AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-21, 23:00   Link #1921
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow X View Post
I really wish they animate Hourglass instead of this.
I'm picking up this old comment because it express exactly what I think. I hope this gets animated after this season.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-01-22 at 00:30.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 23:06   Link #1922
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
leokiko: Wishing for it won't make it happen, ESPECIALLY since it only comes out once a month. And when was uncertainly not fun? Heck, speculah is half the fun in series like this. How everything fits and how things relate to each other... It gives people something to chew on, for those who like to figure out the details of a world setting.
Old 2012-01-21, 23:20   Link #1923
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
leokiko: Wishing for it won't make it happen, ESPECIALLY since it only comes out once a month. And when was uncertainly not fun? Heck, speculah is half the fun in series like this. How everything fits and how things relate to each other... It gives people something to chew on, for those who like to figure out the details of a world setting.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean the ''uncertain'' part, just the adaptation of the manga. Ok, then at least let me wish for it. Specially since it COULD easily happen after this one in form of OVAS.
Old 2012-01-21, 23:50   Link #1924
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Chapter 5 of the manga was whack, nothing really happened. The manga has awesome character development, but we have yet to see how the Silvius was built and how Tatiana got to be the captain. I needs to pick up the pace.

As what may happened in the next episode, since both Exiles aren't likely to attack each other they could just get neutralize and if Ades is smart enough they can take advantage and move around Glacies and proceed towards Glacies territory.

Dyan did say that there are more Glacies bases and we don't know how small or big they might be. It makes me wonder why would Glacies stronghold be so close to the border?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 00:11   Link #1925
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post

Dyan did say that there are more Glacies bases and we don't know how small or big they might be. It makes me wonder why would Glacies stronghold be so close to the border?
Maybe it's just a border outpost. The main bases may have stronger force. And we don't see any Glacis battleship yet.
Old 2012-01-22, 01:54   Link #1926
leokiko

The first half was average at best. It did a lot right (animation, awesome battles, great soundtrack), but failed character-wise (Fam is stupid and I can point out a few posts here to prove my statement). Chapter 9 was the peak of it. Fam was the one that messed up and ignored Giselle's feelings, but in the end, GISELE was the one that had to apologize? That was uber ridiculous and the worst chapter in the series.

The highlight was the appearence of a few characters from the old LE, which brings me to my point: The second half have everything to be AWESOME. I mean, assuming you guys are right, and Turan will win and they target Anatoray afterwards, this means all of our beloved characters WILL play a MAJOR role in it (Al, Tatiana, Dio, Vincent...). Hell, even Claus and Lavie may appear, since, as it was already pointed out, he holds the four Mysterias to unlock the Exile through Al. Well, at the same time, Fam will obviously have her own backstory once we find out who she really is/who are her true parents and all.

Anyway, another thing I hope happens in the second half: I want Fam to be COMPLETELY owned. I want her confidence crushed at her own game so that she can at least TRY to face the reality before her.
Old 2012-01-22, 02:38   Link #1927
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Anyway, another thing I hope happens in the second half: I want Fam to be COMPLETELY owned. I want her confidence crushed at her own game so that she can at least TRY to face the reality before her.
You people are evil and sadistic, no wonder Key/Visual Arts keeps making those horribly depressing stories.

Fam's wide-eyed idealism may seem unrealistic, but it's one of the only things left which presents hope for a future that at this moment, isn't looking so bright even if Ades is defeated.
You got the Ades who'll probably still resent the Exiles, the Exiles who despise their Ades "oppressors;" you have known weapons of mass destruction in high orbit, even if they are all destroyed, their legacy is enough to warrant research and development (I doubt poor Alvis will ever find peace, as she's essentially a walking detonation charge and even if Exile is destroyed, a valuable research subject); shattered families and lives one bullet away from another war.

Any manner or even the perception of "injustice" can be enough to set someone on a pointless, but destructive path; a flaw with true freedom, is that occasionally that freedom involves denying another of theirs. Who ever is left over can try individually to hold everything together, but unless Fam's idealistic Utopian dream or Luscina's cold one-world order becomes reality; war will always be around the corner.

People seems to think the story will be solved by a stereotypical dramatic fight sequence, where the villain dies and everyone is happy. The day Fam's dream is completely crushed is when the last glimmers of light in the Last Exile universe become utterly extinguished. Reality is constantly harsh and cruel; without idealism, the suicide rate in real life would be significantly higher.

Last edited by LystAP; 2012-01-22 at 02:53. Reason: sentence arrangement
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 02:55   Link #1928
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
Maybe it's just a border outpost. The main bases may have stronger force. And we don't see any Glacis battleship yet.
They may not have mastered large scale claudia units. Based on past history, Ades Federation usually attacks the nation's capital i.e. nation's "headshot".
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 03:14   Link #1929
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
The fact that Anatoray's Exile is so different than the others still makes me wonder if it's the most advance one ever built or that it has the ability to command all other Exiles.

Next episode is just going to be a showdown between two Exiles and it's very likely that they'll just destroyed each other. I doubt that Turan's Exile is any better than Glacies Exile.

We still haven't seen Vasant's fleet yet, that's the fifth fleet right? I wonder if she'll break away from the Ades along with Sadri?
Anatoray's Exile = "Last Exile"...
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 03:26   Link #1930
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
I don't think the base in this episode being merely an outpost.
Spoiler for Fam Episode 13:

This scenario has a number of other advantages for the series:
Spoiler:

Now then, onto personal impressions.

I found that certain scenes in this episode really vindicated the then questionable decision to show Fam and co relaxing with Dyan in Glacies. Referring back for the moment:

Spoiler for Fam Episode 12:

This sets up quite well for episode 13.
Spoiler for Fam Episode 13:

I think Dyan is fast becoming my favorite Last Exile character, despite her short appearance. Sorry Dio, but there's only so much your badassery and comical behavior can do for you. Maybe if Claus returns as your foil, but even then it's not a sure call.
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 03:54   Link #1931
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

BTW, i noticed the fansubs called the Glacian Rocket fighters "The Winged Priestess" while the Animax subs called them "The Winged Witches".

So what's your opinion about this?
Old 2012-01-22, 04:08   Link #1932
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
MrTerrorist: The former is likely more accurate; the latter just makes the World War-II reference to the Russian Night Witches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches) closer though.
Old 2012-01-22, 04:28   Link #1933
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
BTW, i noticed the fansubs called the Glacian Rocket fighters "The Winged Priestess" while the Animax subs called them "The Winged Witches".

The Japanese track says "miko," which I presume is the standard miko 巫女. This is where the fansub gets priestess from. The Nico sub also uses "priestess." Not sure what the Russian says.

If the Russian does use witch, one thing the Nico/Funi sub could have done was to subtitle what Dyan said and what Millia translated differently, but it might be inaccurate to show her as having imperfect grasp of Glacien, even if it would be realistic.
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 04:33   Link #1934
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I think Winged Witches is correct since the line was spoken in Russian and not in Japanese. I think the Japanese subs use priestess because the idea of people seeing witches as their protectors is absurd. Another is "Winged Witches" sounds badass.
Old 2012-01-22, 04:47   Link #1935
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
The first half was average at best. It did a lot right (animation, awesome battles, great soundtrack), but failed character-wise (Fam is stupid and I can point out a few posts here to prove my statement). Chapter 9 was the peak of it. Fam was the one that messed up and ignored Giselle's feelings, but in the end, GISELE was the one that had to apologize? That was uber ridiculous and the worst chapter in the series.

I got into the characters more so I agree on your things you said it got right, but thought they did better than you did on the characters (on Fam's side I really like the new characters like the main 3 and Giselle's parents and the couple of Silvius crew members we've seen a nice amount of and the old characters have been great and are totally delivering like Dio, Tatiana, Alister and even Vincent already had a couple of nice scenes in his recent arrival and Al just showed up so it's too early, most of the characters were quite successful on both sides for me even the enemy generals, Sadri's been awesome, Vasant's been very well done and I think they've done good with Orang, Sorush and Kayvan's quite likeable as the soldier and lovable stuff like letting Sara sit up on his shoulder and his oldschool attitude, which I expected to be one of the hardest things to get right and Luscinia and Alauda have done their job upping the ante and Guild mystery extremely well in the story and battles, and Millia and Giselle I've enjoyed seeing go through their various trials and Fam had some really strong character moments in 2-3 while they were establishing her, especially 2-3 and the several sides of her it showed, and several more times helping Millia start out and the thread of helping the Glacies pilot leading to her connecting with Dian, and her determination in the cockpit at various times throughout the first cour that made me like her more than you got from it), so I thought the first half was quite a bit better than that especially with the really strong dramatic story and pacing starting first 4 eps or so and then again in the quickly escalating 6-12 outside of the recap ep. I think all of the other characters had very good first halves but while I still like Fam quite a bit I do agree though with Vena that Fam is the one character that was the most static and that perhaps didn't get enough variety in the first half (which is ashame as I think it would have addressed some of these issues and episode 3 did such a good job showing her other sides and how she's definitely not stupid or anything like that, I guess they should have capitalized on that again with some more quiet moments for her alone to contemplate events in private sprinkled around somewhere in the second half of the first cour.).

I can understand the Giselle thing to some extent though as while I could see why they chose what they did, it's more subtle and different, I do think that it would have benefited Fam's character in the eyes of viewers as the lead and the perceived character growth in the first half for her to be fully humbled in this exchange rather than break down before it hit it's apex of drama because Fam realized Gisey thought that she felt like she'd be able to replace her, which caused Fam to scream it out that she never thought anything like that which made them both sad rather than Fam needing to console Giselle and the scream put Giselle on the path to realizing that ofcourse Fam would never replace her. However judging from you and Vena I do think that they perhaps indeed made a mistake here and should have went the traditional path as it would have gotten even more people on Fam's side if she'd had to apologize rather than Gisey figuring it out for herself midway through the episode, which probably would have likely made a big impact.

I wouldn't be against it, I think that did well for both Giselle and Millia's growth/demonstration of character, both Giselle and Millia have now both faced a crushing moment where they're completely downcast (Millia's big one ep 2/3 and perhaps again two eps ago with her sister, Giselle's gradual one 7-8/9, with big moments in each of the three).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah I responded really really late lol.

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-22 at 06:55.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 05:58   Link #1936
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

In Russian, they say "winged goddess" all the way, and it feels like they refer to a guardian deity rather than to the pilots/aircraft.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 06:42   Link #1937
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

On the subject of Fam's disconnect from the realities of war...

I would be lying that Fam is more often than not somewhat disconnected from reality. There have been many instances where Fam had to look at reality straight in the face, but still managed to smile. This doesn’t mean she’s unable to realize things happening around her. We can see that she knows and understands what’s happening everywhere else in the world, but I think that’s precisely the problem here: so far it’s happening everywhere else, and hasn’t hit her personally where it counts. The losses felt by the sky pirates in a previous episode did hurt Kartoffel, but no one she really knew died as a result, and in the middle of battle she found a way out of the ambush. She has yet to experience a no-win situation that resulted in losses to lives close to her, in events that would directly alter her life, if not literally put her in a real life or death situation. In other words, she has yet to experience the horrors of war on a personal level. When she does, perhaps her overall attitude might only shift a little, but her approach will change a lot.

Anyway...

Scorched Earth
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:05   Link #1938
Marked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
In Russian, they say "winged goddess" all the way, and it feels like they refer to a guardian deity rather than to the pilots/aircraft.
They refer Exile as "winged goddess", pilots/vanships refered as "winged priestess".
Marked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:22   Link #1939
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked1 View Post
They refer Exile as "winged goddess", pilots/vanships refered as "winged priestess".
Not in Russian, no.
"Priestess" in Russian would be "zhritza", whereas they only use "boginya" (=goddess).
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:45   Link #1940
Marked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Not in Russian, no.
"Priestess" in Russian would be "zhritza", whereas they only use "boginya" (=goddess).
Ep. 13 second "Russian" phrase "Krylatie zhritci razobiut avangard Federacii" cleary refering to pilots/vanships. Just check it.
Marked1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction