AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-02, 12:11   Link #61
chlorine
Weakness maker

Send a message via MSN to chlorine
I hope some of the scenes won't be overwritten with English(overlap layer, not a subtitle under particular places) e.g. overlapping the conversation during the Super Robot War parody in ep18. That would be fine for me(Nadesico american version overlapped too much stuff, making it not as funny as japanese version, though i watch it in Hong Kong and nothing is overlapped in Chinese.(even no subtitles below a particular places like the banner)

p.s. In Hong Kong very few animes are licensed. Including Haruhi, Air and Kanon, furthermore, those licensed cut away quite a lot of fan service scene in order to play in the children time. This is also applied on Death Notes which is being shown right now. Really sad about it.
Old 2007-11-02, 14:57   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, I certainly hope Bandai takes some extra care with *where* they put subtitles.

Since L*S had many scenes where "important stuff" was happening in the bottom inch of the screen -- a lazy 'all subtitles go on the bottom' simply won't work. I'm sure some of the more fanatical remember a number of fansubs where the subtitles slopped on top of the primary focus of a scene.
Old 2007-11-02, 16:33   Link #63
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
a lazy 'all subtitles go on the bottom' simply won't work.
Actually, subtitles have to be on the bottom.

Otherwise they're 'supertitles'

*Runs*
Old 2007-11-04, 15:11   Link #64
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Well, I don't have high hopes for the dubbing, but more than that, I fear what Bandai's marketing strategy is going to be for this. Since the series often references to Haruhi, they may try and market it the same way. I wasn't thrilled with their double-the-price special edition packed will all sorts of incentives I can't or won't use, and I was hoping I wouldn't need such a box to watch it in the broadcast order I prefer. And from what I've seen, the subtitles aren't stellar either. On top of it all, the standard price I've seen for the DVDs (or Bandai's in general) on their own is too high for me to support their quality of work (aside from me being a poor college student who needs to be picky). I only hope they don't get any similar bright ideas for Lucky Star.

Besides - what are they going to do about all of the cultural references? Some of that stuff I had to look up or read up on what others were posting here to fully understand, and I know I'm not alone in that. Maybe commentary as a DVD extra?

Can't say I'm anxiously looking forward to Bandai's release of this. Maybe if I find myself with some more usable money in the near future and I find out they didn't destroy the subtitles, I'll pick it up.
Old 2007-11-05, 20:39   Link #65
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Besides - what are they going to do about all of the cultural references? Some of that stuff I had to look up or read up on what others were posting here to fully understand, and I know I'm not alone in that. Maybe commentary as a DVD extra?

Can't say I'm anxiously looking forward to Bandai's release of this. Maybe if I find myself with some more usable money in the near future and I find out they didn't destroy the subtitles, I'll pick it up.
Well, I have a few DVDs with alternate subtitle tracks that explain certain references or points of interest as they're brought up. I'm thinking that this would be the most logical route to take, leaving in the references and adding these subtitle tracks to it... but then I have to wonder if they'll even be able to do that, given how many cultural references there are...

I'm also wondering how they'll do the "seiyuu" inside jokes. The most obvious example of this is how Aya Hirano does the voice of both Konata and Haruhi. Perhaps they'll get Wendee Lee to play her? I'm actually quite fond of her voice as Haruhi... another issue regarding this is Shiraishi. How will they be able to have an english actor play him and still retain the inside joke that he's played by himself in the original?
Old 2007-11-05, 22:02   Link #66
JustInn14
moo

I just hope the girls don't sound like
Spoiler for ugh!:

How the crap are they going to dub the theme song?!
Old 2007-11-05, 23:57   Link #67
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

>>Lucky Star is licensed

ITT the Eleventh Plague of Egypt.
Old 2007-11-06, 03:14   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oye.... someone brought up Wendee Lee. Not on my hit parade.... but whatever. I'd really prefer they use new talent. The characters are mostly high-schoolers, take the opportunity to find some new voices.
Old 2007-11-06, 05:07   Link #69
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
I'll admit it's been years since I last bought a DVD (*any* DVD, actually ), but I don't believe anybody even dubs the theme songs these days at all. It's still all subbed, correct?

Though we have much to go, we've come a long way since Sailormoon and Cardcaptors.
Old 2007-11-06, 10:01   Link #70
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
I just hope the girls don't sound like
Spoiler for ugh!:

Not one anime have I seen where they dub the theme song.
Old 2007-11-06, 13:26   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, not a single series in my DVD collection dubs the OP/ED - they just sub it.

I've not yet had a chance to see what they did with the SHnY school festival episode with ENOZ+SOS yet.
Old 2007-11-06, 13:47   Link #72
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Bandai sent out the official press release
See it here: http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=1186

Here's hoping it prompts a second Hirano Aya (heart) appearance in the US. I'll go where ever she goes.

MySpace featuring Shiraishi is also open: http://www.myspace.com/luckystardvd
I hate MySpace though. Ugh.
Old 2007-11-06, 13:56   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I just hope if she does, her and the people with her get treated better by whatever con-staff are involved. I'm still really pissed at the clusterf*ck of the Long Beach con in regard to the japanese guests this year. I understand a number of staff tried to make it better but it should never have happened in the first place.

(edit: thanks to W-general for correcting my noun error)

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-11-06 at 15:18.
Old 2007-11-06, 15:14   Link #74
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Quote:
I just hope if she does, her and the people with her get treated better by whatever con-staff are involved. I'm still really pissed at the clusterf*ck of the San Diego con in regard to the japanese guests this year. I understand a number of staff tried to make it better but it should never have happened in the first place.
Do you mean, Long Beach, Los Angeles (instead of "San Diego" - that's Comic Con) and the clusterf*cks at Anime Expo?

But ya, trust me, I am a lot more pissed than most people around here about that because I was actually there for the whole thing and to me it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience squandered by poor staffing and bad planning. *end rant*
Old 2007-11-07, 04:27   Link #75
M.Marangio

The promotional video was also posted on the official Haruhi homepage http://www.asosbrigade.com.
Old 2007-11-07, 04:27   Link #76
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Though its already old news to some, to me, this news was pretty surprising to me, especially since I just bought the last volume of Haruhi in the states today and watched the extras after watching the whole episodes included in the DVD. The clip was dubbed "special teaser" and when I watched it, it said, "If you enjoyed watching Haruhi, you'll enjoy watching this as well..." and it showed the whole scene segment in Lucky*Star when Konata was working at a cosplay cafe and did the whole Hare Hare Yukai dance on stage. I was surprised to see this on the DVD and at the end, it said "coming soon from Kadokawa Pictures USA and Bandai Entertainment."
So that pretty much summed it up for me that Lucky*Star has been licensed...I wonder how Bandai will market this license...the same way with Haruhi with all the special edition packages being released simultaneously with the regular DVD editions?
Though I would think that, in my opinion, Lucky*Star might only appeal to those who are hardcore fans of the show and are really Otakus themselves....casual anime viewers might not find this show appealing to watch due to the heavy references on old anime shows and culture being referred in the show.

Though its good to hear that Lucky*Star has been licensed.
Old 2007-11-07, 12:54   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess the real question is how did Pani Poni Dash do in sales since it is so dense with references that it needed a special guide track when it was released in R1. Lucky*Star comes nowhere near that level of "referitude".
Old 2007-11-07, 12:59   Link #78
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
I guess the real question is how did Pani Poni Dash do in sales since it is so dense with references that it needed a special guide track when it was released in R1. Lucky*Star comes nowhere near that level of "referitude".
Heck, a better question would be how did Excel Saga do in sales when it first came out; since it was the first to have that "guide track."
(I did my duty, did you?)

Old 2007-11-07, 14:50   Link #79
stardf29

I don't think Lucky Star only appeals to otakus; my younger brother is hardly familiar with anime at all (outside of mainstream stuff like Pokémon and a few random titles) and he finds the show very entertaining. I myself only got about 40-50% of the references in the series, but I still really enjoyed it.

Besides, if you ask me, Lucky Star is more about poking fun at life in general, and the multitude of references are more like a bonus.
Old 2007-11-07, 15:01   Link #80
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I guess it was pretty smart of Bandai to include that whole 2min. segment of the Lucky*Star gang going into the cosplay cafe where Konata works and looking at everyone who is cosplaying as Haruhi characters. It's pretty much saying to Haruhi fans, who haven't seen Lucky*Star before, that this show also features Haruhi in it. So I guess DVD sales for Lucky*Star won't be that bad when its released...but I wonder how Bandai will promote the show like how they did with Haruhi...

Compared to Pani Poni Dash, I think both shows have equal amount of random references in it's shows. But I think Bandai will use the "Haruhi" references in Lucky*Star as a selling point.
Closed Thread