AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-19, 19:51   Link #1481
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
What? I wonder how japanese actually works, since it always has wide range of meanings when translated into other languages.
You have to know either Japanese or Korean to completely understand the original title. It's closest to both "Even if I have Chuunibyou, I still want to love!" and "Even if (someone) has Chuunibyou, I still want to love (that person)!". I think the official English title seems to have caught the feeling pretty well.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:21   Link #1482
judasmartel
*Author

Rikka's club needs only one more type of member to become a true Expy of the SOS Brigade: a genius computer hacker a la Yuki Nagato.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:47   Link #1483
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I don't get why "other delusions" was ever implemented, as it is really not the same as chuuni (in fact, it is at least a good thing they didn't translate chuuni as "delusional").
And color me surprised they already have a edited logo for the series already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Mentioned this in my post earlier, but it bears repeating. Sentai/TAN have used the second novel's synopsis in their advertising of this series. Personally, I believe they do not know the full story of the anime and tried to make up a catchy name similar to Love, Election, and Chocolate to capture a similar impact.
Rule of threes, after all .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:50   Link #1484
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I honestly think that Yuuta is quite attracted to her. He just can’t truly express it well because of his Tsundere-ish nature/his desperate attempt to distance himself from his embarrassing past. He’s had several chances to ditch her and otherwise ignore her existence, yet he can’t quite quit her. From helping her move the luggage, keeping the sword, keeping the cat…(though that may be due to some blackmail), keeping her company at lunch, meeting her after school, helping her recruit for her club, sticking with her through her (hilarious) improv session, cleaning up that club room, and even joining the club. Those are all the various acts that indicating slight attraction towards her. If he was anything more than mortified and mildly annoyed by the behaviors he witnesses, I doubt he would have stuck around, because I think he’s past any point of social obligation by now. Maybe the key things you’re looking for is for him to actually call her ‘Rikka’, and a definite commitment to her romance route? To me it looks like its going to play out as a Kyon/Haruhi vs Kyon/Mikuru sort of deal. Time will tell.

Yuuta did help Rikka with the luggage, but only after smacking her repeatedly on the head. Is that supposed to be funny? I just can't understand why he did that. It seems completely reasonable to me that Rikka get the delivery people to bring her stuff down at a time she expect to be home to receive it. It's also understandable that Rikka would get the timing to meet the delivery people off because it's her first day at school and she just moved in. As I see it, the ones at fault were the delivery people. They should have called Rikka on her mobile phone (in episode 3, it is clear she has a mobile phone) when nobody answered the door to her apartment. Yet Rikka got smacked because Yuuta was annoyed her stuff was dumped in his apartment.

Regarding the cat, Yuuta firmly refused to help Rikka keep the cat. He had no problem keeping it, and his family would not object to it, it's just he didn't want to do her that favor. Yet, he agreed to take care of the cat after Tooka, someone whom he just met that day, asked. Wow, that's some friend for you, Rikka-chan.

Then we have Yuuta firmly rejecting Rikka's request to help form her club. He did end up tagging along. It's not like he's helping her hand out print-outs or asking people to join. I was giving Yuuta the benefit of the doubt that he was there to look out for Rikka, but all that was dashed when Yuuta lied and readily abandoned her when hot cheerleader Shinka went past.

Helping out to clean the club room while the other girls were more a hindrance than help was a good deed Yuuta did. Yet he stood by in silence when Rikka was trying to make up for the 5th club member with the cat, invisible spirit and Catherine persona. At that point, it was clear the rest were counting him as a member already. If he didn't want to join, he should have said something then. When Nana-sensei agreed to bend the rules and allow them to go ahead, you can see Yuuta was quite disappointed in her decision. So he decided to sabotage the club formation by saying he never wanted to join. Yeah, good work trolling everyone, Yuuta.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:13   Link #1485
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
Yuuta did help Rikka with the luggage, but only after smacking her repeatedly on the head. Is that supposed to be funny? I just can't understand why he did that. It seems completely reasonable to me that Rikka get the delivery people to bring her stuff down at a time she expect to be home to receive it. It's also understandable that Rikka would get the timing to meet the delivery people off because it's her first day at school and she just moved in. As I see it, the ones at fault were the delivery people. They should have called Rikka on her mobile phone (in episode 3, it is clear she has a mobile phone) when nobody answered the door to her apartment. Yet Rikka got smacked because Yuuta was annoyed her stuff was dumped in his apartment.

Regarding the cat, Yuuta firmly refused to help Rikka keep the cat. He had no problem keeping it, and his family would not object to it, it's just he didn't want to do her that favor. Yet, he agreed to take care of the cat after Tooka, someone whom he just met that day, asked. Wow, that's some friend for you, Rikka-chan.

Then we have Yuuta firmly rejecting Rikka's request to help form her club. He did end up tagging along. It's not like he's helping her hand out print-outs or asking people to join. I was giving Yuuta the benefit of the doubt that he was there to look out for Rikka, but all that was dashed when Yuuta lied and readily abandoned her when hot cheerleader Shinka went past.

Helping out to clean the club room while the other girls were more a hindrance than help was a good deed Yuuta did. Yet he stood by in silence when Rikka was trying to make up for the 5th club member with the cat, invisible spirit and Catherine persona. At that point, it was clear the rest were counting him as a member already. If he didn't want to join, he should have said something then. When Nana-sensei agreed to bend the rules and allow them to go ahead, you can see Yuuta was quite disappointed in her decision. So he decided to sabotage the club formation by saying he never wanted to join. Yeah, good work trolling everyone, Yuuta.
So we have four million or so series where the Tsundere female beats up the hapless male lead for doing some wrong, doing something she thinks is wrong but actually isn't, or simply for committing the heinous crime of simply existing and people call it funny. Now the roles are reversed here and it's fire and pitchforks? Please.

As for the cat yes he refused to fulfill that favor at first and quite honestly why is he obligated to do it? Just because she asks doesn't mean he's compelled to say yes. That's selfish and unreasonable. As for agreeing when the sister made the request, I don't know if you paid attention but there was some very clear blackmail going on. He agreed because he had no choice. Convenient how you leave that out.

So Yuuta never wanted to join the club to begin with, but simply helped out cleaning the room to be nice. Would you have preferred he ignored her entirely if he wasn't interested in joining? He had several times shown lack of interest as well as unwillingness to be a part of the club, specifically when Rikka offered him the position of vice president of the club. The other characters don't seem to pay a lot of attention to his wishes in the story and he's the bad guy? Cmon now.

Now I'll be the first to admit that the series slapstick is flat out not going to appeal to some people but lets try to keep the facts straight at least.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:20   Link #1486
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I like this show a lot, and don't even mind Yuuta's conflicted attitude toward Rikka, but the hitting gets me down, as it does FredFriendly and AnimeOnline. I know it's just traditional slapstick, and the intention is not that bad, but it still bothers me. Same for Sanae tying herself up with her hair: that was one of the funniest bits of schtick I've seen, but it still made me feel uncomfortable. Tying her to the bedpost made me even more uncomfortable -- even though when I make myself get over the feeling, it is pretty funny. But those things don't make me think Yuuta is a bad guy; just that he has some bad reactions.

As for the title, I don't like the new English title, which seems so different from the Japanese one, and seems to add concepts that are only arguably present in the story. But I do like both houkoholic and ultimatemegax's versions: "I'm chuunibyou but I still want to fall in love," and "She has Chuunibyou, But I Want to Love Her!" The Japanese here doesn't specify who is the lover and who the loved, so the chuunibyou-sufferer could be either. Although I do think it being the lover is more natural here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:28   Link #1487
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You have to know either Japanese or Korean to completely understand the original title. It's closest to both "Even if I have Chuunibyou, I still want to love!" and "Even if (someone) has Chuunibyou, I still want to love (that person)!". I think the official English title seems to have caught the feeling pretty well.
Why Korean? Same grammar?
Old 2012-10-19, 21:30   Link #1488
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Replied on the title issue in the novel thread since it fit more there.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:40   Link #1489
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Why Korean? Same grammar?
Yes, and almost identical sentence structures.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 23:08   Link #1490
OkamiNoKaze

I think it would be a hilarious twist, if the whole school are Chuunis, or at least former ones
Old 2012-10-20, 00:02   Link #1491
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I think it would be a hilarious twist, if the whole school are Chuunis, or at least former ones
It would be even more of a twist if Rikka doesn't exist and is in fact part of Yuuta's delusion.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 01:28   Link #1492
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
It would be even more of a twist if Rikka doesn't exist and is in fact part of Yuuta's delusion.
Then this would be called Chaos Head 2 ...

On another note, I for one find the beatings and abuse funny. It's anime, it's meant to be funny in this area, laugh or don't it's up to you. I'm gonna keep laughing
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 01:54   Link #1493
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for the title, I don't like the new English title, which seems so different from the Japanese one, and seems to add concepts that are only arguably present in the story. But I do like both houkoholic and ultimatemegax's versions: "I'm chuunibyou but I still want to fall in love," and "She has Chuunibyou, But I Want to Love Her!" The Japanese here doesn't specify who is the lover and who the loved, so the chuunibyou-sufferer could be either. Although I do think it being the lover is more natural here.
Personally I'm partial to, "Even Though She's Autistic, I Still Want to Bone Her," but I don't see that going over well with retailers. "Despite Her Adolescent Delusions, I Still Love Her," is probably the best title in the sense of sounding good in English.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 03:02   Link #1494
arkxkra
全力全開

The teacher Nana was awesome, nice follow
Old 2012-10-20, 03:05   Link #1495
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Re: the 'abuse' issue: I've seen many tsundere girls beat a guy senseless (often with physical damage), yet it's tolerated more than the other way around, when the conditions for it are exactly the same. Gender equality goes both ways. If a girl hits a guy, she shouldn't be surprised when he hits her in return. I agree that it should be proportionate and that neither side should use excessive violence, but I don't think girls are magical beings that should never be hit at all, either.

Of course, Yuuta doesn't even abuse Rikka. He hits her on the head when (he thinks) she is acting stupid, which is a bit painful for her, but it's not like he breaks her skull or beat her senseless. And did we forget that Rikka tackled him with a sliding in the last episode? Anyone who's seen a soccer match knows that a move like that could easily break his legs in the worst case scenario. Why am I not hearing people complain about that?

As for him tying Sanae to the bed with her hair, did people forget that she was hitting him in the face with those things she has at the end of her twintails before that? So who was abusing who now? I sure as hell wouldn't like it if I had someone hit me in the face constantly, why should Yuuta sit back and allow it all to happen? Besides, she got the message, so I don't see the problem.

Re: title translation. This is something most licensors can't seem to get right, so I can't say I'm surprised over this weird-sounding title. Besides, it makes it sound like love is a delusion in of itself. Though then again, it may just as well be for Yuuta.

Last edited by Lord of Fire; 2012-10-20 at 05:41. Reason: Fixed 'guy hits a guy' to 'girl hits a guy'
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 03:13   Link #1496
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

The thing is most of the time Rikka is causing inconvenience to other people due to her chuunibyo - and in the Japanese society that's a huge cultural taboo, for example in the first episode dropping your stuff into another person's home because you failed to arrive home on time to take delievery (and the cause of the delay is because you went chuuni on buying a can of soda and missed the train), Yuuta had fairly good reasons to be angry at Rikka at that point. As for tying Sanae to the bed post - did anyone forget that Sanae, a complete stranger, trespassed into Yuuta's home? And not only that when asked who the heck she was she goes into chuuni mode with "the person asking should say their name first!", again here Sanae deserves some of the abuse here.

Yuuta lightly beating some sense into them can be argued to be for their own good due to their actions which lacks common sense and causing inconvenience to other people. And I would also second someone who said if this weren't cute girls getting lightly abused there would be no one raising any concerns.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 03:14   Link #1497
Skane
Anime Snark

This reminds me of the people defending Eru's physical harrassment of Houtarou in Hyouka all over again. To KyoAni's credit, at least they are equal about the punishments. The girls beat up the guys in Haruhi and FMP!, while guys knock the girls around in Kanon and CDKS.

Natch.
Old 2012-10-20, 03:16   Link #1498
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Either way it's something made to be more important than it is =_= But hey, whatever continues the discussions and rake up more posts right?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 03:17   Link #1499
KLGChaos
The Shermain

My opinion of the series:

I can understand playing make-believe in middle school, but to honestly be as delusional as the people who have this "condition" (which isn't a real condition) are, you think they'd be locked up in a mental institution for being completely out of their minds. There's pretending and then there's completely rejecting reality. I believe they make medication for that.

I guess my logical mind just can't really wrap my head around the notion and considering the rest of the world is portrayed as completely normal, it's hard to suspend my disbelief that people treat her fairly normally as she never acts normal. Maybe if they showed just one sign that she knows it's an act, but really wants to believe it's not, then it'd sit better with me. Just to show she's not a complete over-the-top loon. Though I will admit, the full blown anime battle sequences with the overblown effects that suddenly transition into what's really happening are a riot.
Old 2012-10-20, 03:22   Link #1500
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So, none of you are even going to consider the Shinka route eh ?
BUT I LIKE SHINKA

tho i like rikka too....
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen