AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-01-26, 18:06   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Win7 can't detect all 6TB of WD green

Having returned an external Toshiba 6TB Canvio due to its overheating issues, I bought an internal WD 6TB Green and a "1life" external enclosure.

My Win7 premium 64bits allocates only 2TB, even with GPT. I don't understand why since:

- I already have an internal Seagate 3TB e an external WD 3TB, windows allocated the entirety of the 3TB right from the start for both of them, no need for me to allocate the drive manually;
- My Win7 allocated all 6TB of the previously mentioned Toshiba 6TB Canvio;
- My BIOS has UEFI enabled, I checked on the boot menu.

Not even EASEUS Partition Master or DiskPart managed to solve the problem, still 2TB...

Current BIOS version: BEH6110H.86A.0034.2011.1018.1937
Motherboard: Intel DH61SA

What am I missing?

EDIT: I got suspicious of the 1life enclosure case, could its SATA-USB module be pulling a trick on me? So I got the disk out and inserted in on the docking station I own (http://www.b-move.es/en/product/dock-station/30/). Only then Win7 Disk Management showed the other 3,5 unallocated TB! All I had do to was remove the existing 2TB volume and format the new 6TB volume. I put the disk back in the case and Win7 still detects the 6TB single partition.

Could it really be the SATA-USB module?

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2016-01-26 at 20:02. Reason: Solution found!
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-27, 11:16   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
It does look like that enclosure is the source of the issue, but to make absolutely sure you should take the hard drive out of the enclosure and (if you have a spare SATA lead even though they can be gotten cheaply enough if you know where to look) connect it directly to your computer, and if it does see the whole drive then take it back or just use it if you get a 2TB hard drive.

I don't really have any alternative options for external enclosures that can take 6TB drives since the last time I purchased an enclosure was when PATA/EIDE drives were still around.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-31, 14:49   Link #3
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

The other day I accidentally removed the USB cable when transferring data form the PC to the new 6TB drive. The volume disappeared instantly and the disk management had the disk as RAW instead of NTFS. That's when I realized you were right to worry, so I decided to install the HDD inside the PC.

The only thing is that the power supply does not have spare plugs. I tried disconnecting the DVD-ROM and plugging the 6TB HDD with the DVD+ROM SATA+power.
EDIT: I also have two 4 pin peripheral power cables. Are there any adaptors for SATA?

As so as I pressed the boot button, Windows 7 instantly corrected files labels misplacement (or whatever it was), the volume name and letter returned to normal, even the files where accessible. Still, I decided to format the disk again, just in case, since I still had all data in the original hard drives.

The HDD seems fine so far. However, for some reason, in the toolbar's "remove devices" menu the 6TB (now internal HDD) seems to be able to be removed under the user group name ("PETER-PC", in my case) following the HDD description, like if it was an external HDD, USB pen drive or a printer.

Can I just leave it like that or should I remove the disk from the PC?

Tags
6tb, detect issues, green, western digital, win7