AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-01-02, 17:59   Link #21141
witchfan

God, way to completely miss the point. I am saying I don't think the motive you gave is the one true answer, and I also don't think there is enough evidence to come up with a definite answer at the moment. But I don't want to get into an in-depth discussion about what her motive may be right now, because I don't find it relevant to the overarching discussion (what Ryukishi could've done to make this a mystery), and also because I know that kind of discussion will just become a back-and-forth without ever reaching consensus.

Also read my previous post if you want one reason for why I don't think it's the definite answer. (Edit: probably didn't make it clear enough from my wording, it's clearly stated now).

Last edited by witchfan; 2011-01-02 at 18:14.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 18:05   Link #21142
Darkweaver

By the way, isn't there a good motive for Kyrie? I mean:
-Hey honey? Know those 18 years of pain and suffering you went through?
-Yes?
-Those 18 years you called hell?
-Yeah...?
-Oh that was all for nothing, the family switched babies on birth, Battler is your son, and there was nothing preventing me from marrying you back then.
I could see her snapping after this, at least it wouldn't be just LOLGOLD.
Darkweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 18:24   Link #21143
Nero Allelujah
The Light that Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweaver View Post
By the way, isn't there a good motive for Kyrie? I mean:
-Hey honey? Know those 18 years of pain and suffering you went through?
-Yes?
-Those 18 years you called hell?
-Yeah...?
-Oh that was all for nothing, the family switched babies on birth, Battler is your son, and there was nothing preventing me from marrying you back then.
I could see her snapping after this, at least it wouldn't be just LOLGOLD.
Hmm that could be a better way to add on to her motive, after all, it seemed like it was her who took the reins in the EP7 massacre. Although in none of the episodes so far have we had the clear confirmation that Rudolf has told Battler about his birth, it doesn't say anything that he didn't tell Kyrie.
Old 2011-01-02, 18:32   Link #21144
Darkweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Allelujah View Post
Hmm that could be a better way to add on to her motive, after all, it seemed like it was her who took the reins in the EP7 massacre. Although in none of the episodes so far have we had the clear confirmation that Rudolf has told Battler about his birth, it doesn't say anything that he didn't tell Kyrie.
That's true, though we don't have a 100% clear confirmation for 90% of things in this series.
Old 2011-01-02, 18:44   Link #21145
Nero Allelujah
The Light that Guides

Haha does this mean we just gotta assume for the 90% we don't know? Leave it up to chance, and hope that's it. I'm not sure about how I feel about the ending of Umineko, but there had to be an explanation to all the meta-stuff and magic characters, Battler being trapped in delusions and having amnesia fits the bill. I just don't like the portrait of EP8, all those happy families, to only have 2 survivors? Heartless.
Old 2011-01-02, 18:53   Link #21146
Darkweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Allelujah View Post
Haha does this mean we just gotta assume for the 90% we don't know? Leave it up to chance, and hope that's it. I'm not sure about how I feel about the ending of Umineko, but there had to be an explanation to all the meta-stuff and magic characters, Battler being trapped in delusions and having amnesia fits the bill. I just don't like the portrait of EP8, all those happy families, to only have 2 survivors? Heartless.
I understand. I think there might be. I was quite baffled when i heard the spoilers, but I'll wait for the translation since my knowledge of Japanese is equal to a kid learning swears in a foreign language . I'm not sure how I feel about it either. It does fit thematically, but I'll have to think about it for a while.
Old 2011-01-02, 18:54   Link #21147
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I could see Kyrie killing Rudolf if he lied about Battler's maternity; I can't see her killing anyone else.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 19:04   Link #21148
Darkweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
I could see Kyrie killing Rudolf if he lied about Battler's maternity; I can't see her killing anyone else.
I'm not sure. From what we've seen of Kyrie I think Rudolf would be the last person she would kill. She did suffer through everything for him. Also didn't Klashikari say that EP8 game isn't really confirmed as truth either (I'm not talking about the ending, just the Bern's game part)?
Old 2011-01-02, 20:14   Link #21149
Will Wright

Completely ignoring this current debate, I was just informed that there is a theory that Will is Erika's ex-boyfriend.

Excuse me for saying this but, what?
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 20:20   Link #21150
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid this thread forever.

Well, from what I've read already, I think I'll enjoy this episode. People are taking stuff a bit too seriously, and honestly I think some of the information flying around is only conjecture, just like with Ep7...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 20:21   Link #21151
Darkweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
Completely ignoring this current debate, I was just informed that there is a theory that Will is Erika's ex-boyfriend.

That must be why he quit SSVD! He couldn't be an actor and a detective at the same time, hahaha
Old 2011-01-02, 20:23   Link #21152
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm personally curious what are the current theories about Yasu's motive then.
For one, I basically only saw one which is basically similar to what I thought: Yasu just couldn't do anything about her love being simply split in 3 ways.
Therefore, she left everything to the roulette, although she never planned killing anyone, she probably expected an incident would occur considering the gold etc.
My take on Yasu's motive, having read the first 4 episodes several times is that it's hope or hopelessness. Which I would argue is a STRONG emotional motive if handled correctly. It has it's flaws in making the character look "stupid", or "indecisive" when she's actually intelligent, and is just thinking too hard and eliminating better choices. She's not having a hard time choosing she's making it so she can't chose the better choices.

Dreamers are interesting people. When something bad happens they let it stew. And never talking about their emotional problems those emotions build up over time. The other problem is that this particular dreamer contradicts herself so that she limits her options exponentially. Because she's contradicted every option she has she tries to settle for something lesser to keep her dreams somehow intact. (Love Trial) Than something unexpected happens (Battler returns) and all those pent up emotions turn into a bomb and explode.

Yasu is a school shooting type of killer. That's what I think we're meant to beleive with that answer. Especially considering she's mentally 16.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 20:28   Link #21153
witchfan

Just to give myself some more backing... Judoh perfectly illustrates my point. He read the EPs as you did, but interprets Yasu's character very differently. You could argue 'til tomorrow about which theory is the more correct, but I doubt you'd be able to convince each other, simply because there is a significant lack of evidence. (and I have my own ideas about Yasu's motive which I could throw into the mix, just for fun!)
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 20:43   Link #21154
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ah, and if there's one thing I hope will be in Rei, if it contains an actual backstory for Kyrie, is an actual goddamn sprite for Asumu.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 21:14   Link #21155
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Yasu hasn't really deceived herself to avoid taking responsibility from her choices, I think, but the whole opposite. She kept on deceiving herself to keep on waiting for Battler. She was that determined. This is why I believe that, if she said she was going to obey the ruling of the roulette, she meant it.
"It's not me, Beatrice did it."

Yea...

Quote:

It was WAAAY back in the days when we only knew Will and Lion as "The red person and the blue guy."
Old 2011-01-02, 21:14   Link #21156
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
Not Will, but Battler, I believe. After all, she told Battler, in Red, he was the one who killed her. She said something like "I didn't die from poisoning, I didn't die in an accident. You're the one who killed me."
Old 2011-01-02, 22:16   Link #21157
bekyuubi

Okay. I think I can't help but ask right now although I have not touched umineko 8 (waiting for english release then buy game 5-8 in a pack from witch hunt).

So there's no confirmed theory, and Yasu's identity isn't revealed, and the hints given are just inconclusive, and there most likely won't be any confirmed answer now and in the future.

Am I right so far?
bekyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 22:25   Link #21158
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post

It was WAAAY back in the days when we only knew Will and Lion as "The red person and the blue guy."
Which reminded me that one of the theories had Will as Erika's boyfriend, and Lion as the person that Will is cheating on Erika with. XD
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 22:51   Link #21159
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
"It's not me, Beatrice did it."

Yea...
Ah... if you refer to that, then yes. But, personally, I wouldn't compare that situation to the roulette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekyuubi View Post
So there's no confirmed theory, and Yasu's identity isn't revealed, and the hints given are just inconclusive, and there most likely won't be any confirmed answer now and in the future.
- No, there's no confirmed theory. According to R07, the hints are there (well, they've been there since EP4, supposedly), and you should be able to piece everything together by now.
- Yasu follows the same trend. You can piece the info you've received and reach a conclusion, but once again, nothing has been confirmed - not in a blatant Higurashi way, nor is there any hint that make things clear beyond any doubt.
- R07's himts have been definitely ambiguous, but not necessarily inconclusive, and it seems he doesn't plan on changing this trend, not even in a possible Umineko Rei.
Old 2011-01-02, 23:07   Link #21160
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Which reminded me that one of the theories had Will as Erika's boyfriend, and Lion as the person that Will is cheating on Erika with. XD
Haha that was my idea Not sure if someone else came up with it too, though.