AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-09, 20:42   Link #1201
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
I'll be visiting Japan soon, do they still cosplay at Harajuku on Sunday? I've heard they moved to Tokyo dome because cosplay gatherings has been prohibited at Harajuku? Any other places beside Tokyo dome which is comparable to what Harajuku was?
There are still cosplayers (goth-lolis mainly) between Harajuku station and Yoyogi entrance, but as guardian_enzo wrote not as many as 10 years ago and the same is true for all the subcultures that used to gather in and around Yoyogi park.

If you want to cosplay, check this site for events, themes and entrance fees (when existing for participants and observers)... in between, it makes all the sense in the world that organizers will charge more the photographers, and depending on the event and organizers charge less or nothing the observers.

In any case, if you want to cosplay or photograph for free there is always comiket, and it's insanely long lines to get to, enter, change clothes, find a spot, change back, and leave
Old 2013-06-10, 01:47   Link #1202
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the quick replies. We weren't specifically going for the cosplay, it was just mentioned a lot online and i thought it would be nice to check it out, as i've never seen any cosplay before :P

But if it's paid these days in Tokyo Dome, guess we will just pass on it. Perhaps we will see some cosplayers on our way from Harajuku to Yoyogi park.

Too bad though, I was kinda looking forward to it.

How is the quality of the Tokyo dome cosplay btw? Just out of curiosity

And thanks for the link AmeNoJaku, but we can't read Japanese And we probably won't be changing our initial plans to specifically visit a cosplay event unless it's on one of the locations we had in mind already.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 08:50   Link #1203
walkofshane

Thanks for the tip on Harajuku Sundays. I am planning on visiting Tokyo in September. When I was in Japan for the first time, I wasn't able to go around much in Tokyo because my trip was mostly in Kansai. I only spent 4 days in Tokyo and one of that was wasted in Disneyland ^^;
I haven't even been to Universal Studios. I heard it's even more awesome than the one in Singapore.
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 17:55   Link #1204
Alchemist007
*Author

Does anyone know of a site(s) with accounts of expatriates living in Japan? I've been wondering what it's like for (Americans in particular) foreigners who moved there and the change their lifestyles have taken.
Old 2013-07-31, 18:34   Link #1205
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Does anyone know of a site(s) with accounts of expatriates living in Japan? I've been wondering what it's like for (Americans in particular) foreigners who moved there and the change their lifestyles have taken.
Most english language sites with info about Japan are frequented by americans living there (visitjapan, gaijinpot, etc). You can also try out meetup.com, I think they had one or two groups for homesick americans
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 19:59   Link #1206
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Gaijinpot is the most trafficked. But beware - while there's good info there, many of the posters are quite frankly a-holes who love to mock and belittle any newbie who dares try to contribute.

I moved to Japan from the US about 9 months ago and have a "Tokyo Diaries" tab on my site, if you're interested in one view on the move.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 18:22   Link #1207
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Gaijinpot is the most trafficked. But beware - while there's good info there, many of the posters are quite frankly a-holes who love to mock and belittle any newbie who dares try to contribute.

I moved to Japan from the US about 9 months ago and have a "Tokyo Diaries" tab on my site, if you're interested in one view on the move.
I AGREE! I WAS ONCED OUT THERE! I've been into Japanese forum sites before because it was my dream to be able to go to Japan and make a living there. Now I've been into gaijinpot, I was hoping to improve my language there and ask for some advice on how will I be able to go there starting from zero. Most of them will just mock you and will belittle you. Seriously, I've been into arguments against them, I was clearly insulted but people takes sides, they didn't considered how I was being insulted and got offended. I don't recommend this site either, they are not helping, generally discouraging. My friend was right though, nihonjin are really kind but just shy, the arrogant ones are those gaijins, trying to discourage newbies as if they never once became one.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 15:58   Link #1208
Alchemist007
*Author

I was looking into teaching positions but it seems like a pretty hard way of life for most.
Old 2013-08-18, 08:02   Link #1209
walkofshane

Quote:
Hey there. You might want to try expat-blog.com or any expat living related. They have discussions for many countries, including Japan.
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 15:23   Link #1210
SirAidan
yourSavior and 救済者

Post Going to Tokyo !!

Hey guys

I'll be going to Tokyo this friday

There I will stay in a host family for about 5 weeks.

Can you give me any advice what I should visit or do?

Is there anything you always wanted to know about japan, culture, japanese...
Post it and i will try to find it out while i am there.

thanks for you comments.
Old 2013-09-08, 15:27   Link #1211
SummeryDreams

Seriously, plan for it when you get there, why? No one can count all the good places that you can visit when you're in Tokyo. I mean, if you live in the city proper, basically, everything is just in front of your eyes, and all you have to do is visit it 1 by 1. I'd say, 5 weeks is not enough to enjoy Tokyo. Atleast, that's what my friends had told me when they visited there like few months ago.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 16:00   Link #1212
LeoXiao
思想工作

There is already a "visiting japan" thread, but congratulations. Make sure you spend as much time as possible possible talking to people and looking at the country and not sitting in front of the computer. EDIT: Also don't tell them you like anime, unless they bring it up. Even then, be modest.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 16:12   Link #1213
Solafighter
Hige

Are you gonna stay the whole 5 weeks only in Tokyo?

I know many places, but 5 weeks is a lot of time.. If you don't have school/work or something of that sort.
Old 2013-09-08, 20:38   Link #1214
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAidan View Post
Hey guys

thanks for you comments.
anime/manga related: Have a stroll in Akihabara and Nakano broadway. Also check if there is a Commitia or Comic Sunshine expos when you are there, they are way less crowded than Comiket and Comic1, which means you get more chances to talk with the artists and having to wait 1-2 hours per line.

landscape gardens and parks: Yoyogi and Ueno parks are nice to chill out and are free. Shinjuku Gyoen looks beautiful in autumn colors. Also if you have time pay a visit to Kiyomsumi and Hamarikyu gardens.

historical/religious related: Start with the National Museum in Ueno to get some context, then Meiji, Kanda, Hie shrines, as well as the buddhist complex of Asakusa.

daytrips: Kamakura (for temples and shrines) and Nikkou (Tokugawa graves and an amazing national park)

castles: Unfortunately there is non close to Tokyo that worths the visit when one has traveled west of Nagoya, so I guess Odawa is your best bet.

must-do long trip: Kyoto!!!!!

must-do very-long-trip: Matsue and Izumo in Shimane, Kyuushu too but it's really far even by Shinkansen.

OK, back to Tokyo...

contemporary architecture/views: Ride the creepy Yurikamome over the Rainbow Bridge to Odaiba and walk around the island. Tokyo Sky Tree, Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku Goverment Biulding, for views of the city from very different locations. You can also try Tokyo Dome and that mall in Roppongi.

rock/metal related: GODZ and MOTHER bars in Kabuki-chou. The staff and most japanese can speak at least basic english, and you get to pick music... they are open from 22:00-5:00 everyday... so if you like to listen anything from U2 to Craddle of Filth, you must check them out!

meat markets/dancing: Ageha is a little better then Gaspanic and the like.

teenage fashion: start from Shibuya and walk along the shopping street to Roppongi, this will give you a good sample of how japanese fashion victims progress from lolis to old hags

experiences (not pleasant, but unique): Tsukiji fish market, Shinjuku station during rush hour, Shinkansen, kombini, maid/buttler cafes, Tora no Ana, pachinko, arcades (particularly if you can spectate a trournament).

These come from the top of my head
Old 2013-09-08, 20:50   Link #1215
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Umm....is the Yurikamome supposed to be haunted or something? I was riding it too .__.
Old 2013-09-08, 20:52   Link #1216
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Umm....is the Yurikamome supposed to be haunted or something? I was riding it too .__.
It is when you are afraid of heights and/or edges
Old 2013-09-08, 23:14   Link #1217
YF19EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAidan View Post
Hey guys

thanks for you comments.

Well 5 weeks is a lot of time. It would be a good time to traverse the whole country. A JR Rail pass would be recommended if you can get one on short notice. Be aware they have different length of time they can be used and costs accordingly. Initial cost is pretty expensive even for a week. But several uses on a Shinkansen and daily use on the JR rails especially in Tokyo will more than pay for itself. Being able to run around from one end of the country to the other in a day or so is great.

3 years ago, I based myself out of Osaka and took a week to hit up, Hiroshima (Kure for the Yamato Musium), Kyoto, Okayama, Himeji etc.

Within Tokyo itself, there is more than enough to eat up a week or two's time if you pace yourself. Most of the places already mentioned are good to go.

Tips for Akihabara: It is easier to run around Akihabara in the middle of the week when most people are at work. Toward the afternoon as everyone gets out and the shops fill up fast and get crowded. Needless to say weekends are also crazy. I do recommend Akihabara on Sunday when they close the main street and everyone can walk from one end to the other without traffic through out the day. On a side note, I was unfortunately in Akihabara at the time of the massacre in 2008 which canceled the Sunday closings for several years. Earlier this year was the first time I returned to Aki on a Sunday. Now they cord-den off the end streets with vehicle spike barriers to prevent any vehicle entry as that is what caused the initial casualties during that incident.

Tokyo Game Show (TGS) is next week on the 21-22 at Makuhari Messa in Chiba. I need to get in a demo of Ace Combat if the lines are not too crazy.

Also take in the Edo Tokyo Museum, Tokyo Tower, then Skytree. This will be my first attempt at trying to get into the Skytree since its opening, so I hope the ticket lines and ques won't be too bad.

One of the other items to mention, is that the city looks and feels different during the day and at night. I would recommend visiting certain areas at different times to get a contrasting experience. For instance, Shibuya is busy through out the day but comes alive at night. The Asakusa shrine is also quite different in day and night. Same goes for observation decks in high places such as The Skytree, Tokyo Tower, Landmark Tower etc.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 01:51   Link #1218
SirAidan
yourSavior and 救済者

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Well 5 weeks is a lot of time. It would be a good time to traverse the whole country. A JR Rail pass would be recommended if you can get one on short notice. Be aware they have different length of time they can be used and costs accordingly. Initial cost is pretty expensive even for a week. But several uses on a Shinkansen and daily use on the JR rails especially in Tokyo will more than pay for itself. Being able to run around from one end of the country to the other in a day or so is great.

3 years ago, I based myself out of Osaka and took a week to hit up, Hiroshima (Kure for the Yamato Musium), Kyoto, Okayama, Himeji etc.

Within Tokyo itself, there is more than enough to eat up a week or two's time if you pace yourself. Most of the places already mentioned are good to go.

Tips for Akihabara: It is easier to run around Akihabara in the middle of the week when most people are at work. Toward the afternoon as everyone gets out and the shops fill up fast and get crowded. Needless to say weekends are also crazy. I do recommend Akihabara on Sunday when they close the main street and everyone can walk from one end to the other without traffic through out the day. On a side note, I was unfortunately in Akihabara at the time of the massacre in 2008 which canceled the Sunday closings for several years. Earlier this year was the first time I returned to Aki on a Sunday. Now they cord-den off the end streets with vehicle spike barriers to prevent any vehicle entry as that is what caused the initial casualties during that incident.

Tokyo Game Show (TGS) is next week on the 21-22 at Makuhari Messa in Chiba. I need to get in a demo of Ace Combat if the lines are not too crazy.

Also take in the Edo Tokyo Museum, Tokyo Tower, then Skytree. This will be my first attempt at trying to get into the Skytree since its opening, so I hope the ticket lines and ques won't be too bad.

One of the other items to mention, is that the city looks and feels different during the day and at night. I would recommend visiting certain areas at different times to get a contrasting experience. For instance, Shibuya is busy through out the day but comes alive at night. The Asakusa shrine is also quite different in day and night. Same goes for observation decks in high places such as The Skytree, Tokyo Tower, Landmark Tower etc.
Thank you a lot. I have an idea now, what to visit and what to do. Akihabara sounds really great. I could pass a lot of time there. I like video games and anime, so perfect place.
My school is just 20 minutes away from Akihabara.

I keep in mind that the places look different in night or day.

Is there any food I have to try or should NOT eat ?
Old 2013-09-09, 19:25   Link #1219
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Avoid natto. Apart from that, you're fine!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 20:04   Link #1220
YF19EX

Ah Food!

I remember reading an article about Tokyo beating our I believe Paris as having the best restaurants in the world. I can believe that. Never will you ever find an abundance of everything from vending machines at ever turn, from 250 yen beef bowls (good for breakfast, lunch and dinner) to the extravagant at the top of the Tokyo Park Hyatt (there are probably even more expensive but that's as most I have paid).

I digress as I am probably not the best when it comes to food due to my picky nature. I avoid seafood, and as long as it involves pork, chicken, hamburger (or beef in general) and deep frying, I am good! But the place has every possible want imaginable.

I like starting in coffee shops and French Pastery Shops like Via de France or places likes Becks, First Kitchen and yes even the occasional Starbucks.

Lunch and dinnner can range from the local Katsu Shops, Ramen to places like Matsuya Beef Bowls to expensive places require reservations in advance etc.

Probably some food connoisseur around here is probably bleeding from the eyes at some of the places mentioned, but it goes to show, around every corner of Tokyo, you will not be without food options. Variety is the spice of life and well, you can't get any better than this place!
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel