AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-02, 05:56   Link #41
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I heard that its specs were equivalent to those of a PS3 or a 360.
That's the usual BS game companies say. They had a high-speced computer running the thing obviously. I'm not saying the engine isn't amazing (it is) but it just won't look as good on current consoles. On the other hand the resolution will be lower so you don't "need" as much detail anyway.
Old 2012-09-02, 09:45   Link #42
Key Board
Carbon

so is David Hayter going to voice older Naked Snake / Big Boss?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 10:09   Link #43
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
so is David Hayter going to voice older Naked Snake / Big Boss?
Is there any reason for him not to be? He should still be the person for the role...

Despite the mullet and graying hair, it didn't look like Big Boss has officially become Sean Connery... yet.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 10:36   Link #44
com_gwp

So many games tried this, the "freedom of tactics" warfare game, but it seems to me it always devolves into hit and runs or shootfests in the end because of dodgy mechanics (Crysis, Far Cry 2, any game under the open-world genre comes immediately to mind).

But MGS. That's a different beast altogether, and it means we'll actually get to see well implemented stealth gameplay, and perhaps finally, true freedom of tactics. I don't have to say, but I'm really looking forward to what Kojima Prod will achieve with Ground Zeroes. If this delivers what it's attempting to achieve and adds even more (Customization/Planning elements ala Peace Walker/Portable Ops) it could very well be one of the best games this generation for me. It's so hard to keep myself from getting too hyped.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 14:33   Link #45
Destined_Fate

Ground Zeroes? Don't they know how angry some people get at the mere mention of the infamous Ground Zero? I can see this causing issues if they keep the name and it starts getting advertised out west.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 14:44   Link #46
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ground Zero is the term used for the surface area closest to where a nuclear bomb was detonated. It's not a specific name used only for the site of the 9/11 terrorist attacks like you're suggesting. (Besides, that is long over, most people have moved on from that incident.)

Considering how nuclear war and deterrence is a huge theme among the Metal Gear Solid series, it makes sense to have a game titled this way.

Plus in MGS' case, it could have a double meaning since the character "Major Zero" has been explained to be the one behind the creation of the Patriot AI system and the "leader" of Cipher, which practically puts him in the main antagonist role for the entire series.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-09-02 at 14:54.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 15:12   Link #47
Key Board
Carbon

I'm guessing there still will be over 9000 people who don't know that and WILL take offense
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-09-02, 15:25   Link #48
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

MGS2's scene with Arsenal Gear crashing into New York city was already censored in the American localization of the game thanks to 9/11. That is understandable though because the game was released relatively around the same time the attacks occurred and people were still very riled up an emotional about it.

In this case, by the time Ground Zeroes is released it's already going be 13 or so years since the attacks happened and several years since it has been properly dealt with. Anyone who is going to take offense to the title of this game at this point are just going to be overreacting, and majorly at that, to something very insignificant.

It's like those weirdos who associate the version names of Pokemon Black & White with races before, y'know, actual colors.
Old 2012-09-02, 16:06   Link #49
Key Board
Carbon

There are people that still bring up Pearl Harbor you know..

even if almost 70 years has passed and they weren't even born at that time
Old 2012-09-02, 17:03   Link #50
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Yup. She definately will.
Awesome thanks! Hope she stay's like she was at the end of Peace Walker. xD

To bad they still call him Snake, the: "From now on, call me Big Boss." part was pretty epic at the end of PW.
Old 2012-09-02, 19:38   Link #51
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Is Snake really back in "FOX" ? Or is he leading "XOF" now ?

Pay especially close to the emblem.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 19:47   Link #52
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

@Frubam. You are welcome. Glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Plus in MGS' case, it could have a double meaning since the character "Major Zero" has been explained to be the one behind the creation of the Patriot AI system and the "leader" of Cipher, which practically puts him in the main antagonist role for the entire series.
Is 'Cipher' something from MGS PW? I haven't played MGS PW yet. I own MGS HD Collection on PS3.

I never played MGS Portable Ops, either. Is it important to play that before MGS PW? Or could I get everything I need out of a plot synopsis? Do I even need to read a plot synopsis for it?
Old 2012-09-02, 19:56   Link #53
holybell84

Big Boss is seriously looking like Chuck Norris there... or Chuck Norris resembles him lol
Old 2012-09-02, 19:57   Link #54
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Big Boss could beat Chuck Norris. Yeah, I said it.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:01   Link #55
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Is 'Cipher' something from MGS PW? I haven't played MGS PW yet. I own MGS HD Collection on PS3.
Yes it is, but it was only mentioned for the first time in the "true" final battle. More will likely be elaborated upon what it actually is in this game. (Cipher is also another word for "Zero".)

Quote:
I never played MGS Portable Ops, either. Is it important to play that before MGS PW? Or could I get everything I need out of a plot synopsis? Do I even need to read a plot synopsis for it?
Portable Ops was the first canon MGS game not to have Hideo Kojima heading the project. (Second being Metal Gear Rising.) While it's never been referenced by any other MGS games so far, though I would still recommend at least watching through all the cutscenes since it's part of the overall story. There's a channel on Youtube with them all in high quality so look there.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-09-02 at 21:25.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 20:25   Link #56
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thanks for the info, SilverSyko.

@Frubam: You can download MGS PW alone on PSN for the PS3 - http://us.playstation.com/games-and-...ition-ps3.html

I'm not 100% sure on that, but that is what it looks like there. If you read the URL (it says PS3 before '.html') and then click on the link, it looks like you can get MGS PW alone, saving some money.

If you are a big MGS fan, getting MGS HD Collection might be worth it. If you don't have MGS 3 Subsistence, MGS HD Collection will give you MGS 3 Subsistence running at 60 FPS and at 720p and MGS 2 Substance is at 60 FPS (so was the PS2 original Sons of Liberty) and it'll be at 720p.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:48   Link #57
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Open world. Whooo...

Assassins Creed style probably.
Old 2012-09-02, 23:55   Link #58
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

There is a rumor that this game is a reboot of the series. This led me to think of this:

Maybe Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes is a cornerstone installment for two Metal Gear sagas. It isn't Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero. It is Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes. With this one title, it can be an installment that is a main installment in the current Metal Gear saga, which starts with MGS 3 and goes on to MGS 4 and MGS Rising, and it is Ground Zero for being a prologue to MG 1 and MG 2, the titles that started the Metal Gear saga. However, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes can also be a cornerstone title that is also for a new saga via a reboot of the series. MGS GZ, with the current saga, bridges MGS PW with MG 1 and MG 2. But then MGS GZ is a reboot of the series, which is built from MGS 3 and MGS PW, and the follow up to MGS GZ will be a start of a new direction; for a new Metal Gear saga, one where the events of MGS 2 and MGS 4 (where the plot gets very archaic) are out of the picture. So it is Ground Zero in that respect.

It could be an installment in the current MG saga and a reboot of the series like how the movie The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton is both a sequel to the other Hulk movie and yet a reboot at the same time.

Here is hoping that MGS GZ is a reboot of the series.
Old 2012-09-03, 00:28   Link #59
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Kojima apologies as well in MGS2 Sons of Liberty for it having a very confusing plot and story.
Old 2012-09-03, 00:57   Link #60
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Kojima apologies as well in MGS2 Sons of Liberty for it having a very confusing plot and story.
I think a reboot of the series that is free from the plot of MGS 2, and thus, MGS 4, would be great.

My friend explained it to me before. This was revealed in interviews. I might have some details missing, but here goes: MGS 2 was basically a big "Fuck you" to Metal Gear fans. He spent some years working on MGS 1, and then it made big success. He wanted to move onto other projects, but he got overwhelming demand from fans to make a Metal Gear Solid sequel. He got involved in MGS 2 but didn't want to work on it, and then he made the plot convoluted and archaic (as well as given it other problems and making Raiden the main character instead of snake) as a "F you" to the players, and he made the storyline archaic and convoluted so that there'd be no way to work with the storyline from there. Of course, Kojima then turned back on that decision and made MGS 3 and then tried to work with the MGS 2 story with MGS 4, and he has been trying to work with the MGS storyline since then.