AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-09, 08:49   Link #3001
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It is inevitable that in our lifetime, we would need to mass produce Fission power plants as a stop-gap technology to renewables.
Hear, hear
Old 2012-11-09, 10:37   Link #3002
GundamFan0083

Layoff bomb detonates; Large corporations join small businesses in announcing mass cuts
http://twitchy.com/2012/11/08/layoff...ing-mass-cuts/

Hispanic group demands national amnesty for 11 million illegals

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/09/hi...#ixzz2BjwUXKJg

Dominance of GOP Governors Continues
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/20...ors-continues/

Here's a little something we ALL should consider in my opinion:

A few pages back there was discussion about the future of the GOP. I believe that Thomas Sowell puts forward an excellent essay on this subject.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-11-09 at 11:54.
Old 2012-11-09, 12:35   Link #3003
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Since *nothing* changed in the business climate between last week and this week, I have to call these "result of election" business layoffs the acts of three year old infantile jackasses who are terrible at business.

They're letting their retarded emotions run their business instead of the calculus fundamentals involving the bottom line. If the laws actually change or taxes actually go up? Fine, do the math and make the choices... though I bet the choices don't actually require layoffs that often.

No respect for these twits. Frankly, employees done this way should be filing lawsuits -- there's a negative bottom line impact.

As for Defense companies like Boeing or Lockheed-Martin, they lay people off in droves every year (and then hire them back when the next contract comes in). The restructuring of the DoD will cause turmoil as it always has every 5-10 years.

Hell, Lockheed-Martin is infamous for hiring people up for projects they haven't won yet -- people move their entire lives to new towns -- L-M loses the bid and then fires everyone. Thousands screwed, film at 11.
Old 2012-11-09, 12:41   Link #3004
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, since we've gone all "economics" thought I'd come in here and chime in with some observations. Here's something I contributed over on the news thread yesterday:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...30#post4431030

Which coincides with data today on improved housing data and improved consumer confidence.

Bloomberg News: Confidence among U.S. consumers rose more than forecast in November, reaching a five-year high as the labor market showed signs of improvement.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1780..._forecast.html

Take what you will from all this, as the fiscal cliff and household debt balances remain major issues, but there are some positive signs.

Outlook remains uncertain at this time
Old 2012-11-09, 12:59   Link #3005
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hell, Lockheed-Martin is infamous for hiring people up for projects they haven't won yet -- people move their entire lives to new towns -- L-M loses the bid and then fires everyone. Thousands screwed, film at 11.
They tend to be overconfident, considering the fact that they run most of USAF's advanced aircraft projects.

I don't see why they are laying off in masses their employees. Management is a good thing to lay off (I consider companies with too many non-technology dept managers as inefficient), however if they are laying off ENGINEERS it is a different issue, considering they are the driving factors of these companies. However, they have to consider that the world is pretty interested in buying up their F-35s and that is one hell of a job creator.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-11-09, 13:10   Link #3006
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They tend to be overconfident, considering the fact that they run most of USAF's advanced aircraft projects.

I don't see why they are laying off in masses their employees. Management is a good thing to lay off (I consider companies with too many non-technology dept managers as inefficient), however if they are laying off ENGINEERS it is a different issue, considering they are the driving factors of these companies. However, they have to consider that the world is pretty interested in buying up their F-35s and that is one hell of a job creator.
The "temper tantrum" layoffs are mostly happening in smaller businesses. Those idiots are currently getting the attention of the alternative blogo-news streams.

The defense company layoffs have been in the works for months as part of the natural business cycle. Conservative media are simply creating connections to the election that don't exist. In Boeing's case, its just a resizing to reduce the number of middle management layers - no engineers involved. I assume L-M is doing the same. Frankly, the next week or two we're going to see a lot of "bad reporting" from the right wing media and blogosphere as they work through their anger/grief/denial stages.
Old 2012-11-09, 14:45   Link #3007
Xion Valkyrie

Well, with the defense cuts coming in, I can see why they'd lay people off.
Old 2012-11-09, 16:28   Link #3008
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

btw is Florida still counting?
Old 2012-11-09, 17:01   Link #3009
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
The "temper tantrum" layoffs are mostly happening in smaller businesses. Those idiots are currently getting the attention of the alternative blogo-news streams.
Yeah, seen plenty of this on a friend's page, saying they had to lay off people or shut down. I'd like to see their business expenses...
Old 2012-11-09, 17:04   Link #3010
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Well, with the defense cuts coming in, I can see why they'd lay people off.
Man if the U.S defence budgets can be cut it would go a long way towards helping the deficit. In fact i remember hearing that the budget could be balanced overnight almost by cutting out wasteful defence spending but not sure if that's actually true. Sounds plausible though considering just how much of the GDP it takes up.
Old 2012-11-09, 17:12   Link #3011
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Yeah, seen plenty of this on a friend's page, saying they had to lay off people or shut down. I'd like to see their business expenses...
See, this is just bullshit. Literally nothing changed between last week and this week. No laws were passed, no new taxes initiated, consumer spending actually went up, the stock market bumped a bit but again only because investors reacted emotionally instead of to any actual changes in the companies invested in. It bumps more when some prime minister gets caught having an affair.

And yeah, "business expenses" .... let's see my country club dues versus Joe-Bob losing his house trying to find another job because I canned him. Oh, I like the idea of Joe-Bob starving, I'll go with that.

Before I'd lay anyone off, I'd be looking at a lot of other things, price of product/services, where expenses can be cut, my perks, across-the-board hour reductions (e.g. 35 hrs/wk versus 40) --- and that's assuming I was actually seeing a real change in cost of operations.

There has been no real change in cost of operations.
Old 2012-11-09, 17:21   Link #3012
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

That is also amusing, because some of these people like to take vacations every year, see that threatened by Obamacare...but hate people with "entitlement" issues
Old 2012-11-09, 17:42   Link #3013
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

James Moore (long time Texas columnist and commentator) sums up Karl Rove:

Quote:
He has chased away almost every constituency [from the GOP] other than white males with money and anger issues.
http://www.moorethink.com/

More hilarity/tragedy, Governor Rick Perry and Satan - http://www.moorethink.com/2012/09/25...tan-and-state/

Racial anger in Texas and the South - http://www.moorethink.com/2012/09/20...ook-down-upon/
Old 2012-11-09, 17:46   Link #3014
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
See, this is just bullshit. Literally nothing changed between last week and this week. No laws were passed, no new taxes initiated, consumer spending actually went up, the stock market bumped a bit but again only because investors reacted emotionally instead of to any actual changes in the companies invested in. It bumps more when some prime minister gets caught having an affair.

And yeah, "business expenses" .... let's see my country club dues versus Joe-Bob losing his house trying to find another job because I canned him. Oh, I like the idea of Joe-Bob starving, I'll go with that.

Before I'd lay anyone off, I'd be looking at a lot of other things, price of product/services, where expenses can be cut, my perks, across-the-board hour reductions (e.g. 35 hrs/wk versus 40) --- and that's assuming I was actually seeing a real change in cost of operations.

There has been no real change in cost of operations.
Well, the excuse they're using is that the changes were already there, or in the tubes, (Obamacare), but that they were hoping to tough it out till Romney arrived to save the day.

Not that I don't agree with you. If they're the kind of people to cut their nose to spite their face, there's no reason to be guided by them.
Old 2012-11-09, 17:53   Link #3015
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama insists on tax hike for rich as part of fiscal deal
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A80WV20121109
Old 2012-11-09, 18:01   Link #3016
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And the "creepy misinformed rape" Republicans went down zero for nine. Here's a rundown on what they said, in their own words, and what happened.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Keep in mind that these guys and their like-minded types had spent 2010-2012 actively proposing and at the state level, passing restrictions (based on not a lick of science, rationale, or compassion as far as I'm concerned). It is interesting to see the Latino positions on the matter - that actually surprised me.
Old 2012-11-09, 18:17   Link #3017
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
It is interesting to see the Latino positions on the matter - that actually surprised me.
It did surprised me as well,probably because how often I read about the lation voter being more conservative and being closer of the position of the Church.

Lessons learned from 2012
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83273.html

Sorry, but the second point ( ''Democrats have a liberal problem'' ) look like bullshit to me.
Old 2012-11-09, 18:29   Link #3018
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Obama insists on tax hike for rich as part of fiscal deal
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A80WV20121109
I would like to say the opposite, that the republicans insist that tax cuts for the rich help the economy, even when proven otherwise.
Old 2012-11-09, 20:37   Link #3019
Ruby Princess

I wish that Obama and Romney could both be president because they're both hot. I understand Obama Girl's infatuation with our president because he's quite the hottie, but I wouldn't mind wearing some Mittens either.
Old 2012-11-09, 20:53   Link #3020
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
I wish that Obama and Romney could both be president because they're both hot. I understand Obama Girl's infatuation with our president because he's quite the hottie, but I wouldn't mind wearing some Mittens either.
It would solve a great many things, and cause more problems as well. But I see your point too!
Closed Thread