AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-11-08, 04:21   Link #61
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Dayum. I'll be the happiest person in the world if Drama CD 3 gets animated. Kyouko/Mami goodness is always a win in mah book. MadoHomu i sure hope will be explosive. XDD Ahh..the awesomeness of Yuri. <<33
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 04:42   Link #62
abc0716

Oh, it will release with 3 movies instead.

Hope it will not like Nanoha or Zeta Gundam movies.
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 04:48   Link #63
pikachuwei

I just watched the final of the 2 macross Frontier movies, were frickin brilliant

if PMMM movies are able to improve on the TV series like the MacFrontier movies did, I will be a very, very happy person.
Old 2011-11-08, 06:21   Link #64
Jimmy C

If they dedicate 2 whole movies to a retelling of the series, that's actually longer than the TV series itself. Minus OP, ED and previews, the story portion of the series is about 4 hours and 20 minutes long. Assuming something similar to the last few anime movies I watched, each movie would be between 2 and 3 hours long. They could comfortably add a whole hour of extra content to the story.
The thing is, if you give equal treatment to the episodes, the breakpoint between the movies is ep6. That hardly seems like the best place to end a movie to me.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 06:38   Link #65
Sol Falling

lol wow, four pages already. Just yesterday I came to realize that what I've really been missing in my life this season/lately has been a bit of SHAFT. And so I wondered a bit about what I'd see next from them. This announcement kinda brings it home that SHAFT has really hit the big time. With [Nise/Kizu]monogatari on the horizon, and three Madoka movies in the works, much as I'm a big fan of both these franchises, what I'm really hoping is that they'll still have time for their more quirky, humbler works.

Anyway, Madoka movies, huh. The comparison brought up to stuff like mainstream shounen movies is kinda interesting, because much as Madoka has been called a "social phenomenon", in truth, all of the avenues of access to the series (NicoNico broadcasts, >1:00 am late night airings, expensive Bluerays) ultimately still seem oriented towards the "enthusiast" crowd. Although, after all the examples of "high criticism" of Madoka I've seen popping up in the wiki, I've come to appreciate the serious merit this series could potentially offer if understood as a piece of literature, I'm thinking that a box-office theatrical release could potentially spread Madoka's impact as a phenomenon even further to a mainstream, adult audience.

I wonder if SHAFT/Aniplex are mindful of this and taking these possibilities into consideration. Coincidences converged this year to grant Madoka the weight/imprint of something of a watershed significance in Japanese popular culture. I'm sure, even beyond the 70,000 BD/DVD's they've sold, many Japanese people must've heard of it without having any comprehensive or directed exposure. The conversion of Madoka for theatrical presentation is a direct opportunity to reach such individuals. For these reasons I am hoping that even in recompositing the original series SHAFT takes as many liberties as it likes.

lol, it would be great to leave the second movie on a cliffhanger. That would kick ass. I think the degree to which SHAFT show's an interest in shifting around with the old material will be in direct proportion to my hype. Well, suffice it to say, I'm excited by the possibilities.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 06:55   Link #66
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
If they dedicate 2 whole movies to a retelling of the series, that's actually longer than the TV series itself. Minus OP, ED and previews, the story portion of the series is about 4 hours and 20 minutes long. Assuming something similar to the last few anime movies I watched, each movie would be between 2 and 3 hours long. They could comfortably add a whole hour of extra content to the story.
The thing is, if you give equal treatment to the episodes, the breakpoint between the movies is ep6. That hardly seems like the best place to end a movie to me.
Compilation movies are usually between 90mins to 130mins long, so it's unlikely that it would be longer than the TV series.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 07:15   Link #67
sa547
*Author

Wait a minute... it made sense!

Several months ago, Aniplex posted out a newspaper ad calling for job applicants for an unspecified animation project, and then it turns out they're prepping up for this BIG THING.

How could I miss that? Damn.
Old 2011-11-08, 07:16   Link #68
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Assuming something similar to the last few anime movies I watched, each movie would be between 2 and 3 hours long.
Lawl, what the hell did you watch?
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 07:43   Link #69
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Wow, didn't expect this good news!
Hoping that they proceed with the project soon.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 08:07   Link #70
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Lawl, what the hell did you watch?
The Haruhi movie (2h41m), the Gundam00 movie (2h) and the Nanoha movie (2h10m)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Compilation movies are usually between 90mins to 130mins long, so it's unlikely that it would be longer than the TV series.
But, at 130mins each, they'd barely need to cut more than a few repeated scenes and some transition scenes and they'd have enough room to fit in the credit rolls.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 08:14   Link #71
Oblivion

Wait, why are they releasing two movies? Is the second movie going to be a continuation of the first or somethig completely different?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 08:17   Link #72
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
Wait, why are they releasing two movies? Is the second movie going to be a continuation of the first or somethig completely different?
It's 3 movies. Two are compilations/retellings of the original series and one is a completely new story.
Old 2011-11-08, 08:22   Link #73
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Any possibility of Oriko and Kirika appearing here?
Old 2011-11-08, 08:48   Link #74
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Hopefully this time we won't be trolled and finally get our HomuMado and KyouSaya.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 09:43   Link #75
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Thinking on this more, I'm realizing how bothered I am by what the continuation will be like. The story ends with a hopeful note and Madoka teases us with the promise of further miracles but we all know by now (including those of us who didn't expect it coming in) that if Gen is writing the story some characters are going to stay dead, the rest will go through hell, and we may get some kind of bittersweet ending if we're lucky. Besides that, unless we somehow get another "person shows up with universe changing potential", the story is pretty much finished. To continue this story means that you'd have to further rewrite the MG system (something that was implied is impossible outside of Madoka's wish), and you'd have to pull Madoka back into the story which seems difficult considering her new existence.

Barring something entirely new to shake up the story, the only thing I can think of them doing would be to finish up the existence of Mami, Kyouko, and Homura as Magical Girls in some kind of epic battle until they finally expire and go meet Sayaka and Madoka in some kind of existential "happily ever after" afterlife/reincarnation bit.

In the absence of those two possibilities all that's really left is some kind of parallel universe story like Oriko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Any possibility of Oriko and Kirika appearing here?
I'd be surprised if either of the comic adaptations end up animated, but of the two Oriko would fit the movie/OVA format better. Kazumi's story fits better (at the moment) with a television schedule. If it were either of these though, they would have likely just told us directly.
Old 2011-11-08, 10:43   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Thinking on this more, I'm realizing how bothered I am by what the continuation will be like. The story ends with a hopeful note and Madoka teases us with the promise of further miracles but we all know by now (including those of us who didn't expect it coming in) that if Gen is writing the story some characters are going to stay dead, the rest will go through hell, and we may get some kind of bittersweet ending if we're lucky.
I respectfully disagree. I certainly don't "know" that.

This is a movie, not a TV series. As a movie of a blockbuster anime franchise, it will likely be aimed at a general anime-watching audience (if not a general movie-watching audience), not just fans of dark material in general.

Gen has certain tendencies as a writer, but commercial factors can not be dismissed (incidentally, this is why I was skeptical of the idea of a 'bad end' in the original Madoka Magica anime).

Rebuild of Evangelion has done exceptionally well, and a large part of that may well have been Anno making things a little less dark than they were in the original NGE/End of Eva productions.

At the end of the day, I think that happy/bittersweet gets you more viewers, and more pleased viewers, than entirely sad/'bad end'.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-11-08 at 11:52.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 11:24   Link #77
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

I'm okay till I got one of those :
- Timeline 1 (kinda prequel)
- Homura vs Magus (sequel)
- Madoka godess mode meeting the witches we encourtered in the anime (Gertrude, Charlotte) with some footage of their MG form.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 12:26   Link #78
Key Board
Carbon

Incubator's Counterattack?

hmm..

Homura: "Magical girls are not just for show!"
QB: "Madoka could have been like a mother(lode) of energy to me"
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 12:38   Link #79
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I think they're in a different category -- the mass-production category -- not good to lump the new Madoka movies with any of them... and you forgot to mention SnT.

Then Third Impact.
The Third Impact was done by a galaxy-sized Godoka who killed her own planet-sized witch.

So will Anno and Shinbo direct the movies together? XD
Old 2011-11-08, 13:34   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Relevant bits from NewType (TL'd by symbv):

Quote:
岩・反響が放送中から大きかったので、1月頃から第2期の検討を始めていた
虚・そこで提出したプロットは放送話数1クール分に満たない分量だった
岩・TVシリーズを劇場版として見たいというスタッフの意見もあり、TVシリーズ再編集版を前後編で2本、 完全新作を1本で全3本の劇場版プロジェクトを立ち上げる事にした
I - Since the feedback was really great even during broadcast, since around January we started to consider a 2nd season.
U - But the plot that was submitted (for discussion) was not sufficient to fill up one cour...
I - And there were opinion from some staff who wanted to see the TV series in a movie format, so at the end we started the movie project in which there are altogether 3 movies - 2 movies as a two-part work of TV series rearrangement and 1 movie that is a completely new work.
Quote:
新・TVシリーズは毎回次の話が楽しみになるような「引き」を意識していたが、総集編ではそこが変わってく る
岩・TVシリーズは完成した作品だが、劇場で見る事で違う見方が出来ると思う。本当の意味でのジェットコー スタームービーになると良い
新・劇場版の総集編という言葉には浪漫がある、ヤマト然りガンダム然り、劇場のスクリーンにかかるのは作り 手としても嬉しい瞬間
蒼・劇場がイヌカレー空間になってしまうかも
虚・脚本的には尺に収める為の作業が必要だろうが、基本的にストーリーを変えるつもりはない
新・音響面は多少変わる。キャスト陣の再アフレコもしないといけないと思う
虚・再編集版は2発の打ち上げ花火で、後の完全新作に続く物だと思ってほしい
S - In the TV series we were aware of the "pulling power" that got [the watcher] to eagerly anticipate the next episode. This will change in the summary version.
I - The TV series is a work that is already complete. I think by watching the movies one can come up with a different viewpoint. If it becomes a roller-coaster movie in a true sense it will be good.
S - There is romance in the word "summary version in movie format". Be it Yamato or Gundam, for a creator the moment when he involves with the theater screen is a most happy one.
A - The theater may become a Inu-Curry space.
U - For the screenplay, there may be a need to do some work in order to fit in the length, but basically I do not plan to change the story.
S - On sound side there will be some changes. I also think the whole cast will have to do after-recording agian.
U - I want people to think that the rearrangement version as a two-shot firework, and the completely new work that comes after is its continuation.
So the new movie IS a sequel after all.

Quote:
虚・この4人が中心となった打ち合わせであるアイデアが出た事で、新作が作れる手応えを感じた
 ・TVシリーズは脚本が先行していたので自分の世界観が中心だったが、新作は「Magica Quartet」の真骨頂と言える物になる
 ・明らかに虚淵玄というライターだけでは出てこないアイデアがベースになっている、「魔法少女まどか☆マ ギカ」だから出来た物語になっている
 ・先日新作の脚本がほぼ決定稿になった。作業は順調に進んでいる
新・サブタイトルはまだ未定
 ・本当は「インキュベーターの逆襲」というタイトルにしたかった
虚・CMはキュゥべえにお願いしては
新・キュゥべえならきっと「すぐに劇場公開するなんって言っていないだろう」と言うのでは
U - During discussions that were centered around the 4 people here we came up with a certain idea, and I finally got the feeling that I am able to create a new work.
- Where as in the TV series, as the screenplay came first, my world view was at the center, in the new work it will be something that can be said to showcase the true value of "Magica Quartet".
- Some days ago the final draft of the screenplay for the new work was all but finished. The production work is progressing smoothly.
S - The subtitle is not decided yet
- I really wanted to make the title "Incubator Strikes Back".
U - Let's ask Kyubey to do the CM...
S - I am sure Kyubey will just say "you didn't say it will be released to theaters that soon, did ya?"...
Does this mean that in the new movie Kyubey is out to make everyone's lives miserable again? Fuck you, Kyubey!

Quote:
●スペシャルコメント
 簡単に。
* Special Comments
(roughly)

・庵野秀明氏:キュゥべえは記号としてのキャラとして徹底されていて気持ちいい。魔女の記号化とかも巧い、 あと音楽が良い。あと10話のほむほむの描き方がよかった。劇場版も期待しています
・佐考仁司氏:まどかとほむらのコンビはもう最高
・松井玲奈氏:10話のEDやキュゥべえが語りかけるシーンなど、心の底から楽しんだ
- Hideaki Anno: It feels good to see Kyubey to be so thoroughly worked as a symbol as well as a character. The symbolization of the witches is also skilfully done. And then the music is good. And then the way HomuHomu was depicted in Ep.10 was good. I have good expectation of the movie edition.

- Hitoshi Sakoh (apparently the guitarist of a rock band called Galileo Galilei): The pairing of Madoka and Homura is just the best!
Even Anno loves Homu. Homu is the best!!

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-11-08 at 13:55.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, movie