3 out of 10 : Bad 3 2.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 2.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 3.65%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-26, 01:38   Link #141
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
You know, since some people think that Marina and Setsuna may end up in a relationship... I can see subtle hints as to why they might. For example:

I think the clear shot of Marina's cleavage might get Setsuna's attention. That, or maybe he's a pervert at heart?

Of course, I find it hard to swallow that they may end up in a love-related relationship due to their age difference. Someone in their mid 20s and someone at their teens... I just can't seem to accept that... But hey, you never know.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:41   Link #142
Traece
:cool:

Phantom, it works. Trust me on this. There's anime to prove this. I've seen working relationships from people seven years apart. (Certain rock stars <_<)
I think they'd make a good couple. Parent-killing renegade, princess... Perfect...
Old 2007-11-26, 01:42   Link #143
Cherudim Arche

Are sure that it isn't a mild intimacy rather than sheer love?
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:44   Link #144
WhiteWings

The second time I saw that image I smirked at the thought that where some people would be looking at. I was looking at her face to see her reactions but some people...

Setsuna acts like a person who acts with restraint but with nothing else to lose including social reputation or social status. He keeps to himself but he's the type who'd say what's in his mind to anyone at anytime with few thing barring him from doing so.

Marina seems to be worn down but in a way that she's quietly resigned to it all. She certainly is holding up well but like a empty but intact eggshell that's so fragile. Having the need to connect and communicate with someone heart to heart isn't something she has been able to take for granted unlike most people.

Despite their age difference it's not unreal to see them together. If they do connect I think it might be partly due to the fact that both are deeply worn down and repeatedly crushed under the weight of the world in different ways. Kinda like two people who gone through a lot connect with one another even if the experiences are different.
Old 2007-11-26, 01:45   Link #145
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
To me, the only poorly written part of the cliche meeting.
That, and everything to deal with the terrorists in the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Yousuke Kuroda is the only one doing any writing in this show... I guess he was pressed for time or something. But then again, the man is known for his inconsistent writing.

I agree that the plot and dialogue was a bit forced in this ep though. Which is nothing new for the series in that respect.

Hope it does get better or Kuroda will turn into another Morosawa (though, at least to the best of my knowledge, Kuroda and Seiji Mizushima are not married).
I don't know about that. The writing in Gundam 00 has been pretty consistently poor so far; it's just that it's much much worse for this episode. At this rate, I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer having Morosawa replace him...

By the way, even though Kuroda is the only writer credited in this show, writing isn't done in a vacuum, so it'd be normal for the story ideas, characters, and what not to be explored by several staff members. It might not be the case for Gundam 00, but I think that it's safe to say that Kuroda doesn't deserve all of the credit or blame for the quality of the writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
I was so looking forward for Setsuna's and Maria's first encounter, but it fell flat. I don't understand why Setsuna would reveal his identity as a CB. For what purpose? Is he like trying to threaten her and her country?
To make matters worse, the reason given for their meeting is total nonsense. Marina is Iranian, so what other country borders hers, and would it be reasonable to think that there wouldn't be very many of that country's ethnic group in Britain?

By the way, does anyone else find it strange that Exia was referred to as the "white" Gundam? Of all the Gundams, I believe that only Dynames has less white than Exia.
Old 2007-11-26, 01:53   Link #146
WhiteWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
To make matters worse, the reason given for their meeting is total nonsense. Marina is Iranian, so what other country borders hers, and would it be reasonable to think that there wouldn't be very many of that country's ethnic group in Britain?

By the way does anyone else find it strange that Exia was referred to as the "white" Gundam? Of all the Gundams, I believe that only Dynames has less white than Exia.
I agree with that the 'accidental' meeting was a bit out of place but maybe in the future something happened that people from the Middle East aren't as common there anymore whether it be a wave of anti-whatever for some terrorist act or war... you get the picture. But simple Marina seemed to have the strange need to just talk to someone and Setsuna just stood out a bit more. Still, can't there have been a more plausible meeting?

Generally people might think...

Exia= 'The "white" gundam' or 'the gundam with blades'.
Dynames= 'The 'green' gundam' or 'the sniper gundam'.
Kyrios= 'The "orange' gundam' or 'the plane gundam'.
Virtue='The 'big' gundam' or 'the blocky gundam'.

A very general example but often people do name or identify things with very general and not always accurate desriptions.
Old 2007-11-26, 02:01   Link #147
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
That, and everything to deal with the terrorists in the episode.

What about the terrorists? I think the situation is realistic, with AEU using CB to their advantage. Plus, "ecofascism" is a political force, although not a strong one in our current wrold.

As for the meeting: First of all, it's hard to say that Marina is Iranian (after all, Iran itself is a pretty "modern" state. It was called Persia before) when quite a few countries in Southwest Asia uses Persian-style names. Also, although there are a lot of Southeastern people in UK atm, you have to remember that Marina is in SCOTLAND (where you don't see as many Southwest Asians). Plus, when you add up Setsuna's fashion, and Marina's naiveness, it all adds up.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 02:08   Link #148
Traece

Love at first sight, or interest. Stuff like this happens all the time in anime.
Plus a speeding taxicycle(???) and gunfire... Personally I thought it was a good encounter, if shocking. But ok...
Also in episode 8, they say what countries Setsuna and Marina are from.
Old 2007-11-26, 02:13   Link #149
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Also in episode 8, they say what countries Setsuna and Marina are from.
But they're fictional states (well, there IS Kurdistan, but it's not independent.)
Old 2007-11-26, 02:21   Link #150
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, there may be many Middle Eastern people in UK, but dressed like that? I don't know, but do most Middle Eastern people in UK dressed like some desert commando riding a motocyle in the street? I think Setsuna stands out, Marina may have met other Middle Eastern people in UK, but she wouldn't be able to tell, however Setsuna... he just screams "poverty-striken war-torn Middle Eastern kid" with his dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
I was so looking forward for Setsuna's and Maria's first encounter, but it fell flat. I don't understand why Setsuna would reveal his identity as a CB. For what purpose? Is he like trying to threaten her and her country?( Seriously, Tiera would have probably shot him on the spot if he was nearby).
I'd say he revealed his identity to basically tell Marina "you shut up with your nonsense talk of peace negotiation and better do something fast to put an end to the war in your mess of a country that destroyed my homeland, else I'd go in and blow it apart to personally clean it up right in front of you"
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 02:49   Link #151
Bocca
Banned

Did Setsuna waste two beam daggers for nothing? (or did he recover them)
Bocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 02:51   Link #152
Traece

Don't Relena and Heero have a similar conversation their first time too? As in, wasn't Heero also quite cruel and insensitive? I'm sure Marina would feel bad about what happened to him. As far as them meeting goes I rewatched that scene and she's looking out the window, then the taxicycle runs by, speeding of course. She notices Setsuna, who has his most likely familiar to her area of the world features, a device in his ear, and a serious look. Plus I always thought his clothes seemed a bit Middle Eastern... I doubt you'd see many people like that in England considering the poverty they're facing. Though even so I suppose the meeting is a bit, odd.. Oh, Krugis and Azadistan are countries in the anime.
No, he does not recover the beam daggers. But they'll be destroyed along with their technology so all is well. I'm sure they'll be replaced.
Old 2007-11-26, 02:58   Link #153
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings
I agree with that the 'accidental' meeting was a bit out of place but maybe in the future something happened that people from the Middle East aren't as common there anymore whether it be a wave of anti-whatever for some terrorist act or war...
The problem with this would is that Marina would hardly go begging in a country which had just performed the kind of pogrom that you're describing. Furthermore, Setsuna would make for a horrible covert agent in such a place.

Quote:
But simple Marina seemed to have the strange need to just talk to someone and Setsuna just stood out a bit more. Still, can't there have been a more plausible meeting?
It'd have been more plausible if she fell in love with Setsuna's scarf or something like that.

Quote:
Exia= 'The "white" gundam' or 'the gundam with blades'.
Dynames= 'The 'green' gundam' or 'the sniper gundam'.
Kyrios= 'The "orange' gundam' or 'the plane gundam'.
Virtue='The 'big' gundam' or 'the blocky gundam'.
If anyone were to associate them with colors, they would hardly use the one color that's common to all of them. It'd make a lot more sense to go by the other primary colors: blue, green, orange, and black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae
What about the terrorists? I think the situation is realistic, with AEU using CB to their advantage. Plus, "ecofascism" is a political force, although not a strong one in our current wrold.
Everything about the terrorists smacks of awful writing. Not even the AEU using Celestial Being to eliminate them makes any sense. A terrorist organization that is located in known bases isn't a threat to anyone, and any competent government (and more than a few incompetent ones) can gain a lot of political capital by pointing to such enemies.

The terrorists themselves make no sense whatsoever. They don't have a motive for what they did, but conveniently enough, they're at least easy to find and eradicate. Even more conveniently, they even have a few mobile suits for our heroes to show off against! The only way for the creators to save this storyline would be to make it all an AEU plot to take out a group that had been bothering them, and if they had nothing to do with the bombings at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae
Also, although there are a lot of Southeastern people in UK atm, you have to remember that Marina is in SCOTLAND (where you don't see as many Southwest Asians).
Asians that can be mistaken for Iranians make up around 1% of Scotland's population. They are concentrated in the cities, and can thus make up 4-5% of the urban population. Thus, one should expect to see South Asians in just about any city. They certainly won't be so uncommon to the extent that it'd make any sense to turn one's car around on a road just to talk to them. And what the heck was that nonsense about making the excuse about Setsuna being with the Azadistan party? And why did the policeman let them get away with it? And the list goes on... The whole scene (perhaps even the whole episode) screams "We need to get Marina and Setsuna to meet, but we have no clue how to pull that off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Setsuna... he just screams "poverty-striken war-torn Middle Eastern kid" with his dress
Poverty-stricken refugees don't go around renting vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Because in just a few hours, they take positions all around the world to wait for terrorist; they really have to be damn fast...
The episode has to take place over several days because it wouldn't be daylight at every location at once.
Old 2007-11-26, 03:03   Link #154
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the Shinsen-Subs sub of Episode 8. I thought that the terrorist twist at the end of the previous episode could lead up to something good or something REALLY bad, depending on the skill of the writer....looks like it ended up being the latter.

Basically, Setsuna tries to apprehend the subject by going on a drive-by shooting at the suspect's car, and Marina decides to turn around to find him because she thinks he's one of her citizens despite having only a momentary glance (as if a head of state really has nothing better to do). Then, when Setsuna is in that stand-off with the police, Marina decides to intervene and save him from the police, risking diplomatic outrage in the process, just so she can take him somewhere and go all emo towards someone she only just met, despite the possibility that he may be dangerous. Then it's Setsuna's turn to go emo, reveal top-secret information that he's a Gundam Meister despite just meeting her, and proceed to tell her CB will intervene in her country if she doesn't patch things up. Even Heero Yuy made much more impact by saying much less when he told Relena, "I will kill you", full freakin' stop. And the "battle" choreography wasn't even much to look at.

In short, Sunrise just tried to feed the viewers utter bull, and hoping we'll bite. Well, this fish ain't gonna bite, for one.

4 out of 10, and even only that much because at least the fanservice was decent.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 03:25   Link #155
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Poverty-stricken refugees don't go around renting vehicles.
And that EXACTLY makes him stand out even more Some guy who screams "poverty-striken war-torn Middle Eastern kid" with his dress and then riding a motocycle in the street, Marina surely will notice him
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 03:31   Link #156
monster

Well if Setsuna did rent that vehicle and if he needed an ID to do that, there'll probably be a warrant out for him in Scotland for the now missing vehicle.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 03:32   Link #157
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well, I guess that's a wrap, series is a full stop trainwreck, the end of the line......is what I would say if I let one mediocore episode get me down. Obviously being Episode 08 (i.e 75% chance of being a wet and wild getaway in any given series) of a Sunrise series, (meaning you're either near perfect or you get ripped to shreds by the viewers I've noticed) and having to constantly churn out solid episodes to keep people from calling the series a trainwreck, Episode 08 takes a lot of flack. Some things I felt were a bit ridiculous were Wang's car (I felt like I was witnessing a scene straight out of a harem anime and kind of wretched a bit) and the rather rushed Setsuna and Marina meeting. It feels like they tried to do to much in one episode to be honest, and that is was the wrong episode to try to do it in. Though I am glad to see the series furthering it's characters now.

Does this sink the whole show for me? Hell No! Does it sink the episode? Not entirely. Is it the worst abomination to mankind and should Sunrise be skinned alive for making the episode? I don't think so, but judging by some peoples reactions it seems some do indeed think so. Am I disappointed? Well a little, but that's not a new thing. It still has more then enough going for it to keep the episode afloat and earn it a 6. Expect a full review and further thoughts once I get my day off from work on Thursday. Until then I just don't have the time to write about it in detail.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 03:33   Link #158
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Well if Setsuna did rent that vehicle and if he needed an ID to do that, there'll probably be a warrant out for him in Scotland for the now missing vehicle.
Wait, if he rented it, there is no real reason for any warrants to come out yet.
Old 2007-11-26, 03:34   Link #159
Hage-bai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAlchemist View Post
The way they set up the meeting between Setsuna and Marina is lame. I don't know any princess or leader would simply stop her or his car to help some strangers who apparently just shoot at a car. It's also weird that the police officer let it passed.
Exactly. That plot device was pretty poor to say the least. Makes look Maria look like an idiot...which she probably is anyway. A useless public figure with no political talent. CB is going to put the hammer down on her country.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 03:44   Link #160
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well, I guess that's a wrap, series is a full stop trainwreck, the end of the line......
I think you're exaggerating the reactions just a little bit. The fact that these people are bothering to actually write about their opinions on this series means that there is still something about it that is interesting enough for them to keep on watching it. That doesn't mean that they're going to enjoy every aspect of the show, but that's already a given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Wait, if he rented it, there is no real reason for any warrants to come out yet.
Well, that's why I put it in the future tense. And I doubt Setsuna would rent it for a lengthy period of time anyway, so they most likely won't have long to wait before they realize that vehicle won't be coming back on its own.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote