AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-12-06, 02:30   Link #81
lighto13
Zero Knight

for first volume sales since 2000, bakemonogatari is at number 1 with madoka at number 2, topping many famous series such as gundam seed & destiny, code geass, kyoto animation series, etc.
this says alot about future potential of SHAFT anime series. i believe if they keep this up, they can completely outrun sunrise and kyoto animation as the best selling studio (they already are as their 2 best shows are number 1 and 2)

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...00#post1922100
lighto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 15:56   Link #82
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

One good thing about SHAFT: They do know what properties make them money, and they do their best to keep it out there.

The rest of the -monogateri series being green-lit to be animated is certainly a move that will keep the money following in. Although it looks like we aren't going to see Kizumonogateri until 2013.

And of course, they also have 3 Madoka movies in the next couple of years too.

And SHAFT being SHAFT, I half wonder what is going to be finished later for Hidamari Sketch X Honeycomb: the animation or the voice work given Yuko Gotou's health(I hope she recovers soon. Autoimmune disease can be tough). I'm still betting on the animation being the last thing to be finished.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 02:45   Link #83
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
One good thing about SHAFT: They do know what properties make them money, and they do their best to keep it out there.
More like Aniplex says you're doing this shit (Monogaratari, Madoka and Hidamari Sketch) and that's it lol.... Aniplex might as well buy them at this stage since non Aniplex produced/funded shows SHAFT have made have been total flops.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 06:51   Link #84
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
More like Aniplex says you're doing this shit (Monogaratari, Madoka and Hidamari Sketch) and that's it lol.... Aniplex might as well buy them at this stage since non Aniplex produced/funded shows SHAFT have made have been total flops.
What about Ef: A tale of memories and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? Neither were funded by aniplex, and both were succesful enough to spawn sequels (in SZS's case numerous sequels)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 16:42   Link #85
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Is it just me or do Shaft and Shinbo seem to have a thing for mentally broken/troubled women? Nozomu's class in SZS is defined by various mental quirks (and I think this intepretation still counts with the ending). Likewise, the girls of the Monogatari series struggle to escape the shadows of their illnesses. Then there's Denpa Onna's Erio and Madoka's cast...'nuff said. (For the last one, feel free to interject possible human trafficking metaphors.)
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 17:05   Link #86
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Don't forget Fate (though Shaft didn't make Nanoha xD)
Old 2012-09-24, 04:16   Link #87
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, though Shinbo did direct Nanoha season 1. I am not sure if he was behind Fate or not, but that would explain a lot since she is quite umm different and imo far superior to the other characters in the series. But this is a talk that deserves its own topic, even if Shinbo and Shaft are heavily linked.

But that's just me; I tend to have a thing for troubled women in anime for whatever reason.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 10:35   Link #88
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wouldn't call Mina Tepes from Dance in the Vampire Bund especially broken or troubled, nor any of the girls in Hidamari Sketch. Yoshinoya-sensei in that show is a ditz, but not "broken."

I don't think Madoka herself fits this characterization either.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 11:20   Link #89
halibonga

SHAFT is arguably my favorite animation studio (along with Kyoani and Madhouse), their animation style is very unique, with all those strange, quick symbolic insert images that could get very confusing for the audience.

seems like they are working on another magical girl anime for fall-winter seasons, maybe Madoka's success inspired them to continue with this genre.
halibonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 12:40   Link #90
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibonga View Post
SHAFT is arguably my favorite animation studio (along with Kyoani and Madhouse), their animation style is very unique, with all those strange, quick symbolic insert images that could get very confusing for the audience.

seems like they are working on another magical girl anime for fall-winter seasons, maybe Madoka's success inspired them to continue with this genre.
after Madoka what is Shaft going to do with the MG genre? Make the MG the villains
Old 2012-09-25, 15:44   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm not really sure I like Shaft....like at all, but the problems I have with them are easily fixable. One is to get at least one other director to use every now and then. I know people love Shinbo, but I find his style of direction to be way to busy and distracting bordering on annoying. I don't understand why he can't give a scene room to breath and has to be constantly breaking them up into really short and quick cuts to different angles and displays of text every few seconds. To me that's not being dynamic, that's just being as I said distracting and it makes it really hard for me to stay focused on the scenes and dialogues that are supposed to be the main pull of most of their shows. I even found this to be a problem with Madoka Magica at times which is probably the first thing by them I've found to be readily watchable in more than small doses at a time.

The other is more personal preference in source material. If I were going to watch more stuff by them I'd prefer it to be more like Madoka Magica and less like Monogatari and with less focus on overtly creepy imagery/themes in general. This means toning it down on the big focus set pieces (several minutes or more) that feature things like little girls bathing and the weird fetishistic stuff scene in the likes of Nisemonogatari in general. Just not at all my cup of tea and Madoka Magica shows that's it's possible to do those angles Shinbo loves and have a little light fanservice without having to absolutely drown an episode in it.

The way it looks though none of this is changing any time soon with the likes of Sasami-San@Ganbarai and it's apparent focus on a slavishly doting brother and his kawaii imouto, but maybe there's something in that Prism Nana one that I could find watchable.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 10:50   Link #92
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I wish they adapt more series like Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru. They adapted the normal series like Denpa Onna To Seishun Otoko which is probably welcome direction. In those type of anime, you couldn't really know Shinbo was directing it because he was really restraining his style. The problem with this studio, they tend to choose a bit too many gimmicky type of anime. It's where many problems with Shaft seems to surface.

I watched most of anime made by Shaft from 2000 and onwards, they seem to be not that good when it comes to directing anime that are mature and deep. While the couple of anime and Puella Magica were as deep as they got and it isn't saying much. In the end, the visuals were the best thing while the characters tend to be hit and miss for me.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 20:27   Link #93
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

There's been a buzz about top-notch director Mizushima Tsutomu making a controversial tweet about animation studios notorious of outsourcing their animations (not just in-betweens but everything) and said that he is against them and noting that such studios should not exist. 2ch and other tweets say this studio is nothing but shaft because they're an outsource machine giving key animations to silver link, sunrise and gainax among others and background arts to studio tulip. Is it ok to outsource everything and claim it YOURS once the production is done? After all, all the animation production costs are from shaft and they're short of people and have no choice. Or is it Mizushima bragging about his latest work (Joshiraku) being 100% J.C Staff and no outsource at all?
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 21:02   Link #94
brocko

Everybody in the industry outsources to each other.

Shaft is probably just the biggest example for it since they're notorious for crapping up production deadlines and need all the help that they can get. Even if most of the animation is still not done by them, they're still the creative forces behind all the storyboards, scene composition, animation direction and all that jazz. The other companies still get listed within the credits anyway, it's just that Shaft is the production studio who put it all together so they get the biggest name plaster.

It's like how companies design a product in one area of the world, but outsources the manufacturing halfway across the globe because it's cheaper or the infrastructure is already there to do so.

If a studio manages to do everything in-house, then great, more power to them. Not every studio is large enough to be able to do so though.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 21:41   Link #95
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Does anyone else think this looks nothing at all like the kind of show I expect SHAFT to produce based on its recent history?

Well, except for the hints of loli yuri, of course, and skirts that lend themselves to "interesting" camera angles.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-30 at 21:51.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 03:05   Link #96
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Even if most of the animation is still not done by them, they're still the creative forces behind all the storyboards, scene composition, animation direction and all that jazz.
Well it can all depend,sometimes the main studio trusts the subcontractor enough to let them have some creative control of the episode.
Not Shaft but still directed by Shinbo, Kyoani was subcontracted for an episode of Soultaker

If you want a more recent example there's shaft getting Madhouse to work on madoka magica ep11, it was storyboarded by Tomohiko Ito (madhouse veteran though directing SAO at A-1 now) and the episode was directed by Kotono Watanabe (who will direct the Madhouse show Btooom! this fall)

Of course in both cases I'm sure Shinbo is still directing and Kyoani and Madhouse couldn't do whatever they wanted but it shows that sometimes subcontract jobs involve more than just key animation.

Also some fun trivia from that blogpost:

Quote:
It’s interesting that they often worked on early shows of directors who are big shots today, such as Seiji Mizushima (UN-GO, Gundam 00), Tsutomu Mizushima (Blood-C, Ika-Musume), Takahiro Omori (Durarara!!, Baccano!), Hiroshi Nishikori (Index, Azumanga Daioh) and so on.
So Tsutomu Mizushima is no exception,though I guess maybe he tries to do as much in house as possible.
Old 2012-10-01, 03:14   Link #97
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_noob View Post
There's been a buzz about top-notch director Mizushima Tsutomu making a controversial tweet about animation studios notorious of outsourcing their animations (not just in-betweens but everything) and said that he is against them and noting that such studios should not exist.
Outsourcing key animation is a pain for the director since it complicates management and potentially impacts the quality of the work. Some of these companies turn in poor work, and the onus is on him/her to fix it in time (if it's even possible.....often, they just have to let it slide, while accepting responsibility for poor quality).

Ideally, a director would want key animation to be done in a single studio and with a consistent staff. Contract employees are easier to manage than freelancers (who often come and go as they please, refuse to animate cuts they aren't interested in, or refuse to do retakes).

Quote:
2ch and other tweets say this studio is nothing but shaft because they're an outsource machine giving key animations to silver link, sunrise and gainax among others and background arts to studio tulip.
It seems that people are quick to blame SHAFT when it comes to dubious management

However, they're by no means the only company to outsource key animation. Madhouse was pretty notorious for it, and some of the smaller studios have no choice but to go that route.

Quote:
Is it ok to outsource everything and claim it YOURS once the production is done?
Is there a big difference? Either way, the studio (as an entity) takes credit for work done by someone's employees, whether its their own or another company's.

You could argue that the studio is getting paid too much to serve as a middleman. However, they also take on final responsibility for the product.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 08:24   Link #98
Westlo
Lets be reality

It's not like we won't know who did the Episode as soon as it airs if not before it thanks to the credits... everyone who wants to knows can look up what 2 episodes of Soultaker KyoAni did as well as their heap of Inuyasha episodes.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 13:42   Link #99
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Does anyone else think this looks nothing at all like the kind of show I expect SHAFT to produce based on its recent history?

Well, except for the hints of loli yuri, of course, and skirts that lend themselves to "interesting" camera angles.
don't let the upbeat op song fool you.

Those girls are probably manic depressive under the control of that abomination bunny. Their goal is to take over the world.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:27   Link #100
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

And with Sasami-san, Shaft's tradition of troubled women continues in earnest. (Hidamari Sketch is the exception to that rule.)
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
studios