AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-18, 06:04   Link #581
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2013-03-18, 11:57   Link #582
killer3000ad

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-22, 11:20   Link #583
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Game of Thrones: Why does it inspire such devotion among fans?
Old 2013-03-22, 11:27   Link #584
james0246

^That decal of the Iron Throne for a toilet is great.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 16:37   Link #585
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

It reduces the cheese factor to minimal (I've actually read impassioned defenses of sci-fi and fantasy television/movies that claim cheese is a sacred part...I've personally never particularly cared for it, and I'm a die-hard sci-fi/fantasy geek; it's why I've never been into the SG franchise, except Universe, as an example). Frankly, I feel insulted over all the Xenas, Hercules, etc, out there, that seem to think fantasy aficionados want cheese (not helped by caricatures that spring out of Dragon Con, etc). I'm sure there are those who do, but I like to think there are even more that don't, and it's been so rare to see the "silent majority" so to speak, be spoken to.

The lack of cheese factor also helps immensely in drawing in fans who generally don't give fantasy the time of day.

It doesn't pound you with a moral message. I admit there are more actual adults out there that really do like the white knight character than makes me comfortable, but I think there's even more that got that type of messaging out of their system as children, and don't want to be morally patronized.

It allows that we're not really good people, and so most of the characters in the show resonate at some level with much of the audience.

The acting is generally great (unfortunately, in my eyes, Kit Harrington is to the Game of Thrones cast that Orlando Bloom was to the LotrO cast).

I'm more than a little concerned over the future, since we'll be on book 5 in no time, and Martin's writing speed has been...well...slow would be polite, but I'm certainly going to enjoy the heck out of it while it lasts.

As for the sex angle. Frankly, there was a lot less sex in GoT than say...True Blood, and that was even more true in Season 2, which was downright prudish in the sex category, compared to Season 1, so I think it is being given a bit more weight than it should.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 17:05   Link #586
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post

I'm more than a little concerned over the future, since we'll be on book 5 in no time, and Martin's writing speed has been...well...slow would be polite, but I'm certainly going to enjoy the heck out of it while it lasts.
Book 3 has been split into Season 3 and 4, and while Book 4 and 5 are small enough (in individual stories) to give us 1 season each (though the showrunners could always stretch this out, that is still 4 seasons (about 5 years) before we get to Book 6. The real problem will be Book 7, especially since Martin is thinking about creating a prequel series for HBO.
Old 2013-03-22, 17:22   Link #587
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Book 3 has been split into Season 3 and 4, and while Book 4 and 5 are small enough (in individual stories) to give us 1 season each (though the showrunners could always stretch this out, that is still 4 seasons (about 5 years) before we get to Book 6. The real problem will be Book 7, especially since Martin is thinking about creating a prequel series for HBO.
Book 1 - No idea how long it took him to write.
Book 2 - 3 years
Book 3 - 1 year
Book 4 - 5 years
Book 5 - 6 years

I don't think I'm being pessimistic to wonder, whatever his public words regarding book 6 are (remember all the words he spoke concerning Book 5 over the years, and Book 4 before that), whether or not Book 6 is going to actually be done in time for the TV show, especially since he has expanded responsibilities he didn't have when writing books 4 and 5, and I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that book 7 will definitely not be ready.

That said, while I love GoT to death, the reality is that Book 4 is...well, I could realistically see that as a turning point to the series' popularity when it hits, dependent on how many liberties are taken by both Martin and the show's writing team that year, so there's always the outside chance this is all a moot point, as we never actually reach book 6 and 7.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-03-24, 07:32   Link #588
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
That's true. I think Khalessi will become too warlike and maybe even ruthless. I agree that John Snow is kind, and I think he has what it takes to be a leader to others, but NOT as king. I think Tyrion would be more fit as king, and I'm not saying that because I think he's the best char in the show. He's cunning, like the rest of the Laniesters, but empathetic enough to truly understand his bounderies, and his people. Way back in season one, his warming up to John Snow more or less signifies his empathy.
I agree that Tyrion would be more appropriate to become a king but Laniesters are a bunch of retards that will drag him down. Even though Tyrion is good, he still have to protect the Laniesters.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 11:22   Link #589
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Giants eh?
Can't wait to see them.
Old 2013-03-30, 06:38   Link #590
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

One. More. Day.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-30, 21:24   Link #591
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

This weekend, our wait is over?
Old 2013-03-30, 22:46   Link #592
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

It needs to be tomorrow night already.

What can I do to make time go faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaster?
Also, cake.
Old 2013-03-31, 00:33   Link #593
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
One. More. Day.
I thought it was One Day More. .

I've been deliberately leaving myself in the dark for this upcoming season, so I'm quite excited about just what is going to be shown. There are a lot of promising storylines still left over form last season, so I'm eager to jump back in the saddle and ride around Westeros looking for some giant wolves, red witches, wildlings and whatever else may crawl out of the woodwork.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:07   Link #594
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I thought it was One Day More. .

I've been deliberately leaving myself in the dark for this upcoming season, so I'm quite excited about just what is going to be shown. There are a lot of promising storylines still left over form last season, so I'm eager to jump back in the saddle and ride around Westeros looking for some giant wolves, red witches, wildlings and whatever else may crawl out of the woodwork.
.The third book is one of the best (if not the best out of the 5, I think only the 1st compares). If you like the whole things spiraling out of control aspect of the show, I think you might be in for a treat.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 22:00   Link #595
Xagzan

My nipples hurt.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 22:36   Link #596
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Wowser.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 06:29   Link #597
GDB

Didn't want it to end. And, unlike last season, I actually enjoyed Khaleesi's part of the plot.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:45   Link #598
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for Season 3 ep1:
Old 2013-04-01, 11:25   Link #599
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Man.. that scene with Tyrion and Tywin talking, it might not end up being the most memorable scene of the series but it could be the best. So well done by both actors.
Old 2013-04-01, 22:26   Link #600
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for Season 3 ep1:
Everyone likes Arya =03...except Geoffrey(or however you spell his name (>.>)).

Originally I thought Margeary was another scheming b****, given the way she positioned herself to end up as Geoffrey's husband and future queen, but I may have been preemptive on that assessment. That was a considerate gesture towards those orphans. She didn't even mind walking in the mud or muddy waters. Also, the battle between her own ideals and that of Cersei's about that was great too. It made me realize that Margeary's a FAR cry stronger than Sanza, so much so, that even Geoffrey approves and believes in her actions, and that's saying something. You can tell Cersei was not amused.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, hbo