Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-12, 02:51   Link #3081
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Moe overload.
To those of you who understand Mandarin, is it me or is there a bit of a sexual undertone in the translated quotes upon closer listening.

If so, whoever the translator is must have a wicked sense of humour. I could do a literal translation here for those unfamiliar with the language.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 03:10   Link #3082
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Protoss are just that amazing

So the lava rises up and possibly kills all your scvs if your not extremely careful??? Harsh..
Yep, I actually lost a Command Center to it. fortunately, there's an extra one to the north.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 03:22   Link #3083
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
To those of you who understand Mandarin, is it me or is there a bit of a sexual undertone in the translated quotes upon closer listening.

If so, whoever the translator is must have a wicked sense of humour. I could do a literal translation here for those unfamiliar with the language.
Please do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yep, I actually lost a Command Center to it. fortunately, there's an extra one to the north.
I'm also betting that you will eventually run out of supplies in that lava level as well so they have a Command Center to the north for extra materials... Or Blizzard predicted people would lose their Command Center from the evil "sneaky" lava
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 04:32   Link #3084
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The Dig (guard the lazer)-- I stopped here. I have a lot of trouble with this mission; barely beat it on hard. >.> I wonder if I should try expanding because I always run out of resources. I feel like I should pick another mission first.
Unless you are that good with mobilizing your south defense, do -not- take the expansion: it is much more risky to cover that larger zone for defense.

Generally speaking, you have to mass produce tanks, having a decent marine / medic / goliath / turret (for the prisms and carriers coming), and perditions.
You should have enough ressources to hold out for the whole mission.

That being said, use the laser drill only against immortals and perhaps colossi. The least you use, the least annoying it becomes, but it highly depends how well your tanks and perditions are placed. If everything goes right, any wave should be stopped cold except when there are 3 immortals in the pack.

Quote:
I have no idea about the mandarin one, but the english version already has some sexual innuendos, so shouldn't be exactly surprising .
Old 2010-08-12, 05:12   Link #3085
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I have no idea about the mandarin one, but the english version already has some sexual innuendos, so shouldn't be exactly surprising .
The English version has "Some" sexual innuendos in it?? I must be really clueless indeed to not notice them since I hear the medic alot in replays that I watch on youtube.
Old 2010-08-12, 05:13   Link #3086
Xacual

In the Dig on Hard I just put a couple extra sieges near bottom entrance and put about 6 perdition turrets right in front of the command center. This was on hard so not brutal but they never touched the expansion.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 06:11   Link #3087
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
The English version has "Some" sexual innuendos in it?? I must be really clueless indeed to not notice them since I hear the medic alot in replays that I watch on youtube.
You are most likely mistaking the medic (campaign) and the medivac.
When you have a "nurse" saying things like "oooh, sounds like an emergency~" with the tone she uses, it is hardly innocent
The medivac sounds like a dropship, but tad more jaded. I guess it is sort of stressful to deal with stim packed marines running around, while you are using a laser scalpel from 50m away, if not more .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
In the Dig on Hard I just put a couple extra sieges near bottom entrance and put about 6 perdition turrets right in front of the command center. This was on hard so not brutal but they never touched the expansion.
You need to mixup much more in brutal mode, as immortals are really a pain if they manage to get in range. That and as I explained before, the few void ray and carriers the CPU throw at your face.
Old 2010-08-12, 06:15   Link #3088
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I haven't played any Brutal missions, but I hope they would be easier since I wouldn't be trying to grab achievements and as such, is allowed to turtle for most of them.
Old 2010-08-12, 06:18   Link #3089
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I haven't played any Brutal missions, but I hope they would be easier since I wouldn't be trying to grab achievements and as such, is allowed to turtle for most of them.
Brutal missions are sometimes "easier" compared to hard mode achievements, since you don't have any extra restriction when doing them in brutal (unless if you are like one of my friends, doing achievements in brutal from the get go).

The problem in brutal, however, is that you cannot always turtle as you please. Generally speaking, the opposing force has likely to have a generous ressource field, why you don't. Hence you often go dry extremely quickly if you take too much time to expand (notably: a sinister turn and the abominable Maw of the Void).
The CPU doesn't go hardcore with its forces (I often wondered if some brutal missions aren't too easy: I never had to build more than 2 barracks for example, and that's before the tech reactor). The problem is how you have to grind your way, while paying close attention to your economy.

In essence, brutal mode forces you to be economically efficient, while being little more cautious about your offensive force (size and composition). You have some exception with fast and furious missions though (Engine of Destruction was a nightmare).
Sometimes, you are forced to use your troops for both offense and defense.
Old 2010-08-12, 06:41   Link #3090
Qikz

Having so much trouble with the last Char mission on Hard. I keep getting overrun around 85%. Ghosts don't even have EMP in Campaign either so I can't EMP Kerrigan.

If I spam Battlecruisers she just drops most of them and if I don't spam battlecruisers, everything else gets owned by Broodlords. Eek, any ideas?
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 06:58   Link #3091
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Mechs are a bad idea for All in, exactly because Kerrigan will drop-kill them. Still, having a select few battleships to take out brood lords can help a lot. So, what I did:
1) Start out by increasing resources, you will be needing a LOT.
2) At the same time spam some marines to fill the bunkers and have an SCV ready to repair.
With your bunkers loaded, you can start teching your infantry and either set up some bunkers on the SW end of the map and reinforce the other areas, or go with rax and make four separate marine task forces with medics/medivacs (whichever one you've upgraded; if you got both, go for medivacs) and protect each area.
After that, you can make those battleships we were talking about, the rest of your resources will go to teching and making zerg fodder...whatever you do, don't stop producing!
About Kerrigan: while 7 ghosts can hold their own against her, they are an expensive choice, marines can do just as much for a lot less. If you're getting ghosts, keep a few cloaked in your base to guard against surprise attacks.
About the artifact: Nova hurts Kerrigan, saving it for one of her attacks is good...otherwise, I just used it for the overlord overrun that comes around mid-game.
Since you're fighting brood lords and mutas, the leviathan will pay a visit too; combine your northern marine forces to take him down, then deploy some troops to cover the casualties...they should be many. Alternatively, you can make science vessels and irradiate it to death if they live long enough (depends on research tree). Good luck
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 07:01   Link #3092
Xacual

If you leave air up for the All In don't you have to fight the leviathan at some point in the level? I kind of am happy I chose to deal with nydus tunnels, they seem way easier than having to deal with the flying zerg.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 07:03   Link #3093
Qikz

Sounds good. I was trying tanks/5 bunkers at each choke with mass battlecruisers in the middle. Going Mass M&M seems alot easier though to be fair. I'll give it a shot!

Yeah, I sort of regret picking to destroy the nydus canals. But oh well. :P
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 07:13   Link #3094
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Unfortunately the Zerg don't have...many....representatives, I hope the next expansion will offer a few. Oh, anyone know its release date?
This makes me wonder if we're going to see a revival of the cerebrates, or an evolution of the Zerg if not that. There's not going to be much between mission banter if it's just Kerigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
If you leave air up for the All In don't you have to fight the leviathan at some point in the level? I kind of am happy I chose to deal with nydus tunnels, they seem way easier than having to deal with the flying zerg.
Yes you do have to fight the Leviathan, but it's not exactly a hard fight. Just save the artifact until he shows up, pop it when he's in range, mop up the rest.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 07:52   Link #3095
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Yeah, I sort of regret picking to destroy the nydus canals.
Believe me, you don't Nydus worms spawn everywhere, even inside your base, and puke all sorts of things...at least in the air fight, the only troublesome thing is brood lords sniping your marines, but if you act fast you won't have a problem with that. What's more, if Kerrigan moves and worms spawn at the same time, you're totally screwed on hard difficulty.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 08:12   Link #3096
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I have no idea about the mandarin one, but the english version already has some sexual innuendos, so shouldn't be exactly surprising
The chirpy English Dub doesn't always sound obvious except with that "Where does it hurt~?" line.

The flirty tone of the Mandarin tone just brings the naughty bit forward more. Thanks to it, I finally understand what "Call me when the swelling goes down" and "Mouth to something" is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This makes me wonder if we're going to see a revival of the cerebrates, or an evolution of the Zerg if not that. There's not going to be much between mission banter if it's just Kerigan.
The fate of the Player's Cerebrate in BW is still unaccounted for. And I don't believe Kerrigan herself is psychically powerfully enough to control the entire race of Zerg alone by herself
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 08:42   Link #3097
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I've obviously been in my EVE corp for too long (and EVE itself), as I had forgotten the DotA/SC mentality. Now I'm all "Well, that rush hilariously failed, but let's see how long I can last!", not caring about stats. Laid-back and having fun, while still doing one's best is how I roll now.

Skipped practice league after winning 3 matches because it seemed like a waste of time. Yeehaw, promptly got pwned in a ZvsZ. Never seen the Roach burrow rush before. Learned something new.

Then a 2vs2, which we actually won. Hadn't seen the Terran "Barracks rush" or whatever you call it, but it proved effective, while my zerg took care of fleeing units. Starved them of resources until they left.

Same guy then invited me to a party so we got another one going. Z&T vs P&T. Let's just say Zealot rush is damn effective... So he left even though his base was still intact and left me alone. 20-ish burrowed Roaches was clearly not enough against a combined force of Zealots and Marines numbering in the forties, so I went out in glorious flames.

But I had fun.

On a related note, that Zealot rush... Any effective counters? I was heading for Mutalisks but was way too late to have a chance.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 08:58   Link #3098
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
The chirpy English Dub doesn't always sound obvious except with that "Where does it hurt~?" line.

The flirty tone of the Mandarin tone just brings the naughty bit forward more. Thanks to it, I finally understand what "Call me when the swelling goes down" and "Mouth to something" is about.
Well in starcraft 1 the Medic offers to give you a sponge bath But I do like the sound of the Chinese Medic dub~

I get the impression that the other characters aren't as impressive?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 10:08   Link #3099
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well in starcraft 1 the Medic offers to give you a sponge bath But I do like the sound of the Chinese Medic dub~

I get the impression that the other characters aren't as impressive?
Sponge Baths ftw

Well if Brutal is somewhat comparable to "Hard" if I would imagine, but the only problem is maintaining your economy and trying not to focus to heavily on turtling, then I may have some trouble when I buy this game, due to my play style only having end-game (15-30 minutes) results
Old 2010-08-12, 11:03   Link #3100
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

There's definitely a heavier sexual undertone. Her voice is also a lot more 'flirty' and playful. Basically a ramped up version of the English one.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows