AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-02-16, 23:26   Link #281
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
When you save "mkv" with VDM, it's saving h264-vfw streams, which is functionally identical in all its failings to h264-in-avi. Please, save some kittens and help deprecate x264-vfw once and for all.
That's why I'm asking for help here.
Old 2009-02-17, 00:14   Link #282
ashye
Encoder

Easiest way out would probably be to use the x264 CL or meGUI to encode to raw .264 or mp4 and mux it with MKVMerge to .mkv

At 2200 bitrate, you get about 700 mb for 45 mins. If you want a smaller filesize, reduce the bitrate.
ashye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 07:58   Link #283
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
When you save "mkv" with VDM, it's saving h264-vfw streams, which is functionally identical in all its failings to h264-in-avi. Please, save some kittens and help deprecate x264-vfw once and for all.
Does that happen when I save a h264 video stream in mkv from MeGui too?
Old 2009-02-17, 08:05   Link #284
martino
makes no files now

No. MeGUI is just a GUI for CLI apps, doesn't use VfW at all.

<rant>That's why people should at least mess with the CLI and not depend on any silly GUIs to find out what the heck is actually going on.</rant>
Old 2009-02-17, 20:55   Link #285
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_blah View Post
Dup() or Dupped() in Avisynth
don't use dup
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 01:20   Link #286
guest0815

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
should at least mess with the CLI and not depend on any silly GUIs to find out what the heck is actually going on.</rant>
I encountered a problem when using the clis.
Using directshowsource or dss2 makes the dos-window pop up showing the commandline and doing nothing (but blocking the files for a few seconds until returning to the prompt) but they all do work when using MeGui. The same batchfiles and videos work as expected with the cli when using ffvideosource or avisource to load the videos.
It's the same for x264.exe and xvid_encraw.exe, the latter also shows "trying to retrieve width bla" and "avisynth detected" before stopping. The directshowfilters are ffdshow and xvid. A mencoder ffvhuff commandline doesn't care how the videos are opened in avisynth.

Spoiler:
guest0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 06:33   Link #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
don't use dup
why? I haven't seen any harm using it with threshold < 0.5
50119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 06:43   Link #288
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50119 View Post
why? I haven't seen any harm using it with threshold < 0.5
then you haven't looked hard enough

(hint: in most material you want at least SOME kind of dithering/grain to make it not block like shit in flat areas, particularly dark ones, and dup really screws with that, as well as with small mouth movements and stuff like that. the gains are insignificant anyway so just don't bother)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-02-19, 23:20   Link #289
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
x264 is efficient enough that it provides very little compression benefit nowadays. And I've also seen problems occur with settings of even 0.3 too, so it's Just Not Worth It.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 23:43   Link #290
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
then you haven't looked hard enough

(hint: in most material you want at least SOME kind of dithering/grain to make it not block like shit in flat areas, particularly dark ones, and dup really screws with that, as well as with small mouth movements and stuff like that. the gains are insignificant anyway so just don't bother)
Uhm... Dup won't remove that grain (I know, you probably didn't mean it since you very well know that, just used bad phrasing I guess), it'll only might make it appear more stable on a still scene. I personally much rather like to see "static" grain rather than some shit that jumps around like crazy even when nothing happens in a scene. I think that for an effect like this is worth using it...

@checkers
I'd be well interested in knowing what that was... I encountered problems with using 0.3 just a single time, and that was a pan on a static scene where it moved just by one single line (stupid mahou shoujo craziness). Using 0.2 helped, but then 0.2 is so low it barely affected the other, non-problematic areas.
Old 2009-02-19, 23:52   Link #291
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Uhm... Dup won't remove that grain (I know, you probably didn't mean it since you very well know that, just used bad phrasing I guess), it'll only might make it appear more stable on a still scene. I personally much rather like to see "static" grain rather than some shit that jumps around like crazy even when nothing happens in a scene. I think that for an effect like this is worth using it...
IMO dfttest-like denoising + addgrain(constant=true) is better than dup for that.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 12:11   Link #292
TGBatman

Hi again.

I'm having some weird trouble with Evangelion Rebuild 1.0 (You're Not Alone).

The thing is, the video is reported by DGIndex as Film 99.50%, Frame structure Frame.

If I use Force Film, paning scenes and the video overall stays as it should, no interlacing, combing nor dups at most scenes. BUT...

In certain scenechanges, I get some nice combing, I was not expecting it:

So, I wonder if I should just take note of all these scene changes, and freezeframe every combed frame? Or is there a better solution? I don't think this source needs IVTC, as Forced Film does what it should, except for this little problem.

This is my script, pretty simple:
Code:
crop(4,8,-4,-6).spline36resize(720,480)
TGBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 20:12   Link #293
TheFluff

if it's the R2J DVD, for some reason it isn't mastered properly. you are correct that it is indeed progressive and it really should be 100% FILM, but for some bizarre reason there seem to be missing fields at some scenechanges (they probably cut it improperly). this is why you usually don't use force film for anything less than 100% FILM, or if you do you really need to QC it carefully because you really can't trust studios to do it right.

tl;dr you need to either freezeframe every single affected scenechange (lots of effort), use YATTA (or use fieldhint() directly) to manually force a n or p match at the affected scenechanges (same effort as freezeframing pretty much) or just set dgindex to honor pulldown flags and do ivtc as usual (a lot less effort for a probably equivalent result).

Old 2009-02-20, 21:06   Link #294
TGBatman

I see, so it is badly mastered. So, doing IVTC with AnimeIVTC would suffice? I really want to avoid YATTA for an almost 2 hours movie .
Old 2009-02-22, 09:46   Link #295
TheFluff

animeivtc is overkill in that case, just do tfm().tdecimate(mode=1)

Old 2009-02-22, 12:27   Link #296
TGBatman

All right, thank you TheFluff. I'll use that, I hope it comes out without terrible combings.

EDIT: Worked like a charm

Last edited by TGBatman; 2009-02-23 at 21:09.
Old 2009-03-04, 09:29   Link #297
Miraino

What better way to learn than to ask. So here goes.

What is AR encoding?
If anyone has a guide or a process for this can you share, please.

Thought here would be the best place to ask, if not, please point me to the right place.
Miraino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 12:54   Link #298
TheFluff

AR usually stands for Aspect Ratio, beyond that I have no clue what it might mean

Old 2009-03-04, 13:08   Link #299
martino
makes no files now

Maybe how the AR gets encoded in the video stream?

ie x264 --sar or something like that.
Old 2009-03-04, 16:53   Link #300
Miraino

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 704x480 (4:3) 23.98fps [Video]
Video Size: 704 x 528

I'm talking about how it's encoded at a specific resolution, but then the aspect ratio ends up switching the resolution. Just like above. It says 704x480 but it plays at a 704x528 resolution.

Does that make sense? If so, is there an encoding guide somewhere?
Miraino is offline   Reply With Quote