series' 10th anniversary......

Anyways, back to the Yonkou, I still have a feeling that Kaidou will make a special appearance at some point during the war. The fact that he tried to get the jump on Whitebeard before he made it to Marineford is already enough indication for me that he'll show up there in order to finish the job.......
Isn't Kaidou currently fighting with Shanks right now? There is a lot more going on than just Whitebeard vs the Marines.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:07   Link #177
marvelB

^All we know is that Shanks intercepted Kaidou's sneak attack on Whitebeard, and that's it. Whether or not they had any prolonged battle is still unknown, though I kinda doubt it (having two emperors warring against each other would only further screw up the world's balance, would it not?)......
Old 2009-09-10, 18:18   Link #178
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^All we know is that Shanks intercepted Kaidou's sneak attack on Whitebeard, and that's it. Whether or not they had any prolonged battle is still unknown, though I kinda doubt it (having two emperors warring against each other would only further screw up the world's balance, would it not?)......
Well I have actually started to think that the world balance WG is so proudly trying to preserve is nothing but a misrepresentation of the actual strengths. That balance depends on the way the four emperors act. And that takes into account the power struggle among them to create the necessary opening for the WG to act to stop them. If they come together, the pact will completely crush the WG to the level of not being able to stand up again.
Old 2009-09-10, 20:15   Link #179
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
I think Garp is somewhat Roger's equal, Roger said that they nearly killed each other numerous times. Not I nearly killed "you", he said, "we" nearly killed each other. So, in my opinions, they are equals (somewhat).

It doesn't matter if people want to except it or not. Fact is, its stated in the manga. Oda has shown that he isn't like certain "other" mangaka's and have someone say they are the strongest, then pop another stronger character out of nowhere.

It was stated clearly that Whitebeard is the Strongest Man in the World, and even Garp referred to him as the "King of the Seas" when he was talking to Ace in Impel Down. Even Sengoku, strong or not strong, is shook from his strength. The other Yonkou are strong, there's no doubt it about that, but its a reason why Whitebeard was named the strongest. And he proved it by causing 2 tsunami's that would have wiped out nearly all of the marine's fighting force (DF users), but luckily the World Government has Aokiji. Otherwise, with just one move, Whitebeard would have defeated the World Government. You telling me other Yonkou's have the capacity to do that? I don't think so.

...They do have Ao Kiji though. You act like no other guys in the manga could do something just as strong. blackbeard could cause a black hole and kill every marine there by your logic.

And i did say the reason i didn't want to believe it was because of wishful thinking...Don't have to argue it anymore as i admitted it wasn't arguable because it was stated clearly in the manga. My point is strength isn't like a test score...it can be judged in many different ways. For example..I don't see how whitebeard would defeat blackbeard since blackbeard can conquer gravity itself.
Old 2009-09-10, 21:00   Link #180
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Well I have actually started to think that the world balance WG is so proudly trying to preserve is nothing but a misrepresentation of the actual strengths. That balance depends on the way the four emperors act. And that takes into account the power struggle among them to create the necessary opening for the WG to act to stop them. If they come together, the pact will completely crush the WG to the level of not being able to stand up again.
I've never thought that the 3 powers were equal. It's always been quite obvious that the WG is about as powerful as a single emperor while WG + Shicibukai is likely to equal 2 emperors.

The balance is really how no single emperor is willing to attack the WG singlely and suffer huge losses and alliances of more than 2 emperors are just almost impossible, they are pirates who are individualistic, egolistic and most probably "prone to backstabbing".

Also note that if 3 of the emperors do ever band together to take on the world government, the 4th one will likely take the chance to become the overlord of the seas as the attack will leave all 3 emperors and the WG too weak. So even a 3 emperor alliance is not going to happen.

Sidenote: Just because the shichibukai added together is likely only to equal 1 emperor's powers is not an indication that they are much weaker. Note that so far none of the shichibukai have huge crews. The difference is more likely due to the lack support of good crew members.
Closed Thread