AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-06, 02:12   Link #281
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I never noticed they even had a dvd for dubs... Let alone even knew the dubs were official...
the dubs are official. The DVDs however aren't sold in stores. Seems you can only buy them from a stores online site.
Old 2010-09-06, 10:43   Link #282
Tomoya Okazaki
I hate this town

well they dubbed them on netflix
Old 2010-09-07, 19:31   Link #283
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Seriously, dubs need to stop trying to voice small Japanese high school girls with soft voices using large, middle-aged American/Canadian women speaking with ridiculous falsettos.
>Implying that's not how it's done in Japan

Quote:
Other than some big-budget films and Studio Ghibli stuff, no dub uses experienced or skilled voice actors. They use low-rent unknowns who can't get any other jobs, because that's the reality of anime voice acting in the West. It pays really shitty.
Same can be said of the Japanese industry.
The big guys go do Toku and Jdramas for attention because they can actually be seen. It's rare for an already established A-lister to go to anime.
And the only reason the big popular seiyuu get popular in the first place is if they branch out and do CDs or Live-Action. Which really isn't the case with most seiyuu.

Quote:
It's different in Japan. There's not a stigma on this kind of work there, so you naturally get better talent.
No, you don't. They're really not that great.

Quote:
And seriously, I don't even want to think about Asuka's voice actress. My brain is still permanently scarred from seeing the convention photos of that shriveled-up old hag dressed in the NGE school uniform...
That's pretty rude to Tiffany Grant, you know...

And once again...
>Implying that's not how it is in Japan
Old 2010-09-10, 01:12   Link #284
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm not familiar enough with the Japanese language to tell "kinda decent" from "really good," I'll admit. It sounds far less silly coming from the Japanese voice actors, perhaps because I lack this familiarity.

Unfortunately for dub companies, I am familiar enough with English to do that.

When the dub companies can do as good a job with a dub as Valve did with Half-Life 2, I'll bite.
Old 2010-09-10, 12:58   Link #285
Mute
エアコンを止めろ!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Mute
I watched some videos of it on youtube, and I gotta say none of the voices match the personalities of the characters IMO.

Then again, that could just be me being picky because I've watched Clannad at least 3 times. :/
Old 2010-09-10, 14:54   Link #286
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
I'm not familiar enough with the Japanese language to tell "kinda decent" from "really good," I'll admit. It sounds far less silly coming from the Japanese voice actors, perhaps because I lack this familiarity.

Unfortunately for dub companies, I am familiar enough with English to do that.

When the dub companies can do as good a job with a dub as Valve did with Half-Life 2, I'll bite.
I'd suggest watching some jdramas if you want more familiarity with real Japanese voices. The voices you hear in anime fit into a stereotype for that medium much like there are specifically cartoony voices in a lot of Western cartoons. It's a psychological phenomena because you're used to hearing English in a certain way and when you hear it in a medium such as a cartoon you already have preconceived associations with what a normal versus a cartoon voice is like. The same applies to anime except for us outside of Japan anime was probably our first audio exposure to the Japanese language, so how horribly Japanese dubs sound compared to spoken Japanese we would not be able to tell.

Also, for some voice actors you can find their natural voices on radio programs or interviews--there is often quite a bit of fluff between their natural voice and the baseline voice they use for their characters, especially how sterile and articulate their voicework sounds.
Old 2010-09-10, 21:58   Link #287
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Well, my girlfriend is Japanese, and the main difference I can detect between her speaking voice and various anime voice actors is degree of OTT-ness.

When my girlfriend speaks, her tone is rather even and... actually kind of boring. Lacks a lot of the inflection and stress on syllables that her English has. It's definitely different from what I hear on anime, but the difference itself what the issue is.

Anime voice actors sound more natural to me than "normal" people speaking Japanese because there's more inflection, emphasis and stress on the words--oftentimes to the point of hamminess, but it still sounds far less dead than a Japanese news broadcast.

And sounds far less machine-gun than Japanese gameshows.
Old 2010-09-11, 14:50   Link #288
Tomoya Okazaki
I hate this town

when did this turn into a Japanese girlfriend crises?
Old 2010-09-13, 00:55   Link #289
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoya Okazaki View Post
when did this turn into a Japanese girlfriend crises?
lol, I like this guy

Really, it doesn't matter whether or not that's the way they do it in Japan...like, at all. It's just plain weird for American audiences to have to listen to little Susie's grandma from down the street voice Kyou. They may have suffered from a lack of talent at the time, I'm not sure, but once you start hearing voice cracks, the "young girl" facade turns from "almost bearable" into a complete joke.
Old 2010-09-13, 09:28   Link #290
Baru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
It's just plain weird for American audiences to have to listen to little Susie's grandma from down the street voice Kyou. They may have suffered from a lack of talent at the time, I'm not sure, but once you start hearing voice cracks, the "young girl" facade turns from "almost bearable" into a complete joke.
Shelley Calene-Black is only 31... actually younger than Kyou's seiyuu...
Plus she's been doing anime voice acting for like 10 years, so she has plenty of talent.

I'll admit at first I was a bit thrown off by the choice of casting her as Kyou. But after listening for awhile I found her take on Kyou to actually fit her pretty well.
The tone she spoke in for the role naturally brought out Kyou's personality, while her voice in general just had an interesting spunk to it that made her place as the bossy-type character stand out, and I think I prefer it over Ryo Hirohashi's standard and generally unmemorable performance as the character...

Well, that's my opinion anyway, not everyone will agree with me...
Old 2010-09-13, 15:36   Link #291
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I wonder who Ryou's dubbed actor is, she sounded overall completely different from what we can imagine Ryou would be featured
Old 2010-09-14, 05:58   Link #292
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I wonder who Ryou's dubbed actor is, she sounded overall completely different from what we can imagine Ryou would be featured
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=44595
^that will answer your question
Old 2010-11-13, 21:59   Link #293
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Exclamation Clannad After Story will be English Dubbed!

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nad-anime-film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
Sentai Filmworks will be dubbing the Clannad After Story series for release next April.

For people who already purchased the series in its subtitled form, Sentai Filmworks will offer an exchange program.

The company originally made this announcement at Izumicon this weekend.
I am so excited ^_^, I'll finally be able to start watching Clannad soon .

(I will not watch S1 Dub until S2 Dub is out)

Last edited by Kid Ryan; 2010-11-15 at 17:24.
Old 2010-11-13, 22:04   Link #294
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Sentai Filmworks sure is going all-out with dubs... Highschool of the Dead, now Clannad Movie, and Season 2?
Old 2010-11-14, 13:01   Link #295
Baru

Excellent news indeed. I can't wait to see the dub
(I actually didn't see the second half of After Story when I was watching it subbed, so I'll be finishing it in dub now)
Old 2010-11-14, 20:50   Link #296
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
Excellent news indeed. I can't wait to see the dub
(I actually didn't see the second half of After Story when I was watching it subbed, so I'll be finishing it in dub now)
Oh that's such a shame. Watching it dubbed is fine if you prefer dubs but I recommend you at least finish After Story subbed after you watch it dubbed since the voice acting was superb in Japanese in my opinion.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-11-15, 16:46   Link #297
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Oh that's such a shame. Watching it dubbed is fine if you prefer dubs but I recommend you at least finish After Story subbed after you watch it dubbed since the voice acting was superb in Japanese in my opinion.
I agree, always watch it subbed first for me, then dubbed later, since I usually like to compare voice actors.
Old 2010-11-16, 04:10   Link #298
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Yah, the cuteness of the Japanese voice actors gets lost in the Englisg dubbing...
Old 2010-11-16, 16:23   Link #299
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Nagisa's dub voice is horrible.

Seriously, dubs need to stop trying to voice small Japanese high school girls with soft voices using large, middle-aged American/Canadian women speaking with ridiculous falsettos.

FIND A FIFTEEN YEAR OLD TO DO IT. UGH.
I watched Clannad in Japanese. I watched it dubbed. I like Nagisa's dubbed voice better. Actually, I like the dub better period. It's not that bad, once you get used to it. I'll admit that the dubbing for Kotomi's breakdown wasn't pulled off that well, but at least we don't have Miley Cyrus voicing Ryou.

Also, most seiyus are older than 15. Expected the US to find 15 year olds to dub when the original doesn't do it doesn't make sense.

Lol at Ryou pronounced Ro. I don't really like her anyways so meh. Akio's english VA is god tier. So amazing. XD

Now then, that ends that. Was After Story released dubbed? I only watched most of it subbed...
Old 2010-11-16, 16:41   Link #300
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikachiru View Post
Now then, that ends that. Was After Story released dubbed? I only watched most of it subbed...
It was announced that the dubbed will be released soon enough.
Closed Thread