AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-21, 20:21   Link #101
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
See, that's why a lot of men will find it hard to get her attention... because they assume that she has to be "tamed" in the first place.

Great observation, there is a scene in one of the novel (I forgot which one). Ryoko and co. and face to face with the culprit. The culprit ask her what kind of man she like.

Ryoko's response was that she doesn't need a guy who's great looking, super intelligent, high- social status, or rich, because she already have those things herself, what she need is a guy, while doesn't have to be anything special just capable, someone can feel comfortable with and can be trusted by her to have him watching her back when she goes in battle. Even if that guy is dense when it comes to women, doesn't know a thing about being romantic, and just boring guy overall. But when it comes down to it he'll be the one guy that listens to her and obey her every command gladly.

Because the novel are wrote from Juichiro's POV so it only shows Yukiko's reaction by having Juichiro notice Yukiko gazing toward him and comment "That's some statement you made, Ryo, it might be worth to go into a bit more detail later ..." All the while you got Juichiro thinks to himself on two things: why is everyone staring at him, and "this is the first time I heard Ryoko talk about her taste in men, I don't know where she'll find such a guy but I'm already feel sorry for him and his future"
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 06:53   Link #102
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
All the while you got Juichiro thinks to himself on two things: why is everyone staring at him, and "this is the first time I heard Ryoko talk about her taste in men, I don't know where she'll find such a guy but I'm already feel sorry for him and his future"
Gaahahahaha he is so dense, god that just had me laughing out loud for absolutely no reason at all (I have no idea why I am so easily amused by this series. Why??)

I think I just have a soft spot for this couple, there's no getting around it... I find this show entirely enjoyable if it isn't taken too seriously, I feel like I'm actually enjoying an anime for the fun of it after some time (so far, anyway. So far the writing hasn't gotten as bad as I thought it would, looking at the scriptwriter)
Old 2008-07-22, 10:02   Link #103
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Great observation, there is a scene in one of the novel (I forgot which one). Ryoko and co. and face to face with the culprit. The culprit ask her what kind of man she like.

Ryoko's response was that she doesn't need a guy who's great looking, super intelligent, high- social status, or rich, because she already have those things herself, what she need is a guy, while doesn't have to be anything special just capable, someone can feel comfortable with and can be trusted by her to have him watching her back when she goes in battle. Even if that guy is dense when it comes to women, doesn't know a thing about being romantic, and just boring guy overall. But when it comes down to it he'll be the one guy that listens to her and obey her every command gladly.

Because the novel are wrote from Juichiro's POV so it only shows Yukiko's reaction by having Juichiro notice Yukiko gazing toward him and comment "That's some statement you made, Ryo, it might be worth to go into a bit more detail later ..." All the while you got Juichiro thinks to himself on two things: why is everyone staring at him, and "this is the first time I heard Ryoko talk about her taste in men, I don't know where she'll find such a guy but I'm already feel sorry for him and his future"
That's funny. Too bad I won't be able to see this animated on screen.

The other reason I say that she doesn't need to be "tamed" is related to the idea that assertive and aggressively sexy women tend to be an ambivalent if not intimidating subject to the male ego.

Think why such a character type often isn't the romantic interest in stories, or how they tend to be the "villain" as opposed to the little next door girl. Why should she be "tamed" when she is who she is? It's about finding the right person, and what kind of person can get along with her.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 11:05   Link #104
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Gaahahahaha he is so dense, god that just had me laughing out loud for absolutely no reason at all (I have no idea why I am so easily amused by this series. Why??)

I think I just have a soft spot for this couple, there's no getting around it... I find this show entirely enjoyable if it isn't taken too seriously, I feel like I'm actually enjoying an anime for the fun of it after some time (so far, anyway. So far the writing hasn't gotten as bad as I thought it would, looking at the scriptwriter)
Yeah, I really enjoyed X-Files because it was so very highly intellectual. Mulder and Scully's relationship had nothing to do with the show's popularity, nothing at all, I tell you.

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 13:37   Link #105
Molenir

Quote:
Think why such a character type often isn't the romantic interest in stories, or how they tend to be the "villain" as opposed to the little next door girl. Why should she be "tamed" when she is who she is? It's about finding the right person, and what kind of person can get along with her.
I agree totally. Thats the way it always is. While there is an element of "taming" in any good relationship, as each partners roles and responsibilities shift over time, and as you adjust to one another, really its a matter of finding the person who fits you best. For her, she doesn't need someone richer or stronger then her. She needs someone she feels comfortable with.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 23:40   Link #106
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep 3:

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about this couple as wao, but they are fun to watch and excellently voiced. Looking at Nabatame Hitomi's list of credits I realized I had heard her voice perhaps half-a-dozen roles like Suou Mikoto in School Rumble and Matsuri in Rocket Girls. I've always noticed her rather distinctive voice which she uses to great effect as Ryoko.

Despite Ryoko's glamour, let's not overlook Kiuchi Hidenobu's fine performance as Junichirou. He conveys that sense of acceptance of oppression well, yet he still carries off lines like his departure in episode three that so bothers Ryoko. Looking over his resume I'm left wondering how the voice of Kenzo Tenma doesn't have a longer list of major credits. I'm glad he's getting another star turn here. I just hope some people in Japan get to see it. This show doesn't register on the ratings list Siegel Clyne maintains for us. Is it on a pay channel or other non-broadcast service like BS/2? Or is it the adult characters that limit its appeal to the usual anime-watching audience?

I worry with Kaoru Chujo, though, that the "dense Junichirou" theme could become a bit tiresome after a while. Also like him, I was happy to see another show without monsters, but I suspect that might be ending next week. I'll still be watching, though
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 01:16   Link #107
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The ending of episode 3's funny. Looks like the JACES security teams must've messed with the journalist's cameras.

Speaking of them, I think their voices are familiar. Not sure who are they.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 01:19   Link #108
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Yea I'm alittle fuzzy on that too...He mentioned something along the lines of "What if she had poisoned it" or some such...So does that mean she was trying to kill her some other way? If so why was she looking at her with such anticipation as she drank...I dunno just doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Meh putting that little annoyance aside I really like the show...Nice break from Moe character designs.
I think the episode suggests that she wasn't. If she did, Ryoko won't be able to point her compact pistol at the assassin as she'd be on the ground.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 03:00   Link #109
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The X-Files comparisons don't make sense to me. The shows have pretty different feelings to me. This oozes style and sexiness, which aren't really words I'd use to describe The X-Files.

Ep 3

Ultimately fairly shallow, but entertaining as well. This is looking fairly mindless so far, but the character interactions are amusing to an extent. The dynamic between Ryoko and Izumida actually reminds me a bit of a more grown up version of Haruhi and Kyon. She's aggressive and sexual and likes to get her own way, while he's outwardly indifferent but secretly likes being pulled along for the ride. I think I missed something, though, since the camera blowing up at the end made no sense.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 03:32   Link #110
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
This round we get to see a meanie Ryoko, poor Izumida dragged here and there by his superior. In some occasions I wondered if he enjoyed being used like that, maybe he is some sort of masochist.
I have to say that Ryoko is really tempting and charming.

Really enjoyable episode overall, though the camera thing made no sense to me too, coincidence perhaps...
Old 2008-07-27, 15:16   Link #111
FubaredByAnime

I haven't read the novels, but after watching ep 3, it makes me wonder who's actually more denser, Izumida or Ryoko.

Spoiler:

So now she's put herself into a continuous dilemma. Because Izumida is too cool to be captured by her seductions, she has to play games to try to catch his attention. But so as long as she keeps playing these games, he's not going to drop his cool.

I'm sure it's dawned on her that she need to change strategies, but she seems too wrapped up into herself to wanna to do that. So what's a sexy gal to do now?

As for the photos, there's a superstitious belief that if pictures show continuous blemishes around people in the shot, these people are supposedly haunted. If you relook at the sequence of picture, the bartender's picture is fine. All the others of Ryoko and Izumida have "problems" with them. That's why the reporters freak out, because they think there's something supernatural involved.
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 15:33   Link #112
Undertaker

This episode is definitley not a case but similar to the extra chapter/short stories features i some of the novel. which strickly focusing on Ryoko and Junichiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime View Post
As for the photos, there's a superstitious belief that if pictures show continuous blemishes around people in the shot, these people are supposedly haunted. If you relook at the sequence of picture, the bartender's picture is fine. All the others of Ryoko and Izumida have "problems" with them. That's why the reporters freak out, because they think there's something supernatural involved.

Yeah, I don't get why those two reporters are so freaked out by those shots as well I just find it strang that for some reason those shot went bad when they were fine as she was taking them.

Than I watch the episode the second time and focus directly on the pictures and find out why.

The shadows/blemishes on all the pictures with Ryoko in it all shaped like a person, face, etc. No wonder they freaked out and I find this as a nice touch.

And based on Ryoko's personality, I guess she was planning on having the reporter take pictures of Ryoko and Junichiro and report is as some osrt of tabloid scandal, which she'll use it to "force" a relationship out of Junichiro, but like all her previous attempts, it ends with failure.
Old 2008-07-28, 13:28   Link #113
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 3

Seriously guys i wouldnt have been able to take it. Ryoko being all flirty and walking around in those sexy getups (especially that China dress) i would have been brought up on sexual harassment charges. The damn sexual tension between those 2 was leaking through my screen. But we also got a sense of how dependent Ryoko is on her faithful retainer lol. It was like she didnt know what to do with herself and spent much of the beginning of the episode scowling. Unlike Junichiro who was enjoying his time off. I cant believe she called him on the dot the min his day off was considered over Jesus is this women is demanding.

Not the best series but it has it moments still worth the watch for me.

Those poor reporters they got to see the Vampire cure up close.
Old 2008-07-28, 14:51   Link #114
Undertaker

That's why in the Asian ACG world her nickname is simple Jo-oh-sama (Queen/empress however you want to interperate). No characters pulls her personality better than herself with the exception of maybe Haruhi.

But I agree with you, as a stand-along series, it's just a bit above average (I gave it a 7/10). But it is highly enjoyable if you've followed the novels or the manga adaption.
Old 2008-07-28, 22:17   Link #115
Molenir

Quote:
Seriously guys i wouldnt have been able to take it. Ryoko being all flirty and walking around in those sexy getups (especially that China dress) i would have been brought up on sexual harassment charges.
He can't bring up sexual harassment charges. Shes his boss. Not only that, but shes the boss of the place he is eventually going to retire to. Not only that, if he brought her up on charges, others around him might lose their retirement as well. Altogether, he is stuck being her longsuffering "slave" and "lackey" Who despite his obvious attraction to her, is forced to keep himself in check.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 15:48   Link #116
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
He can't bring up sexual harassment charges. Shes his boss. Not only that, but shes the boss of the place he is eventually going to retire to. Not only that, if he brought her up on charges, others around him might lose their retirement as well. Altogether, he is stuck being her longsuffering "slave" and "lackey" Who despite his obvious attraction to her, is forced to keep himself in check.
I was talking about me being brought up on sexual harassment charges.
Old 2008-07-30, 01:11   Link #117
FateAnomaly

I think Ryoko is prettiest when she is sleeping...
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 05:15   Link #118
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The X-Files comparisons don't make sense to me. The shows have pretty different feelings to me. This oozes style and sexiness, which aren't really words I'd use to describe The X-Files.

The show has an old 1980s US mystery series flair, or the campy cop duo shows of that timeframe, with a twist of 1930s pulp fiction. Ryoko seems to come straight from "Hart to Hart" to me (having the competences, good look and the wealth), while Junichiro is pretty much the ordinary but competent guy.

EDIT: Ryoko comes to me as a hybrid of Saeko Nogami from City Hunter for the all-woman aura, and Haruhi Suzumiya, with the wealth and resources of "Hart to Hart" lead characters.

Last edited by Sheba; 2008-07-30 at 05:29.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 09:25   Link #119
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I think Ryoko is prettiest when she is sleeping...
Kind of like how a tiger looks cute like kitten when its sleeping? lol
Old 2008-07-31, 02:13   Link #120
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
Yep, mystery+supernatural+detective is epic win.
just in time for the new X-files movie

hot > MOE!! altho Ryoko also has 2 moe maids!!
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supernatural