AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-08, 02:03   Link #201
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Oh my god!!! What have I and my fellow intellectuals been doing trying to argue with people who are probably only a step or two away from the typical Blizzard forumgoer?!?!?!

Aye. For the time being, I'm busy somewhere else.
Old 2008-07-08, 03:27   Link #202
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
1 - http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?i...arcraftzs3.jpg
Im pretty sure the top section of that pic is a fan edited one. So why do i prefer this? First let's take a look at the steam below the barb. Someone please tell me why blue steam would make more sense than the greyed? Unless we get to travel down there, it should be at a standard which would be the typical grey/white.

Now let's look at the floor and the walls. With the blue gone they look more realistic and old. Giving the sense that you are in an old decaying dungeon. Now this pic is not at all hard to see and does not need an increase to your brightness and contrast.

2 - http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8366/contrastqj1.jpg
Now there is not much I can say about this pic because it seems this area is graphicly unfinished. In the BEFORE pic there is no sandy texture. You have a pale and "hard to see" orange tree leaves instead of "easy to see" red leaves in the AFTER pic. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, the skeletons are ALOT harder for me to see in the BEFORE pic.... Everything is much too blurred and smoothed and it makes anything and everything bleed into each other. If these skeletons are coming out of the ground, then it's makes more sense for the grass to look more dead now doesn't it? But like I said, this area looks unfinished.

3 - http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?im...roper01hh6.jpg
This will be short. There is not much to say about this, its basicly like pic #2 with a bit more to talk about. The two most noticeable things are the rocks and the ground. I really hope the "how it looks like" pic is not the finished product... You can't seriously tell me you would prefer that over the real looking rocks in the "how it should look" pic. Same goes for the ground, you can see the tiny little crystalized sand. The current version is all smooth and bland. Once again though, it just looks like an unfinished area.
Those are just altered images. Please alter the gameplay video and then come and show it to me. Chances are it will now look pixelated as they move around because of the sharpaning. You can't just have a perfect picture and perfect animation, motion need a little blur to make things look smooth.

1) According to Diablo 1 tradition places with deamons aminate with demonic light, they are not going against tradition by using the blue/green tone. For what's worth the other version looks less diabloish because it just expresses a feeling of emptiness. Getting surprised by deamons isn't diablo; that's just your standard nowadays horror fics. In diablo you are somewhat concious something is there, and the deamons welcome you!

2) This is just a stupid oversharped image. No matter how good you get it you can always photoshop it into a better version. I bet that thing looks like complete junk animated, just look at the clouds from the spell. Sure, it might look closer to Diablo 1, but is the point really to use inferiour graphics?

3) The rocks in the altered are unrealisticly stupid. That's the effect of excessive drout and yet there's tones of grass? They also look like they've been carved and placed there from what great detail they have on them. Face it, rain wins over rocks and makes them smooth. A lot of grain, I'm personally going to just go against making the image worse to make it better since if that effect is placed into animation it looks like complete junk; it's close to the effect you get by wathing tv with a bad antena.
Old 2008-07-08, 04:22   Link #203
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

A Diablo clone, Dungeon Siege 2, has a good example of the contrast thing I'm talking about. Most of the rest of the game takes place in lush jungles, or dry deserts, but the last level is a dark, metallic fortress situated on top of a giant, volcanic mountain. The sky's red, it's dark, and there's ash raining down everywhere. The interior is cramped, filled with dried blood and skeletons, and there are really ugly things walking up and down its corridors that you have to fight.

When I first arrived there the impact was really strong. It was like hell on earth, and the comparatively brighter and prettier portions of the rest of the game made the initial impression really stand out. You fight through a huge amount of enemies, and then near the end you literally climb this looooong series of steps under a rain of falling ash, fighting through boatloads of enemies before finally arriving at the temple holding the last boss.

The point is, I definetly knew that this place was serious business, and there was real tension and anticipation for the final encounter as I made my way through the whole level. If the whole game was dark and somewhat hellish, I highly doubt that last stage would've made as much of an impression.

Plus, I had a feeling that I had actually progressed through the story. By going from peaceful beginnings, to this hellish climax, there's a real feeling that you've struggled through a story and are now at the great ending.

DS2 is a pretty awesome game by the way. Waaaaay better story and characters than Diablo 2, but the gameplay isn't as good. (Party and pet mechanics are great, but you have poor variety of spells and abilities, and you tend to use only one set of skills for your whole party per run. Abilities have a really good oomph to them though, but Diablo 3 will be pulling ahead in that department it looks like)

And many of the bosses are pitifully easy. (DS2's Act 1 boss is the biggest joke of an act boss in the history of Diablo clones, most likely)

EDIT2: Of course, it's not good to go the opposite direction and have only one hellish area either. I'm hoping each act in D3 has its own really grim area, with subsequent acts having bloodier, more hellish areas. Of course, with the inclusion of Heaven we could also have a chance for a visual culture shock in the complete opposite direction as well.
Old 2008-07-08, 04:51   Link #204
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Of course, with the inclusion of Heaven we could also have a chance for a visual culture shock in the complete opposite direction as well.
For all we know, Heaven might actually be even worse than hell

Maybe not brimstone and fire, but I'm almost certain it's not green fields and blue sky.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 06:34   Link #205
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... I just find it funny how people are complaining about rainbows...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 07:16   Link #206
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

"I'm blinded by rainbows...."

-Rolling Stones ^_^
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 09:34   Link #207
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
LOL... I just find it funny how people are complaining about rainbows...
*still clueless where this rainbow is suppose to be in the video*

Old 2008-07-08, 09:38   Link #208
brocko

You guys forget. The rainbow complaint has value

And while the Bnet forums was brought up:

happened almost immediately after the D3 forums went public. It went for a good 20 or so pages

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 10:10   Link #209
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Like I've said... Nothing else better to do >.>
Old 2008-07-08, 10:19   Link #210
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

You need some "good" areas to make the "bad" areas really have an impact (as mentioned above).

For my example... Whose played Guild Wars? Remember in the start its all lush, green, and brimming with life? Then BAM. Its a charred wasteland. It had a major impact on me to the point I made a new character so I could see all the life again D:
Old 2008-07-08, 18:21   Link #211
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
A Diablo clone, Dungeon Siege 2, has a good example of the contrast thing I'm talking about. Most of the rest of the game takes place in lush jungles, or dry deserts, but the last level is a dark, metallic fortress situated on top of a giant, volcanic mountain. The sky's red, it's dark, and there's ash raining down everywhere. The interior is cramped, filled with dried blood and skeletons, and there are really ugly things walking up and down its corridors that you have to fight.

When I first arrived there the impact was really strong. It was like hell on earth, and the comparatively brighter and prettier portions of the rest of the game made the initial impression really stand out. You fight through a huge amount of enemies, and then near the end you literally climb this looooong series of steps under a rain of falling ash, fighting through boatloads of enemies before finally arriving at the temple holding the last boss.

The point is, I definetly knew that this place was serious business, and there was real tension and anticipation for the final encounter as I made my way through the whole level. If the whole game was dark and somewhat hellish, I highly doubt that last stage would've made as much of an impression.

Plus, I had a feeling that I had actually progressed through the story. By going from peaceful beginnings, to this hellish climax, there's a real feeling that you've struggled through a story and are now at the great ending.

DS2 is a pretty awesome game by the way. Waaaaay better story and characters than Diablo 2, but the gameplay isn't as good. (Party and pet mechanics are great, but you have poor variety of spells and abilities, and you tend to use only one set of skills for your whole party per run. Abilities have a really good oomph to them though, but Diablo 3 will be pulling ahead in that department it looks like)

And many of the bosses are pitifully easy. (DS2's Act 1 boss is the biggest joke of an act boss in the history of Diablo clones, most likely)

EDIT2: Of course, it's not good to go the opposite direction and have only one hellish area either. I'm hoping each act in D3 has its own really grim area, with subsequent acts having bloodier, more hellish areas. Of course, with the inclusion of Heaven we could also have a chance for a visual culture shock in the complete opposite direction as well.
A lot of people seem to have forgotten Diablo 2 did this a lot. In pretty much all of the first 3 acts. Act 4 was in hell and doesn't count.

Plus, I got some really funny looks at work cause I looked at that rainbow picture and just cracked up at the last line.

'In addition, the rainbow is upside down.'
Old 2008-07-08, 18:53   Link #212
Snuffle
likes cute things

@Cats: I think you misunderstood me a bit. As I said, for pic 2 and 3 I'm pretty sure those official pictures are unfinished areas so I can't really make a proper comment on them. All I stated was where things need improvement. Please don't assume that I'm saying I want it to look EXACTLY like the edited pictures...

I was never implying the players should be "omg that scared me!" to feel like they're playing a horror game. I just want things to make a little more sense and feel more natural. If they really decide to keep it this way I'm not going to get all huffy and puffy. I'm getting this either way, mainly for the gameplay. I'm not one to bicker about "omg I hate this cause the graphics suck!". I "would like it" if what I was looking at didn't have an unnatural feel.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 19:41   Link #213
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
*still clueless where this rainbow is suppose to be in the video*

At 14:00-14:30 and 12:20-12:25 of the game play video.

12:20-12:25 - Rainbow on the upper right corner of the screen.

14:00-14:30 - Rainbow near the top center of the screen.

Edit: Nvm, there was only 1 rainbow.

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2008-07-08 at 19:52.
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 20:41   Link #214
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I don't know about you, but after 20 years of no demons, or hordes of monsters, it seems like the world of Sanctuary would be a little more lush, lively. The hordes are just now starting to reappear, and the land has yet to feel the total effect of complete demolishilazation. (firefox says that's not a word...)

There is also a kind of underlying...fear, at seeing such a lively environment...Can such a lush place be so full of evil? Just where is safe? As the game progresses, there's no telling. Perhaps the game world will become brighter, while moving along the way to Heaven, while showing an even more sinister contrast as the path diverges into the pits of the hellions. The soft glows in the lighting give off an eerie feel of decayed and rotting bodies, and their particles in the air, the light from the torches illuminating them with a sickly strange color...

Darkness doesn't have to be black for it to be black, it's the feel of the area...

Also, it may be that their trying to cater to people such as myself, that don't necessarily see this game as a horror game, but an adventure into a world filled with mystery, intrigue, demonic creatures, and heavenly bodies. Horror stuff if more like surrealistic drugs hyped up with violence and sex, bedraggled hair and bodies, and that scary person coming at you with an axe while you sit an cower in a corner because your a little turd....muahahahaha. Anyway, I kind of like the way the game is headed, it's also interesting to see it looking a little bit like WoW with the graphics. I don't know about you, but WoW has CONTENT. The graphics are simply a new way of displaying this.

Look at the Legend of Zelda, Wind Waker. No one liked the graphics at first. WTH? But in the end, the gameplay was of elite quality, the story-line, etc etc. The graphics gave the game it's new feel, and it was great.

Diablo III, I'm personally looking forward to it.
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 20:57   Link #215
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I dont think my current computer would be able to run this game. >_<!

With a bit of luck, I'll have a new one before the game actually hits stores.
Old 2008-07-08, 21:13   Link #216
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
You guys forget. The rainbow complaint has value
Very, very funny.
Old 2008-07-09, 00:09   Link #217
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I dont think my current computer would be able to run this game. >_<!

With a bit of luck, I'll have a new one before the game actually hits stores.
Luckily I just got a new one a couple of days after D3 was announced.
Old 2008-07-09, 03:57   Link #218
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Luckily I just got a new one a couple of days after D3 was announced.
Be ready to get a new one again once it's finally released in X years time...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 04:58   Link #219
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Just to be safe, if your computer can play Supreme Commander, it can play anything!

And that's my goal!
Old 2008-07-09, 09:06   Link #220
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Just to be safe, if your computer can play Supreme Commander, it can play anything!

And that's my goal!
Don't you mean Crysis?
If you can play that you can play anything!

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler