AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-02, 05:08   Link #21
Atarun
Yuri fangirl

Send a message via MSN to Atarun
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
I agree, American Society is too conservative to let a lesbian romance sell well.
Excuse my ignorance but don't you have Sailor Moon, Versailles no Bara or Card Captor Sakura in America ?
If we forget the eleventh episode of Mariamite (even though...), I think we can say those series have at least as much yuri as Mariamite...
All of them are very famous and loved in France.
And I don't think it's because our society isn't conservative, it's just that many people are smart enough to make the difference between "being fan of a yuri anime" and "being gay" (huuuuuuuge difference)... Then selling a "lesbian romance" as you call it just don't mean approve every right gays could ask for

...don't kill me
Old 2004-05-02, 08:36   Link #22
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarun
Excuse my ignorance but don't you have Sailor Moon, Versailles no Bara or Card Captor Sakura in America ?

...don't kill me
Well, SM and CCS are popular in America, but both series are essentially about girls fighting against villains, superhero style. They have an obvious 'in' for American companies that MariMite, a series about high school girls dealing with their social place at school does not. (Rose of Versailles has not been picked up here). And the yuri qualities were edited out of both SM and CCS quite vigourously when it came to the TV dub.

That said, I do think MariMite will eventually be licensed, because we're at a point now where almost everything is being licensed. I can see it being marketed much the same way Haibane Renmei was, as a quiet, thoughtful series. Though Insane Yoshino (TM) might make that difficult.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:06   Link #23
laurore31

Hi,

i'm the creator of french marimite site (not official) http://mariamite.free.fr/

I think if you talk about this anime with internet friends and real friends ..... maybe this series will be licenced.

In fact, all the people, who saw Marimite because we talk about it, are now fan of this series.

my site has a great number of visitors (all over the world! )...

our work was rewarded, a French magazine named "Animeland" will then prepare a complete documentation on this series in their June issue. Then maybe a french editor will buy the licence (I think of the "Kaze" editor who published "onii-sama"). but in America you are much more numerous than we are, then I think you have more chances than us to have one day this series in DVD. In France, onii-sama was very well sold, so I wish to have the dvd of Maria-sama !!!

when I see all the anime DVD you have, France makes me think of a very small country, but the culture maybe are different. American editor (ADV, Geneon) maybe are affraid of this series style...

In Sailor Moon, the two girls are not the story center, just like Sakura. whereas in Maria-sama it is clear that the relations are more than ambiguous and it is the power of this story. When the editors will think about MariMite as a series which is elegant and contains intense and beautifull relations, perhaps they will realize that they make an error and thus will distribute the dvd.

then we all must talk about this series !!!!! and let people like it !! ;-)

i'm really sorry for my bad english...
Old 2004-05-03, 18:33   Link #24
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurore31
Hi,

our work was rewarded, a French magazine named "Animeland" will then prepare a complete documentation on this series in their June issue. Then maybe a french editor will buy the licence (I think of the "Kaze" editor who published "onii-sama").
how very lucky, I am referring to the licensing part. Thank you for creating the website and all the people who have visited it.

Quote:
when I see all the anime DVD you have, France makes me think of a very small country, but the culture maybe are different. American editor (ADV, Geneon) maybe are affraid of this series style...

In Sailor Moon, the two girls are not the story center, just like Sakura. whereas in Maria-sama it is clear that the relations are more than ambiguous and it is the power of this story. When the editors will think about MariMite as a series which is elegant and contains intense and beautifull relations, perhaps they will realize that they make an error and thus will distribute the dvd.

then we all must talk about this series !!!!! and let people like it !! ;-)

i'm really sorry for my bad english...
Now, where is the English version of "brother, dear brother (onii-sama)?"

Anyway, I ordered R2 DVD of Maria-sama ga Miteru. I don't care if I am going to starve, just in case it never get licensed in US.
Old 2004-05-04, 13:13   Link #25
laurore31

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
how very lucky, I am referring to the licensing part. Thank you for creating the website and all the people who have visited it.

Now, where is the English version of "brother, dear brother (onii-sama)?"

Anyway, I ordered R2 DVD of Maria-sama ga Miteru. I don't care if I am going to starve, just in case it never get licensed in US.
thank you very much for the website :-)

if we are sure that it never get licensed in US and France, then i will order R2 DVD of Maria-sama. but i'm disappointed because I don't speak japanese .... even if I know this series very well...

Brother, dear brother : french R2 DVDs contain the french subtitles and a french version (this french censured version was made in france for the TV; obviously, the childrens' parents were in anger and the TV stopped this series in France! The french "brother, dear brother" (named "très cher frère") was sold in 2 boxes (and each box contains a book). if you want to take a look:
http://www.kaze.fr/boutique-big.html?N=252
http://www.kaze.fr/boutique-big.html?N=238

in US, you don't have this series?
wahou ! the france was the first one to buy this licence !!!
Old 2004-05-04, 13:40   Link #26
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Brother, dear brother : french R2 DVDs contain the french subtitles and a french version (this french censured version was made in france for the TV; obviously, the childrens' parents were in anger and the TV stopped this series in France!
I heard the psychologists who were working for the TV network succeeded into figuring out some of the themes of the series, in spite of all the hacking it suffered. Hence the end of the airing of DBD on TV.

To propose the 10 dubbed/massacred episodes in the first DVD box is, I think, quite an ironic "bonus". ^^

Btw the quality of the video seemed rather low, to me. Was it a direct transfert from the original VHS or what ?

Quote:
wahou ! the france was the first one to buy this licence
And Rose of Versailles. And Grendizer.
Americans have... Princess Tutu, Kodocha and Yakumo Tatsu, among many others, so I think we are roughly even. ^_____^

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2004-05-04 at 14:21.
Old 2004-05-06, 11:56   Link #27
Atarun
Yuri fangirl

Quote:
i'm the creator of french marimite site (not official) http://mariamite.free.fr/
I wanted to thank you for that (I have written you an email but I didn’t recieve an answer ) !
Your site is just great and when I tell my friends a french fansite exists, they’re a lot less reluctant to download the series !

Quote:
I think if you talk about this anime with internet friends and real friends ..... maybe this series will be licenced.
I’m working hard, be sure

Quote:
our work was rewarded, a French magazine named "Animeland" will then prepare a complete documentation on this series in their June issue.
Well, well, that’s great news ! !
Think I’ll buy the June issue (and make sure friends of mine read it, of course)

Quote:
Yeah, that’s true we have less licensed animes in France than in America… But I just don’t think it’s because we’re a small country : we ARE a small country and yet we have far more licensed mangas (paper version, lol) than they have in USA (as far as I know) ! Think it’s just a matter of time… but that’s my vision of the problem, huh
Old 2004-05-06, 14:26   Link #28
laurore31

Atarun : thank you for the website.
I received your email and I answered I am sure. Nadia says something to me, look at your email box better. you have one from me. I always answer to the series fans. I didn't know we had more mangas in France that they have in US ; I am delighted to know it

Ialdaboth : i didn't see the french version of "brother dear brother", I don't like massacred episode ! Even if the chara relations are really destructive, i really like this series, because all that you think of the bottom of you is told as clearly and distinctly in the series the author knows the women very well.

The quality of video depends on the date of creation. and I was not shocked, I found it rather good compared to other series of this same time. I don't think it comes from VHS, ah maybe the french version but i didn't see it. the subtitle version has a sizeable quality.
Old 2004-05-09, 11:58   Link #29
Atarun
Yuri fangirl

Quote:
I didn't know we had more mangas in France that they have in US
In fact I didn't know it either...
I just guessed it by the number of series we have that are "scanlated" by american teams... If they don't translate licensed stuff, then they have almost no series compared to us...
Maybe they systematically license the series we don't but I doubt it.
Old 2004-05-09, 12:36   Link #30
Ialdaboth

In fact, these past 3 years, more and more mangas have been edited in the US...

Look at what a company like Tokyopop is doing...
Old 2004-05-09, 12:58   Link #31
Atarun
Yuri fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
In fact, these past 3 years, more and more mangas have been edited in the US...

Look at what a company like Tokyopop is doing...
That's even more the case here, you know.
In fact, the mangas' market has been booming in the past 2 years (I know what I say, cause I started my collection more than two years ago).
But still, it seems to me you couldn't have as much mangas as we do now, unless you have a huge amount of illicit scanlations...
Old 2004-05-10, 03:30   Link #32
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

Quote:
If we forget the eleventh episode of Mariamite (even though...), I think we can say those series have at least as much yuri as Mariamite...
All of them are very famous and loved in France.
And I don't think it's because our society isn't conservative, it's just that many people are smart enough to make the difference between "being fan of a yuri anime" and "being gay" (huuuuuuuge difference)... Then selling a "lesbian romance" as you call it just don't mean approve every right gays could ask for

...don't kill me
Were there lesbians in Rose of Versailles? Which scene was this? (sorry I haven't seen in a few years, but I don't remember anyone having been lesbian...)

Is that French Oniisama e... boxed DVD sets, only available at that Kaze place? I looked it up at Amazon France, and couldn't find it listed there.. . (I'm actually interested in hearing it in French voices ^__^)

And back to Mari-mite, knowing a new season is coming, I really hope they produce more than 1 album for the new season, I'd like this series to have lots of music CD's (like Utena had 8!) I really like this type of musics. And something I'd really like (but doubt will ever see) is a Mari-mite music-box theme album. ^__^
Old 2004-05-10, 08:10   Link #33
Atarun
Yuri fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei's Cookies
Were there lesbians in Rose of Versailles? Which scene was this? (sorry I haven't seen in a few years, but I don't remember anyone having been lesbian...)
The young girl who lives with Oscar for a moment... I think Rosalie's her name but I'm not sure. She's in love with Oscar and, unlike about every other woman in the series, she knows Oscar's a woman but she loves her anyway.
Old 2004-05-11, 01:25   Link #34
laurore31

Rei's Cookies , if you live in France, you can buy Oniisama e at Fnac or Virgin store. But, the price is better here : www.manga-distribution.fr
the french title is: Tres cher Frere
http://www.manga-distribution.fr/md/...c1b79e690ba78a

but you must live in france because of DVD player zone and the stores send items only in france...

Atarun, i doubt america has more manga than we have. Iadaboth made a mistake, i think. and he doesn't think about scanlations....
Old 2004-05-11, 17:36   Link #35
Rosa_Gigantea

Quote:
The young girl who lives with Oscar for a moment... I think Rosalie's her name but I'm not sure. She's in love with Oscar and, unlike about every other woman in the series, she knows Oscar's a woman but she loves her anyway.
Rosalie had a crush on Oscar and in one episode she angst over having these weird feelings for her despite the fact she knows oscar is really a woman. Also note that Riyoko ikeda , creator of Rose of versailles, has done 2 other stories that featured lesbian love stories (Oniisama e and Claudine) but like most of her stories they end tragically.
Closed Thread