AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-27, 11:42   Link #1
Senden

Other good gundam series?

Okay, i've been checking on ebay lately and there seems to be quite a few unknown gundam series on there such as G Gundam, Gundam Force and a few others, is there any of them which you guys would recommend? I've currently seen and own, Gundam Seed, Destiny, Wing, and 0079.
Old 2007-02-27, 16:09   Link #2
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

Based on what you've seen, it should be fairly easy to recommend:

-08th MS Team: 11-12 episode OAV. In the end, this one's more of a love story than anything, and a good one at that, but it's far from just a one-trick pony. It's set during the One Year War and features the most gritty, "real" combat to be featured in Gundam. Great plot/characters and animation, and some really well-done action sequences (The series features what's definitely one of the best fight scenes in the franchise in one of its later episodes)

-Zeta Gundam: The original sequel to 0079, and regarded by many as the franchise's best. If you're a fan enough of the original, and don't mind the dated animation and whatnot, this is a must-see. It's a classic. (And after you finish Zeta, there's the Char's Counterattack movie, which wraps up the original Universal Century story saga)

-0083/Stardust Memory: Something that you can watch before, but I would recommend watching after Zeta. It's a 13-episode OAV, which is effectively a prequel to set up the situation at the start of Zeta (so if you're more of a fan of just pure chronology instead of production, then as said, there's no problems watching this before Zeta). This was essentially made for 2 purposes: 1) As mentioned, to explain events that happened between the original and Zeta. It details the events of something which was mentioned in Zeta a few times. 2) Provide Gundam vs Gundam action on an epic scale.
Old 2007-02-27, 16:56   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I posted this somewhere else, but I think it applies here too..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
In all honesty if Turn A had no good or intense action I would never have enjoyed it as much...Yes I love stuff like great storylines and unique character aspects but I'm into Gundam because of the mecha action in addition to the cool bravado while fighting...I just think people who haven't seen it believe it doesn't have great action...IT DOES!! Lots of great action, but it's just,...different...It's more intimate and surprising...A trillion beams flying around is cool to a point, but it gets stale after seeing it so much...In Turn-A the action is great because it is adventerous and doesn't desensitize the viewer by pimping all the great stuff in every scene so when something amazing DOES HAPPEN it's more surprising and leaves you in awe...Plus I'm a person who loves impression or expression art and can get as much out a symbolic artistic moment (Like the scene where Turn-A jumps out of Moon-lake with his cloak on) as I can get out of actually fast-paced animated action scenes...

This series has so much to offer in symbolism and genre-clashing...The culture-clash that happens from thousands of years in the future is awesome...Egyptian heritage mixed with red indian values...Old school Tuskeegee airplanes fighting it out with futuristic spaceships...People applying their basic knowledge of human technology to get alien technology to work for them...It's really something else especially if you've seen alot of the other Gundam shows where it's so cool to see mobile suits and ships from different G-shows appear and be successfully utilized...Perhaps my all-time favorite scene in Gundam history appears in this show when we see the dark history on the video screens as the epic fight hits a climax...It's just so good, I hate for people to miss out because in the first few eps the Gundam or character designs got on their nerves...The series doesn't really get rolling til about ep 15, then the adventure takes off...
Basically give Turn-A Gundam a chance...
Old 2007-02-27, 17:03   Link #4
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

Mhm. I'd also recommend Turn-A, though Senden was talking about buying stuff, so I had kept my suggestions to what's been released in North America.
Old 2007-02-27, 17:11   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaCrescent View Post
Mhm. I'd also recommend Turn-A, though Senden was talking about buying stuff, so I had kept my suggestions to what's been released in North America.
^While I don't think it's ever been dubbed...I'm sure it's available in a box set somewhere on ebay or where anime is sold...

It's also available not to mention where I CAN'T mention^^
Old 2007-02-27, 17:40   Link #6
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^While I don't think it's ever been dubbed...I'm sure it's available in a box set somewhere on ebay or where anime is sold...

It's also available not to mention where I CAN'T mention^^
x_X I'd say it's the other way around. It's not Licensed, so it's fine enough to download (AnimeSuki lists it). Whereas buying it subtitled only means you're paying for a Taiwanese/Hong Kong bootleg - Or even worse, somebody who's burned fansubs onto DVD-Rs.
Old 2007-03-01, 14:39   Link #7
Senden

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will watch them in the order listed. I planned on buying Zeta gundam after 0079 anyway but I've just went and bought the 08th ms team thing from ebay too so I will watch that after 0079.
Old 2007-03-02, 12:02   Link #8
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I can suggest Gundam X.

Although it was not as powerful as Gundam Seed, I still enjoyed watching it.
Closed Thread