AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-21, 12:17   Link #21
Hmm....

As a novel reader, my only impression about this episode is RUSHED and nothing else. Onward, to anime viewer's opinion
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:28   Link #22
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
As a novel reader, my only impression about this episode is RUSHED and nothing else. Onward, to anime viewer's opinion
I read them except for the newest release yet I don't allow myself to overrate the work that much to blind my opinion as a LN reader . The lesson is always keep the expectations low in order to get the better enjoyment or not getting too much dissapointed .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:36   Link #23
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Tbh, if your enjoyment of the SAO anime entirely predicates on it not being a shortened version of the story in the novels, then you might as well drop it now and save yourself the headache.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:36   Link #24
tsunade666

Okay...................... who is the one who directed this episode? (with emotionless tone)
or the staff behind this episode because it felt superficial at all to none existing emotion. Knowing who's behind it is better so I know who to blame on it because I felt JC staff do better in directing than this episode (which I never did before considering JC's track record)

Spoiler for 03:

I maybe expecting a lot on this series because I know the original material and episode 01 gave it an okay but episode 02 disappoints me and now episode 03 .... really gave me a huge doubt on it. Maybe I should start lowering my standards for the episodes and just think of them the same way I watch the other shows (without expectations at all) the directing is pretty rushed and crude if you ask me that you can't even feel pity for the characters or their inner turmoil or problems. Sure in one part of the episode . Kirito and Sachin talks but that talk also felt nothing for me. And then the scene with death...... >_> I don't felt anything when I see them die one by one. And the hate of their leader? I don't even felt it either and it felt that they just show it to show his angry. Kirito's feelings aren't also showing well for me and specially that mad rushed at the end and his anger towards his first friend in SAO. Nothing is right for me cause their is no time to make it through you.

And finally the scene which made me sad in the novel also gave me another feeling. I feel sad, that part gave it but also aside from sad anger and disappointment on the pace and the way they handle this arc. This arc is one of my favorite and they just do it in one episode and rushed the feelings that should be brought by it.

I like SAO and I won't mind watching SAO arc only for 2 cours. So the rushing of things is bad for me. If they want to do the next arc then its up to them but for me. From this episode onward. I will lower my standards and won't be expecting fate/zero level expectations which was brought to me by episode 01 but been trashed by episode 02. Such disappointment and this is probably the first time in I gave that kind of score on an anime which I like and waited for.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:41   Link #25
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
I read them except for the newest release yet I don't allow myself to overrate the work that much to blind my opinion as a LN reader . The lesson is always keep the expectations low in order to get the better enjoyment or not getting too much dissapointed .
This.

Though I can't help to feel a storm coming

Regarding the episode itself:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lantern; 2012-07-21 at 13:42.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:45   Link #26
Hmm....

Quote:
I tried to to do that, keep my expectation very very low, pretend to be anime-only viewer and so on. I still find it RUSHED
If I know myself well enough I know that I would fail pretending not to know anything So I will just wait and read anime viewers's untainted opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Tbh, if your enjoyment of the SAO anime entirely predicates on it not being a shortened version of the story in the novels, then you might as well drop it now and save yourself the headache.
My enjoyment of SAO anime would be seeing what is to be cut and what is to be animated.
So far, It seem my opinion and that of anime studio's is differ greatly. If it continue this way, I may really have to drop it. But since this is SAO, I will gladly endure this headache for a few more weeks, at least, until they start the main story.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:52   Link #27
Rovert10

This anime was hyped to hell and people probably expected way too much out of it.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:55   Link #28
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
This anime was hyped to hell and people probably expected way too much out of it.
Pretty much. It doesn't help that some people expect a direct translation, and not an adaptation..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 12:56   Link #29
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I apologise beforehand if this sounds arrogant, but if you can't disconnect yourself from the source material, pretending won't help.

Especially if there's that iffy feeling of 'what was cut, what got through, how they did it' lingering in the viewing experience. That alone pretty much means that there's a massive bias, even if you're not directly putting them to comparison.

It's best to be yourself, state the perspective you came from and discuss the feelings and thoughts as per your opinion.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:09   Link #30
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As a anime only watcher, I felt this episode was even more rushed than episode 2:

Spoiler for Episode 3:

From what I can see, the scripters are trying to rush towards "serious business" or anything that can be considered as an arc. But right now, it is nearly painful to watch considering this is not even an info dump: it is nearly a picture book with little substance.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:17   Link #31
Marina2

Ep.3
Spoiler for Ep.3:

.................................................. .................

To people who about to start reading novel - Take this as a tip

Only read a part of novel that already shown in anime (Watch anime first, read novel later)

- You won't know or notice what were cut out in anime version and you can enjoy it more. Moreover, when you go to read novel, you will see scenes that were cut out in anime.Those scene will make story feel even more perfect and enjoyable to you. In the end, you will like both anime and novel version because both version are "fresh" to you

However, if you read novel first, when you watch anime, you will feel "Why did they cut out so many thing?, I can't enjoy this" like many people here.

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-07-21 at 13:27.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:17   Link #32
Miraluka
Banned

Even Fate/Zero had problems rushed things and cut down a lot of talking and the first episodes were a trip to dreamland cause they were boring. There wasn't enough space to show off the whole contents.

These are Side Stories that the author made to expand the main first story, but I didn't care at all about them until the anime got announced .

Quote:
I tried to to do that, keep my expectation very very low, pretend to be anime-only viewer and so on. I still find it RUSHED
If I know myself well enough I know that I would fail pretending not to know anything So I will just wait and read anime viewers's untainted opinions

My enjoyment of SAO anime would be seeing what is to be cut and what is to be animated.
So far, It seem my opinion and that of anime studio's is differ greatly. If it continue this way, I may really have to drop it. But since this is SAO, I will gladly endure this headache for a few more weeks, at least, until they start the main story.
I'm myself. When watching the anime my mind automatically explains what I see with I what know from. Maybe thats why .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Tto people that about to start reading novel - Take this as a tip

Only read a part of novel that already shown in anime (Watch anime first, read novel later)

- You won't know or notice what were cut out in anime version and you will enjoy it fully. Moreover, when you go to read novel, you will see scenes that were cut out in anime which make story feel more perfect and more enjoyable. In the end, you will like both anime and novel version because both version are "fresh" to you

However, if you read novel first, when you watch anime, you will feel "Why did they cut out so many thing?, I can't fully enjoy this" like many people here.
I don't know about that but the first episode made BT servers to crash down because there was a flood of users that wanted to compare the anime and the novels .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:20   Link #33
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

As per the previous episode it felt kinda short. But that's expected by now I guess. 20 minutes feel very fast indeed when you are seeing things visually rather than reading detailed text. Still it went through most of what was necessary to convey the main issues.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:31   Link #34
kyp275
Meh

@Lantern

Being Lancer is suffering

Quote:
call me crazy, but that sounds to me like a guaranteed way to not enjoy any adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I apologise beforehand if this sounds arrogant, but if you can't disconnect yourself from the source material, pretending won't help.
pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As a anime only watcher, I felt this episode was even more rushed than episode 2:

Spoiler for Episode 3:

From what I can see, the scripters are trying to rush towards "serious business" or anything that can be considered as an arc. But right now, it is nearly painful to watch considering this is not even an info dump: it is nearly a picture book with little substance.
The way I see it...

Spoiler for ep.3:

btw, what do you guys think of Sachi's VA? for some reason she didn't sound quite right to me :/
Old 2012-07-21, 13:32   Link #35
tsunade666

Quote:
Even Fate/Zero had problems rushed things and cut down a lot of talking and the first episodes were a trip to dreamland cause they were boring. There wasn't enough space to show off the whole contents.
Fate/zero did cut something but it didn't felt this rushed even an anime viewer Klashikari felt that its rushed.

And I also turned my brains off when watching but the first scene you saw is already questionable because he just pops there out of no where I remember in the end of episode 02. He should still be on floor 2 but what floor are they now? and he is already level 40!!! when they say they are level 20 and he also said he is 20 (or so I think, I think he said ni ju? which is 20 right?)

then the transition of emotions look fake to me

the only good part was when Kirito was slashing down the enemy. They spend lots of seconds their but they don't spend time to expand the character of the said people who died in this episode.

THEY should be a trauma to Kirito to make him go suicidal against an unknown enemy but the introduction and development for them, specially Sachin is lacking.

It felt that "lets just get it over with so we can start the main story already"

but for me this small or side story is what make the main story great because it should flesh out and introduce the characters so you can sympathize or understand them.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:33   Link #36
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i for one really enjoyed the episode, the best so far, its true we dont see much interaction with kirito and the kuroneko brigade, but you can asume he spent some time with them since he leveled 7 times with them, and the emotional scene really got to me, other thing its that i didnt expect sachi to die, not since she appears the op and beign her first episode, but she certainly did raise a death flag, in the end this kind of development make the series more interesting.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:33   Link #37
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
From what I can see, the scripters are trying to rush towards "serious business" or anything that can be considered as an arc.
Spoiler for Structure of the story to this point:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 13:34   Link #38
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
And I also turned my brains off when watching but the first scene you saw is already questionable because he just pops there out of no where I remember in the end of episode 02. He should still be on floor 2 but what floor are they now? and he is already level 40!!! when they say they are level 20 and he also said he is 20 (or so I think, I think he said ni ju? which is 20 right?)

it's called a time skip, as there isn't much material between Aria and RNR to adapt anyway.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:38   Link #39
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Really, the whole "but they are just side stories!" doesn't cut it at all. Sure, if the light novel could manage to throw people to high floors right after the whole incident period, that's fine for the format. But not using these side stories would be a quite weird decision from an anime perspective, which has no luxury in info dump considering the 20 min limit, so using the side stories as a way to give information and cohesion in the background of the story is obviously logical.

But that is exactly not a reason to rush with such pace, side stories or not.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:39   Link #40
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
it's called a time skip, as there isn't much material between Aria and RNR to adapt anyway.
well they can add narration or info right? like what they did with episode 1 ending. That by December 2000+ already died and first floor isn't cleared yet.

They don't even say time skip or I don't even see a hint that they did a time skip. The first I saw is the cups of wine and Kirito sitting in the side table there are plenty of ways to make the transition of things not that bad.