Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-02, 00:23   Link #1
SpiffyBiff

Send a message via AIM to SpiffyBiff
Something like Hajime no Ippo

I just finished this series and I will say it is my favorite to date, by far. Nothing I've seen has came as close to being as entertaining as it was.

I'm looking for anything that has the same essence as the show. I tried Baki the Grappler, as I was told it was much like it, and really didn't enjoy it. I was a big fan of the animation/style used in Hajime, and it was the first anime in which I've ever laughed while watching (tried dozens of comedies and never found any funny).

It doesn't necessarily have to be straight up fighting, but I'd prefer something in the same vein.

A few things I'm looking for:

Style/animation
ENJOYABLE characters (a huge part of the show for me)

Occasional light hearted-ness (not completely necessary, just a plus)

Lack of LOLSUPERPOWERLEVELS!!!! like most shonen shows. I know Hajime no Ippo wasn't completely realistic, but the characters worked hard to get where they were, and weren't told "Here is a new ability, here is a new reachable power level!".

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 2008-10-05, 22:41   Link #2
SpiffyBiff

Send a message via AIM to SpiffyBiff
No takers?
Old 2008-10-06, 00:06   Link #3
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I too tried Baki the Grappler after finishing Ippo, hoping it would satisfy and it failed to do so. I hear Ashita no Joe is another boxing anime, haven't gotten around to trying it out though. Thankfully we have a new season of Ippo coming in January, can't wait.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Old 2008-10-10, 12:05   Link #4
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

I would assume u watched the anime, what you could do is catch up the manga. Believe it or not, it was so exciting that i manage to read from chap 1 to the latest chap within 4 days.

The nearest you could get is probably history strongest disciple kenichi. Not as exciting as hajime no ippo imo, but u might take a look at it. The anime arent that bad, but as usual the manga is better and certain fairly important details are taken off for the anime.

hehe ot . . about hajime no ippo, did the anime show the aoki champion fight? i know that theyhad this ova on kimura. That was one of the best and touching fight. I really love kimura and aoki champion challenge match. I teared.
Old 2008-10-30, 06:04   Link #5
Sinanju
Koroshiya

I'd second kenichi, got many similarities to Hajime no Ippo besides one, it's abit more extreme(unrealistic).

If you just want the sport-element from Hajime no Ippo then Prince of Tennis and Major, as they're in top3 sport animes ever right there with Hajime no Ippo.
Old 2008-10-30, 14:20   Link #6
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Initial D, its there...if you don't count driving as a super power. But I will say some of the things seem pretty damn hard to do even after he explains it.
Closed Thread