AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 17:26   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Exclamation Documentary Video/Film Recomnendation

i am in mood for watching documentary Video/Film. mainlly preffer Science/Gadget documentary. but others like History or Wildlife also fine.

But this what i want
  • Fun and interesting
  • Give sense of amazingness
  • Well made
  • not just random expert talking (which is why i kinda hates most of history documentation)

Any topic will do! From elementary stuff like history of roman empire to Complex stuff like Quantum Mechanic or even Random thing like Paranormal activity in Nazca line. as long it fulfill my bullet point

Series or Film will do. (Podcast is less desirable but if it really interesting you can post it)

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 17:53   Link #2
Xagzan

Not much of a documentary viewer so maybe I'm not the best person to recommend one , but I have caught Oceans on Starz a couple of times. I found it quite lovely, and I think definitely hits the sense of amazingness factor you're looking for. Of course, now I'm reading on the wiki article the US version got clipped 20 minutes and made more kid friendly, so I'm not too thrilled about that, although it didn't really seem kid-exclusive to me. Maybe Starz aired the world version after all...?

Side note, that was one hell of a crab army they show you. There had to be thousands in that scene. It was pretty epic.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 18:22   Link #3
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Human Planet is pretty good.

Though I actually like Radio podcasts. This American Life has good stuff, like this.

Occasionally you find a good radio documentary on NPR like My Lobotomy.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 22:45   Link #4
ChainLegacy
廉頗

This one was quite interesting and fun: Pururambo

"Globe-trotting Slovakian filmmaker Pavol Barabas explores Earth's biggest tropical island, New Guinea, in this breathtaking tour of a culture wholly unfamiliar with modern civilization and with no previous contact with white people. Along the way, Barabas finds people living high in trees under conditions roughly similar to those of the Stone Age. The film won the Culture Prize at the Kendal Mountain Film Festival."

Very fascinating to see how the different tribes react, and how tobacco always seem to bring them together and win his acceptance.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 23:17   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Here’s some obvious well-made documentary series in case you haven’t watch it ^_^:

March of the Penguins: an award winning documentary about peguins

Planet Earth: a great documentary about the nature of our planet.

Walking with Dinosaurs (and all of the accompanying sequel/spin-off series):
A well-made dinosaur doc by re-creating the prehistoric life.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy: a very good doc about Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddie Kruger) movies and their impact on the viewers.

Ancient Aliens: all about aliens and some evidence that they’ve visited us since a long time ago.

The Blue Planet: the ultimate documentary series about the ocean.

Monster Hunter & Monster Quest:
Good documentaries about Cryptozoology aka. unidentified/mysterious animals such as Bigfoot, Loch-Ness monster, Jersey Devil, Chupacabra, Tasmanian Tiger, etc

Sorry if you’ve already seen these. There’s still a lot more titles to recommend if you want.
Old 2012-01-23, 23:29   Link #6
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

A recent one would be Prohibition by Ken Burns. It's educational and entertaining.

Endless "Speakeasy" Soul
Old 2012-01-24, 01:20   Link #7
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Ancient Aliens:
Oh. This. Well, it certainly is a fun series to watch, but be warned; there's a meme solely devoted to a single man who appears on the show frequently.

It's silly if you look at it from afar, but the things it presents are interesting enough. I say go for it if you're sick-in-bed and the only movie on the network is Lord of the Rings.

To add, Alien Planet is also very entertaining to watch. Fictional, very theoretical of course, but great nonetheless.
Old 2012-01-24, 02:50   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Oh. This. Well, it certainly is a fun series to watch,...
Yup, that's exactly my point when I mentioned Ancient Aliens since the OP wants entertaining shows.
Old 2012-01-24, 03:41   Link #9
Jaden

Connections by James Burke is a pretty awesome series about science and history. Covers all the points you desire.
Old 2012-01-24, 04:12   Link #10
Byakou

I've really into lion documentaries these days.

The last lions
Relentless enemies
Swamp cats
African cats
Spy in the den
Lion army
etc

You can find some of these on youtube.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 04:26   Link #11
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Most of my favourite documentaries are those made by the BBC, so apologies if you're not able to get access to any of these:

Wonders of the Solar System/Universe - (5+4 episodes) - How science on the large scale can give us a variety of different worlds, and only with the right combination of parameters is life possible on Earth.

Shock & Awe: The story of electricity - (3 episodes) - The history of electricity from static shocks, to the scientists who tried to understand it, and finally its applications (the telegraph, electricity distribution & motors, light bulbs, and semi-conductor computing).

Andrew Marr's Megacities - (3 episodes) - How people live, sleep, work, and get around in different ways in five of the world's largest cities (Tokyo, Shanghai, Dhaka, London, & Mexico City), and how the cities have to deal with the threats that face them.

I hope that helps a bit .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 05:46   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Oh. This. Well, it certainly is a fun series to watch, but be warned; there's a meme solely devoted to a single man who appears on the show frequently.

It's silly if you look at it from afar, but the things it presents are interesting enough. I say go for it if you're sick-in-bed and the only movie on the network is Lord of the Rings.

To add, Alien Planet is also very entertaining to watch. Fictional, very theoretical of course, but great nonetheless.
yeah i already watch that one becouse of that meme lol

anyway anybody watch Frozen Planet made by same group as Planet Earth.

i also interested in some reality show like mythbuster. so some recommendation for that area also fine

anyway thanks for some recommendation

Old 2012-01-24, 07:25   Link #13
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Dirtiest Jobs? Mike's pretty funny.
Big, Bigger, Biggest?
Mega Factories/Structures/etc?

Their was that one recently about ocean life present by Richard Attenbourgh that was quite interesting I though, might be a little dry though. >.>

Actually there was this one, about the bible, I think can't quite remember, but it was awesome. Went through all these biblical battles and catastrophes and stuff and theorised a modern day explanations of what happened Like Sodom and Gomorrah, possibly being a meteor strike (or a volcano I forget which) and this other town that was 'consumed by the desert' but actually fell into a sink hole because they drank the water table dry (they found the possible ruins, a whole city down this sink hole and not completely trashed either). Was quite an interesting series.

There are quite a few "series doco's" on Discovery that are pretty fun to watch. There is an awesome one that the name escapes me of atm. I guess if you had Sci-Fi you could watch the conspiracy theory nut ones.
Old 2012-01-24, 07:32   Link #14
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

There was also a good BBC documentary about "Megacities", that people could check out.
Old 2013-01-29, 15:48   Link #15
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Sorry to bump this but I need more recommendation.

Anything interesting will do thought I generally stay away for politic and history.

Old 2013-01-29, 16:24   Link #16
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I find Vice has some interesting documentaries on youtube and some of them are very short, about twenty minutes. One that I found most interesting was Business of War, which showed the problem with military industrial complex, and one about Scopolamine, a drug that apparently could brain wash someone. They also have some interesting ones about Japan such as a interview with a cannibal and suicide forest, I haven't got around to see them though.

Other documentaries that I found interesting are Inside Job and many of the ESPN 30 for 30. The ESPN ones have lot of fascinating documentaries about sports. The Two Escobars is probably the best out of all them as it is really about Colombia and its drug problems.

And most of them should not about have some random expert talking.
Old 2013-01-29, 17:29   Link #17
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Al Jazeera has some good documentaries.

In Particular 101 East

Witness

People and Power
Old 2013-01-29, 17:29   Link #18
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

I recommend (and my personal favorites) (sourced descriptions)

Through The Wormhole: Morgan Freemen that is all... haha enough silliness. Hosted by Morgan Freeman, Through the Wormhole explores the deepest mysteries of existence -- the questions that have puzzled mankind for eternity. Highly recommended!
---
Brain Games: I love this! Its fun, and you get to know alittle about yourself, and many interesting facts of the human brain! With a mix of Interactive experiments, illusions, and mind tricks reveal the inner workings of the ultimate supercomputer—the human brain.
---
Planet Earth: As recommended before, it explores the marvels of our planet. With footage of the natural world.
---
Walking With Monsters: How life first started on Earth. It takes place during the Cambrian Period, SUPER INTERESTING! Has tons of unusual looking creatures, and basically one part shows how Earth could have been a insect dominated planet if certain events did not happen. It makes me think of how life is soo amazing!
---
WW2 in HD: An eye opener of WW2. It follow the lives of soldiers who lived Wold War II, through previously unseen color footage from ALL fronts (Home,Europe,Asia,Africa).
---
Breaking the Magician's Code: The title says it all! Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed! A series in which it explains the methods behind magic tricks and illusions!
---
America The Story of Us: This is very very inspiring! A riveting adventure of how America was invented, America: Story of Us focuses on the people, ideas and events that built our nation, covering 400 years of American history in the most extensive and in-depth television series ever produced by History channel.

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2013-01-30 at 00:52.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 20:18   Link #19
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Try checking Filtered Excellence every week they always recommend some good Docs.

http://theinterrobang.com/2012/12/gi...of-excellence/

There is a link to their last years worth of recommendations. Keep in mind they aren't all documentaries but that page has a ton of good ones on it.
Old 2013-01-29, 20:29   Link #20
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Um watch some documentaries by Morgan Spurlock....

Idk many doco's that aren't political or historical though. Maybe Borat?
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote