AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-08, 02:23   Link #261
Karnot
Banned

TW's v2 font is much worse than v1 one.
Old 2006-10-08, 03:27   Link #262
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Tsubie, I thought you already watched it since you're an Live eviL's staffie.

I might not know Japanese, but one can pick up some English mistakes or strange phrases (especially since I've read the manga and most of the times know what they're talking about), so, I think I have the right to comment.

I've watched Live eviL's episode and frankly I think it was good. All I care about is the raw they used and the translation, and their didn't differ much from TW's. However, I gave LE +1 for translating shinigami as "God of Death".

Desuno on the other hand, was bad. The raw they used seemed... uhm... "squeezed" and blurry? Also, they translated the episode's title as "Boredome" while both TW and LE translated it as "Rebirth". Also, the typesetting sometimes went a little out of the edge, or something. While it's not a big deal for me which font they use, but I'd like to be able to see the whole sentence. Hopefully their second version will be better.

In conclusion, I recommend either TW or LE. I myself wonder which one to follow (maybe both).
Old 2006-10-08, 05:52   Link #263
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
You are suffering from a misconception. It has nothing to do with Death Note's quality. We give forums for crap shows all the time. A forum is not a mark of quality. Lots of truly inspired shows never get their own forums. You'd be surprised how many quality shows never get a large audience.

We give forums to shows that garner lots and lots of posts. Even if they are bad, thoughtless posts about which character can kick another character's bottom. Well... as long as those posts aren't bad enough for us to delete them.

Death Note made the necessary number of posts/day over a sufficently extended period. Nothing more, nothing less.

PS. The manga was really all that good. So I am really hoping that the anime also Rocks my World. But that has nothing to do with it getting it's own forum.
LoL guess i am wrong then. Just that when I see a series I never heard about getting a sub-forum, i normally go download it and so far all of them are quite good at least.
Old 2006-10-08, 15:20   Link #264
Immovable Mind
Periculum in mora

Send a message via MSN to Immovable Mind
Watching Death Note was my first experience with the series and I must say that it rather suprised me in a positive way. I didn't expect to much of it but the story and main characters really took a firm grasp on me.

I'm going to keep on track with this on for sure but I kinda wanna know what to expect of the series. Will it be action like or more story based. Either or other will do fine but I'm just curious, so please fill me in. Excuse me for not googling it out or reading pages of information on this or other fora.

Last edited by Immovable Mind; 2006-10-08 at 15:42.
Old 2006-10-08, 16:36   Link #265
myopius

Immovable Mind,
Spoiler for Characterizing the manga:

By the way, I'm starting to think that this will only cover the first half of the manga. :\ Look at the episode titles. The first chapter of DN was 2x as long as a normal one, and since the first episode = the first chapter, you'd think that it'd be 1 anime episode = 2 manga chapters. But

Spoiler for Manga, major:
Old 2006-10-09, 00:56   Link #266
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

To put myopius's words in an easier subcontext,

It is all about the story and the characters that drive it. However, the situations within the story reaches point of extreme intensity some of it pisses all over action-heavy series and also points of heavy suspence where you're just thrown into a situation where one goes "OMFG, what's gonna happen now that 'that' had happened?" and "Shit, waiting a week to know what'll happen to whatever is killing me." kind of scenarios.

It has little action (( not saying it doesn't at all )), but whatever it lacks there, it backs it up with what every action should have.

Assuming they only plan to cover the 1st half, (( Good for those who disliked Part 2, and good for me who can enjoy a more fleshed out manga )), MORE NAOMI PLZ. Listen to my pleas, Madhouse.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-09, 04:26   Link #267
Immovable Mind
Periculum in mora

Send a message via MSN to Immovable Mind
Thanks for the reactions myopius and Nightengale, both were very usefull. I'm gonna follow Death Note for sure and I'll try to get involved in the discussions on the forum.
Old 2006-10-09, 07:23   Link #268
Lilith
Your average fangirl

A group called Animanda released the 1st episode.

IMO the font they used is the best one in comparison with the other groups. Their translation is good, I didn't find any "awkward-ness" or something. Also, they had neat translations notes. I forgot to mention it that TW also had translation notes. I appreciate such things because they make me understand more. My only complaint is that they use, uhm, "profanity" (like "dickhead" and "fucked up").

My other complaint is the raw they used. It seemed, uhm, water-colored-like.
Spoiler for image comparison:

All of this IMO~ I don't know which to follow anymore! Maybe the fastest one, haha.
Old 2006-10-09, 07:27   Link #269
Karnot
Banned

Yeah, looks like Animanda (lol, what a word to name a group with) have overfiltered. But for me overfiltering is overall better than blockingness as in L-E release.
So i guess TW is the golden middle...right now at least.
Old 2006-10-09, 19:26   Link #270
myopius

Reading the responses of people who haven't read the manga, and in my experience watching it with some people today, I've concluded.

Spoiler for Light's characterization, manga vs. anime:

Hey, did Animanda use the phrase "bumping off the bad guys" out of curiosity?
Old 2006-10-09, 19:36   Link #271
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I could've sworn Light did laugh to himself (nervously or otherwise) at least a few times in Chapter 1. Do I need to go back and read it again?
Old 2006-10-09, 19:38   Link #272
myopius

"Nervously or otherwise" is correct. It's one small panel on p. 12, however, that's the laugh I'm referencing.
Old 2006-10-09, 19:52   Link #273
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
Hey, did Animanda use the phrase "bumping off the bad guys" out of curiosity?
You mean when Ryuk asks Light why he only wrote the cause of death for that one guy who got hit by the truck? No, they didn't. Instead, they did:

"No matter how stupid people are, they'll eventually realize that someone is wiping out these criminals."
Old 2006-10-10, 01:16   Link #274
Codex

Opening images

In the opening theme, there are several images that are allusions to classical art. Does anyone know the name of the piece replicated in the final scene of the opening (looks like an Ascension scene)?
Old 2006-10-10, 09:55   Link #275
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immovable Mind View Post
I'm going to keep on track with this on for sure but I kinda wanna know what to expect of the series. Will it be action like or more story based. Either or other will do fine but I'm just curious, so please fill me in. Excuse me for not googling it out or reading pages of information on this or other fora.
To put it simply,the tension at some moment is incredibly high.I have never felt like this in three years and I have seen a lot in 3 years.There was time where I laughed maniacally like Light because of the tension.So technically it's not an action show but the adrenaline rush is more powerful than any action show.
Old 2006-10-11, 01:28   Link #276
chucky
Always impatient

This episode is pretty flat, compared to the first one.

But.... I have to say..... GO USOPP GO!!!
Old 2006-10-11, 03:42   Link #277
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Maybe this is too early to ask about, but...

How does the Japanese react against Death Note? Is it a hit or not? Especially since it airs at a late hour.
Old 2006-10-11, 05:16   Link #278
Karnot
Banned

It air at a late hour because its not a kiddie show.
Old 2006-10-12, 23:34   Link #279
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
:O

omg! I cant believe I just found out about death note getting an animated series! Im shocked! Ibe been so out of touch of anime news recently T_T this is awesome, I never finished the manga, I only got to the part where

Spoiler:

I don't know why I left it at that, for one part it was the difficulty of getting the manga, scanlations are harder to come by, but also somehow I lose interest in anime in general at that time, now Im going to watch this series, of I go to dl it now!

Oh also, air times of shows are more linked to how "mainstream" or "otakuish" a show is, I guess this is one of the more otaku focused if its aired late. Bottle fairy was also aired pretty late and that wasn't for its content, but its intended audience, other shows a bit more violent or risky like Yami no Matsuei were aired at 6:00 pm if Im not mistaken because is a bit more mainstream, and Naruto is the kind of show that has also a more normal air time because thats as mainstream as you can get in anime.
Old 2006-10-13, 11:38   Link #280
ViVi_bOi

Added DEATH NOTE into Comparison
Closed Thread