AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-01, 16:17   Link #161
Akito

I'm not sure if this had already been asked, but here it goes:

What type is Suzumiya Haruhi? (personality or character 'staple')

Tsundere???
Old 2006-06-01, 16:18   Link #162
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito
I'm not sure if this had already been asked, but here it goes:

What type is Suzumiya Haruhi? (personality or character 'staple')

Tsundere???
Yep, definitely tsundere. Pretty obvious I think.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-01, 16:37   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Warp factor Tsundere.... but her own unique twists (as all good characters should have some twist out of the archetype or they'd be boring).
Old 2006-06-01, 16:40   Link #164
Akito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Warp factor Tsundere.... but her own unique twists (as all good characters should have some twist out of the archetype or they'd be boring).
Well I see that Haruhi is so unique that is making the anime so popular.
different from like Shana that is explicitly tsundere.

the kind of tsundere of Haruhi is sometimes not so annoying as Shana´s.

Haruhii suki!!!!!!
Old 2006-06-01, 16:46   Link #165
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well in this story, the archetypes are taken to extremes. Like I've never seen any other character that glows with moeness as much as Mikuru or a character that matches Yuki's level of quietness.

Haruhi's tsundere level is taken to such extremes that she totally hates humans in the first place but actually falls in love with one really annoying human lol.

edit: One other extreme archetype would be Tsuruya lol, shes probably the most hyper genki girl ever.

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-06-01 at 18:33.
Old 2006-06-02, 21:43   Link #166
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Why is everyone comparing Shana with Haruhi? True the art illustrator is the same person, but the authors are different!
Old 2006-06-02, 23:46   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not sure why the authors being the same or different is relative here.... the discussion is over character archetypes. Can Haruhi be considered a derivative of the "tsundere" archetype? She has many elements of the "violent but cute and secretly cuddly" type but she has her own features that may be unique.
Old 2006-06-03, 00:09   Link #168
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm not sure why the authors being the same or different is relative here.... the discussion is over character archetypes. Can Haruhi be considered a derivative of the "tsundere" archetype? She has many elements of the "violent but cute and secretly cuddly" type but she has her own features that may be unique.
Haruhi is a tsundere, she's just a rare case because her dere% is far lower than the usual tsundere character.

Average tsunderes have a good balance of tsun and dere (70/30, 50/50, 40/60, etc.), Haruhi, on the other hand, is more like 90% tsun / 10% dere. As a result, some people might not recognize her dere as dere. But even though her dere is rare, as long as it's there, Haruhi counts as a tsundere.

(In fact, some people probably like Haruhi because she has the 90/10 mix. It makes her dere all the more significant and, er, valuable?)
Old 2006-06-03, 00:15   Link #169
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(obligatory applause for the absolutely terrible rhyming)
Old 2006-06-03, 02:11   Link #170
eVaX
Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to eVaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
In fact, some people probably like Haruhi because she has the 90/10 mix. It makes her dere all the more significant and, er, valuable?)
I generally agree with the tsun>dere statement for that reason.

Guess thats why I dislike Belldandy, among other reasons, since she's like a 100% dere with her constant diabetic-inducing sweetness.

But I didn't really like Naru's "I'll roundhouse kick you in the face every single time you look at me" from LH either, even though she had a very high tsun %. Haruhi has that insane/naive tsun persona that's irresistable.

Guess in the end, it is how likeable the character is in overall and not the tsundere combination.

Question: So is there actually a sequel to Mikurun-run in the novel? Or did Haruhi just make a huge fat lie?
Old 2006-06-03, 05:36   Link #171
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Haruhi is only dere because of the anime...blame the anime and read the novel...

Anyways when I watch the anime again(which is the 8th time now...played in 'shuffle' mode on my windows media player), Haruhi's doesn't seem tsun to me...she's just very self-centered...
Old 2006-06-03, 07:23   Link #172
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVaX
Question: So is there actually a sequel to Mikurun-run in the novel? Or did Haruhi just make a huge fat lie?
Haruhi is not inclinded to lying... She can lie, but I don't see why she would want to in this case.

After all, Harhi enjoyed making the first movie, and has no reason to not make another. Sure, it causes major issues (lots of closed-space problems... You may or may not see an explanation in future episodes, but it's related to the anomalies in episode 00, like the talking cat or the Mikuru beam.) for Kyon and the gang, but Haruhi doesn't know that.
Old 2006-06-03, 15:19   Link #173
M.D. Geist

Can anybody tell me how haruhi is broadcasted ?!

Is it HD like 720i / p or just normal pal resolution (or even lower)?

Some say these 1280x720 (@120fps) are just upscaled, however they do look better than afks 640x360 ...

Or does it use a resolution like 8xx * 6xx ? *confused*
Old 2006-06-03, 15:29   Link #174
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVaX
As of now (volume 8, March in the novel), no, not yet. But knowing Tanigawa Nagaru, he usually follows up on his forshadowings/underplots. Maybe we'll see a new "Asahina Mikuru no Bouken" when the new school year starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
Haruhi is only dere because of the anime...blame the anime and read the novel...
Haruhi's dere is more subtle in the novel, but it's there (hence my comment "some people might not recognize her dere as dere").

- The ponytail is a good example.
- Shoushitsu's (vol.4) ending scene at the hospital was another.
- Near the end of Inbou (vol.7), Haruhi gave her hand-made chocolate (cake), which took her all night to make, to Kyon on Valentine day while making a bunch of excuses about it.
- Even the last scene in "Editor In Chief ★ Straight Ahead!" (vol.8), where Haruhi showed an unnatural level of interest for Kyon's "former girlfriend" (she pushed him to the ground and rode on top of him ) are all signs of Haruhi's dere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
Anyways when I watch the anime again(which is the 8th time now...played in 'shuffle' mode on my windows media player), Haruhi's doesn't seem tsun to me...she's just very self-centered...
A character is tsundere when she (or he) takes on a very harsh and unkind attitude (tsuntsun) towards the main character at first, but over time, begins to show signs of affection and care (deredere) for the main character. There are various tsundere types. Before she cut her hair, Haruhi was a Loner tsundere type. After the SOS-dan was created, Haruhi became an Arrogant/High Pride tsundere.

(Since it sounds like you can read Japanese) Refer to the Japanese wiki entry on tsundere for more info. Notice how Haruhi is listed on the tsundere list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D. Geist
Can anybody tell me how haruhi is broadcasted ?!

Is it HD like 720i / p or just normal pal resolution (or even lower)?

Some say these 1280x720 (@120fps) are just upscaled, however they do look better than afks 640x360 ...

Or does it use a resolution like 8xx * 6xx ? *confused*
Here's a post from a while ago where I noted the difference between the hi-res and the normal version:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=434

The hi-res version isn't HD (it if was, the file size would've been ridiculous). I heard Chiba TV is offering HD contents for their programs, but I don't think that applies to this either.

The important thing is that the hi-res versions do look far better than the regular 704x396 versions, that's all that matters to me.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-06-03 at 15:44.
Old 2006-06-03, 17:44   Link #175
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
hey btw, what does the M stand for on their uniform? is it the name of their school or something?... hmm... what is the name of their school anyway

禁則事項です
Old 2006-06-03, 18:26   Link #176
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXeD
*twitch* O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Sush, we really need you to give us, or at least me, a concise summary of Volume 8.. I can't wait forever for the chinese version.............. T__T
Wouldn't it be more fun to find out for yourself?

Anyway, I can provide a short summary, in case people want to know what it's about. I'm going to avoid significant spoilers though, so it won't be a "complete" summary.

Volume 8 (涼宮ハルヒの憤慨, Suzumiya Haruhi no Fungai) is made up of two medium-sized stories,
"Editor In Chief ★ Straight Ahead!" (編集長★一直線!) and "Wandering Shadow" (ワンダリング・シャドウ).

Spoiler for Editor In Chief ★ Straight Ahead!:

Spoiler for Wandering Shadow:
Old 2006-06-04, 21:19   Link #177
Furudanuki

Question for those who have read the chapter of the novel dealing with the events that take place in episode 10 of the anime.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-04, 21:26   Link #178
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Question for those who have read the chapter of the novel dealing with the events that take place in episode 10 of the anime.
Spoiler:
I'm not very sure and may not be correct but:

Spoiler:

Old 2006-06-04, 22:44   Link #179
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y

Wouldn't it be more fun to find out for yourself?

Anyway, I can provide a short summary, in case people want to know what it's about. I'm going to avoid significant spoilers though, so it won't be a "complete" summary.

Volume 8 (涼宮ハルヒの憤慨, Suzumiya Haruhi no Fungai) is made up of two medium-sized stories,
"Editor In Chief ★ Straight Ahead!" (編集長★一直線!) and "Wandering Shadow" (ワンダリング・シャドウ).

Spoiler for Editor In Chief ★ Straight Ahead!:
That sounds almost right...I'm still stuck at Editor In Chief though, so I havn't read Wandering Shadow.
Old 2006-06-05, 01:11   Link #180
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Why Haruhi wants horseride Kyon like that? Is she really that jealous?