AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-30, 15:21   Link #1821
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
What. Seriously?

Well, glad he's getting good roles then. Looking at the list of characters he's voiced it seems he got a lot of very nonsensical characters in his career.
Old 2012-12-30, 15:30   Link #1822
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Pussy existed purely to keep male viewers going "Ewww, so much bishie sausage but at least there's Pussy to fap to!". Of course someone was at least smart to realise they should at least give her actual competence to try and justify her existence beyond being a poster girl. Now if only they did the same for Seri.
Aww, for me, Neko was one of the best things about the show. Sure, she's technically a walking cliché (not that most of the other characters aren't), but she's so ridiculously adorable, thanks to her seiyuu and her adorable antics (doodling on Kurou's face, riding the trash can robot and mimicking what it says, etc), that she's the one I'm going to miss the most from this show.

But otherwise yeah, I agree about the writer bias toward Team Red and Fushimi and Yata getting undue amounts of focus compared to their importance to the plot. This is pretty much my only significant complaint about this show. I mean, the Scepter 4 character who got the most attention as far as past and personality and relationships go is Fushimi who turned out to be only marginally involved in plot-important character interactions. (Surprise surprise, he used to be a Homra member. ) And it chafes me more than a little that Fushimi and Yata got two flashback scenes fleshing out their past and relationship, while Reishi who was directly and heavily involved in the Big Emotional Finale, had nothing of the sort. Sure, the relationship between him and Mikoto was pretty nicely written to convey what the viewers needed to know for their story to work, but it would've been nice, considering his role and all that.

And then there's stuff like the prequel manga being about Homra, or that the side Red novelization is like twice as long as the side Blue... (Or that the show never really stopped to consider that Mikoto was basically ready to let his own clan members and a schoolful of innocent students die just so he could carry out his suicide mission.)

Other than this, though, I don't really have any problem with K. It was fluff, of course, but very enjoyable fluff, with mostly enjoyable (dare I say, loveable) characters and character interaction. I liked the story format and pacing, too, and the world is interesting enough to see more of it. Just... with less Red.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 15:40   Link #1823
Bern-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What. Seriously?

Well, glad he's getting good roles then. Looking at the list of characters he's voiced it seems he got a lot of very nonsensical characters in his career.
Yes, it's good that he's getting more roles. I really liked him as Kazama in Hakuouki, especially in those live events where he did a good job making him an egocentric bastard
Old 2012-12-30, 16:55   Link #1824
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The problem was that it was just mostly panning still images and not much in the way of actual moving animation, hence a lacking in atmosphere.
That and their fighting style was very lackluster. These guys have superpowers and all they did was try to hit each other with bats and swords. I expected something more grandiose and flashy, especially in a show that had always attempted to make its fights look as cool and stylish as possible. The big battle between Homra and Specter 4 was one of the most underwhelming aspect of the final episodes. It was little more than a brawl.
Old 2012-12-30, 17:14   Link #1825
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That and their fighting style was very lackluster. These guys have superpowers and all they did was try to hit each other with bats and swords. I expected something more grandiose and flashy, especially in a show that had always attempted to make its fights look as cool and stylish as possible. The big battle between Homra and Specter 4 was one of the most underwhelming aspect of the final episodes. It was little more than a brawl.
Yeah, it was very underwhelming. I suppose this is what happens when the script is written by a bunch of novelists who can't write action (never mind mob action) for screen, and the visuals are handled by directors who don't have much experience with superpowered mob fight scenes...
Old 2012-12-30, 17:30   Link #1826
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I thought it was fine. Perhaps you all got some warped perspective on what was presented. I don't recall any of the them having very overwhelming super powers (by the usual standards), aside from the one super fast takedown of night-time-sunglass-dudes in the suburbs; but that was limited to the kid and he showed it again a few time too. If the battles were suppose to be overwhelming, then don't you think they would have been overwhelming from episode one, when a lot of action happened? The best when the two red goons chasing Shiro could do was scream at him. Note that none of the characters ever got a powerup at any point in the series, not even once—which writing wise is a plus—so there's no reason to believe they would be any stronger at the end then at any other point.

Versus normal people they probably are virtually invulnerable, but since blue vs red is suppose to be on equal footing, what epicness is there? They virtually canceled each other out (red attacks, blue shielded), logically occurred as it would have been expected to; can't say I was surprised or disappointed by that. Since the series started with the Red boss "giving up," I would think the series was a little bit above wonky fights and kame-hame-ah moments anyway.
Old 2012-12-30, 17:52   Link #1827
kuromitsu

Quote:
The best when the two red goons chasing Shiro could do was scream at him.
And then there was this little sequence...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

(Kurou's display of power was pretty damn awesome.)

Also, you forget about the fight scene between Fushimi and Yata that also had pretty nice action, or even whatshisface Yata's sidekick's little spot in the limelight during the gang fight. Etc. They did have pretty nice one-on-one action scenes, with nice use of effects and such. But somehow when it came to the "gang war" aka a crowd scene it's as if they suddenly lost all creativity and resorted to having mob characters whacking each other with swords/baseball bats. (I guess the script said "THE TWO GROUPS FIGHT" and the director said "whatever, I'm hungover"...)
Old 2012-12-30, 17:52   Link #1828
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

You know, I liked HOMRA up to the last few episodes. Taking over a school and threatening everyone? Not cool, you tools. And STFU Yata/SkaterBoi....

The only ones who don't seem to be as annoying are Kusanagi and the Loli.

I said this in the other thread, but I hope we get some more background on Reishi/Team Blue next season. Reishi seems to be the most interesting of the Kings because really....we don't know about Weissman yet and ShiroWeissman was only in it for about...two episodes?

Spoiler:
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 18:03   Link #1829
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
You know, I liked HOMRA up to the last few episodes. Taking over a school and threatening everyone? Not cool, you tools. And STFU Yata/SkaterBoi....
Seriously, I wonder what Yata would think if he realized that Mikoto was pretty much okay with him and the rest of the gang, along with people who had nothing to do with the whole conflict, becoming collateral damage... (Though to be fair, I guess Mikoto expected Reishi to move in and kill him in time, which is again, a pretty cruel thing. It would've been interesting to get a glimpse or two into Mikoto's mind...)
Old 2012-12-30, 18:09   Link #1830
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Seriously, I wonder what Yata would think if he realized that Mikoto was pretty much okay with him and the rest of the gang, along with people who had nothing to do with the whole conflict, becoming collateral damage... (Though to be fair, I guess Mikoto expected Reishi to move in and kill him in time, which is again, a pretty cruel thing. It would've been interesting to get a glimpse or two into Mikoto's mind...)
As soon as Reishi said something to him in the first few episodes, in the jail, I had a feeling that Suoh would wind up dying. Love to know why those two seemed to have been on somewhat friendly terms though.

After reading the manga, HOMRA invading the school and terrorizing everyone just seemed out of character.

SkaterBoi is the worst character that Fukuyama's ever voiced. Damn he's annoying...so is Miyano's character, but at least Miyano's character seemed to get it somewhat in the end.

And Kurou has made me an Ono fan for life now.
Old 2012-12-30, 18:16   Link #1831
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
And then there was this little sequence...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

(Kurou's display of power was pretty damn awesome.)
Isn't that blondie fighting?

We get a pretty clear distrinction between blondie and skatebor kid compared to average clansmen. Same with blues when it comes to Shimi and the pantyless women.
Old 2012-12-30, 18:36   Link #1832
Arya

Quote:
As soon as Reishi said something to him in the first few episodes, in the jail, I had a feeling that Suoh would wind up dying. Love to know why those two seemed to have been on somewhat friendly terms though.
I have this kind of idea about that. If we think about Yata and Fushimi, well, to be honest they got more focus than they deserved. You could take out Yata from the show and nothing would change. At least Fushimi got some interaction with Seri (that sadly seems to have eyes only for Munakata), but in the end you could take him out too. So why give them so much focus instead of the two kings? Maybe the writers tried to show us the kings relationship through Fushimi/Yata: they were two close friends, but (red/blue) power divided them etc etc. Maybe the writers thought it could have been a smart way to characterize 4 characters at the cost of 2
Don't know if it makes sense, probably not

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 18:45   Link #1833
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
After reading the manga, HOMRA invading the school and terrorizing everyone just seemed out of character.
That's my impression as well, none of them question what Mikoto is doing at all in invading the school and act, well, a lot more thuggish than they did in the manga and I found the difference a bit jarring.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 19:05   Link #1834
kuromitsu

Quote:
Isn't that blondie fighting?

We get a pretty clear distrinction between blondie and skatebor kid compared to average clansmen. Same with blues when it comes to Shimi and the pantyless women.
I don't think this was ever confirmed anywhere? Later on Yata does actually use his power on Kurou, and then has full-out fights with Fushimi, and nothing suggests that he's particularly weak. And there were scenes of people using their powers during the gang fight, on both sides... it's just the crowd scenes that were ridiculously unimaginative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Maybe the writers tried to show us the kings relationship through Fushimi/Yata: they were two close friends, but (red/blue) power divided them etc etc. Maybe the writers thought it could have been a smart way to characterize 4 characters at the cost of 2
It seems to me it was basically for fanservice? The writers obviously know what kind of dynamics attract what kind of audience. There are some very blatantly "targeted" merchandise out there for these two. What I wonder about is why couldn't they do this with characters who were, you know, actually important to the plot...

Quote:
There is a manga adaptation. By what I've read about it, it shows the relationship of all red gang clansmen. I'm assuming that involves their king too. I haven't read it, but if you're interested you might want to go skim though it.
Pretty much all of the supplementary materials deal with the Reds. There's a manga about Kurou's backstory and a novel about the Sexy Corps but as far as I know it's pretty much a standalone story from the POV of a mob character.
Old 2012-12-30, 20:22   Link #1835
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I have this kind of idea about that. If we think about Yata and Fushimi, well, to be honest they got more focus than they deserved. You could take out Yata from the show and nothing would change. At least Fushimi got some interaction with Seri (that sadly seems to have eyes only for Munakata), but in the end you could take him out too. So why give them so much focus instead of the two kings? Maybe the writers tried to show us the kings relationship through Fushimi/Yata: they were two close friends, but (red/blue) power divided them etc etc. Maybe the writers thought it could have been a smart way to characterize 4 characters at the cost of 2
Maybe. At least Fushimi finally stfu at the end when Suoh died while SkaterBoi just kept wanting to fight, even when EVERYONE finally calmed down thanks to ShiroWeissman and Suoh's deaths.

Are those two and HOMRA uber popular over in Japan and no one likes Team Blue?

I hope ShiroWeissman does show up in another body...it's sad but I actually like Shiro more as Weissman then I did before.
Old 2012-12-30, 20:42   Link #1836
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Aww, for me, Neko was one of the best things about the show. Sure, she's technically a walking cliché (not that most of the other characters aren't), but she's so ridiculously adorable, thanks to her seiyuu and her adorable antics (doodling on Kurou's face, riding the trash can robot and mimicking what it says, etc), that she's the one I'm going to miss the most from this show.
I actually think I may have liked her in a different series where she would feel more natural in.

Quote:
That's what I got out of it too, that Mikoto banked on Reisi stopping him before things ever got to that point. Perhaps he even mobilised HOMRA just to make sure that Secpter4 and in turn Reisi would have to involve themselves no matter what but of course, in the end we wouldn't really know because they never got the exposure they needed (That pointless Misaki/Fushimi flashback? Sure would've been a chance to make it a Mikoto/Reisi one!).

As it stands the few relevant characters that got just the right amounts of exposure and fleshing out were Blacky and Tatara. Okay, maybe Anna and Pussy too.

EDIT:
Quote:
Are those two and HOMRA uber popular over in Japan and no one likes Team Blue?
How could they not be more popular when the existing material favours them more? Even from the beginning there were more HOMRA members introduced in the characters page and subsequently given further exposure in the supplementary materials. We only had three Scepter4 members introduced and the rest were treated as 'everyone else'. I mean I understand that HOMRA are more important since they're directly involved in the main conflict at hand but the cast imbalance still irks me.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 20:54   Link #1837
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
As it stands the few relevant characters that got just the right amounts of exposure and fleshing out were Blacky and Tatara. Okay, maybe Anna and Pussy too.
I don't really care for Totsuka, but Blacky, Anna and Pussy were the best characters in the whole thing. Kusanagi doesn't seem as big as a douche as the rest of HOMRA, so hopefully he's the next King...

Quote:
How could they not be more popular when the existing material favours them more? Even from the beginning there were more HOMRA members introduced in the characters page and subsequently given further exposure in the supplementary materials. We only had three Scepter4 members introduced and the rest were treated as 'everyone else'. I mean I understand that HOMRA are more important since they're directly involved in the main conflict at hand but the cast imbalance still irks me.
Ok..first off? I didn't know there was more with HOMRA than with anyone else. Actually, if anything, I would figure there would be loads of Kurou/Shiro stuff. I read the Memories of Red manga...it's okay...but man oh man, I hope next season isn't going to be all about HOMRA.
Old 2012-12-30, 20:57   Link #1838
mayumi

homura got all the pandering because of tatara's character, who turned out to be lying about mikoto's character, imo. mikoto did nothing worthy to say he was protecting people when he pretty much put his clan members and school students in danger when he wanted revenge. i guess this is why mikoto says to izumo that he was more right than tatara. perhaps tatara was just a guy who could stop mikoto's impulses to hurt people reminding him his power is to protect. But that just means mikoto probably was always a hot head but because he was king he could never go out of control lest he hurt people.

then we are supposed to believe he is some sort of hero cause he died but we have to accept him as a great king because he got revenge at the expense of silver king and blue king. i understand they want to say red abd blue king had a bond and that mikoto knew reisi could stop him but it was really cruel to reisi.

i would love to see scepter4 and especially reisi's character explored but it looks like reisi was just a guy they love to hurt
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 20:59   Link #1839
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
homira got all the pandering because of tatara's character who turned out to be lying about mikoto's character, imo. mikoto did nothing worthy to say he was protecting people when he pretty much put his clan members and school students in danger when he wanted revenge.

then we are supposed to believe he is some sort of hero cause he died but we have to accept him as a great king because he got revenge at the expense of silver king and blue king.
Suoh's an ass.

Though really.....in regards to Shiro, it's all the Colorless King/Gollum/Fox Thing's fault for killing off Totsuka...which set off Suoh and the rest of HOMRA in the first place.
Old 2012-12-30, 21:17   Link #1840
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
I don't really care for Totsuka, but Blacky, Anna and Pussy were the best characters in the whole thing. Kusanagi doesn't seem as big as a douche as the rest of HOMRA, so hopefully he's the next King...
As far as the anime's narrative is concerned, Tatara had just enough exposure befitting his role as a story catalyst, leaving the rest of him to the supplementary material instead of eating up other character's potential screentime, which is exactly what GoRA are guilty of doing with Misaki & Fushimi. The same applies to Anna. We know what makes her tick and that she's a Strain and her overall relevance isn't that high so that's good enough. If anyone want to know more they can go look outside of the anime. Now that you mentioned him, Kusanagi also counts. I may not like Pussy but I do think as a character she was given the necessary exposure to know her as a character, though that's admittedly because there wasn't much about her to flesh out in the first place. I would have disqualified her had they not gradually reduce her screentime as the Kings conflict become more prominent.

But yeah, I do hope the sequel becomes much more focused on the characters that need it and if they end up wanting to give HOMRA the spotlight again they better darn well give Scepter4 just as much focus in return. Tatara's been dead from the start, Mikoto's also dead and Anna may have even less things to do now so my interest in HOMRA lies mainly on Kusanagi and Seri's relationship.

Alternatively, make the other two Kings the main character and focus on them with everyone else reduced to side characters. That works too.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural