AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-30, 10:44   Link #2841
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
meh they can make Alto back because his not even killed he just got teleported on another place, i mean the point of the vajra is to communicate and teleport no matter how long the spaces are lol, they got Ranka to communicate with the vajra through her song and now with Sheryl getting the blood of ranka she can have that power to communicate with the vajra too and its not so far fetch that Alto will be converted to a vajra blood anyway now that his living with the vajra society lol
Dude... punctuation is your FRIEND! Embrace it, don't shun it!

Anyway...watching the subs now. Not how I would've done (err...WILL do it, eventually, God willing...) but it's nice to be able to understand the scenes that eluded me before.

However, all things being equal, it was more fun to watch it unsubtitled, but with a theater full of sobbing teenage girls. I guess I'm just funny that way.
Old 2011-10-30, 11:00   Link #2842
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Before some of us start posting interviews, some people might find this bit of info relevant for this film:

On some of the strange properties of fold quartz, from the staff/cast commentary for episode 25, with Kawamori Shouji, Nakamura Yuuichi, Endo Aya and Nakajima Megumi.
Interesting enough, Fold Quartz were in use during the mid 2040s for the exact purpose they were in Frontier, and first mentioned in Macross VFX-2. They weren't called Fold Quartz back then though, but more elaborately as Super Dimension Resonance Crystals (超空間共振水晶体).

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-10-30, 11:10   Link #2843
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, with "moral downfall" I actually meant that Sheryls decision to tacitly go along with Graces plan to harvest Rankas organs is ethically objectively wrong. Her getting depressed in the series after being told that she would die is an event which affected her negative in an emotional way, while her not immediately rejecting the idea of killing Ranka for her organs is something which is very reprehensible on an ethical level.

And I think that interpreting Sheryls conflicting emotions about the whole idea during the concert to a "Who is more worthy of living?" question is not the right way to go. For me it clearly was Sheryl deciding about if she'd really would do something so horrible to someone who she considered her friend, i.e. she was actively deciding if she'd sacrifice her moral center to live.

There is of course the aspect of her long-term relationship with Grace to consider... after Grace told her about that horrific plan, Sheryl had to weigh the factor that telling others about that plan would mean the end of Grace. In fact, those accusations of espionage from the first movie, in which Sheryl clearly wasn't involved with, turned out to be totally true in the end. So she had a lot to ponder.

Of course, as a big Sheryl fan, I would have preferred for Sheryl to reject the very idea of killing Ranka immediately, but given that Grace basically was under complete control of the conspirators, it could very well have meant that Grace would have snapped Sheryls neck right there.
I'm rather glad I'm not the only one who's bothered by all that.

Personally I've been starting to feel its actually a case of bad writing. Even though movie Sheryl is a different character I have trouble imagining her feeling anything but intense revulsion and horror at the idea of them taking Ranka's organs and putting them in her, yet she doesn't seem to have that kind of reaction. And I don't think the whole issue of what Grace might do really works as an excuse. I think the whole organs thing was probably the first big clue Sheryl had about the Galaxy conspiracy's nastiness so I don't think she'd really consider the possibility of what Grace would do to her if she objected.

I kind of feel like things would have worked a lot better if the writer had come up with a good excuse for Galaxy to kidnap Ranka to personally fight the Vajra or something. If the issue had been more like "I don't want my friend to lose her freedom, but I don't want to betray my family either" then I could have sympathised. The fact that Sheryl failed to even object to what Grace told her here is a big problem for me though -one that really prevents me from being able to properly enjoy the other aspects of her character.

On another note, I tend to really dislike it when people keep harping on about the same issue over and over or object that something is bad writing and the writers should have handled things differently... yet here I am doing it myself. :lol:
Old 2011-10-30, 11:24   Link #2844
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm rather glad I'm not the only one who's bothered by all that.

Personally I've been starting to feel its actually a case of bad writing. Even though movie Sheryl is a different character I have trouble imagining her feeling anything but intense revulsion and horror at the idea of them taking Ranka's organs and putting them in her, yet she doesn't seem to have that kind of reaction. And I don't think the whole issue of what Grace might do really works as an excuse. I think the whole organs thing was probably the first big clue Sheryl had about the Galaxy conspiracy's nastiness so I don't think she'd really consider the possibility of what Grace would do to her if she objected.
I agree with you, but at the same time...I get the feeling that if they HAD harvested Ranka's organs to save Sheryl, most of the fans here at Animesuki would've gone apeshit with delight.

Again, maybe it's just me.
Old 2011-10-30, 12:08   Link #2845
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Again, maybe it's just me.
It's just you. God, Gubaba, you're kinda sick, you know?

Old 2011-10-30, 12:11   Link #2846
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I guess so. I mean, it's not like anybody here HATES Ranka or anything, right...?
Old 2011-10-30, 12:11   Link #2847
Tak

Quote:
And here I was thinking how much money could be made from...

Oh wait...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-10-30, 12:44   Link #2848
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

LOL at Commie putting "Griffithburg" instead of "Griffith Park"

Again...

(View these quick, before Moncikoma comes along and pretends that these photos are HIS, not mine...)
Old 2011-10-30, 12:46   Link #2849
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I guess so. I mean, it's not like anybody here HATES Ranka or anything, right...?
Not like you, who'd be happy for her to meet such a gruesome fate. Tsc, tsc...

Old 2011-10-30, 12:49   Link #2850
Tak

Quote:
Hey, if anything gruesome should happen, make sure profit is involved.

- Tak

Old 2011-10-30, 12:50   Link #2851
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Of course, there's always that...

Old 2011-10-30, 12:50   Link #2852
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
BURN THE GREEN!! QUEEN SHERYL RULES ALL!!

(Surely I'm not the ONLY person who's said this, right?)
Old 2011-10-30, 12:51   Link #2853
teelatsuki

I don't see that problem with Sheryl, all her actions point to her ultimately being unable to take ranka's life to keep on singing, but considering her situation she couldn't state it right out, after all a lot of things hapened between receiving that information and getting imprisioned, most likely she didn't say anything so Grace assumed she agreed.

That's my take on it anyway I could be wrong, it's just that I'm unable to see Sheryl as someone who would do that especially when later she saved Ranka's life in exchange for her own (well as far as she knew).
Old 2011-10-30, 12:54   Link #2854
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
I don't see that problem with Sheryl, all her actions point to her ultimately being unable to take ranka's life to keep on singing, but considering her situation she couldn't state it right out, after all a lot of things hapened between receiving that information and getting imprisioned, most likely she didn't say anything so Grace assumed she agreed.

That's my take on it anyway I could be wrong, it's just that I'm unable to see Sheryl as someone who would do that especially when later she saved Ranka's life in exchange for her own (well as far as she knew).
So, again (and to make my point explicit)...Sheryl's FANS wanted Ranka dead...but if Sheryl HERSELF wanted Ranka dead, that would be crossing some sort of line, right?

Old 2011-10-30, 12:56   Link #2855
teelatsuki

Quote:
So, again (and to make my point explicit)...Sheryl's FANS wanted Ranka dead...but if Sheryl HERSELF wanted Ranka dead, that would be crossing some sort of line, right?

Somehow yes, after all movieRanka doesn't deserve it, if this was in the series I would be all over it XD
Old 2011-10-30, 13:03   Link #2856
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Somehow yes, after all movieRanka doesn't deserve it, if this was in the series I would be all over it XD
Well...thank you for being honest.
Old 2011-10-30, 13:03   Link #2857
Tak

Quote:
BURN THE GREEN!! QUEEN SHERYL RULES ALL!!

(Surely I'm not the ONLY person who's said this, right?)
No no, allow me...

KILL THE INSECTS!! BURN THE VAJRA!! PURGE THE GREEN!!

Success is measured in blood, and life is her majesty's currency! To admit defeat is a blasphemy against the Empress!

- Tak (We jellin'?)

Old 2011-10-30, 13:05   Link #2858
teelatsuki

Quote:
Well...thank you for being honest.
Hey I hated seriesRanka with pasion and seriously could not understand why someone could like her, and still do actually. But I like movieRanka she is like a totally different character so is hard to hate on her.
Old 2011-10-30, 13:08   Link #2859
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Hey I hated seriesRanka with pasion and seriously could not understand why someone could like her, and still do actually. But I like movieRanka she is like a totally different character so is hard to hate on her.
Sheryl and Alto are different, too, though, right? As are Michel, Klan, Luca, Nanase, and Grace.
Old 2011-10-30, 13:11   Link #2860
Tak

Quote:
Sheryl and Alto are different, too, though, right? As are Michel, Klan, Luca, Nanase, and Grace.
Michel and Klan are consistent, imo. Nanase? ... ... not even ONE line. Luca? Still same-old shota jailbait.

- Tak

Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song