Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-14, 14:16   Link #81
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is why I take great relish in writing a novel in which technology, biotech and cybernetics are necessary to defeating a great "evil."
You too? The two little stories I wrote for EMDAS pretty much follow the same theme at the core.

Which reminds me, should write an entry for this month, argh!
Old 2011-08-14, 16:23   Link #82
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
The entertainment industry always likes to portray technology, especially biotech and cybernetics, as the next big evil.
Which raises the question, 'why do they like to do that?' Surely exploring the motivations of the individuals who would use (or misuse) some piece of technology would make better material than simply portraying it as 'the next big evil'.

As for the game itself: enjoyed the first; didn't play the second; seriously pondering putting down a deposit on the Augmented Edition for the actual cool swag.

Speaking of the first Deus Ex: did anyone else decide to be a Total Basterd to Maggie Chow by...

Spoiler for Basterdry:
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 19:52   Link #83
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
That's the whole point. The entertainment industry always likes to portray technology, especially biotech and cybernetics, as the next big evil.

This is why I take great relish in writing a novel in which technology, biotech and cybernetics are necessary to defeating a great "evil."
Technology and cybernetics can be evil. See Skynet.

I am thinking that sentient beings should work together, be they AI, cyborgs, normal humans, or ubermensch. Human beings have this touch of empathy, because they are born being what they are and have to find a way to make full use of what they are born with. The rest are either physically or mentally superior, or a potpourri of something of all. There has to be a balance somewhere in between since everyone has flaws.

Spoiler for spoilers:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 23:03   Link #84
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You too? The two little stories I wrote for EMDAS pretty much follow the same theme at the core.

I love biotech and cybernetics myself. I'd always be up for pseudo-immortality. Even though it's science fiction, I'd see it as a way for humans to realistically extend ourselves far beyond our current limits which can't be a bad thing if it results in positive progress, a somewhat naive or romantic view of mine to be sure. I'd see religious or moral views against such tech to be a step backwards. Although I don't think it's so cut and dry when it comes to moral issues of cloning (which I won't go into since here isn't the place for it, nor do I really have anything against it).
Old 2011-08-15, 00:19   Link #85
soccerghoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Speaking of the first Deus Ex: did anyone else decide to be a Total Basterd to Maggie Chow by...

Spoiler for Basterdry:
Deus Ex is one of my favorite games ever because besides being awesome there's also like 500 different ways to be a total bastard to everyone in the game. Has anyone ever done the glitch to make all of UNATCO go insane and attack the vacuum cleaner? You can even be a dick to the freaking vacuum cleaner and still get away with it. I hope Human Revolution is not only good but has plenty of interesting glitches too. Breaking open-ended games like this is one of my favorite things about them.

On the talk of biotech and cybernetics, the futuristic and cyberpunk theme is another thing I like about Deus Ex. Also is it crazy if I think some of the technology (particularly the non-nano augmentations) are actually pretty plausible and on their way to reality? Same goes for some of the stuff in Ghost in the Shell. I swear if stuff like cyberbrains becomes real I'll be first in line.
soccerghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 01:17   Link #86
Mr Hat and Clogs

I think that's what they were aiming for with the near future setting. Because we already are developing prosthetics (not as advanced as Sarif though) we can relate quite easily to what was shown and it seems plausible for something only a decade or two away.

The arms or legs aren't that completely far fetched. For example, wasn't there some motorised prosthetic hand used last year or something? I think the eyes would be the biggest breakthrough though, followed by the legs. Either way it's not that difficult to see a connection for what might be, when you compare it to what we are just making now.

(cyber-brain want)
Old 2011-08-15, 02:15   Link #87
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I love biotech and cybernetics myself. I'd always be up for pseudo-immortality. Even though it's science fiction, I'd see it as a way for humans to realistically extend ourselves far beyond our current limits which can't be a bad thing if it results in positive progress, a somewhat naive or romantic view of mine to be sure. I'd see religious or moral views against such tech to be a step backwards. Although I don't think it's so cut and dry when it comes to moral issues of cloning (which I won't go into since here isn't the place for it, nor do I really have anything against it).
The "artificial" issue present in my novel does involve romance...

Short version: Main character is a fighter pilot who modified and tweaked her ship's AI core in order to perform better. Said AI core developed a very human personality as a result. Pilot ended up becoming emotionally involved with said AI personality, who was rapidly starting to become very human. Story concerns alien invasion, humanity engaged in a massive, centuries-long war against the Gray, and the main character's issues, relationships and a plot to betray humanity to their enemies.

It's a work in progress, and I haven't really made much progress on it recently, but I'd say I'm about 50% done with the rough draft part. There are some bits and pieces of it posted in the thread linked in my signature.
Old 2011-08-15, 04:04   Link #88
Mr Hat and Clogs

Mmmm sounds interesting, that'll be published at that link in your sig?

Mmm, less then 10 days to go.. rawr.
Old 2011-08-15, 07:50   Link #89
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:

Short version: Main character is a fighter pilot who modified and tweaked her ship's AI core in order to perform better. Said AI core developed a very human personality as a result. Pilot ended up becoming emotionally involved with said AI personality, who was rapidly starting to become very human. Story concerns alien invasion, humanity engaged in a massive, centuries-long war against the Gray, and the main character's issues, relationships and a plot to betray humanity to their enemies.

It's a work in progress, and I haven't really made much progress on it recently, but I'd say I'm about 50% done with the rough draft part. There are some bits and pieces of it posted in the thread linked in my signature.
I cannot help but think of Master Chief and Cortana, along with the covenant when I hear that.

I think the whole reason why people dislike technology like that and portray it as evil is because large corporations are already evil enough as is, when they have electronic access to your brain that's not helping in the slightest.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 08:22   Link #90
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

The storyline sounds alot like Macross Plus.

I wish Deus Ex would have a flight simulator where you are a VTOL pilot with enhancements - it's be cool to have a retinal targeter instead of having to rely on the helmet HUD.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-08-15, 18:03   Link #91
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I think that's what they were aiming for with the near future setting. Because we already are developing prosthetics (not as advanced as Sarif though) we can relate quite easily to what was shown and it seems plausible for something only a decade or two away.

The arms or legs aren't that completely far fetched. For example, wasn't there some motorised prosthetic hand used last year or something? I think the eyes would be the biggest breakthrough though, followed by the legs. Either way it's not that difficult to see a connection for what might be, when you compare it to what we are just making now.

(cyber-brain want)
The difference between nowadays prothestics and the fictional future counterpart in the world of DE3 is that the former draws its demand from people incapacitated by misfortune or nature itself - Those are medical devices.

As for the DE augmentations, the non-medical context can already be seen in the term itself, they don't just exist to replace what was once lost but to replace parts that are otherwise fully healthy and functional for the sole reason to enhance their performance. Their demand comes from people wanting to best other people, not through one's own natural trait or talent and effort but through money. In this context these devices are becoming mere commodities. If you can afford it you'll be intellectually and physically superior to other people - The entire human evolution controlled by commerce. I find that rather scary than compelling but that's exactly the kind of atmosphere the live action trailer wants to convey.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 21:22   Link #92
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I wish Deus Ex would have a flight simulator where you are a VTOL pilot with enhancements - it's be cool to have a retinal targeter instead of having to rely on the helmet HUD.
"Remember - you must think in Russian."
Old 2011-08-15, 23:04   Link #93
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Especially amusing if you've played the original Deus Ex and Invisible War, in which people with cybernetic parts are considered inferior to those with nanotech augmentations.
Old 2011-08-16, 02:19   Link #94
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Especially amusing if you've played the original Deus Ex and Invisible War, in which people with cybernetic parts are considered inferior to those with nanotech augmentations.
I never played the original. But really? Wow. What does it mean by nano-tech augmentation though? Like just nano-machines into your bloodstream and you get magically more powerful? Or does it mutate you on a genetic level and replace your cells or something more insane?
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 02:21   Link #95
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I never played the original. But really? Wow. What does it mean by nano-tech augmentation though? Like just nano-machines into your bloodstream and you get magically more powerful? Or does it mutate you on a genetic level and replace your cells or something more insane?
Play the original.

Right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/

Old 2011-08-16, 08:40   Link #96
Firefly00

The Cyberpunk 2020 RPG setting plays with this(gets a bit wild in the Cybergeneration divergent timeline), as does Adam Warren's treatment of the Dir- ah, Lovely Angels. While not to my knowledge explicitly stated, I suspect it also crops up in Halo (the Spartan-II physiological enhancement regimen) and Gunslinger Girl of all places (see, what the Social Welfare Agency puts the girls through).
Old 2011-08-16, 08:49   Link #97
Skane
Anime Snark

They totally deserved their success. I don't even play Fighting-games, but when I compare the content alone, the difference is mind-boggling.

Cheers.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:23   Link #98
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Spoiler for spoilers:

Quote:
Play the original.

Right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/

You wouldn't believe me if I said I completed the whole game with only the riot prod and assault baton (and occasionally a LAW and Scrambler grenade).

Old 2011-08-16, 18:57   Link #99
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Spoiler for spoilers:
I have never been a fan of the stealth mods, be it vs bio or mech. Kinda takes the fun from a stealth game to have a pretty much failsafe stealth device. For me stealth means hiding, waiting, watching, planing and then hitting, not to pop a button, walk up to the enemy and have next to no menacing consequences before and after the kill except for energy running out. The only real challenge is when bio and mech are in the same place since you can have only one kind of stealth.

Also watched some leaked beta footage and have to say it looks really good overall. Really glad the xp system is back I'm just wondering: Is there any other use for experience points other than to get a Praxis after a certain amount?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 20:04   Link #100
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

The stealth camo system drains energy extremely quickly and its energy that just doesn't recharge so you can use it again a minute or two later so its really something you either use for very short bursts (to traverse through lasers or between cover while under fire) or something you use as a last resort so it doesn't really offer a fun sapping advantage.

Its actually quite interesting since you might use up all your energy sneaking into a location to complete an objective and not have means to recharge it there and then meaning you have to be pretty adaptive to get out again undetected.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote