AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-03, 10:42   Link #61
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Because of the character designs, or is there another reason that marks the new rivals as the possible candidate animation studios?
Old 2009-02-03, 15:07   Link #62
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Assumption may be an incorrect thing, but it is possible that the often repeated questions and complaining about Haruhi ("Season Two Where?") type stuff will end....very shortly.

Though it will lead to two things...("Season Three Where?" and "FMP! Season Four Where?")
Old 2009-02-03, 16:46   Link #63
-Kh-
ポルカ

For your viewing pleasure, the Newtype CM: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Z1hq_wGbw

Old 2009-02-03, 17:20   Link #64
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They don't need to recover though, since Yamamoto had little influence in KyoAni's works prior Lucky Star as I said in my previous post regarding him.
Considering Haruhi might not even have gotten noticed as quickly were it not for his dance gimmick ending and by extension fewer people would have become as die-hard for the studio in the process I don't think it's possible to overestimate the value he had to the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
I certainly didn't intend for this thread to become a centre of fanboy worshipping when I made the OP, in fact I was pretty ticked off by too many sequel discussions where I actually want to read information and opinions on the show itself.
It's a sign of the times. Nothing you could have done really.
Old 2009-02-03, 17:55   Link #65
thirdlc

Quote:
They don't need to recover though, since Yamamoto had little influence in KyoAni's works prior Lucky Star as I said in my previous post regarding him.
I think every one of his works even before Lucky Star was outstanding.

FMP Fumoffu ep 2, 9
Air ep 2, 5, 8
FMP TSR ep 2, 6, 11
Haruhi 1, 12, ED
(Kanon, which I haven't watch yet, and the other outsourced works aside.)

Yes, outstanding, aren't they? Particularly, he had such a significant impact on Haruhi that he should be considered as an actual director. Clearly, Haruhi is made of his sense of timing throughout the whole series. And Ishihara should be supervisor.

Could it be said that Yamada Naoko suceeded to Yamamoto? Her very insistent directing stye is similar to his one.

EDIT: Apparently, her name is Hisako, not Naoko. Congratulations on being director of K-On! I thought she was promising, but... Director? Wow.

The above list is the episodes Yamamoto directed.

Last edited by thirdlc; 2009-02-06 at 15:05.
Old 2009-02-03, 18:08   Link #66
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That reminds me...there hasn't been any dance sequences in Clannad has there?
Old 2009-02-03, 18:55   Link #67
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That reminds me...there hasn't been any dance sequences in Clannad has there?
Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6K9Rabh5kk
Old 2009-02-03, 19:05   Link #68
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sigh....Dance..you know, like in Kanon...Haruhi, Lucky Star....
Old 2009-02-03, 19:08   Link #69
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Sigh....Dance..you know, like in Kanon...Haruhi, Lucky Star....
Honestly I don't recall any "real" dancing in Clannad off the top of my head. Not every Kyoto show has one. I haven't watched Kanon, yet from what I've seen I wouldn't have thought there'd be dancing in it. Well at least not to the extent of the Haruhi and Lucky Star dances, if thats what its like.
Old 2009-02-03, 19:18   Link #70
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I haven't watched Kanon, yet from what I've seen I wouldn't have thought there'd be dancing in it.
The ballroom dance during Mai's route. Then again there wasn't any dancing in FMP, AIR or Munto. The story has to call for it.
Old 2009-02-03, 19:24   Link #71
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
For your viewing pleasure, the Newtype CM: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Z1hq_wGbw

It's another hoax!

I don't believe it!
Old 2009-02-03, 19:35   Link #72
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well....there are I believe seven days until this Newtype magazine hit the stands...and two months until April. Not all that long to find out is it?

My biggest problem is the lack of Japanese reading skills....thus I can't read what the Newtype cover says...which seems to be the main source of imformation aside from this TV ad.
Old 2009-02-03, 19:38   Link #73
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
The ballroom dance during Mai's route. Then again there wasn't any dancing in FMP, AIR or Munto. The story has to call for it.
Tessa OAV has dancing mechas, it shows how much fictional mercs waste their spare time. And that was hilariously awesome.
Old 2009-02-03, 21:23   Link #74
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

Quote:
Don't forget about Yuuichi and Kitagawa's "dance" during Shiori's birthday in the restaurant.
Old 2009-02-04, 00:34   Link #75
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
What about ONE remake? I mean they did do a Kanon one. ONe isn't really "KEY" per say but It deserves a remake none the less ^-^ And before Little Busters we need Tomoyo After and Planetarian!

I'm thinking Kyo-ani is becoming a bigger studio and can produce more than one work at a time by now. With the new Haruhi would it be 1 cour or 2?
Old 2009-02-04, 00:37   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No one knows....we can only guess based on the material they have avaliable to animate. We don't even know how long Munto (TV) is suppose to be.
Old 2009-02-04, 01:35   Link #77
wao
OK.

It's definitely a mistake to attribute so much of a series' quality to the studio as opposed to the director, especially when it comes to large heterogeneous studios like Madhouse.

But what's led so many otaku to worship Kyoto Animation is their consistently high level of dedication - even Bones is solid, sure, but I'd argue that their shows in general don't have that obvious "painstakingly-made" feel to them, which is what wins fans over...

However I'd also argue that it's unfair to compare Kyoani with other similar or more major studios because it appears that they are run somewhat differently. I haven't watched much of their recent works but when I did I noticed they didn't outsource as much as other studios and had very stable, set teams down to in-betweeners (important) and colourists in the staff rotations for episodes. You see the same names again and again.
Not like other comparable studios that bring in all sorts of other people and frequently get people onto episodes on a temporary basis; plus by nature of their size it is hard to enforce quality between teams (unless we're talking about Ghibli or something, which is clearly a different beast)

I'm only making huge assumptions here but at least for a good while Kyoani seems to have had a close-knit structure where consistency in quality is highly emphasized. They've had greater control on their output and schedules... Perhaps part of it has to do with being geographically isolated from the center of animation production in Tokyo, where animators can hop over to another place in short notice.

So of course, Kyoto Animation has been able to afford this set-up by concentrating on few series and having the good sense/luck to partner with well-marketed shows. But I would bet that this won't last much longer if it hasn't already broken down... It sounds cliche, but fame and wealth and all that can change the dynamics within the studio unless someone knows how to direct that in a positive way.

That's what I think, anyway.
Personally I'd much rather worship individual animators and directors rather than studios, tyvm
Old 2009-02-04, 02:26   Link #78
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a time when directors were and such were praised. That is still the case for some. KyoAni is praised because of overall preformance in multiple fields. They've not yet had a clear flop of an anime, and thus have generated a large following because of their track record.

Haruhi was a hit. There is no question about that.

Lucky Star to some looked like it was going to be a major flop/let down in the beginning, but somehow it came up aces by the end.

Now Munto (TV) is in the hot seat. People are reserving judgement on it until after they get past the redone OVA material. Only then can it been seen if it is a hit or a miss.

KyoAni's Key productions have been rated as beautiful for the most part.

Full Metal Panic's sequals were also well animated compared to the original. It doesn't hurt that they two seasons had the two main aspects of the series spit between them (Side Story humor/school arc Fumoffu, and Military/mecha arc The Second Raid). However it is also known that they did not do Full Metal Panic alone, but were part of a group effort. They just get the majority credit for the animation work.
Old 2009-02-04, 04:00   Link #79
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

My biggest problem is the lack of Japanese reading skills....thus I can't read what the Newtype cover says...which seems to be the main source of imformation aside from this TV ad.
"Suzumiya Haruhi TV Anime coming soon" more or less.

I consider Lucky Star a flop as a concept by the way. Not commercially though. Then again it seemed like it was doing everything possible to infuriate me at every turn and it's not at all the type of "comedy" I find funny or clever. That kind of goes for most Japanese style comedy though.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-02-04 at 04:10.
Old 2009-02-04, 10:04   Link #80
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
It's another hoax!

I don't believe it!

Well it actually is. The video is real tho, but Kadokawa has messed up with us (please don't start hating on KyoAni, this is all Kadokawa's fault )

“April Haruhi TV Anime” a Rerun

The news that the “Haruhi TV Anime” was set to air in April, thought by all to be either the long awaited second series or an almost unbelievably perverse marketing stunt, in fact does turn out to be a carefully worded piece of deception: it refers only to a rerun of the previously aired first season of Haruhi

Fans are predictably outraged, though it remains to be seen whether they will finally abandon the series, or will merely grumble and obediently commence purchasing should a new series actually emerge.

The dread confirmation emerged after direct enquiries to Kadokawa, which drew official confirmation that it was merely their grandiose way of pulling in the punters to view their repeat airing.

Strange that they wouldn’t bother to mention the fact that the new airing was a repeat of the first season in any of their material?

Their use of just “TV anime” without mentioning the name of the series now seems retrospectively suspect, and their deliberate efforts to incite speculation about the 2nd season, only to then deceive fans with weaselled wording, is surely nothing more than wilful and reprehensible deception.

Is this some disastrous attempt at generating “buzz”, or are their marketing departments entirely staffed by incompetents? Certainly, fans will likely not believe a word they say from here on, and quite sensibly too.

Probably most fans will not care anymore after this latest disappointment, but there is some lingering speculation that a back to back broadcast of the first series followed directly by the second is what is planned – this would mean a summer start for the title.

It would probably be better for fans just to forget this wretched series ever existed and obsess over something else, however.

Sigh...

Spoiler for size:
Closed Thread

Tags
studios